Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cake

What?! 11-year Old Graduates From A College?!?!?!?

I can see him becomnig a Sheldon from Big Bang theory, without the comics and video games. Hasn't be missed out on all the cool stuff in life though, pokemon cards, dates when your 11 (awkward silences galor) and midnight feasts that relaly happen at 7 in the evening because midnights slightly past your bedtime

Oh and all this stuff abotu helping humanity, he has missed the lesson of "know ones gonna help you unless they get something out of it" hasn't he?

Edited by easl

I think that since he's 11 he still has the chance of living out his teenage years, which are the best in my opinion ;) He should go to middle and high school and enjoy life - once he's done he wont have any problem living out his "productive" life with book writing and such.

My advice to this kid:

You can't save the world; when you're older than 11, you'll realise that.

I think it's ridiculous that people consider video games a waste of time; what you do in your leisure time *should* be a waste of time. It's only an issue when you're video playing time is eating into everything else in your life.

The sad thing about this kid is, he probably spent most of his youth studying and he's lost a vital part of his youth he can never get back. You can always go to university, take martial arts and to things to help humanity, but you can never get your youth back again.

If I were his parents, I'd be sad rather than pleased.

He can save the world, anything's possible.

He should do what he wants to with his life. If he spent his youth studying, then that's good for him, he'll have more time to achieve greater things in his lifetime. He wouldn't have to spend his early adulthood in university classrooms, attempting to learn things which he has learned right now. He would be doing more prestigious things, for example, finding a cure to cancer, because of the fact that his prior knowledge and education would have helped him to do those things as a young adult. But if not, I bet you that he'll be spending more time at universities, eating up and learning more information which will help him to understand and solve the problems of the world.

If I was his parent, I would be very proud of him.

I'm with Gardner on this one. If he's so brilliant, why'd he attend a community college?

Agreed. Now, had it been Yale, I would understand the fuss over it. That said, I still wish him the best of luck with his goal, (the one about changing the world) it is a good one, if he really thinks it.

~John

Yes, there's no denying he's brilliant. Who knows, he could do something amazing with his life!

But Yale would be pretty much an impossibility. Because it would NEVER accept an 8-year-old, were his IQ 30 or 300. A community college is pretty much as high as this kid could reach.

...At some point along the line I passed into believing this. I don't know where. ;)

He is in community college, with an easy-to-get degree... Who even knows what classes he took? How hard they were, etc. etc..

If he were truely good, he could go to Yale at 11.

~John

Although most of us are criticizing him, that doesn't mean we're overlooking the fact that he just graduated college at 11. Could you do that, did you do that? No...so we can all sit here and criticize him but the truth is that he's getting paid a lot more than us when he grows up. :lol:

Community college? Please, go to a real college, then i'll be impressed.

This kid has one of the worst lives imaginable. I'd rather enjoy the day than be an achiever. When people see a ten year old with a Fender giving Hendrix a run for his money, the immediate reaction is "Woah, that kid is amazing!". The truth behind it is that his parents have pressured music onto him at an early age and are using their little child prodigy as a tool. In this college situation, I'd also blame the parents. They'd sure love to have their child finish schooling at half the age most people do, but they've basically ruined his life.

Also, [email protected]"helping humanity". The point of helping humanity is not only to make the world better for everyone else, but to make the world better for yourself (if you disagree, we could have a fun philosophical discussion). A pre-teen dweeb will not change the world. The men who truly change the world didn't expect to.

Edited by Bennett

What is this? more propaganda about video games being bad?

My advice to this kid:

I think it's ridiculous that people consider video games a waste of time; what you do in your leisure time *should* be a waste of time. It's only an issue when you're video playing time is eating into everything else in your life.

The sad thing about this kid is, he probably spent most of his youth studying and he's lost a vital part of his youth he can never get back. You can always go to university, take martial arts and to things to help humanity, but you can never get your youth back again.

