Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thebombman6

Illegal Songs...

I can't reply to any one person here.

1. It's wrong. Period. The fact that it is against the law makes it wrong. If you don't like the law, fight to change it, but the moment you break the law you make your complaints about it invalid. The action itself may not be inherently immoral, but as a citizen of a nation you are bound to its laws.

2. It harms more people than you think. How many more artists could get a chance at a contract if the company had an extra million a year? How many jobs could be created by throwing another million a year into the economy? How many stores would be able to keep their doors open if people were purchasing, especially small specialty music stores?

3. It's quite possible to steal something intangible. It's called intellectual property rights, and applies to things like patents on inventions, music and literature, and sometimes even vague ideas. I can't photocopy a John Grisham book and say I wrote it. I can't dvr a McDonalds commercial, edit in my restaurant, and put it on tv. I can't download songs I haven't paid for.

look,there are more important arguments in the world,like our government,or the violence on the streets,or the many people out there fighting for just a small bite of food.i mean come on illegal downloading songs?not really a big deal,i speak 4 myself when i say this:if u want to listen to a single track,does that mean i'm going to spend 13-20$ on a cd that im only going to listen to one song?

Heard of this thing called iTunes?

~Magical

yes i have,and im tired of your stupid cabbage comments

~Magical

Have you ever heard that almost all of their stuff is protected so you can only use it on an iPod. Some people don't have iPods, some people can't afford one, or maybe some people got brand new mp3 players and can't get an iPod. >.< Also, you have to have a credit card for iTunes. Thats not just for downloading songs, that's for registering too. So you can't just go and buy an iTunes card and get some songs. You have to sign up with a credit card and then use your gift card.

Edited by Biscuit

~Magical

Have you ever heard that almost all of their stuff is protected so you can only use it on an iPod. Some people don't have iPods, some people can't afford one, or maybe some people got brand new mp3 players and can't get an iPod. >.< Also, you have to have a credit card for iTunes. Thats not just for downloading songs, that's for registering too. So you can't just go and buy an iTunes card and get some songs. You have to sign up with a credit card and then use your gift card.

There are plenty of other websites for legally paying and downloading songs. In fact - pretty much all major singles can be bought individually in stores... And I don't think you need a credit card to use a gift card either...

~Magical

Edited by Magical

~Magical

There are plenty of other websites for legally paying and downloading songs. In fact - pretty much all major singles can be bought individually in stores... And I don't think you need a credit card to use a gift card either...

~Magical

You need a credit card to register an account to use a gift card :cool: Trust me, it happened to me. And tell me of such websites where you can pay and download songs, without credit cards?

~Magical

~Magical

You need a credit card to register an account to use a gift card :cool: Trust me, it happened to me. And tell me of such websites where you can pay and download songs, without credit cards?

I didn't say that they didn't need a credit card - and I just had a go with an old iTunes card (so it wasn't working) and it told me i should enter my billing info OR enter a voucher. Even if you don't own a credit card - don't most people's parents have them?

Anyway - we're not debating iTunes - I was making the point that candy said if you didn't want to buy an entire album - then it's okay to illegally download it - and I responded saying there are plenty of sites, such as iTunes in which you can download single tracks.

~Magical

~Magical

~Magical

You don't need a credit card to register. I didn't put one in... You only need a gift card and a billing address.

I'm going to just throw this in. How much do we make a year? Regular people? 100k a year at most probably. Now, how much do they make? 100 million maybe? Even if we take away 90% of everything they make through pirating, which we do not, they still are sitting pretty atop of 10,000,000 a year.

So, does it matter if we pirate or not? That's not up to me to decide.

I'm going to just throw this in. How much do we make a year? Regular people? 100k a year at most probably. Now, how much do they make? 100 million maybe? Even if we take away 90% of everything they make through pirating, which we do not, they still are sitting pretty atop of 10,000,000 a year.

It's up to them where their money goes - not us. If they wish to keep it all for themselves - then the public can think they're evil, stuck-up whatnots, but it's their right to get money in exchange for that. You can't argue someone is rich so they can have stuff taken off them - that's going into Communism, and we know that doesn't work.

~Magical

I didn't say that they didn't need a credit card - and I just had a go with an old iTunes card (so it wasn't working) and it told me i should enter my billing info OR enter a voucher. Even if you don't own a credit card - don't most people's parents have them?

Anyway - we're not debating iTunes - I was making the point that candy said if you didn't want to buy an entire album - then it's okay to illegally download it - and I responded saying there are plenty of sites, such as iTunes in which you can download single tracks.

