Jump to content
Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NJL72413

Is The Public Education System Good? Why?

Recommended Posts

Good? It needs improvement. But that doesn't mean we should scrap it and reduce education to only being for those who could afford it. They were the Dark Ages, after all, not the Golden Ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could use better funding in some areas and a higher staff quality but overall its pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Severly underqualified teachers who don't actually care about teaching in some areas.

 

Or how about in South Carolina, where a district of schools receives so little funding that they cannot even provide a 'minimally adequate education'? (link)

 

These are isolated incidents, and can't be used to put down public schooling overall. In fact, it's South Carolina's governments fault. And i don't know where you live, but underqualified teachers don't get jobs teaching... The whole teaching course is a fairly long one actually, but there are a lot of people on it so there's no reason for anybody to take on inadiquate staff. In fact, they really can't. They have to have had several levels of CACHE training to learn how to work with children for starters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Severly underqualified teachers who don't actually care about teaching in some areas.

 

Or how about in South Carolina, where a district of schools receives so little funding that they cannot even provide a 'minimally adequate education'? (link)

 

These are isolated incidents, and can't be used to put down public schooling overall. In fact, it's South Carolina's governments fault. And i don't know where you live, but underqualified teachers don't get jobs teaching... The whole teaching course is a fairly long one actually, but there are a lot of people on it so there's no reason for anybody to take on inadiquate staff. In fact, they really can't. They have to have had several levels of CACHE training to learn how to work with children for starters...

I never said those things apply to all public schools everywhere. I'm just saying that the way public schools are designed allow those faults to happen. In my opinion, the technicalities of the public school system need to be revamped to provide more than adequate education across the board, no exceptions.

 

Well, in England at least that is true. Schools are regularly tested (at random) by OFSTED to see if they are up to national standard, and if they fail but one aspect then they are told what to do about it and are revisited soon after to see if action has been taken. If it hasn't then more drastic measures are put into place, and if still nothing happens and nobody is able to do anything about it then the school will be closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the education system was good, maybe I'd like to go to school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, go biscuit!

 

So what effects does the public school system have on kids, as opposed to private school, home school, no school? Can public schools do no wrong =P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Large class sizes, unqualified teachers, low test scores...

 

Not that I'm hating. I'm quite grateful for the fact that my education includes so many subjects and I still have the right to express my opinions at school (not saying it's great, but I can disagree politely with a teacher). It's just that the system could be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOL, go biscuit!

 

So what effects does the public school system have on kids, as opposed to private school, home school, no school? Can public schools do no wrong =P

 

Wider selection of topics. More qualified teachers even if some are under qualified. Benefits over private school is generally price and facilities which some private schools lack. Sports and extra curricular activities are much better in public schools, etc.

 

I'd say the best education would usually be in a private school but you can never be sure as the private school I went to was absolutely terrible compared to my public school which I'm going to now. Home schooling is touchy and I really don't feel like arguing it with you yet again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No its not.

 

Overcrowded schools and classrooms, dont learn anything as teachers cant control classes and often teach things below or above ability, poorly funded using books my parents would of thought of as new when they were at school, bad enviroment for working, i just finished work experience and i realised how bad schooling conditions are really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is that this topic lacks focus. That is, I've been through compulsory public education for 13 years and found few or none of the points people above me make: overcrowded classrooms - the law sets a maximum of 25 students per class, and I've never been in a classroom with more than 24 students; teacher can't control classes - they damn well could, and if one or more than one insisted on not paying attention, they'd have to repeat the year: strangely enough, most have learned; poorly funded - that was not my case at all, and anyway we didn't have any books up to high school, and then we had to buy them ourselves.

 

I've never been to a private school, but I have two friends that did. Neither of them attended class for more than thirty days: they just needed to pay an extra and bam, insta-promotion.

 

Can public schools do no wrong =P
Can private school do no wrong? Can no education at all do no wrong? Is there supposed to be an answer to a question so ridiculously broad?

 

"Teachers can't control classes". You make it look as if it was up to the teacher to make you learn, absolving you from anything wrong you can do...which is fiddlesticks. Your education is also up to you. If you don't want to pay attention, don't blame it on someone else. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOL, go biscuit!