God, I just seem to disagree with everything you say. Nothing personal, but I don't think we'd get along.

Fun doesn't end once someone turns 18, or matriculates, or gets a Ph.D or gets their first job or whatever rite of passage people consider to make an adult. Has anyone considered that maybe he just doesn't like videogames? For instance, Sleepy herself dislikes major league sports and thinks they're a huge waste of time and money that could be better spent on other things. She does not watch them, but she does acknowledge that other people do find such things enjoyable even if she does not. Different people have different hobbies, obsessions and tastes. Just because the things that one individual enjoys most would be considered more constructive than what another individual enjoys, it doesn't mean that the former is a workaholic with no sense of fun or that the latter is a slacker with no ambitions.

People need to figure out things themselves. If this kid's parents pushed him into getting into college early then Sleepy could see how this could be seen as horrible, but if it was out of the kid's own free will, why all the animosity? Why would one kind of childhood be inherently better than one or another, especially if this sort of choice was made out of one's own volition? If this kid wants to live his life one way, it's not like he can't catch up on doing stupid kid stuff later - people will just give him funny looks for what he's doing, just like they are now.

;)

video games a waste of time? BLASPHEMY that kid does not no how life works he probably has no imigination or frends he cant belive that goon sed video games were a wast of time ummm i am pretty sure that u play video games wen u have time to spare and if u want to waste ure time on ure games console than u do it oh my god i am not going to be able to let this go video games a waste of time god wat an idiot

wel if he gets rid of vg i will be

put away for murder....bet jack thompson's happy about this bloody kid

god bet this kid will have no energy no imigination no frends wen he is 17

I think you need to take a leaf out of his book, fast...

"I feel it's a waste of time playing video games because it's not helping humanity in any way,"

What an arrogant dumbbutt (yes i censored it for ya)...thinks he is better than everyone ;).

Who cares. 11 is great. Yeah. So he did. Then what? What could he do to help humanity. Video games are the best anyway. ;) If you think video games suck. You probably have never played one. If video games never helped humanity, then nothing else helps humanity. Playing video games makes us human. see? humanity.

Video games don't help anything? What a sad way of thought.

- Creates jobs.

- Allows people to express themselves in a way no other media could.

- Allows people to live out a fantasy that they could never achieve otherwise.

- Broadens the minds of people who play and opens them up to a new way of thought.

Lets just use Portal as an example. The game portal is like a giant puzzle. After playing it I have a new sense of physics, logic, and problem solving. Even a game like Cod has thinking. When you're being rushed by several people from several angles the thought process on what to do next can be compared to basic life solving problems.

It seems that this kid just hasn't matured enough yet to fully understand the world, and by growing up like this he might never understand.

You could actually say video games as a breakout from reality.. :lol:

If you get a special set with glasses, you can be TOTALLY into a game, because you only see the game, and if it was Wii, well, then you would be Link in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess if you want ;)

But maybe a bit bad for your eyes.. ;)

It is good for him that he is clever, but he has to take a break sometimes, or else he will have a breakdown for preassure.

He shows who he is. But, that way he will need breaks now and then to not get all burnt out, that way he can stay the same andn ot change cuz of a breakdown. :P

Edited by King Aragorn

Not on the agenda: playing video games.

"I feel it's a waste of time playing video games because it's not helping humanity in any way," says the 11-year-old, who wants to use his knowledge to change the world.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/11...lege.html?yhp=1

Dude, that's impossible! Impossible!! ;)

it sure is impossible!

which jgkdsg,sshole wrote this article?

in other words, he ruined his teenage years, byebye now

"I feel it's a waste of time playing video games because it's not helping humanity in any way," says the 11-year-old, who wants to use his knowledge to change the world.

it sure is impossible!

Hes 11 btw.

it sure is impossible!

Hes 11 btw.

argh,

better said: he'll miss something "regular" kids have when they grow up

those fine memory's from when when you were on school trip, such things

Because being smart and getting an associate's degree at an early age is much less important than making a new RS account.

