Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xz598

Mairujana! Legalize?

This debate always happens the same way. A couple people from the Netherlands and Raz argue with a couple highly uninformed people that think that marijuana causes devil spawn to hunt you down while you're sleeping. Within the 6-7 pages of a debate that is going nowhere, LCD makes a couple witty comments about how uninformed people are. Then the topic dies without anything resolved and leaving everybody with the same beliefs that they had before.

That being said, I believe that it should be legalized.

The effect it has on your body is less severe and you're much more socially capable, though. Driving, talking and forming logical thought pretty much can't be done with weed, but can with Cocaine.

The weed you're smoking must be sprayed with ice or something if you think that driving et al. is impossible on marijuana. You're perfectly capable of making decisions if need be. In fact, studies have shown that people who are high drive more carefully than those who are sober.

The same can't be said about coke.

From experience, and talking with others, it is extremely dangerous to drive whilst under the influence of marijuana. I've heard stories of driving on the wrong side of the road without knowing, stopping at green lights just to stare at them, getting lost, etc. I'd hate to be behind the wheel of a car after smoking, you're in your own zone and just have no awareness. You may drive slower, but that doesn't mean you drive better. I would much rather drive drunk.

You can form a socially destructive addiction to just about any drug, weed included.

I think Jack Nicholson was trying to get at the point that weed is not physically addictive, whereas cocaine is.

Yes I know, and he's right, although weed can still be physically addictive.

All things in moderation, and this applies particularly to: cocaine. Cocaine is, simply, a stimulant of the central nervous system; so is caffeine: Used in moderation and its dosage controlled, the drug produces a short-lived, pleasant high without the dangers of heroin or the other narcotics with which it has been unjustly classified. The true medical danger, aside from possible allergic reaction which may result in fatal anaphylactic shock, is cocaine's ability to produce psychological, not physical addiction.
- Drugtext.org

There's nothing ignorant about what I've said.

Edited by yErrRokK

stopping at green lights just to stare at them
I do that without even smoking. :wub:

Anyway - I've taken the stance of allowing drugs in your home, but as soon as you step off under the influence, you should not drive any vehicle (not even a bicycle).

Cocaine is not a hallucigent, and is far less dangerous (safer than weed) than what most people believe. It's much more addictive though, which is why it's percieved as such a hard drug.

Cocaine is a very addictive, dangerous stimulant that is easily overdosed on with the lethal dose very close to the recreational dose. It is not safer than weed. ;)

Yeah, 'safer' definitely isn't the right word :lol:. The effect it has on your body is less severe and you're much more socially capable, though. Driving, talking and forming logical thought pretty much can't be done with weed, but can with Cocaine. Weed completely alters your grip on reality, which is why it really can't be legalized without strict regulations.

Have you seen people who're addicted to cocaine? Cocaine is very, very destructive.

Cocaine, like other stimulants, is a strong anorexic drug. By releasing all the energy stored in the body at once (in the form of glucose), it will very quickly deplete the body's vital source of energy. This means very rapid cell death once the cocaine is no longer active in the body. Also, because it's an anorexic drug, users generally do not eat much. At least when they're high.

But besides it's rapid physical destructiveness, cocaine also induces strong euphoria via the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin; the two basic neurotransmitters that the brain uses to reward itself. They also play a big roll in decision making and situation-judging. What this means, is that everything around them seems really good around someone who's high on cocaine, for the user at least. It basically completely destroys the ability to make choices and judge situations.

And for a habitual marijuana user, the drug doesn't really prevent them from talking normally or thinking logically. From my own experience with the drug and other people who've used it, I'd say though that most marijuana users are very aware of the situation they're in, or could be getting into. You still know that driving stoned is a very bad idea, and that you probably shouldn't have dinner with your parents blazed. :P It's not gonna make you make choices that you normally wouldn't.

Toungy, you're missing the point of what I was saying. I was merely stating that the high experienced from Cocaine is short, controlled and to the user feels tamer (where I derived 'safer' from) than cannabis. It is somewhat similar to dexamphetamines (which are a prescription drug), though more intense, whilst cannabis is closer to mushrooms than anything, which are just messed up. The long term effects of continued use are well documented, but that was never my point.

Though this is just speaking from experience, not Wikipedia.

sure why not, would you rather have a drunk guy going 100mph behind the wheel or a guy on marijuana who is going 5 mph? Lealize

That's one fair comparision.

Toungy, you're missing the point of what I was saying. I was merely stating that the high experienced from Cocaine is short, controlled and to the user feels tamer (where I derived 'safer' from) than cannabis. It is somewhat similar to dexamphetamines (which are a prescription drug), though more intense, whilst cannabis is closer to mushrooms than anything, which are just messed up. The long term effects of continued use are well documented, but that was never my point.