 

So what effects does the public school system have on kids, as opposed to private school, home school, no school? Can public schools do no wrong =P

It seems that public schools are worse than private schools. That's why my friend and I say "Oh sorry, I go to public school." whenever we do something stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The government pushes too much.

 

Here we have to take 3 years in highschool learning about history and the environment and being told that "drugs and smoking is bad, exercise is good!"

 

I mean sure, some people care. But everyone knows the basics from a young age in western society, and while some find history interesting, it sure as hell isn't useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The public school system is deeply flawed. Underqualified, non-motivated, and sadistic faculty are in the majority. There is never any money for anything important. Everything is taught in order to pass government-issued examinations. Never mind knowing anything for its own sake. What is not on the exam is not taught. Everyone is shoved through the same molding process to get them through school as fast as possible with passing scores on exams. Not everyone fits but must conform anyway.

 

You can't fatten a pig by weighing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It honestly depends where you live. This topic seems a little broad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Trying to base people's teaching abilities on test scores for one thing. We take waaay to many test and alot of kids don't even care about them so it doesn't really tell you anything. And the "No Child Left Behind" thing. Which makes schools that aren't doing so good have less funding. Which makes it harder to make improvements. And there's one elementary school in my school system that is having trouble cause their percentage level is like 90 something and they are still trying to make them raise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could use better funding in some areas and a higher staff quality but overall its pretty good.

 

I wholeheartedly agree. I feel as if some teachers just aren't qualified to teach at higher levels (middle school and up) or just don't care about the kids as much as they should (mostly happens with those who've been in the business for a long time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends; it's not an easy question to answer. Firstly, are you talking about public education in general? because it depends on a lot of different factors, public education can be good or bad depending where you're from.

 

In NSW the public education system is generally good. Most of the private schools in NSW are religious schools, about 80% of them being Catholic. Personally, I am opposed to religious schools because I value a secular education, however, I realise I am biased as an Atheist. Alas, even thougn religious schools here follow the set curriculum for core mandatory subjects they have are able to alter anything that is not set by the Board of Studies which results in them looking at issues (such as sex education) from a Christian perspective, rather than just stating the facts. Also, to teach at a religious school, teachers need to have been educated at a Catholic tertiary institute and therefore, the teachers tend to be biased in Subjects such as Science and the Arts, which is disappointing to say the least.

 

However, private schools do have their advantage, such as resources, smaller class rooms and better facilities. I value public education and aim to teach in the public sector myself. However, I don't think you can say one is better than the other or if the public education system is good because it really just depends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Britain the Private Schools are generally better than the Public ones. Though there are two types of Private Schools here.

 

There is the type that is entirely focussed on grades. They push ridiculously hard, kick children who won't get the grades they want out and generally give the students a horrible time for a few good grades. These ones may get better grades but I don't feel they are better public schools.

 

The other type, my type, are more focussed on an all round education. My school focuses on music, sports and academia. We hold a massive concert in Notts Albert Hall each year which last a good few hours and showcases the best of our school. We have two National Cup Winners in our school teams and we have an international Hockey Player. And our school really helps get good grades. Our year had a 99.8% 5 A* to C's in our GCSEs and the last year to graduate had 78% A grades at A2. These are generally higher than public schools, at least in our area.

 

I put it down to being able to afford more qualified teachers. In my subjects I get taught by four Doctors (Astrophysic PhD, 'Quantum Electron Excitement' PhD, Synthesis of viral strains of NZ Sheep Flu PhD and an Alzheimers PhD) which is hard to find at public schools. As well as better teachings we have better facilities, anout 600 computers around the school for the 1200 students and more equipment in sciences and stuff.

 

While I don't see anything wrong in 90% of the public sector (the other 10% being the schools that clearly have something with them) I feel that Private education can give you a better all round education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
While I don't see anything wrong in 90% of the public sector (the other 10% being the schools that clearly have something with them) I feel that Private education can give you a better all round education.

 

Though that also depends on the private school.

 

I went to private school for 2 years that was completely terrible. The teachers didn't know anything. The kids knew less and they cared more about how they looked to people looking in from the outside than actually teaching.

