Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Skull

King Black Dragon

King Black Dragon

Written By: Dr Skull

Originally Written By: Knight Sean

Special Thanks To: Gazisere, Doom, Fabio, Josh, W1z K1ll1ng, packman9898, Eclipse, Chewylobster, Noisia, Alex, tulio, Roy, Ambo100

The King Black Dragon, also known as the KBD, is a three-headed, level 276, massive dragon and was once the most powerful creature in RuneScape. The rewards are high, but so are the risks. Are you up for the challenge?

What You Need

It is suggested that you do not use magic attacks, because you can't wear armor that will protect you from the KBD's attacks while successfully casting magic spells.

Whether you are using melee or range, you absolutely need an anti-dragon shield, otherwise you'll get burned to a crisp.

Melee

Weapon – Any one-handed dragon weapon or whip

Armor – Rune, dragon, or barrows

Helmet - Helm of Neitiznot, Berserker Helmet, or Warrior Helmet

Boots – Rune, dragon

Gloves – RFD gloves, FOG gauntlets, or vambraces

Amulet – Strength amulet, glory, or fury

Ring - Ring of wealth or ring of life

Cape – Fire cape or Skill cape (If you don't have either, any cape works)

72a807.png

Your inventory should look something like this:

2uiw7c3.gif

You can replace the super set with more food. You need the super antipoison pot because there are poison spiders right outside the entrance to the KBD and you can also be poisoned by one of the KBD's attacks. The super antipoison also makes you immune to poison for five minutes, rather than the regular antipoison which just cures your poison. You can also replace the sharks with monkfish, lobsters, or baskets of fruit. It is suggested that you don't take anything that heals lower than 12hp.

Range

Weapon – Rune crossbow (Without this you will not do much damage)

Armor – Void Knight, black or red dragonhide, or Karil's

Helmet - Helm of Neitiznot, archer helmet, a coif, or void ranger helm (Only if you have the rest of the void outfit)

Boots - Ranger boots or snakeskin boots

Gloves – RFD gloves, vambraces, or Void Knight Gloves

Amulet – Glory or fury

Ring - Ring of wealth or ring of life

Cape – Ava's Accumulator

16m222o.png

dy1161.gif

You can replace the ranging potion with more food. You need the super antipoison pot because there are poison spiders right outside the entrance to the KBD and you can also be poisoned by one of the KBD's attacks. The super antipoison also makes you immune to poison for five minutes, rather than the regular antipoison which just cures your poison. You can also replace the sharks with monkfish, lobsters, or baskets of fruit. It is suggested that you don't take anything that heals lower than 12hp.

How to Get There

There are a few ways to get to the KBD other than walking there (Which isn't a good idea, seeing as the KBD is in level 42 Wilderness). Using the Ardougne lever, obelisks, walking from Bounty Hunter, canoes and Lava Titan.

Ardougne Lever

The Ardougne lever will teleport you to level 54 Wilderness. You will need a sharp object such as a sword to cut through a web once you are in the Wilderness.

kbdguidepicturestq3.png

kbdguidepictures17hp0.png

You now must walk to the KBD lair. On the way, you will encounter Hellhounds, wolves, Giant Spiders, Deadly Red Spiders, and possibly Revenants.

kbdguidepictures2va8.png

Obelisks

Walk to the obelisk in level 13 Wilderness. Click on one of the four pillars in the corner, and then walk to the center. You will teleport to another random obelisk. You are aiming for the obelisk in level 44 Wlderness.

kbdguidepictures3kt6.png

kbdguidepictures18ms4.png

You are aiming for the obelisk in level 44 Wilderness. Then it is a short walk from there to the KBD lair.

kbdguidepictures4uz1.png

Bounty Hunter

Teleport to bounty hunter using a games necklace, and then walk to the KBD lair.

kbdguidepictures19og7.png

5ehjyc.png

Canoes

***This method requires 57 Woodcutting***

Go to any canoe station and choose the Waka canoe. Then choose the Wilderness as your destination. You will end up in level 35 Wilderness. You then must walk to the KBD lair.

kbdguidepictures20mi8.png

Lava Titan

***This method requires 83 Summoning***

After you Summon your Lava Titan, use it to teleport. You'll end up right outside the KBD entrance.

kbdguidepictures13jy8.png

Entrance to the Lair

Once you get inside the fence, run past the lesser demons and climb down the ladder that's straight ahead of you.

kbdguidepictures14nl5.png

Then pull the lever. Remember to check your chatbox to see if you were poisoned by the poison spiders!

kbdguidepictures15cq4.png

Strategy

Summoning

It is suggested that you take a Beast of Burden (BOB), in which you take extra food or potions. Unless you have a very good Summoning level (90+), don't take attacking familiars. If you have 88+ Summoning, take a unicorn stallion and a lot of Healing Aura scrolls. This will save you a lot of inventory space because you won't need food. If you have 68 Summoning, instead of a Beast of Burden, you can take a bunyip, although make sure you bring food too.

