Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gravedigg154

Drugs

You could actually chug a large jar full of Acid without any physical damage.

Except that you'd die. 12,000 micrograms is certainly lethal, not to mention 'a large jar'.

When you get LSD in liquid form, it's diluted most of the time, to control dosage and whatnot.

I wasn't talking about pure LSD.

There have been quite a few deaths from ecstasy use. Ecstasy is one of the least safe drugs to use. Pure MDMA (also known as 'ecstasy') is rare, and the pills are very commonly impure, containing other drugs as well like amphetamine, ketamine (a very addictive opiate), heroin, cocaine, ritalin, DXM, BZP, etc. 'Real' X (pure MDMA) is relatively safe to use but causes a serious down that can last for up to a few weeks.

And there are only a few short-acting drugs. They include alcohol (1 hour or more, depending on how much is consumed), cocaine (5 mins - 1 hour), ketamine (half an hour - 1 hours, depending on dose), general solvents (5 mins - 2 hours), poppers (1-5 mins), nicotine (10 mins - 1 hour) and heroin/morphine (1-3 hours). These are also the most dangerous and addictive drugs that are commonly used, legally or illegally. The longer acting drugs like marijuana, LSD, mushrooms, 2C-B, etc. are not considered to be addictive and none of them cause a hangover.

Ketamine isn't very addictive.

You can become psychologically but not physically dependent on ketamine (which means you can develop the desire to keep taking it in spite of potential harm but without any withdrawal effects on stopping use).

There have been quite a few deaths from ecstasy use. Ecstasy is one of the least safe drugs to use. Pure MDMA (also known as 'ecstasy') is rare, and the pills are very commonly impure, containing other drugs as well like amphetamine, ketamine (a very addictive opiate), heroin, cocaine, ritalin, DXM, BZP, etc. 'Real' X (pure MDMA) is relatively safe to use but causes a serious down that can last for up to a few weeks.

And there are only a few short-acting drugs. They include alcohol (1 hour or more, depending on how much is consumed), cocaine (5 mins - 1 hour), ketamine (half an hour - 1 hours, depending on dose), general solvents (5 mins - 2 hours), poppers (1-5 mins), nicotine (10 mins - 1 hour) and heroin/morphine (1-3 hours). These are also the most dangerous and addictive drugs that are commonly used, legally or illegally. The longer acting drugs like marijuana, LSD, mushrooms, 2C-B, etc. are not considered to be addictive and none of them cause a hangover.

Ketamine isn't very addictive.

You can become psychologically but not physically dependent on ketamine (which means you can develop the desire to keep taking it in spite of potential harm but without any withdrawal effects on stopping use).

Amphetamines (including meth) aren't physically addictive either. Ketamine is very addictive. I don't know from personal experience luckily, but I have a few friends that are "hooked" on it. They're not constantly buying it or using it, but when it's available and they can afford it, they can go through about half a gram in a single day.

It is true that ketamine does not cause much if any withdrawal symptoms besides wanting to do it again, and again, and again... But that doesn't make it "not addictive". It simply makes it too much fun not to use. ;)

Edited by Toungy

Amphetamines (including meth) aren't physically addictive either. Ketamine is very addictive. I don't know from personal experience luckily, but I have a few friends that are "hooked" on it. They're not constantly buying it or using it, but when it's available and they can afford it, they can go through about half a gram in a single day.

It is true that ketamine does not cause much if any withdrawal symptoms besides wanting to do it again, and again, and again... But that doesn't make it "not addictive". It simply makes it too much fun not to use. :lol:

Half a gram in a day isn't really that much to be honest. ;) Line after line I suppose it would be though.

Edited by Toad

I agreed with him though.

And I thought the lethal rate was much higher than 12,000 micrograms.

I'm pretty sure a dosage of 200 µg/kg will send you into respiratory arrest.

And he said LSD, which I took to mean pure concentrated LSD in solution. Not whatever crap you buy off the street that's probably already half decayed- but drinking a jar of that would probably throw you over safe limits.

