Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dragonfire455

Did We Invent Math Or Discover It?

Discover, since it's always been around us, it was only a matter of time before humans figured it out.

Discover, since it's always been around us, it was only a matter of time before humans figured it out.

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

You should state your opinion, too...

Personally, I think that math was kind of both discovered and invented. The reason I think this is because there has always been something like "If I have 5 rocks, and then get another 5 rocks, I will have 10 rocks." You could consider that discovering something, or realising what it is and coming up with a name for it, and inventing it. Or would that be considered discovering it? Whatever...

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

Look at my example. If you had one rock, and got another, you would not have three rocks.

Edited by Shizzle

Personally, I think that math was kind of both discovered and invented. The reason I think this is because there has always been something like "If I have 5 rocks, and then get another 5 rocks, I will have 10 rocks." You could consider that discovering something, or realising what it is and coming up with a name for it, and inventing it. Or would that be considered discovering it? Whatever...

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

Look at my example. If you had one rock, and got another, you would not have three rocks.

That is discovering it. I don't think it has always been. I think it was invented.

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

That is discovering it. I don't think it has always been. I think it was invented.

Explain how it was invented? You have yet to back up your opinion.

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

So you're saying back in the good 'ol days, people had special cloning abilities?

1+1 has always equaled 2.

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

Well tell me this:

How is it to say it has always been? How COULD it have always been when we weren't around? I back up my opinion by simply saying this:

We will never know

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

Well tell me this:

How is it to say it has always been? How COULD it have always been when we weren't around? I back up my opinion by simply saying this:

We will never know

That's not backing up your opinion... That's like saying "Madonna is a man because I said so." It makes no sense.

If you really want an example of when we weren't around, then 1 dinosaur + 1 dinosaur = 2 dinosaurs, not 3.

Then explain this:

Why can't 1+1 = 3 ?

Well tell me this:

We will never know

Because physics is physics and it doesn't change?

Not like one day gravity turned itself off when people were gone. :wub:

1 + 1 doesn't equal 3 as we assigned the symbol 1 to me the numerical value of one. If the 3 symbol meant two then 1+ 1 = 3 would be right. That's more languages than maths

We 'discovered' maths. We didn't really discover but patterns lead to observations which lead to maths. We also invented it with things such as Simpson's Rule which is used when estimating the area under a curve. I see that as being invented rather than discovered as he had to forcibly force the maths to the way he wanted it.

Think of maths and numbers as another system of communication like the alphabet. We have invented, or created a set of symbols that represent a quantity of something. Going back to rocks lets say we have two different groups of rocks, with different amounts of rocks in them. We give both groups a symbol to represent them, just like the alphabet represents the words we speak. So its something we invented.

we discovered math, without something to hint us, NUMBERS, we would never know how numbers work or how to use them

for example if we didnt have 50,000 things we wouldnt have invented multiplication, or exponents.

if we didn't need to move objects around efficiently we wouldnt have invented force and work.

the thing is, we just use math to invent other stuff, technologies and other shortcuts.

math is just a smart way of saying finding new ways to be lazy.

you try to find a way that solves the problem faster

why? because you're lazy

and in turn you invent math, formulas, and make people smarter, and you find shorter shortcuts.

Edited by storm2007

Math is a means of communication used to explain distance, time and size. Being a means of communication, it was invented.

Geometry is more interesting.

I like the perfect circle debates.

well; the golden ratio kinda proves it was always there and it was around as without noticing it :wub:

Math is a means of communication used to explain distance, time and size. Being a means of communication, it was invented.

thats only like 0.00001% of math

math has always been there; but we gave it names

note: second proof

if you ever go to space (yiep), empty a bottle of water, it will form a perfect bol (and yes, this is the most 'perfect' circle/bol ever

bol -> geometry -> maths

Edited by Dreak

Neither. Maths was created, it's simply a form of understanding things and working with data, therefore there's no way it could have been around before it was used, for it exists to be used.

Maths has been there since the beginning of time, though Last Stand is technically wrong with his 1+1=2 thing. We invented what each number is called, so we could just as well say PLOMPLOM+PLOMPLOM=PIFFWIFF as 1+1=2

We didn't invent maths, but we invented the terms, names and everything that wasn't already there xP

Maths was invented. In physical sciences, things are discovered as that's the physical world. Maths is like an abstract way of communicating. You can compare it to a language which is created. You can discover things within maths like interesting numbers and all that but in the end, it's a man-made invention. I don't like talking about things like this about maths though because it really does take the value out of it when you should really just appreciate it for what it is.

All math really is is a system of letters and numbers, the form of math used to calculate things (like 2+2=4) was invented by the Egyptians, and equations (2y+x=z) was invented by the Greeks (or at least I think it was the Greeks) to make problems like (2+2-81+44 divided by 221 = 3) easier to understand and do.

That is a good question but i have to say we discovered when you add 2 numbers, they make another one.

I think a mix of both. For example it was discovered because those people found those formulas but it could have indeed been invented because...well i don't know.

We could always change it. Like instead of two ='ing two, you would have two = three and three = 2... It is just how it is worded, but we discovered it, and applied words.

~Vincent