Going With A Group

If it's your first time going to the KBD, you should go with a few other people who know what they're doing, just so you get a feel for it. Even if you aren't going for the first time, if you're under level 95 combat (Without Summoning), you should still go with a group. Here's a list of how many people you should have in your group depending on your combat level. (Combat levels do not include Summoning)

Combat Level 95-105 - 1-2 People

Combat Level 80-95 - 2-4 People

Combat Level 65-80 - 5-7 People

Combat Level 50-65 - 8-12 People

Combat Level 50 and Under - 14+ People

If you want to share your drops evenly, then you should have lootshare/coinshare on, which requires being on a lootshare world. This will mean that it will be harder to find an empty KBD world, so you'll either have to keep hopping until you find an empty world, or you can just help whoever else is already there kill the KBD.

Going Solo

If you are experienced with the KBD, it is suggested that you be at least 95 combat without Summoning and have at least 80 range and defence in order to kill it efficiently without hassle, and if you aren't experienced, it is suggested that you be at least 105 combat without Summoning. Since it will be only you against the KBD, you don't need to share your drops with anyone. This means you don't need to be on a lootshare world, so you will be able to find an empty world quicker.

kbdguidepictures9zl3.png

How To Kill the KBD

If you're in a group, make a circle around the dragon. That way it will spin around in circles trying to attack everyone, and only getting in a few attacks. This will minimize the amount of attacks from the KBD.

If you are soloing, stand in the KBD's melee area and pray melee. This protects you from his melee attack and also reduces the chance of him using his three breath attacks, saving a lot of food and potions. Since you will be using prayer the whole time, you can replace some of your food for prayer potions, seeing as you won't need much food.

KBD's Attacks

Melee - This can hit over twenty, so be prepared.

Poison Blast - This attack will poison you. While rare, it will probably happen at least once if you are killing the KBD a few times.

Freeze Blast - This attack will freeze you in place. While rare, it will probably happen at least once if you are killing the KBD a few times.

Fire Breath - If you have an anti-dragon shield, this will most likely not hit above five. If you are using an antifire potion and an anti-dragon shield, then this attack will most likely not hit above zero.

Rewards

Finally, the beast is dead, and you get the loot! There's many things the KBD can drop, such as:

Adamant Platebody

Black Dragonhide (100% Drop)

Coins (3000)

Crimson Charms (4)

Draconic Visage

Dragon Bones (100% Drop)

Dragon Medium Helmet

King Black Dragon Head

Iron Arrows (600)

Shield Left Half

Uncut Sapphire

Uncut Emerald

Uncut Ruby

Yew Logs (100 - Noted)

~Dr Skull

Edited by Dr Skull

Karil's crossbow is 2 handed in case you didn't know. :aware:

Hmm... I suppose that could cause a slight problem... :)

~Dr Skull

Please also note that they will 100% need 61+ Range and use a Rune C'Bow is you are going to range. The other bows will not kill fast enough to stay alive, unless your in a team. Even so, if your in a team you will not get any drops unless you have lootshare/coinshare. :)

-gazisere :aware:

I need someone to get the range outfit picture. You need black d-hide and a rune crossbow. Try to get as close to the rest as you can.

~Dr Skull

Edited by Dr Skull

All potions should be 4dosed, games necklace to BH then walking is a fast way to get to KBD, as is Lava Titan if you have the required Summoning level. Void > black dragonhide/karils, you can't wear Void helm and not body, skirt and gloves otherwise you don't get the bonuses, so update that. Dragon boots are stupid for ranging as they give -range attack and you don't need defence at the KBD. ALWAYS take accumalator if ranging, as it picks up your bolts and gives +4 range attack, easily outstripping any other cape for ranged, it's also very cheap to replace and required a very easy quest to access. As long as you have a decent gravestone you should easily be able to get back in time if you die, although accumalator dissapears if you die, so a gravestone won't help you keep it. Godswords and Veracs also work well, where they really shine is in big teams, pray mage with an antifire potion and the KBD's fire doesn't hit much, take off pray and he'll easily do 45+, so watch out for that. If soloing, always (unless you don't have a shield) pray melee and stand in his melee range. Protect from melee protects you from 100% of his melee attack whereas no other prayer helps at all if you have a shield (and antifire). Praying melee means he has less chance to use his three breath attacks and therefore saves you A LOT of food/potions. Onto the inventory, brews are great at the KBD in teams. Baskets of fruit (which add up to over 22 hp) are great too, especially in teams, the bigger the better. KBD heads are a lot more common than Visages, I've never got a Visage from the KBD whereas I've got his heads three times, and 5+ Dragon meds, both Coinshared and not Coinshared. If you bring brews remember to bring restore pots (super are best as they give prayer too, however are a lot more expensive. Sanfew serums are great too as they have antiposion included, as well). :aware:

