Sign in to follow this  
Nitua

Should We Pay Students For Good Grades?

Paying students for good grades  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should we?

• Yes, it will benefit our educational system
    • No, it will do next to nothing to help our educational system

No, we should pay them to scrape bare minimal attendance and poor grades as aboriginals are in Australia.

In my opinion, no. But the other payments for things like to attendance to certain people need to stop.

either way, you are still working and you may not be creating an economic advantage for the capitalists but, you are still working for someone, yourself, you did the work, you get the money. simple as sushi.

But thats like saying because i worked really hard on a painting. Even though i don't intend on selling it someone should pay me because i did the work.

Sorry the world doesn't work like that and if it someday did then we might as well pull out the shotgun and *Use Shotgun with head.* because when that happens you know the worlds gonna start falling apart.

No, simply because it would create mass cheating. Since any hyperactive (or non-hyperactive) teen or kid would want money, but only 25% of students would get the money, what do the other 75% do?

To get the money, they need good grades. To get grades, they need answers. To get answers, they need to get smart or cheat. Since get smart isn't appealing to them (trust me), cheating would be the preferred option.

There was one time, in our English class, where the teacher gave out one solitary homework pass to everyone who got an A on the spelling/vocab test. I (and the teacher) noticed a pattern. A lot more people got As than usual (which by itself would not be so unusual, it would just prove that the method worked). However, it seems that the majority of people who sat next to a smart kid got the same answers as the smart kid (and each other). And that was for a homework pass. Imagine the chaos that would be created by $5 for an A.

Not to mention we're out of cash :eyebrows: And why should we pay students? They are getting a couple-of-thousand dollar education for free.

Edited by DaNoobPro1337

Not to mention we're out of cash And why should we pay students? They are getting a couple-of-thousand dollar education for free.

But as I've said not everyone is appreciative or in need of that education and therefore they are forced to waste valuable years of there life on a pointless poorly run schooling system which hasn't benefited them as of yet.

And paying students will make the school system more efficient? Couldn't that money be used on, say, better/more teachers? School supplies? The important stuff that actually runs the school?

Smart kids will always be smart, even if you don't pay them.

Average kids will just cram the night before a test and forget everything the next day.

Jocks will always be jocks, even if you pay them (which, as I said, would lead to epic lulz cheating).

Edited by DaNoobPro1337

No. Although we want money, it's a bad idea during recession for example. It's kinda bribing kids to do better, also its the law to go to school. You're basically paying people to do things they gotta do. If they get good grades, good for them they go to college or university :eyebrows: But giving them money well prob. get them into buying like video games and stuff and in the long run they well do poorly near the end.

Oh poop. Epic discussion. Let me add my input.

If I were to be paid for my grades I would be a rich man. I've never made below an A in all my 7 years on school. But my school doesn't even have enough money to buy new books.

There should be some benifit to having good grades, even if its not monatary. I agree with Cxslei, education just tells you to learn something to pass a test, instead of saying why it would be useful in the real world.

Some schools might tell you that if you learn this you can have a better future. Well, good for later us, but what about now? Society is getting more instant, and sick of looking to the future. If you tell kids that doing good now will help you later, they are going to roll their eyes and ignore what you said.

I remember something from one of those "inspirational" articles in school. Some scientists gave a marshmallow to 4 year olds, and said that they could either eat it now, or wait 20 minutes and get another one. The problem with that is that 20 minutes isnt that far away, and a tolerable waiting period. Now, 8 years isnt tolerable.

Im not saying that students should get paid for good grades, but we need something other than "Congratulations! Now you get to try to do the same thing with harder material next year!" Rewarding good work with harder work is a fools choice, because if someone dosent want to work, they get easier material and more rewards for doing ok.

Edited by ReM

Schools often have enough money troubles as is........where in the world is the money for this coming from?

The money comes AFTER, when your education has helped you land a nice job.

Edited by zellychan

Except as I've said probably 6 or 7 times, school doesn't help everyone find a good job. For some school is 10-12 years of listening to a teacher spewing pointless banter like it has been so far for me. So those "students" have literally lost hundreds of hours of there life. Now if someone were to inject you with a poison that shortened your lifespan by say 5-6 years would you not feel that person owes you some form of sompensation? Hell I'de be sueing the love-child for all he's worth so why is school any different?

Except as I've said probably 6 or 7 times, school doesn't help everyone find a good job. For some school is 10-12 years of listening to a teacher spewing pointless banter like it has been so far for me. So those "students" have literally lost hundreds of hours of there life. Now if someone were to inject you with a poison that shortened your lifespan by say 5-6 years would you not feel that person owes you some form of sompensation? Hell I'de be sueing the love-child for all he's worth so why is school any different?