The high achieved from cocaine can induce extreme mood swings, violent and aggressive behavior, twitching, hyperthermia, paranoia and insomnia. Overdose can easily lead to death through a heart attack or lethal hyperthermia, with the deadly dose being only 1.1 grams (tolerance excluded), which is very close to the recreational dose. (In comparison, the lethal dose of THC is over a thousand times the recreational dose) Dextro-amphetamine is a drug used in severe cases of ADHD, with all the same negative effects and dangers as the very commonly abused drug crystal meth. The recreational dose of dextro-amphetamine, or as it's commonly called: speed, is about 100 mg, whereas the dose for legal prescription use is only 5-10 mg. Dextro-amphetamine is almost as strong, destructive and addictive as crystal meth, just simply not in the doses used for patients with ADHD.

Stimulants have been long known as one of the most dangerous type of drugs, alongside the opiates (heroin, morphine, methadone...) and depressants (alcohol, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, etc.), causing a whole range of negative effects, including severe addiction even after a single time's use. The user feels in control because cocaine releases a high amount of neurotransmitters in the brain linked to those feelings: dopamine and noradrenaline.

Now the reason cocaine is not as dangerous as amphetamines in general is its shorter duration of action. A small bump of coke might get a heavy user high for only 20 minutes, whereas speed can keep a user high for over 15 hours with a single dose, effectively rendering it impossible to act and feel 'normal' the entire day.

Mushrooms (and the other psychedelics like LSD), with the active compound psilocin and psilocybin (analogues of eachother), cause a very safe effect on the brain compared to stimulants. It does not disrupt the hormonal system in the long term like stimulants, it simply mimics a neurotransmitter at a certain site in the brain, causing a whole range of effects from hallucinations to mild euphoria, with almost no physical side effects and dangers.

Psychedelics are more dangerous than stimulants or marijuana in a public setting, where one is expected to be able to judge situations correctly (ergo, while driving or walking outside) because they put the brain in a state where it's simply.. very confused, and it is nearly impossible to judge situations. Unlike marijuana, where it is usually still very easy to act normal and.. well, see the other cars. ;)

But it's complicated. I guess you could say that in an outside or driving setting, stimulants wouldn't be very dangerous drugs. At least not in the way they'd affect those situations. But, if you include all the other risks from addiction to depletion of the body's energy, to neurological damage, cravings making it almost impossible to act normal when the user is not high.. I think they're a lot more dangerous than weed. Or shrooms. :3

I pretty much just assumed the definition of 'safe' to be how, off one dose and no subsequent doses, the user could handle social situations, and react in a logical manner to situations as they arise. For example, you can hold a conversation with a sober person after a dose of cocaine, whereas with marijuana you seem vague and nonsensical. I realize that was a hasty generalization, and just wrote it because it was on my mind at the time, without really explaining myself - which is why I generally steer clear of the Debate Room.

Yes I know, and he's right, although weed can still be physically addictive.

No, it can't. Literally, it cannot. It can be psychologically addictive, but it is absolutely not physically addictive.

Yes, it can.

For example, you can hold a conversation with a sober person after a dose of cocaine, whereas with marijuana you seem vague and nonsensical.

Have you ever done cocaine or marijuana? Because that's not true. It's a lot harder to have a conversation with someone who is snizzed out of their minds compared to someone who is stoned out of their mind. It's also a lot harder to talk to someone who has just done a line compared to someone who has just smoked a bowl.

Yes I have done both, as I said, I'm speaking from personal experience - I'm willing to try most things once. Have you? Because a lot of what you said doesn't line up with any of the side effects of smoking. If you can drive a car, hold conversations, and be normal in social situations, what exactly do you think the drug does to you? Either you've never actually been high, or your friends are so tolerant to THC they no longer experience the full effect.

"Aside from a subjective change in perception, the most common short-term physical and neurological effects of cannabis include increased heart rate, lowered blood pressure, and impairment of psychomotor coordination & concentration."

I've done both drugs, but most of the time I've been sober around other people who have been doing them. Saying a single line of cocaine affects social conversational abilities more than a bowl of cannabis is just plain wrong. Cocaine is a stimulant, so it has effects like increased awareness, concentration and energy. Cannabis is a psychoactive, so can result in an altered stated of consciousness, and distortions in the perception of time and space - which aren't going to help social conversation. When most people smoke they sit around either watching cartoons or listening to music, munching on some food - it's not a social drug.

