Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Magic of Woodcut

Memorizing A Book Of The Bible

My grandma has given me the challenge of memorizing the book of Proverbs by the end of this year. I need some tips or advice for completing this task. SOME1 help lol.

Audiobook format will help, then you can listen whilst walking to school or what not... Just read and read and read... Write it out with shortened words. Will she be testing you like "what's verse 17" or do you just have to recite it ;)

She said I could either read the entire book at the same time (no thanks lol) or I can read it chapter by chapter, one at a time, which sounds a lot easier. I don't think its a quiz, I'm going to be reciting it ;)

Then just learn a chapter by the method I said, recite it, forget it and learn the next one...

Guest Emanick

Wow, that's an incredibly hard challenge. That said, Proverbs is definitely one of the best books to memorize.

What they said - listen to audio of it constantly, and if there are any parts of it sung, try those. Read chapters day after day. Focus on a few at a time. The good thing about Hebrew poetry is that it repeats themes, not syllables, so it's easier than many other types of verse would be to memorize.

Good luck!

Thanks ;) One problem, however, would be that I think the Living Bible version would be an easier version to try to comprehend, especially at age 13. Does anyone know where I can get an audio file downloadable for this version of bible? If so please post :lol:

I personally know 5 chapters of Proverbs, 3, 20, 21, 22, and 25!

Took me ages to learn them but I did a verse a day so thats probably why, because its not hard.

Proverbs is definitely one of the easiest to remember imo, because its just proverbs isn't it a bit like wise sayings! ;)

Get audio and listen to it whilst woodcutting, and your going to have to want to learn it, it will be tedious!

Good luck

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. - Two Timothy, 3:15 - AV
Edited by Spectre

Here is a link where you can download every chapter in MP3 form.

Thanks ;) One problem, however, would be that I think the Living Bible version would be an easier version to try to comprehend, especially at age 13. Does anyone know where I can get an audio file downloadable for this version of bible? If so please post :lol:

Pirate it? Another clever solution would be to record yourself reading it.

And the listening to it is based on the assumption that you're an audial learner, and not everyone is. Some people memorize best by listening, some people memorize best while reading it over and over, some people memorize best by repeated writing. If you find you're not memorizing it thoroughly by listening, you should try out a different method.

LMFAO that's so contradictory i'm rolling.

"Though shall not steal"

Pirate it? Another clever solution would be to record yourself reading it.

And the listening to it is based on the assumption that you're an audial learner, and not everyone is. Some people memorize best by listening, some people memorize best while reading it over and over, some people memorize best by repeated writing. If you find you're not memorizing it thoroughly by listening, you should try out a different method.

Pirate a book of the Bible. I lol'd.

Read it while listening to the audio file. Write down parts of it, if not all. Writing actually helps to memorise. Quiz yourself on it, or find questions about it via the internet.

The Book of Proverbs. The longest book in the Bible. My only suggestion would have to be use a Bible version that's easy to read and is in modern English u understand. No need to read the Latin Vulgate or the Douai-Rheims when u can't even understand the words they use. The New American Bible is a good example or if u want even simpler text the Today's English Version.

Good luck. And note that rehearsing the Bible without fully understanding it's meaning doesn't prove anything. I hope that ur reading of proverbs will inspire u along the way and not just act as a bet of some sort.

The Book of Proverbs. The longest book in the Bible. My only suggestion would have to be use a Bible version that's easy to read and is in modern English u understand. No need to read the Latin Vulgate or the Douai-Rheims when u can't even understand the words they use. The New American Bible is a good example or if u want even simpler text the Today's English Version.

Good luck. And note that rehearsing the Bible without fully understanding it's meaning doesn't prove anything. I hope that ur reading of proverbs will inspire u along the way and not just act as a bet of some sort.

What he said.

There's no point blindly memorizing something without a single point.

Certainly a challenge, that.

Do it a little bit at a time, and it always helps to do it just before you go to sleep ;)

Good grief. You're starting with Proverbs? It's kinda like starting a mountain climbing career by starting with Pikes Peak...

What others have said is good. But remember that the Proverbs have a good flow to them.

Do something more productive like reading a book or solve some puzzles instead of bothering with this. What do you gain? Very little.

Yeh, I was about to ask why you took the challenge

Guest Emanick
Do something more productive like reading a book or solve some puzzles instead of bothering with this. What do you gain? Very little.

Memorizing a book, whether a Biblical one, a Koran one, or Harry Potter and the Glasgow Conspiracy, builds memory and brain activity. And Proverbs has some interesting philosophical concepts in it.

Proverbs is all about wisdom dude. If you read it you're sure to gain a little of it :lol: AND I HAVE RECITED CHAPTER 1. I need to go recite chapters 2-31 now ;)

:P

Guest Emanick

Proverbs is all about wisdom dude. If you read it you're sure to gain a little of it :P AND I HAVE RECITED CHAPTER 1. I need to go recite chapters 2-31 now ;)

;)

Mathematically, you'll be done by July! :lol:

Memorizing a book, whether a Biblical one, a Koran one, or Harry Potter and the Glasgow Conspiracy, builds memory and brain activity. And Proverbs has some interesting philosophical concepts in it.

Memorising it is such a trivial thing to do though. Sure, read it and think about it but why would you bother memorising it? You can prove that you have the capability of doing so but it's pretty pointless. Use the time instead to build stuff or learn about some science. Learning off stuff isn't going to help you.

Guest Emanick

Memorising it is such a trivial thing to do though. Sure, read it and think about it but why would you bother memorising it? You can prove that you have the capability of doing so but it's pretty pointless. Use the time instead to build stuff or learn about some science. Learning off stuff isn't going to help you.

It builds brain power to hold large amounts of information in your head, and it's good practice for a lot of things if you've got a lot of school to go, or if your future career involves memorization. It's also very good for your verbal proficiency, no matter what you're memorizing.

Wow! What a challenge. I think lilshu and emanick offered some rather good advice, so I'll only wish you good luck.

Wait a second... Wasn't that Psalms?

Do Revelations or Genesis. The sex factor is high in those books.

I'm not saying physical sex, but they are pretty damn sexy. And it takes a lot to say that the Bible is sexy.