Frequently Asked Questions

Contents
1. Profile Changes
2. Member Group Questions
3. Warn Questions
4. Forum Layout and View
5. Other
1. Profile Changes
How do I change the text under my avatar?
You can only change your member title if you are an Admin, Moderator, Retired/Inactive Moderator or a Distinguished Member. If you are not in any of those groups, then you can not manually change your member title. However, your member title will change at certain post counts. You can click on your pip to see when your member title changes.
Occasionally, a temporary member title change will be given to certain forum members that win such a reward during various competitions or projects hosted by the Staff. These are however rare occurances and will be removed after a set amount of time.

How do I change my avatar and signature?
Go to the top of the page and on the right side you will see your username next to a "Sign Out" button. Click on your forum name and choose "My settings".

To edit your avatar, simply choose "Change my photo" under Photo, found first in the "General account settings" tab which you enter if you clicked on "My settings". Choose whether or not to use a picture from a webpage URL or a file found on your computer and when you have chosen your new avatar, please press "Done". If it still looks like your old avatar, press F5 to refresh the page.

To edit your signature, please choose "Signature" on the left side of the screen that you come to after clicking "My settings" to be able to edit your signature freely.

How do I upload an image to my signature?
You need to upload it to one of the following image up-loaders:

Why isn't my avatar changing?
If you previously had an avatar and then tried changing it by uploading a new image, this is most likely because the image is stuck in your browser's cache, which means that even though the new image has been uploaded, your browser still shows the old one. Simply press Ctrl + F5 after uploading your image (while still on the avatar page) to request the server for the newest copy. This should show the new image.
If this fails, clearing your cache (part of your private data), should also work.

When I click on "Change Personal Photo" to try and add a photo, why won't it work?
To have a personal photo, you must be promoted to the rank of Distinguished Member (DM) or higher. Sorry, but unless you are promoted, you will not be able to add your own personal photo to your profile.

2. Member Group Questions
What's a DM?
A DM, or Distinguished Member is a respected member of the forum. They are responsible for moderating the Everything RuneScape forum and have several privileges, such as access to a hidden board, the ability to change their member titles and they have access to some basic moderating tools, such as closing and moving topics.
You should never ask to be a DM; that will only hurt your chances.

What does a moderator do?
Moderators are responsible for making things run smoothly in the forum. They take care of reports, warn members, occasionally ban members, close topics and answer questions whenever they can. Click [here] to see the list of active moderators.

I want to be a mod! How do I become one?
Moderators are hand selected by Sals Realm of Runescape Staff and it is a selective process to only choose the most dependable, trustworthy and capable individuals on this Forum. You should never, ever, ask to become one. It lowers your chances and it's rather annoying.

What are all the member groups?
Here is a screenshot of all the member groups:
ForumFAQ-membergroups_zpsb3358087.png

I'm a new member and my post which includes a link/email/image is not showing up. Why?
All members with less than 15 posts who make a post with one of those things in it will have their post hidden until a moderator reviews it. The reason we have this is for your safety, so no new members can come and post unsafe links or inappropriate images. It may take a couple hours for your post to be approved. If it takes longer, you may contact a member of the staff and politely request them to review your topic or post.

What's a Validating Member?
Validating means that the member just signed up and has to receive the validating email to become a member. Also, when a member changes their email, they are put back into the Validating Member group until they can click on the link in the email to get validated.

What's a New Member?
New Member means that they have less than 30 posts.

What's a Retired/Inactive Mod?
To explain Retired/Inactive Mod, here's a quote:
Retired moderators have no privilege or power on this forum. They do not have the privileges that the Distinguished members have, nor do they have moderating powers. Their title is mainly an honorary title to thank them for all the hard work they did to help this forum be a better place for everyone to hang-out.

The only thing special about Retired/Inactive Mods is that they still have access to the secret boards and thus function as advisors to give advice and share their knowledge and experience to the active Staff.

What's a Forum Admin?
A Forum Administrator is similar to a moderator except a forum administrator has more powers, for example, they can create subforums, while moderators cannot. They can also do other tasks, such as fix errors with permission masks if a member suddenly find himself or herself unable to view the forums.

What's a Site Admin?
The Site Administrator is a group for just one person, Salmoneus. tongue.png He is the forum's root admin and the only person who can edit the site.
3. Warn Questions
How do I check my warn log?
When you make a post, look to the left to see your profile information. At the very bottom of that you'll see something like "Rating: < -8 ( 0 ) 8 >". Just click on the number in between the parentheses to view your warn log. You can only see yours and when you try to view someone elses it just shows an error. It's a pop up so your browser might block it. It will look something like this:

ForumFAQ-Howwarningsshowupinposts_zps16794344.png

Why is my warn level 1 (or -1)?
A positive warn level, like 1, 2, 3, etc, is bad. It means you have done something you shouldn't have done. A negative warn level, like -1 or -2, means you've done something exceptionally good/helpful. If you have a question about one of your warns, send a PM to the moderator who gave it to you. Check the rules for more details on the warn system.

I got warned for an unfair reason, what should I do?
PM the Moderator that warned you, (s)he may have a different view on the situation. You should never start a topic where you bring this up because it is considered spam, the thread will be locked, and you can possibly get a warn. Make sure to check the rules too because they'll probably help clear things up for you.

How do I get my warn level reduced?
Post good posts, contribute to the site, and help others. If it's been one month since your more recent warn, you may PM a moderator and request a warn review. The rules explain more about that here.
4. Forum Layout and View
How do I change the forum's look?
In the bottom left corner of the forum there is a link named "Change Theme". Click it and select the skin you wish to change to on the list that pops up.