He didn't ruin his teenage years, not at all, but if you still say he did, then that's a matter open for discussion. But the point is, he'll have more time to do very productive things when he is an adult. So in conclusion, it's only a matter of having fun or achieving great things.

Its indeed good to get memories from school, like funny ones.. ;)

Like meeting girls.. :lol:

And you get friends to talk to.

And that again, will bring you to play games.

Like, playing Halo against your friends. :P

He may have graduated from college, but it doesn't look like he's mentally matured much (other than knowledge). You can tell because of how naive he is.

Wait, wait, wait. He says video games aren't helping humanity in any way, but how are playing piano and martial arts?

I'm with Gardner on this one. If he's so brilliant, why'd he attend a community college?

Agreed. Now, had it been Yale, I would understand the fuss over it. That said, I still wish him the best of luck with his goal, (the one about changing the world) it is a good one, if he really thinks it.

~John

Yes, there's no denying he's brilliant. Who knows, he could do something amazing with his life!

But Yale would be pretty much an impossibility. Because it would NEVER accept an 8-year-old, were his IQ 30 or 300. A community college is pretty much as high as this kid could reach.

...At some point along the line I passed into believing this. I don't know where. ;)

Completely untrue.

Accepted an 8 year old genius would mean giant publicity which means giant profits. As long as the kid was at least somewhat intelligent (for a yale student :lol:) he would definitely get in.

/headdesk

You guys do know the youngest college graduate was 10 right, and that was years ago :lol:.

Because being smart and getting an associate's degree at an early age is much less important than making a new RS account.

He didn't ruin his teenage years, not at all, but if you still say he did, then that's a matter open for discussion. But the point is, he'll have more time to do very productive things when he is an adult. So in conclusion, it's only a matter of having fun or achieving great things.

You want me to explain that he has 3-5 years of being able to do absolutely NOTHING now, well except his "write a book theory". He can't do any job legally. Also, something's wrong. The parents said next to nothing.

Wait, wait, wait. He says video games aren't helping humanity in any way, but how are playing piano and martial arts?

Musical instruments actually expand the artistic portion of your brain and has an influential impact towards math and science, martial arts train your basic instincts to their absolute limit.

Musical instruments actually expand the artistic portion of your brain and has an influential impact towards math and science, martial arts train your basic instincts to their absolute limit.

Ok, but what does that do for humanity? I'm not saying those aren't good hobby's it's just they don't do much for humanity, so he kinda contradicted himself.

nothing special, im only in my early teens and i'm learning 3rd/4th yr abstract algebra from a prof. my friend in grade 4 applied to go to highschool calculus, it took a month for the paperwork, in that time he learnt it all and pwnt the rest of the gr 12 class. he's going to MIT/berkey i dunno he's still unsure. i'm preped for all of HS/UNI already ;)

You want me to explain that he has 3-5 years of being able to do absolutely NOTHING now, well except his "write a book theory". He can't do any job legally. Also, something's wrong. The parents said next to nothing.

Except, maybe, go back to school again and get another degree?

Like I said, he's productively using this time to do things that many ordinary people would do at a later age. He'll eventually find himself with more time to do great things as an adult, which I'm sure, with evidence of him calling video games a waste of time, is something he looks forward to.

Edited by Topdog

What is this? more propaganda about video games being bad?

My advice to this kid:

You're sitting on a forum, and you're 18+

He's 11, and he has definitely done more than you when you were that age, and probably is close to your level right now. Judge him when he's your age, but don't rule out his abilities because he is faster, smaller and smarter than you are. This is his youth. I trust that he has friends outside of university, and is probably continuing with martial arts, and probably will continue with it. Education doesn't make up one's youth, and video games are just one thing that make up one's youth.

He is a very talented child, and that should be celebrated.

Asian.

-twitch-

It sounds to me that either he really wants to help humanity, or that he's just an attention seeker.

Edited by Shmoe