Cannabis: It is usually supplied as power, in ciggarettes and has the same effects as smoking cigarettes, like tar, CO and rat poison.

Makes you feel more extream of what you are felling now; giggly, paranoid, nauseous, ravenous, spaced out and sleepy.

People use it for chronic illnesses, such as a painkiller, many poeple claim it helps them, but whatever it is used for, it is still ILLEGAL!

Cocaine: It is usually found in a whitish power and poeple sniff it up their noses, it is very expensive and gives you a short lasting "high".

People who are "on" cocaine are usually; boring, obsessed about themself and are very arrogant which is a problem to get to know people.

If someone sniffs too much cocaine, then there cartilage in their noses literatly "collapses" and basicly leaves then with a very flat nose.

Which leads to................................................................

CRACK: This is a stimulant, made from cocaine, then made into clear crystals and smoked in a similar form to cannabis, So whats the difference?

It is very addictive, I mean very, yes very, even more addicting than tobacco, even more addicting than cannabis, even more addicting than cocaine.

Large useage can result in anxiety, hallucinations, paranoia or even worse... death. This is why cocaine should stay banned forever.

Which should stay banned?

Cocaine/Crack, acid/magic mushrooms, heroin, ecstacy

speed??not sure

Which should be legalized?

Cannabis

Edited by error404

Cannabis: It is usually supplied as power, in ciggarettes and has the same effects as smoking cigarettes, like tar, CO and rat poison.

Makes you feel more extream of what you are felling now; giggly, paranoid, nauseous, ravenous, spaced out and sleepy.

People use it for chronic illnesses, such as a painkiller, many poeple claim it helps them, but whatever it is used for, it is still ILLEGAL!

Cocaine: It is usually found in a whitish power and poeple sniff it up their noses, it is very expensive and gives you a short lasting "high".

People who are "on" cocaine are usually; boring, obsessed about themself and are very arrogant which is a problem to get to know people.

If someone sniffs too much cocaine, then there cartilage in their noses literatly "collapses" and basicly leaves then with a very flat nose.

CRACK: This is a stimulant, made from cocaine, then made into clear crystals and smoked in a similar form to cannabis, So whats the difference?

It is very addictive, I mean very, yes very, even more addicting than tobacco, even more addicting than cannabis, even more addicting than cocaine.

Large useage can result in anxiety, hallucinations, paranoia or even worse... death. This is why cocaine should stay banned forever.

speed??not sure

Cannabis

Crack is the freebase form of cocaine. They're the same extremely addictive drug. ;)

However, I agree with you. Whilst marijuana can be an excellent medicine in rare occasions, it is still primarily a recreational drug and illegal in most parts of the world.

I think speed (amphetamine) should remain legal as medicine for ADHD. It is a very effective and relatively safe drug for this purpose. The illegal distribution should remain illegal though, in my opinion.

Edited by Toungy

It won't happen. In America, if any politician even suggests it, they will be kicked out of politics, never to be taken seriously again. Because America has moral values ;) , and principles, and so we would never allow a horrible evil bad scary thing like marijuana legalized.

It won't happen. In America, if any politician even suggests it, they will be kicked out of politics, never to be taken seriously again. Because America has moral values ;) , and principles, and so we would never allow a horrible evil bad scary thing like marijuana legalized.

Didn't Barack Obama talk about the legalization of marijuana, though?

Sorry, but there's something going through the Massachusetts state senate that legalizes marijuana. And it's at 60% passing last I checked. And California already has made it illegal...

You mean legal? If someone over 18 is smoking a joint at Venice Beach, no one cares. I've seen cops have conversations with people that are smoking. Smoking just to smoke is still illegal here, it's just highly decriminalized.

Sorry, but there's something going through the Massachusetts state senate that legalizes marijuana. And it's at 60% passing last I checked. And California already has made it illegal...

Can I have a link to that legalization in Massachusetts? I'd be pretty cool if it was the first state to make both weed and gay marriage legal. We're such rebels up here. :lol:

If marijuana was legalized then the people that smoke it would move onto another drug. They just want to do the things that are illegal. Well, except the occasional few that just want it to mellow out.

If marijuana was legalized then the people that smoke it would move onto another drug. They just want to do the things that are illegal. Well, except the occasional few that just want it to mellow out.

The market for marijuana should remain the same, though; new consumers, who originally didn't do marijuana due to it being illegal, would purchase marijuana and may become hooked to it. But, if the people who did marijuana while it was illegal didn't move to a new drug, anyway, then the drug industry would just become stronger, thus making the US economy stronger.