Familiar wise, it's best to bring either a healing familiar or Beast of Burden. If you use a Lava Titan to teleport just outside the KBD's lair, take a pouch for a healing familiar (Unicorn Stallion is best) as well and as you arrive, dismiss the titan and summon the healer. Level 79 titans aren't listed as healers, but their scrolls heal 8 hitpoints and boost defence slightly, so they're very useful. Don't worry about running out of points, there is a small obelisk inside the lair, in the most north-western corner. Also don't take a Beast of Burden as well as a Lava Titan, as you won't have access the a bank after teleporting so won't be able to fill it.

If you have anymore questions, just ask. :)

Wow! That's a lot of information. Thanks so much Josh. :) Now for some questions and other stuff. :)

1. For range, if you shouldn't take dragon boots, what should you take?

2. Where exactly does the Lava Titan teleport you? Mark it on a map with a circle or something maybe? :P

3. Godswords don't really work, because then you don't have an anti-dragon shield.

4. Is praying mage (When in group) really necissary?

5. Too bad KBD heads aren't tradeable. :aware:

6. I totally forgot about familiars! :) I'll find a place for them... Somewhere. :)

7. For soloing, if you are praying melee the whole time, does that mean you should bring prayer pots?

8. Are dragon bones and black dragonhide 100% drops? (AKA he always drops them) (Answered in below post)

Also, for some reason my Bounty Hunter image has been resized. Anyone know how to get it back to original size? (I'm using Imageshack to upload it)

Edit: Added some more. :P

~Dr Skull

Edited by Dr Skull

I. A glory would be better than a Str Ammy because of the teleports.

II. An Anti-Fire Potion is a must for Rangers

III. The KBD is a member.

IV. You can take the Canoe to get quite close but I don't know where.

V. KBD Attacks: Meele, Poison Blast, Freeze Blast, and the infamous Fire Breath.

VI. Watch out for the Poinsonous Spiders in the little room with the Teleport Lever.

VII. Try to Include a pic of the Room with the Teleport Lever.

VIII. It was the strongest monster back in the day :).

IX. The KBD drops Black Dragon Hide and Dragon Bones 100% of the time.

X. The Ring of Wealth or Ring of Life would be your best ring, though it's preferred you bring the Wealth.

-W1z :aware:

Edited by W1z K1ll1ng

I. Cammy tab. :) But I'll list it as another option.

II. There are two in the picture. :aware:

III. Do you mean that it's members only? I guess I should mention that somewhere...

IV. Ahh, that is true. I'll add that in.

V. Thank you. :)

VI. I'll be adding that part in later.

VII. I will.

VIII. Fun fact! :)

IX. Answers my question.

X. I'll add it in.

~Dr Skull

I. It'll be better than the Strength Ammy, maybe mention it in the list of suitable ammies. Also, Glories have better Bonuses.
II. Just make sure people know it's a must if they don't bring thier Anti-Fire Shield.
VIII. You could mention that at the top?

I. It also drops Coins. (3000).
II. It drops Left Half (Dragon Square).
III. It drops Uncut Sapphire.
IV. It drops Uncut Emerald.
V. It drops Uncut Ruby.
VI. You can't set up your cannon there.
VII. Isn't it Aggresive, since it'll attack you as soon as it sees you?

Actually d-hide should be used at the kbd period. The higher the d-hide, the more protected you are againts it's magical attacks. Or at least add to wear d-hide there for protection from revs.

Also - Add that it is suicide to go when you are under 70 combat. Unless you are going with 100 other people, you are commiting suicide.

Edited by Veni vidi vici

I. It'll be better than the Strength Ammy, maybe mention it in the list of suitable ammies. Also, Glories have better Bonuses.

