Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
morzanz

F2p Range/mage Viable?

Hello guys, I've been thinking about making a new pure and really wanted to do a mage pure, but mage in f2p isn't that good, unless your a really low level, so I have been thinking about trying out a range/mage hybrid. While I'm really liking the idea, I'm not sure how viable/effective this hybrid would be, so I would be very happy if someone here with a better understanding of this hybrid, could share some of there thoughts or ideas about it. So here is the stats that I would get for this character and also the general idea of how I would pvp with him.

Range- 65+

Mage- 59

Everything else- 1

The main selling point of this build is obviously the versatility that it has, in being able to adapt to whatever build you happen to be going against. In a fight versus a mage, you can pull out your bow and range him down, against a tank you can use magic to kill him, and against a range pure you can pull out your bow again and range him down.

According to a combat calculator that also has what your hp level would be, with the stats I've posted above, I would be sitting at 58 hp, at combat lv 46. This, I believe, also factors in the hp experience you would get from using magic that raises your hp, which makes me wonder which would be better- leveling up magic that raises your hp and thus raising your combat level, or leveling up magic that doesn't give hp experience-lowering your combat level, but at the cost of having lower hp? At any rate, I'd be in the mid to high lv 40's and hitting for 16 damage with Fire Blast and 11 damage with range, which seems pretty decent. Something I have also considered that might be useful is bind, which snares them so they cannot move for 5 seconds. Long ago I was trying out a mage pure and I remember using bind, but that overall it wasn't very useful because it didn't last that long and the runes took up valuable space that could be used for lobbies. That was a long time ago though and I really can't remember it to well, so I'd like to hear what you guys might have to say about it and whether or not it's worth having the extra runes in your inventory taking up space, or if lobbies is just overall the better choice. Since I haven't actually tested this build out in game, I don't really know how affective it would be, so this is just all theory craft to me, but I would really like to hear what some of you guys who have more experience with this type of pking think about it and if it's worth doing or not.

NOTE: Please don't reply with "just make a range/2her cuz dey ownz lulz". I know they own, especially in f2p, but that's not what I'm interested in making. >.<

Edited by morzanz

just make a range/2her cuz dey ownz lulz cuz u mite aswell get maxed melee 4 ur cmb if u wnt vesatility.

>.<

Edited by Ice

Its 50/50, raising you combat level is bad for obviosu reasons, but if i wear you I'd aim for the nice tin can men, blast them to remove there armour then fire a few arrows against there soft flesh, they have a lower attack+strength because of defence so in theory you should win.

I started my account as a range/mage pure. They are terrible and you probably wont get a kill unless you get lucky or something. Juts go with the strength pure, simple: easy to train: and very effective. Or if you want to be fancy you can make a range 2h pure which has a slight speed advantage over strength pures, but is nothing special. They are pretty good in noob pure teams as magic is pretty good at the noob levels.

The main selling point of this build is obviously the versatility that it has, in being able to adapt to whatever build you happen to be going against. In a fight versus a mage, you can pull out your bow and range him down, against a tank you can use magic to kill him, and against a range pure you can pull out your bow again and range him down.

Against a range tanker, magic and range would both be ineffective, especially magic...

I've made a Range/Mage pure before...and went to around 55 range 50+ mage

until finally I realized as higher levels go, Range/mage pures are a dead end

unless you move to P2P and go for Ancient Magicks...16s as a K0 technique or

even as an offensive method is just not good enough compared to 20+ hits by

melee pures or range/2h pures...even simply range pures will hit high constantly

while most of the time, the people you will fight in PvP or even in BH, will all

either 1 item (no armour-no negative magic defense bonus) or range (usually

range oriented pures rule the bounty hunter...as with strength pures who wear

nothing but monk robes or sometimes d'hide if they've gotten 40 range as well) either

way, magic simply wont hold by itself or with a combination of awesome range :D

F2P range/mage...im sorry to say, wont work. It will be fun when you are

low level where your range hits lower than your max hit with magic...but

when you start seeing 15s by meleers, thats when you have to either

1) start another pure >.<

2) change your pure into something else (a range pure even seeing magic levels are essential)

3) move to P2P

Anyways, train until whatever level your heart desires and

try it out yourself...for me, not being able to do quick k0s or even

using it as a main method (low defense-rangers/meleers pwn you) weren't very

sufficient to call it "pking." It was more like, "oh let's waste runes and food

and waste other people's food and time as well! yayy"

Occasionally, you get some kills, of course, but you wont be getting

consistent kills when you get to higher levels where everybody has

high enough lvl to suffice as good enough magic defense...you will

most likely end up ranging your opponent to death rather than mage

them all the way or even mage them to k0 when you are 40+ cb

Oh, and another issue with this kind of pure is that, unless you have

alot of money, getting the high levels will be difficult. Also, pking can

get be a drain because most people seem to run to bank in pvp and

never stay after they do their four specs worth of dds or in f2p, after

they figure they can't kill you or they see you maging... :cool:

Then, after you have wasted runes, you have to go buy some more :P

But, its your choice...

Lost 3nvy

You can start as a range mage pure, and then at higher combat, just train your attack to 40 and strength to whatever and range 2h.

Guest Underdogpker

I have a range mage pure, just got range to 40 then splashed mage to 35 and started pking. This combo is not as common these days so people underestimate it incredibly which is their downfall.

With range you're only hitting 8s but finishing with a 12 can catch them out. I try not to mage too much though, only for finishes if possible. 

I tried with binding but only great if you're deep. If you're shallow use the space for swordies for sure. 

I get a heap of kills everyday but yes the higher my cb gets the more difficult it is. 

The negative danger is that when you're going down to low hp and you're in your magic page ready to cast for a finish there is a good possibility to get caught out and not have time to eat if they hit a couple decent strikes. So beware of this. 

Otherwise i love the combo, i just wanted to try something a bit more against the grain as everyone is going range 2h or str pures these days.

Plenty of loot to be had from these proud noobs. 

I have a range mage pure, just got range to 40 then splashed mage to 35 and started pking. This combo is not as common these days so people underestimate it incredibly which is their downfall.

With range you're only hitting 8s but finishing with a 12 can catch them out. I try not to mage too much though, only for finishes if possible. 

I tried with binding but only great if you're deep. If you're shallow use the space for swordies for sure. 

I get a heap of kills everyday but yes the higher my cb gets the more difficult it is. 

The negative danger is that when you're going down to low hp and you're in your magic page ready to cast for a finish there is a good possibility to get caught out and not have time to eat if they hit a couple decent strikes. So beware of this. 

Otherwise i love the combo, i just wanted to try something a bit more against the grain as everyone is going range 2h or str pures these days.

Plenty of loot to be had from these proud noobs. 

Range/mage can be fun to mess around with, but range+2h is more effective eventually. 

Relative to your cb, range/mages is strongest at 35 / 35, and then decent up to 59/59. The problem with magic is that you can't get good loot at low levels, and it doesn't hit high enough at high levels. Every magic level beyond 59 does basically nothing. If you go for 59/59 I'd recommend targeting people in full rune. Best to bring some binds, because they will try to run.