Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
_life

Preventing The Development Of Individual Personalities

Well I've noticed that there are few debate topics that the majority of the community (being teenagers that is) can relate to on a personal level. So, I decided to change that ;) . Of course this topic can be also modified to suit adults instead of teenagers. Now, the topic, be sure to read all of it.

Basically, it's been argued that there are a large number of factors which come together and place great pressure on young people to conform and thus prevent the development of individual personalities in them. Do you agree with this statement? Either way, try and identify a number of these pressures and how they may or may not operate to make the development of individuality among young people, almost impossible.

Quite self-explanatory it is. Of course, this topic relates to the modern day and period. I'll give my opinion in a few...dinner awaits me first...

You cannot escape conformity; I go to Uni and I work, alas, I am a conformist. However, I do not choose to be, rather it's something I must do.

However, I wouldn't adopt the ideas and values of social norms in regards to personal beliefs and philosophy or trends because in that respect, I seek to be an individual.

I'm going to approach it from a social conformity aspect. I don't think what you're saying is true because every individual primarily has the choice of conformity socially. They affect their own personal development. Peer pressure? I don't believe the term. You ultimately have the choice to have your own opinions although the way you can voice them may often be restricted if it does not coincide with the law.

Peer pressure? I don't believe the term. You ultimately have the choice to have your own opinions although the way you can voice them may often be restricted if it does not coincide with the law.

I agree that kids/teens ultimately have the choice to do what they want and have their own views, but maybe kids/teens these days aren't exposed to enough things to have their own opinions and personality. A lot of teens these days are just a product of their environment.

I agree that kids/teens ultimately have the choice to do what they want and have their own views, but maybe kids/teens these days aren't exposed to enough things to have their own opinions and personality. A lot of teens these days are just a product of their environment.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Today's youth is exposed to more viewpoints and ideas than any generation before. It's called the internet. Most teenagers in America go on the internet, and whether they attempt to or not, will encounter ideas that are uncommon around them. I started using the internet a lot when I was twelve, and it was (and still is) fairly important to my intellectual development.

Guest Emanick

Today's youth is exposed to more viewpoints and ideas than any generation before. It's called the internet. Most teenagers in America go on the internet, and whether they attempt to or not, will encounter ideas that are uncommon around them. I started using the internet a lot when I was twelve, and it was (and still is) fairly important to my intellectual development.

I agree wholeheartedly. People today complain about how narrow-minded everyone is and how uncaring the world is, and how stuff is hard and everything blows and there's so much pressure on them. In reality things are easier (in places like Western Europe and North America, that is - obviously I wouldn't presume to describe the world as a whole this way) for us than ever before. Most respectable people who represent the "best" of their generation, say, two hundred years ago, would be appalled to learn of how much freedom we have in some regards. Obviously, that doesn't mean they're right, but it does make you think about how much right we have to complain about the "pressures" we suffer.

This world will never really be free while it lasts. If you want to do whatever the heck you want (which is probably pretty selfish of you some of the time), just be prepared to suffer some social stigma. It's better than being burned inside a torch by a Roman emperor or eaten alive by a Maori tribesman for being gay or something. (Trivia: That was the imagined punishment the founder of Australia, Captain Arthur Phillip, had for homosexual acts in the newborn Australian colony. He was actually a very humane man in most regards! Thankfully, the policy was never implemented.)

Individual personalities are, for the most part, possible to develop pretty thoroughly for most of us without suffering physical harm and more than moderate emotional discomfort. Be thankful.

Sorry for the terse and probably tactless post. I'm in a very poor mood and just trying to distract myself by posting in some intellectual form on Sals. I don't think it's working very well. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. People today complain about how narrow-minded everyone is and how uncaring the world is, and how stuff is hard and everything blows and there's so much pressure on them. In reality things are easier (in places like Western Europe and North America, that is - obviously I wouldn't presume to describe the world as a whole this way) for us than ever before. Most respectable people who represent the "best" of their generation, say, two hundred years ago, would be appalled to learn of how much freedom we have in some regards. Obviously, that doesn't mean they're right, but it does make you think about how much right we have to complain about the "pressures" we suffer.

This world will never really be free while it lasts. If you want to do whatever the heck you want (which is probably pretty selfish of you some of the time), just be prepared to suffer some social stigma. It's better than being burned inside a torch by a Roman emperor or eaten alive by a Maori tribesman for being gay or something. (Trivia: That was the imagined punishment the founder of Australia, Captain Arthur Phillip, had for homosexual acts in the newborn Australian colony. He was actually a very humane man in most regards! Thankfully, the policy was never implemented.)

Individual personalities are, for the most part, possible to develop pretty thoroughly for most of us without suffering physical harm and more than moderate emotional discomfort. Be thankful.

Sorry for the terse and probably tactless post. I'm in a very poor mood and just trying to distract myself by posting in some intellectual form on Sals. I don't think it's working very well. ;)

I worded my post wrong. Indeed, teens these days are exposed to more than ever before, but from my experience, most of them just fall in line with a certain group.

Emanick, having more freedom adds pressure to people, it doesn't take away from it. Most people hundreds of years ago would be overwhelmed of what we have today.

We are animals, and we are social animals. It's part of who we are to seek out strength in numbers, and in today's society it usually means we seek out those who are similar to us and excluding those who we think may get rid of that comfort.

I think that religious organizations have some effect, some more than others... ;)