Personally, I think marijuana should be legalized in the same way that tobacco is. The choice should be up to the person themselves whether or not they want to use the drug.
My thought is the same. I strongly support personal freedoms, therefore there is no way that pop should be illegal.

I'll think it's horribly hypocritical that kids can have caffeine, an addictive drug, but then pot is outlawed.

For what it's worth, a former quite-heavy drug user friend of mine pretty much has the same opinion of of cocaine as Yerrok does. She said if it was used in moderation and you were sure it was of good quality, that the worst thing that would happen is you would REALLY clean your house (she apparently did chores while on stimulants...).

Are you sure you've tried these things? It sounds like you don't really have any idea about them. ;)

I smoke marijuana semi regularly and have done cocaine a few times, I know exactly what both drugs do to me and the people around me. If you're going to just dispute what I say with statements like "that's not true" this really isn't going to go anywhere. Clearly our experiences differ, and to be honest I could ask you the same question. How can you say people don't listen to music and munch on food in a quiet, warm place after smoking? I don't know what type of weed you're smoking, but I've never had any that makes me proactive to go shopping, study, or hit a nightclub.

People take stimulants to be proactive

People take stimulants to study

People take stimulants to go out partying

Maybe you should try some?

Edited by yErrRokK

speed??not sure

Cannabis

Crack is the freebase form of cocaine. They're the same extremely addictive drug. ;)

However, I agree with you. Whilst marijuana can be an excellent medicine in rare occasions, it is still primarily a recreational drug and illegal in most parts of the world.

I think speed (amphetamine) should remain legal as medicine for ADHD. It is a very effective and relatively safe drug for this purpose. The illegal distribution should remain illegal though, in my opinion.

crack is much more addicting than cocaine believe me.

one boy in our school tried loads of drugs and ended up craving for crack

Speed can be used for treatment, so in treatment form it should be legalized, but also i don't see why not cannabis/marijuana shouldn't be legalized

Stay Banned

Cocaine and crack (which is a more extreme form of crack) should definitely stay banned, crack is the worse, but cocaine is used to make crack really.

Magic mushrooms and acid should as these cause hallucinations, e.g. someone thought someone were chasing them, so they jumped down a skyscraper.

heroin IMO is the worst drug ever, it has a really nasty past and a really nasty effect on someone, it craves the user for it and has an intendancy to kill.

Ecstasy is like speed and acid/mushrooms put together, people say "I love you to object and people" and they don't know what is in them, drug dealers sometimes put plastic bags, bleach and light bulbs in the pills, pure ecstasy is not going to kill, but the ingredients might and it is what people do after, they drink so much water they drown themselves. I know another boy who's half of his brain turned black from ecstasy.

Well, the US spends billions on prohibition there, so that's money saved. Then the government could tax it, that's money gained. The jail/prison system would be a lot less congested, less people going to jail is even more money saved.

Marijuana is only mentally addicting and isn't as dangerous as people think. It isn't linked to lung cancer, although inhaling any smoke is dangerous, and there are safe ways of consuming it too. Of course driving while high would be illegal, because we'd have so many drivers going 30 miles under the speed limit XD.

Drugs like Mushrooms and LSD aren't dangerous either, but they can be in a certain setting or if you don't have a good trip. Salvia is legal and you can have much more intense trips than on LSD or shrooms but has a shorter duration. Very intense. I don't see either LSD or shrooms becoming legal but maybe decriminalized.

Edited by Choclat Puddin

Don't forget it is ALMOST impossible to overdose on Marijuana. You have to EAT 1 third of your body weight in Marijuana, in 15 MINUTES. (Not Smoke.)

So let's put that into perspective.

Average weight of an adult male in the US: 189.9 pounds.

189.9 / 3 = 63.3 pounds

I don't know about you but I don't think that I could eat a 63 pound salad in 15 minutes. ;)

(Information from Here.)

Edited by Lemos

Don't forget it is ALMOST impossible to overdose on Marijuana. You have to EAT 1 third of your body weight in Marijuana, in 15 MINUTES. (Not Smoke.)

189.9 / 3 = 63.3 pounds

I don't know about you but I don't think that I could eat a 63 pound salad in 15 minutes. ;)

(Information from Here.)

If you eat a third of your body weight in anything you'll die.

189.9 / 3 = 63.3 pounds

(Information from Here.)

in 15 minutes of course

and cannabis can be overdosed, just not that easily i suppose

189.9 / 3 = 63.3 pounds

I don't know about you but I don't think that I could eat a 63 pound salad in 15 minutes. :lol:

(Information from Here.)

I'd totally eat that amount of pepperoni panzanella even without marijuana.. ;)

Including water.