Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Pepper

The After-life

Well I was watching a show on TV that talked about this one man's theory about the afterlife. He was saying that Christians are wrong when they believe that when you die, your soul will go straight to Heaven so you can join with the others who have died and sing praises to God. He claims that when we die, God will take us to Heaven as a temporary living place while he restores the Earth to what it was like before Adam and Eve sinned. I'd like to agree with this theory, although why would God make the Heavens if he weren't going to keep us there for the rest of eternity? It is known as "his paradise", and I really don't think you would make that a temporary spot. Discuss.

*This topic's probably not good for atheists/other religions besides Christians. If you're going to flame us, don't post.

Does any religious theory make any sense?

But the afterlife is where you go where you die, isn't it? Why would you leave and come back to life?

I think if there is an afterlife, it's just like this universe in that it is both good and bad. But then again, there might not.

But you just want to discuss two possibilities. So oh well...

Read the end of his post:

*This topic's probably not good for atheists/other religions besides Christians. If you're going to flame us, don't post.

I personally believe when we die we either respawn at Lumbridge or Falador depending on what quests we have done in our life span! We lose our items and start again but possessions can still be left if they are not carried with you.

Moving on...

I believe that paradise is for eternity. I don't understand why it would be temporary. I suppose I would of had to watch the program to understand.

religion and theory are two things that may never co-exist.

oops im sry

Does any religious fact make sense?

oops im sry

Agreed, it doesn't. It is all made up in my mind =/ i think you won't go to either it just doesn't exist.

You can't say the afterlife does or doesn't exist for certain. Nobody can. The only way to find out is to die... and you're not coming back either way.

I'll just live, then find out the day I die.

I agree with the notion of why you would return if the after-life is the after-life. Why would you return to your old plain of existance if you just moved to the life after death?

Also, I would read the last bit of the owner's post. Atheistic posts don't really belong on this thread, and actually, posting "the after-life doesn't exist" is kind of defeating the point of discussion. It is like discussing the exact price of a whip(before G.E.)and someone saying, "it doesn't matter it's still not worth it".

Read the end of his post:

I personally believe when we die we either respawn at Lumbridge or Falador depending on what quests we have done in our life span! We lose our items and start again but possessions can still be left if they are not carried with you.

Moving on...

I actualy lol'd at that good >.<

Moving on...

I actualy lol'd at that good :cool:

Me too. >.<

Anyway, read the book of Revelation. There is a lot of symbols there that can't be taken literally, but you can get quite a bit of information about what the new heaven and earth will be like. Personally, I've never understood which place we will live in. Or maybe it will be heaven on earth. I should study Revelation sometime, and see if I can find out. What I do know, is that I'm saved, and although I don't look forward to death, I look forward to what will happen afterward.

Personally, I've never understood which place we will live in.

Is "live" even the right term? It's the afterlife after all. Doesn't being there pretty much make you dead by definition?

I suppose we'll all find out what it is after we die, if anything.

Edited by Superkid711

i think when you die you live in heaven until the end of the earth, then the sinners go to hell. but what if when you die nothing happens. what if you never live again in any afterlife or heaven or hell. what if you just stop existing, or if you turn into a newborn baby and cant remember anything from your old life. when i was younger my mum tells me i said i used to be a woman called rose. and my brother saw a man working on a road and he said thats what he used to do, maybe thats from our past lives? there really is only one way to find out, by dieing. if however you just stop existing or turn into a newborn baby you will never know, because you wont remember being you in your past life for very long so you wont remember dieing and wont know what happens after death. no living person will ever know

Epic fail. Read the first post and stop trying to act cool.

But the afterlife is where you go where you die, isn't it? Why would you leave and come back to life?

I think if there is an afterlife, it's just like this universe in that it is both good and bad. But then again, there might not.

But you just want to discuss two possibilities. So oh well...

So you're saying that when you go to Heaven you're dead? No. In the Bible it says your soul keeps living.

i think when you die you live in heaven until the end of the earth, then the sinners go to hell. but what if when you die nothing happens. what if you never live again in any afterlife or heaven or hell. what if you just stop existing, or if you turn into a newborn baby and cant remember anything from your old life. when i was younger my mum tells me i said i used to be a woman called rose. and my brother saw a man working on a road and he said thats what he used to do, maybe thats from our past lives? there really is only one way to find out, by dieing. if however you just stop existing or turn into a newborn baby you will never know, because you wont remember being you in your past life for very long so you wont remember dieing and wont know what happens after death. no living person will ever know

We sin everyday. God forgives our sins. Now, those who sin like murder and whatnot I do believe will go to Hell.

oops im sry

do you know what the difference between a fact and a theory is?