II. Just make sure people know it's a must if they don't bring thier Anti-Fire Shield.

I. I'll make glory the first one in the list. :)

II. I would think an Anti-fire shield is more important.

VIII. First paragraph it goes! :)

VI. Physically, or it's not nice to?

VII. I believe so, but I need someone to confirm this.

Actually d-hide should be used at the kbd period. The higher the d-hide, the more protected you are againts it's magical attacks. Or at least add to wear d-hide there for protection from revs.

But if you're meleeing, won't the KBD be more likely to use it's melee attack and it's fire breath attack? :aware:

~Dr Skull

I. I'll make glory the first one in the list. :)

II. I would think an Anti-fire shield is more important.

VIII. First paragraph it goes! :)

VI. Physically, or it's not nice to?

VII. I believe so, but I need someone to confirm this.

But if you're meleeing, won't the KBD be more likely to use it's melee attack and it's fire breath attack? :aware:

~Dr Skull

Honestly, it uses it's magic attack just as much as it's melee attack. D-hide stills offers pretty good protection. Also, Prayer is VERY helpful. You will be able to stay longer. If you keep protect from magic on the whole time, then there is no need for d-hide (duh).

II. Just incase :)
VI. Physically, well..When you set it up it blows up.
VIII. It must be because you can't go in there by yourself and not get attacked.

I. You can teleport close to the Lair with all of the Ancient Majicks Spell, but Ghorrock (spelling?) is the closet. It's the Ice Plateu Teleport.
II. You can teleport with the one Teleport Lever in Ardy.
III. Even though it's pretty much a known fact. You might wanna write 'The Ring of Wealth' increases rare drops. :P

IV. antifireshieldle0.gif

V. The pic of the meele outfit shouldn't wear a God Cape :aware:, but maybe an ObsidianFire/Legends.
VI. Preferred Cape: Obsidian Cape, Fire Cape, Legends Cape, Skill Cape -U-, Skill Cape -T- (Includes a Prayer Bonus).
VI. Preferred Gloves: RFD Gloves, Vambraces, Metal Gloves.

Honestly, it uses it's magic attack just as much as it's melee attack. D-hide stills offers pretty good protection. Also, Prayer is VERY helpful. You will be able to stay longer. If you keep protect from magic on the whole time, then there is no need for d-hide (duh).

You aren't helping any :)

-W1z :) Edited by W1z K1ll1ng

Aren't metal gloves the same as RFD gloves? :aware:

~Dr Skull

Aren't metal gloves the same as RFD gloves? :aware:

~Dr Skull

They are not.

Actually the FoG Gloves are called Gauntlents *just found that out*

Equipment Stats or Effects: +8 Stab, +8 Slash, +8 Crush, +4 Magic, +8 Range Attack Bonuses.

+8 Stab, +8 Slash, +8 Crush, +4 Magic, +8 Range Defense Bonuses.

+8 Strength Bonus.

runeglovesdb0.png

Drops

Dragon Bones (100% Drop)

Coins (3000)

Dragon Medium Helment

Draconic Visage

King Black Dragon Head

Shield Left Half

Uncut Sapphire

Uncut Emerald

Uncut Ruby

[b]Drops[/b]

[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=69"]Dragon Bones (100% Drop)[/url]
[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=174"]Coins (3000)[/url]
[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=629"]Dragon Medium Helment[/url]
Draconic Visage
King Black Dragon Head
[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=335"]Shield Left Half[/url]
[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=542"]Uncut Sapphire[/url]
[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=469"]Uncut Emerald[/url]
[url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=544"]Uncut Ruby[/url]

Your inventory should look something like this:

kbdguidepictures11ak1wz1.png

You can replace the super set with more food. You need the antipoison pot because there are poison spiders right outside the entrance to the KBD and you can also be poisoned by one of the KBD's attacks. You can also replace the sharks with monkfish, lobsters, or baskets of fruit. It is suggested that you don't take anything that heals lower than lobsters.

Edited:

[b]Your inventory should look something like this:[/b]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG=http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2764/kbdguidepictures11ak1wz1.png][/URL]

You can replace the super set with more food. You need the antipoison pot because, there are poison spiders right outside the entrance to the KBD. You can also be poisoned by one of the KBD's attacks. You can also replace the sharks with monkfish, lobsters, or baskets of fruit. It is suggested that you don't take anything that heals lower than lobsters.

:), I'll be back to add way, way more.

Till then.