 

On the other hand I've had some excellent teachers in my public (state) school. Sure my Maths teacher at the moment is so bad that I learn more by reading a small passage in our book than listening to him for 20 minutes but a few bad teachers don't ruin an entire system especially since I know for fact there are about 4 other maths teachers that teach my year who are much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Large class sizes, unqualified teachers, low test scores...

 

Not that I'm hating. I'm quite grateful for the fact that my education includes so many subjects and I still have the right to express my opinions at school (not saying it's great, but I can disagree politely with a teacher). It's just that the system could be better.

 

Low test scores are by comparison though, namely to other countries. In America, we have standardize tests that every student, from valedictorian to last-in-the-class, takes. Other nations like Japan, Germany, and China, they only give field tests to their elite students. That's why "our" test scores seem low.

 

So I don't think low test scores are a problem at all.

 

The only problems with our educational system would be:

-Teachers that aren't qualified

-Slow progression in topics (seriously, I was bored out of my mind with math and english in Junior High, even though I was 2 years in advance)

-One suggestion I would put in is to have all schools administer tests in the beginning of the year for their students to see what they know in the curriculum and then focus on what they don't know. Or, if they get a 90 or above on the test, let them exempt the course and move into the next year's course for that subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's not really much that's bad about it... seriously, name something.

Large class sizes, unqualified teachers, low test scores...

 

Not that I'm hating. I'm quite grateful for the fact that my education includes so many subjects and I still have the right to express my opinions at school (not saying it's great, but I can disagree politely with a teacher). It's just that the system could be better.

 

Low test scores are by comparison though, namely to other countries. In America, we have standardize tests that every student, from valedictorian to last-in-the-class, takes. Other nations like Japan, Germany, and China, they only give field tests to their elite students. That's why "our" test scores seem low.

 

So I don't think low test scores are a problem at all.

 

The only problems with our educational system would be:

-Teachers that aren't qualified

-Slow progression in topics (seriously, I was bored out of my mind with math and english in Junior High, even though I was 2 years in advance)

-One suggestion I would put in is to have all schools administer tests in the beginning of the year for their students to see what they know in the curriculum and then focus on what they don't know. Or, if they get a 90 or above on the test, let them exempt the course and move into the next year's course for that subject.

 

Agreed i never learnt a single thing in math for the last 5 years no meaning am suppose to do uni math but we need harder stuff man we need joints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
While I don't see anything wrong in 90% of the public sector (the other 10% being the schools that clearly have something with them) I feel that Private education can give you a better all round education.

 

Though that also depends on the private school.

 

I went to private school for 2 years that was completely terrible. The teachers didn't know anything. The kids knew less and they cared more about how they looked to people looking in from the outside than actually teaching.

 

On the other hand I've had some excellent teachers in my public (state) school. Sure my Maths teacher at the moment is so bad that I learn more by reading a small passage in our book than listening to him for 20 minutes but a few bad teachers don't ruin an entire system especially since I know for fact there are about 4 other maths teachers that teach my year who are much better.

I looked at your time zone and it appears that you are American? If not then at least somewhere near those time zones.

 

I don't know how the American system works so I can;t really comment on it, I was instead talking about the British system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
While I don't see anything wrong in 90% of the public sector (the other 10% being the schools that clearly have something with them) I feel that Private education can give you a better all round education.

 

Though that also depends on the private school.

 

I went to private school for 2 years that was completely terrible. The teachers didn't know anything. The kids knew less and they cared more about how they looked to people looking in from the outside than actually teaching.

 

On the other hand I've had some excellent teachers in my public (state) school. Sure my Maths teacher at the moment is so bad that I learn more by reading a small passage in our book than listening to him for 20 minutes but a few bad teachers don't ruin an entire system especially since I know for fact there are about 4 other maths teachers that teach my year who are much better.

I looked at your time zone and it appears that you are American? If not then at least somewhere near those time zones.

 

I don't know how the American system works so I can;t really comment on it, I was instead talking about the British system

 

Yeah. I figured you were commenting on the Britsh system but it still stands that everywhere private does not mean better and state/public does not mean worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.