Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
-Caleb-

Physics Help

So since I have no idea what to call this type of physics, it was hard for me to be more specific. I drew up the diagram we're supposed to answer in paint, so it may not be scaled correctly but it should work alright.

24enu5x.jpg

In case that's hard to read, the mass of the top box is 30.00Kg. Bottom box is 100.0 Kg. The 20.00 and 10.00 are the measurements of the angles, but I couldn't be bothered to use a degree symbol. blush.gif The applied force is 850.0N and we're told to assume it's a lightweight/frictionless pulley.

Any and all help would be appreciated greatly.

Whats the angle of the slope?

Not sure what you're asking. The incline has an angle of 20.00 degrees and the Applied Force is being pulled at an angle 10.00 degrees below the horizontal.

Stick a force T on each of the ropes holding the blocks to the pulley. Since the pulley is frictionless, the force pulling each side of the pulley is equal. Put forces for the masses pointing straight down of magnitude mg, so 30g and 100g. Then think of reactions to the blocks - the top block feels a reaction from the bottom block, and the bottom block feels a reaction from the top block and the slope. Then put frictional forces on and remember f=mu*R where R is the appropriate reaction force. I hope you can see that the top block will be sliding down the slope, and the bottom block upwards, but whichever way you choose to resolve, it will work - just with negative answers. Resolve for each block parallel and perpendicular to the slope. Note that perpendicularly, forces are equal since there is no acceleration (the blocks are staying in contact with the slope in other words). And remember F=ma for parallel force components. Good luck. ^_^

If you need more help, put all those forces on a diagram for us to check; I for one can't be bothered making one. :wub:

Edited by Thomas154321