Thread layouts have changed for me. It shows the first post normally, but all the others are in a list, and I have to click on them in order to view them. How do I fix this?
Click here or go to Options > Switch to: Standard to fix it.

If I don't want to view all of the forums on Sal's, how do I make it so some of them disappear?
Lets say you only want to view a few forums such as Forum and Site Talk and Everything Runescape. To do this, you simply look at the right side of the forum heading, and click on the small minus (–) icon to hide the desired Forum(s):
ForumFAQ-hideboard_zps9fe8454a.png
After clicking on the minus icon, it will be replaced with a plus icon (+) that, when clicked, will open the Forum for viewing again.
5. Other
What are the official forum worlds?
The official freeplay world is 61, and the members world is 71.

How do I stop someone from sending me Personal Messages?
To stop someone from sending you PMs, go here. and you will see an option at the bottom of the page to "Add a new user to my list". Type in the name of the user you want to block and check the "messages" box. You can also block their posts and their signature by unchecking the other two boxes.

Where did my topics go?
It may have been moved by a Moderator or an Administrator to an appropriate forum. Go to the top of the page and on the right side you will see your username next to a "Sign Out" button. Click on your forum name and go to "My content" in the menu that appears and select the appropriate option in the left side where content is either sorted by content type or by content made by the member. There will be a list of all the threads you made as well as all the posts that you have made. If one you are looking for has disappeared, then it is likely it was canned due to a violation of rules in the thread.
Send a PM to a Moderator or an Administrator if your post or topic was deleted and you don't understand why.
In addition, if you have less than 15 posts and your topic contains links or images, it is automatically sent to the moderation queue and a member of the Forum Staff must manually approve the topic before it becomes visible. So fear not, your topic has not disappeared completely, it just needs to be checked for harmful material.
Edited by Yuanrang

There has been loads of topics like those I believe :xd:.

Anyway, you might want to correct some typing mistakes like:

A: Please refer to this tread written by Mal, Pretty Obvious andm Purchased.

Also, I believe some people from this forum made some of those underbanners as well, so not only RuneHQ is doing them I believe.

You could add:

Q: I got warned for an unfair reason, what to do?

A: Pm the mod and explain your position. Do not start a topic about that, it will give no results and the topic will be locked.

Q: How do I reduce my warn level?

A: By being helpful, following the rules and making good comments. Never ask for a warn level reduction. Mods will nto reduce your warn level if you ask for it.

I can't think of more at the moment.

Edited and added.

Edited by James Thomson

Patou, you also had a mishap of spelling you said "Mods will nto" :) . But this topic is a very good idea to the new(er) member of sals :).

Hopefully this will answer all questions to the them( new members of sals) so they don't keep asking soo many questions :P . They will just look into the guide and say "Ohhh so that's how I upload the avyy that I wanted" or "Oh ok so that answers my question about sigs :/" or many other things. Anyways....

I would help support this.. but I can't edit posts :P . Good idea. :xd:

Zombie Kid wrote a (bigger) version of this; it was never added.

I got some anyway:

How do I change the forum's look?

At the bottom right hand corner of any page, there should be a drop down menu with different skins. Experiment and find te one you like.

How do I become a DM?

Be friendly around the forum, be active and sumbit content to the site when you can. Also, report any forum abuse you see and don't be bad yourself!

*Salmoneus thinks this topic should go in Bulliten Board

:o

-

I got warned for an unfair reason, what to do?

A: PM the mod that warned you, he may have a different vision of the situation. And never start a topic, it is considered spam, will be lock, and you can possibly get a warn.

If that mod doesnt agree with you and you still feel strongly you could contact another mod or an admin... A mod said that to me once, I dont remember who. I was arguing that my warn was unfair :)

-

Here is another Q/A to add:

Why is my warn level 1 (or -1)?

A positive warn level, like 1, 2, 3, etc, is bad. It means you have done something you shouldnt have done. A negative warn level, like -1 or -2, means youve done something exceptionally good/helpful

Edited by Steve

This looks really helpful and it looks like it will answer a lot of common questions people have. I'll move this to the questions board and sticky it. :D

This looks really helpful and it looks like it will answer a lot of common questions people have. I'll move this to the questions board and sticky it. :D

Thanks for stickying it. I am going to add some more right now :(

James

A: Post good posts, contribute to the site, and help other. Never PM or start a topic asking for your warn level to be reduced.

A: Post good posts, contribute to the site, and help others. Never PM or start a topic asking for your warn level to be reduced.

You spelled others wrong :D

A: Post good posts, contribute to the site, and help other. Never PM or start a topic asking for your warn level to be reduced.

A: Post good posts, contribute to the site, and help others. Never PM or start a topic asking for your warn level to be reduced.

You spelled others wrong :D

Thanks fixed the spelling mistake :(

Guest Zombie Kid90

Ok this is dumb. It's all about faveritism :\

I wrote a bigger one than JamesT like Meen said and not even Sal check it out?

Yes this forum has come to fav picking. Samster's right if mine was biggger than James no one read it. then who's gonna read this one?

Edited by Zombie Kid90

When you say negative and positive warnings, do you actually mean the rating thing? If so, so that means like, if I have -7, then I am "teh ownage" and if I have 7, I've been naughty?

Jeff ^_^

Okay, thanks. That's kind of wierd, but I'll get used to it. :(

Jeff ^_^

This guide is quite good, especially after what I saw what I thought it was:

fag9ue.png

(The q looks like a g, if you don't get it)

Edited by Zerstören