Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cold Karnage

Windows Xp Home Edition

Alright, this is kind of a long story. A few years ago, my computer got some viruses that made it almost impossible to use the computer. My friend offered to reformat my computer for free (his dad works with computers). Unfortunately, I didn't have the Windows XP Home Edition disc (I guess I lost it), so his dad just installed a normal Windows XP on to my computer. It was fine for a few months, but then my computer kept prompting me with "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting, ask for Genuine Microsoft Software." Well, for the past couple of years, I managed to keep it from bugging me by deleting a few files (by going into safe mode), but now my computer keeps getting constant updates every single time I do that.

I want to reformat my computer so I don't have to worry about it, but I still don't have a Windows XP Home Edition disc. I do have the code for it on a sticker on the back of my computer. Is there any way to get another disc, or should I bring it into Best Buy (since they probably have a few discs laying around) and have them reformat my computer for me? The only files that matter on my computer is my music, but I can easily download it again if I need to. Thanks for the help.

You can probably buy a disk from your local computer store (bestbuy I guess), or if they don't have any there (sold out or they may only have vista, which I doubt) you can buy online from newegg.com.

Formatting is easy. All you do is insert the disk and follow the directions on the screens (I haven't personally done it, but I think it asks you if you want to delete a partition, you'd select yes).

But what you should be able to do is go to the microsoft website and get a key code from there.

And lol, the same thing happened to me. >.<

If you have a key code, then I believe just finding an ISO of windows home and installing it would be legal. Call microsoft and see what you can do

Some local stores like Bestbuy or Futureshop don't sell Xp anymore.

Your best bet is newegg.com

I would suggest going on the Microsoft website and sniffing around.

Or you could get Vista.

~Darth >.<