But I don't know why we're talking about this- the spirit of his post was that LSD is safe no matter what, which is entirely misleading. He says that "And you are correct the amount you must take to overdose is astronomical." Sure you have to take about 600 times the threshold level. But when you're talking of a threshold of 20 or 25 micrograms in sensitive people, you're talking about .012g of solid to overdose.

When people buy acid, it is almost always in blotter form.

Liquid LSD is extremely hard to find.

Or it is in my experience.

I agreed with him though.

And I thought the lethal rate was much higher than 12,000 micrograms.

I'm pretty sure a dosage of 200 µg/kg will send you into respiratory arrest.

And he said LSD, which I took to mean pure concentrated LSD in solution. Not whatever crap you buy off the street that's probably already half decayed- but drinking a jar of that would probably throw you over safe limits.

But I don't know why we're talking about this- the spirit of his post was that LSD is safe no matter what, which is entirely misleading. He says that "And you are correct the amount you must take to overdose is astronomical." Sure you have to take about 600 times the threshold level. But when you're talking of a threshold of 20 or 25 micrograms in sensitive people, you're talking about .012g of solid to overdose.

When people buy acid, it is almost always in blotter form.

Liquid LSD is extremely hard to find.

Or it is in my experience.

I get my blotters with Spongebob Squarepants stickers so its extra fun.

LSD is pretty easy to find where there are rich white kids with daddy issues. Drugs are aesy to find in the right circles

So it's about as addictive as marijuana? (According to some study somewhere it is about the same. In terms of dependency.)

Dependency =/= addiction.

It is not possible to become dependent (which is usually used to refer to physical dependence) on drugs like ketamine, marijuana, amphetamine, etc. Addiction is different.

Addiction, unlike physical dependence, is linked to hormone balances and 'peaks'. It is possible to become psychologically dependent on drugs like amphetamine and ketamine, but not drugs like marijuana. Which can be explained by their action.

One thing ketamine and amphetamine share is that they trigger the release of natural hormones. Amphetamine is a classic example of this, it blocks the re-uptake of the hormones dopamine, adrenaline, noradrenaline and serotonin, which causes them to be released from the synapse after the drug is inactivated, but also prevents them from being re-used by the receptor neuron. This leads the hormones to enter the bloodstream, where they quickly reach the liver and are metabolized by MAO-A/B. This also causes a 'dip' in the levels of hormones available in the receptor neurons, which leads to psychological dependence.

Ketamine does not cause lower levels of hormones if used (not even after it wears off). Instead, ketamine is addictive because of the extreme amounts of dopamine that are released through its action as a selective opiate receptor agonist. This is also the case for amphetamine, only that it does not act through the opiate system. The brain recognizes the higher levels of dopamine (which are usually remarkably higher than can be achieved without the use of drugs), and links it to good behavior that should be repeated. Hence, ketamine and amphetamine are also quickly recognized and linked to the higher levels of dopamine and the user becomes addicted.

This is also the reason that there is no 'down' after using ketamine. Hormone balances are quickly restored because the re-uptake of them is not inhibited. Physically, there is hardly any damage inflicted by ketamine. But, the brain will still link the high levels of dopamine to a new "peek" and will cause the user to simply, really feel like using the drug again. If used frequently, this can last for months, years or even an entire lifetime. After all, the only difference between ketamine's action on opiate receptor and heroin's (and other morphine-like substances), is that heroin also triggers the receptor for short-term addiction, which is not regulated by dopamine.

Marijuana, in contrast, does not release any of the brain's primary hormones. It mimics the endogenous hormone anandamine, which is a relatively unimportant hormone of which the action is not fully understood yet, but has a relation to the body's eating pattern, short-term memory and stress. The hormone is not linked to rewarding behavior, so the worst psychological dependence one can get from marijuana is a slightly disrupted eating pattern, slightly higher stress levels and temporarily less functional short-term memory.

PS: 'Amphetamine' refers to the range of amphetamine and amphetamine-like drugs, including amphetamine itself, methamphetamine, methylphenidate, cocaine and MDMA, amongst many others. 'Ketamine' also includes its analogues, the most commonly known one being PCP.

PPS: DXM is an NMDA-receptor antagonist like ketamine, but does not have much (or any) action at the opiate receptors, unlike ketamine.