-W1z :)

Edited by W1z K1ll1ng

First off, Veni Vidi Vici, the KBD does not have a magical attack. Dragonhide does absolutely nothing to help protect you from Firebreath. The only time you would ever use pray mage is if you don't have an antifire shield, otherwise it does absolutely nothing at all. Best thing to wear when you're soloing with melee (especially if on a Black Dragon task and using black mask/slayer helm) is proselyte, and pray melee. :P

Wow! That's a lot of information. Thanks so much Josh. :) Now for some questions and other stuff. :/

1. For range, if you shouldn't take dragon boots, what should you take?

2. Where exactly does the Lava Titan teleport you? Mark it on a map with a circle or something maybe? :P

3. Godswords don't really work, because then you don't have an anti-dragon shield.

4. Is praying mage (When in group) really necissary?

5. Too bad KBD heads aren't tradeable. :aware:

6. I totally forgot about familiars! :) I'll find a place for them... Somewhere. :P

7. For soloing, if you are praying melee the whole time, does that mean you should bring prayer pots?

8. Are dragon bones and black dragonhide 100% drops? (AKA he always drops them) (Answered in below post)

Also, for some reason my Bounty Hunter image has been resized. Anyone know how to get it back to original size? (I'm using Imageshack to upload it)

Edit: Added some more. :P

~Dr Skull

1. Ranger boots, anything like that, snakeskin are like 5k (I think) so if you don't have/want to risk ranger boots take those. :)

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6FXHFOheLM <-- watch that video, also shows how godswords work.

3. See above, just make sure you have antifire and are praying mage or KBD can do 45+

4. Unless you don't have an antifire/dragonfire sheild, praying mage is stupid, and does absolutely nothing.

5. lern2grammar thats not a question :)

6. See above.

7. I always bring ppots, just cuz I like to piety, but yea, definitely do if soloing.

8. Yea, and about 75% chance of a 4 charm drop (crimsons mostly)

:P

Karil's crossbow is 2 handed in case you didn't know. :)

Hmm... I suppose that could cause a slight problem... :)

~Dr Skull

Realy its 2 handed wow i knew it had a disadvantage. :aware:

great guide!! This is just a suggestion. U can use Rock-shell Armour (cheaper than rune and only like 1 lower in each stats)

Again great guide

Lalas the Assassin :aware:

I added links to most (I think all) of the items you mentioned in your guide, in case the reader dosn't know exactly what you are talking about:

Abyssal whip

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=3]Abyssal whip[/url]

Helm Of Neitiznot

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1320]Helm Of Neitiznot[/url]

Berserker Helm

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=213]Berserker Helm[/url]

Warrior Helm

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=499]Warrior Helm[/url]

Rune boots

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=934]Rune boots[/url]

Dragon boots

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1772]Dragon boots[/url]

Rune gloves

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1170]Rune gloves[/url]

Dragon gloves

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1587]Dragon gloves[/url]

Amulet of Strength

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1018]Amulet of Strength[/url]

Amulet of Glory

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=49]Amulet of Glory[/url]

Amulet of Fury

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=386]Amulet of Fury[/url]

Ring of Life

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=277]Ring of Life[/url]

Ring of Wealth

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=154]Ring of Wealth[/url]

Fire cape

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=925]Fire cape[/url]

Archer helm

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=7]Archer helm[/url]

Void Ranger helm

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1580]Void Ranger helm[/url]

Ava's accumulator

[url=http://runescape.salmoneus.net/itemdb/ViewItem.php?ItemID=1070]Ava's accumulator[/url]

I appreciate all of this linking, but I think it would be easier if I just did it. Thanks for your wanting to help though. :aware:

~Dr Skull

- Lair of Spiders

lairofspidersze2.png

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG=http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4356/lairofspidersze2.png][/URL]

- Obelisk (Lvl 27)

oblesikkbdqq0.png

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG=http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/170/oblesikkbdqq0.png][/URL]

- Obelisk (Lvl 35)

oblesikkbd2eb8.png

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG=http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/948/oblesikkbd2eb8.png][/URL]

- Obelisk (Lvl 44)

oblesikkbd3we6.png

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG=http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5494/oblesikkbd3we6.png][/URL]

- Pit of Lessers

thepitoflesserskbdif1.png

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG=http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/667/thepitoflesserskbdif1.png][/URL]

I don't know how to do maps, so that'd be your job. :)

-W1z :aware:

great guide!! This is just a suggestion. U can use Rock-shell Armour (cheaper than rune and only like 1 lower in each stats)

Again great guide

Rockshell plate/legs and rune plate/legs are exactly the same stats.

Again great guide

Rockshell plate/legs and rune plate/legs are exactly the same stats.

ok thats even better! You can out rock-shell as an option(if you want to)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.