~Magical

I know you didn't say you need a credit card. But how else are people going to pay? Send in cash? And when I registered, I had no option but to put in a credit card number (which I conviently used a Visa gift card for). Some parents don't want their credit cards for Apple. Their child could forget they spent their gift card and then they start racking up the bill. However, I think it would be cool if somehow, instead of downloading individual songs, you can build an album of songs you like.

That's not fair. They earned the money.

Why not take 90% of everyone's money? I guess it would be fair then.

Edit: And itunes sells DRM free songs. >.<

Edited by redmonke255

Edit: And itunes sells DRM free songs. >.<
That's why I said almost.

If I enjoy one song, I'll download it instead of buying the entire album. If I want an entire album, I'll most likely go buy it.

It's still theft, just because the artists make enough money. It's not as if they didn't make an effort in composing/interpreting the song you liked and downloaded illegaly...

I don't really approve of it.

They make the artists lose millions of dollars, and its illegal. If I want a song, I'll use iTunes >.<

~Darth :cool:

I can't reply to any one person here.

1. It's wrong. Period. The fact that it is against the law makes it wrong.

Well in my state it's against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk. But when I was younger, it was to dangerous for me to be riding on the street. Does this mean kids who ride on sidewalks for their own safety are wrong?

~Magical

You can easily use iTunes songs on almost any mp3 player. And you can register with a giftcard.

Edited by Fencefry

Besides, customers have the right to know what they're buying, before they buy it.

lets see... download a cd for free.... or pay 30€ for a cd in a shop... i wonder what i would chose........

It's illegal, so I don't do it. Not exactly rocket science.

Also:

1) I couldn't even listen to it, on this computer.

2) It's not just artists that are losing money, its stores (and with that; employees), and not just the big stores either...

3) If I ever want to listen to a song, I buy the album the song is in. The album usually has a hand full of songs that I like.

It's illegal, so I don't do it. Not exactly rocket science.

Also:

1) I couldn't even listen to it, on this computer.

2) It's not just artists that are losing money, its stores (and with that; employees), and not just the big stores either...

3) If I ever want to listen to a song, I buy the album the song is in. The album usually has a hand full of songs that I like.

I don't know a single computer that can't play music.

I hear a lot of people saying things like, "These people make a lot of money, it's not like their going to miss the money I'm duping them out of..." However, that can be seen as a relative situation. If there was an impoverished immigrant from Sudan with no money to their name stealing your money, belongings, etc., you would do something about it. Stealing songs just shows a lack of constraint in my opinion - why don't you just wait and buy the song when you actually have the money to do so? Doing something just because you want it is the equivalent of a small two year old throwing a tantrum because his mum wont get him that new toy.

lets see... download a cd for free.... or pay 30€ for a cd in a shop... i wonder what i would chose........

lets see... steal a car for free.... or pay £10000 in a shop... i wonder what i would chose........

See how stupid that sounds?

~Magical

lets see... steal a car for free.... or pay £10000 in a shop... i wonder what i would chose........

~Magical

>.< You hit the nail on the head... Funny how stupid things look if you put them in relative terms, eh?

~Magical

In theory, yes, that statement is relevant. However, in practice, it's not the case. Millions of individuals download everday, however, the ratio of people who steal cars is significantly smaller, by a long shot. It's as simple as, "People do it because they can". If they stole a car, the chances are that they will be caught and heavily punished. The chance of getting caught and charged with downloading music is minute. It doesn't make it right, but it just is.

~Magical

In theory, yes, that statement is relevant. However, in practice, it's not the case. Millions of individuals download everday, however, the ratio of people who steal cars is significantly smaller, by a long shot. It's as simple as, "People do it because they can". If they stole a car, the chances are that they will be caught and heavily punished. The chance of getting caught and charged with downloading music is minute. It doesn't make it right, but it just is.

Exactly, it's that attitude towards what they're doing - stealing is fine if you're not stealing much...

~Magical

~Magical

Exactly, it's that attitude towards what they're doing - stealing is fine if you're not stealing much...

~Magical

There's nothing more to say, if people can get away with doing something, they'll do it, that's the attitude. It's not a matter of, "It's fine if you're not stealing much" it's more-so a matter of, "I can get away with stealing this, so I will." Unless the government cracks down on people who illegally download, it's not going to change. If people could get away with stealing cars in the same respect they could with music, they'd be a lot more car theft too.