You know, you say the same thing in every thread mentioning the R word and it's starting to get a tad irksome.

This reminds me of the Millennium, where God reigns over the Earth for 1,000 years before the judgment (I think.) I can see how he may have gotten this interpretation from that. It also reminds me of Prison and Paradise in Mormon doctrine. They're temporary dwellings for our spirits before the resurrection.

So you're saying that when you go to Heaven you're dead? No. In the Bible it says your soul keeps living.

The way I understand souls is that they are indestructible ectoplasmic structures that are the sources of our minds and personalities. That being the case, I define one whose body is dead and soul is passed on to the other side as "dead". That doesn't mean the afterlife doesn't resemble life, but technical, genuine life would require you to have a living body that can die.

I may be incorrect, but that's how I look at it and that's why I said what I said.

And you happened to slam atheism in another topic so you kind of had K's reply coming.

Edited by Superkid711

There's no such thing as an afterlife. L

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's no way to say that for certain. When you make a claim burden of proof falls on you. Just saying our minds rely on our brains isn't enough, as long as there are ways around that (and there are, such as the soul needing the brain to be in this life but not the next, or the mind shedding the brain at death) there can be no way to say with certainty that there is no afterlife.

I totally get it if you have no reason to believe in one, just saying.

Of course, there is no way to say for certain that there is one either. And going by scientific understanding alone, afterlife's chances aren't all that good. But it's very likely there are many things we don't understand yet.

We'll each find out when we die. And hey, if there isn't one, at least we'll be too dead to be sad or disappointed. Just peaceful non-existence.

Edited by Superkid711

k ill let you know right now im a Christian, so you can read my post XD

i and as i christian i can tell you, from the bible, you DONT go to heaven RIGHT when you die, you do to "paradise" (if youre a Christian) and non-believers go to Hell. afteer the rapture, and the 7 year tribulaton God will restore the earth, and all the Christians will live there. without going into much detail, there are gonna be some people that dont believe in God (children of the Christians) and theres gonna be a final battle between them and God's people. after that, theres the Great White Throne judgement, and THEN we all go to heaven (or the non-believers, into the lake of fire) for ETERNITY :cool:

thats what i believe because the Bible says so >.<

i and as i christian i can tell you, from the bible, you DONT go to heaven RIGHT when you die, you do to "paradise" (if youre a Christian) and non-believers go to Hell. afteer the rapture, and the 7 year tribulaton God will restore the earth, and all the Christians will live there. without going into much detail, there are gonna be some people that dont believe in God (children of the Christians) and theres gonna be a final battle between them and God's people. after that, theres the Great White Throne judgement, and THEN we all go to heaven (or the non-believers, into the lake of fire) for ETERNITY :cool:

You are a shame to your faith. The Bible's full of crap then. There are plenty of non-believers who are perfectly nice people. Why should they have to go to hell for all eternety? Why would you wish that on them?!

Maybe it's you who's going to hell if you keep that attitude up. Don't say I'm flaming. How is telling non-believers they're going to the lake of fire for all eternity not a flame?!

Edited by Superkid711

Yes, and the bible was written by men, not God.

thats what i believe because the Bible says so

...because being able to think for yourself and conclude with your own summary rather than taking each interpretation literally and not challenging the content is completely out of the question... >.<

Edited by Pixel Bunnie

Firstly, I'd like to make a few corrections about what may happen at the end times:

First the Rapture, then the 7 year Tribulation as the Antichrist rules in Satan's name, then the Battle of Armegeddon, after which Satan's forces are defeated; then God will rule for 1000 years and then destroy the Earth and re-create it free from sin.

Another thing is that God forgives all but one sin, which is the act of rejecting Jesus Christ as your Savior up to your death. Pretty much all of the other sins are forgiven if you sincerely repent.

Btw I am an avid Christian to whom it may concern, and I'm not ashamed or secretive about my beliefs.

Edited by Unreal Flux

oops im sry

do you know what the difference between a fact and a theory is?

<I> do.

Edited by K