School gives them the necessary tools, they just haven't used them right.

And what would you suggest instead? Some children have a job and lifestyle planned for them. I know a lot of country kids that missed school because they helped out on family farms.

In other places kids are sent to school so they will be off the streets and out of gangs.

And no, everyone can't get a great job. I hate the mentality that everyone has to go off to college. But get your GED at least. Maybe it's less about education and more about societal norms, but it does not look good on you if you can't get through high school.

And as to "poison and shortened lifespan"....come on. That's just a stupid argument. (Did you happen to know we spend years of our lifes at stoplights? Oh noes let's sue!) Your subjects may be boring as hell but guess what so might your job too. You live through the boredom because you get paid. And you live through school so you be ignorant and laughed it.

And no, everyone can't get a great job. I hate the mentality that everyone has to go off to college. But get your GED at least. Maybe it's less about education and more about societal norms, but it does not look good on you if you can't get through high school.

It doesn't look good but as I've said it's not necassary for all people and therefore those people have been forced to waste their lives (And my Tax dollars) on something thats pointless to them and is essentially a money blackhole for the government. I'de estimate if i didn't go to school past grade 8 (when it became redundant and pointless). The government could have saved themselves hundreds of dollars that could be spent on someone who actually needs/wants an education to get where they want to go in life rather then wasting it on the Okinawan Farmer who won't need any education past grade 6 social studies and a few tips from the old man down the road to succeed. But i was forced through school until i graduated and i've recieved nothing from it. I feel i should be compensated in some way but because the world looks at school as being a neccessary tool and a service from god (or something along those lines). I will never even get so much as an apology for all those wasted years.

And yes you waste years of you life at stoplights but stoplights are an actual benefit to every person in the world (who lives in a developed area) because it could save the life of anyone unlike school which only saves the lives of a moderate majority and only because society is too ignorant to look at it for what it is. A load of crap.

School gives them the necessary tools, they just haven't used them right.

No, unfortunately thats not the case in schools anymore. In most schools in developed countries, the curriculum is filled with things very very very few people will ever have to learn, Yet for some reason we learn it anyways. Why? theres alot of reasons 1 of which is because it makes you LOOK easily trainable when an employer sees you've gone through 3 years of useless mathematics and 4 years of learning whether to use a colin or a semi-colin but none of that will actually help you with the job your looking for it just looks pretty on paper and puts a blindfold over people by making them think because someone has a fancy sparkly diploma from a nice school that they are better suited for a job when infact thats completely false.

EDIT: What was this debate about again???

EDIT: What was this debate about again???

Haha, we did branch a bit. :eyebrows:*

Um, as to paying students for grades....as other people have said I see a problem with cheating. Although there are some benefits to good grades. My state offers Good Student Discounts on car insurance, which my parents loved. I'd be surprised if there weren't other things like this.

I think rewards should really come from the teachers. Money looks a bit suspicious, but things like parties or trips can be done.

I think rewards should really come from the teachers. Money looks a bit suspicious, but things like parties or trips can be done.

Or they could give me one of their special presents that i can only have when everyone else is gone and the teacher locks the door.

mj.jpg

A well written Motivational Speech to raise my self-esteem to promote overall well-being.

On a serious note i agree rewards should be given indirectly so as to prevent a student from learning a right here right now type of attitude.

EDIT: Was the MJ pic too soon?

Edited by Meidou

Why should be pay kids to do something they are already supposed to do.

If success in life isn't enough of an incentive then there is no hope.

Well, if you get good enough grades, it means you'll get a better superior education and almost certainly a better job than usual, with obviously a higher wage... Isn't that enough motivation? Paying people for grades, unless it's a scholarship, looks pretty stupid to me.

I'm more worried that a lot of kids will use the money to do drugs and satisfy their fantasies. When they decide to run away they'd have money for it. Money in the hands of a teen isn't a always good.

I'm more worried that a lot of kids will use the money to do drugs and satisfy their fantasies. When they decide to run away they'd have money for it. Money in the hands of a teen isn't a always good.

Is generalizing fair?

So teenagers shouldn't be allowed to have money? Should we also raise the minimum age to have a job to 21? I'm sure if I student was getting payed for grades, it wouldn't be enough to survive for long if they ran away.

Isnt education supposed to benefit the students that are receiving it?

This does not make much sence based on the schools today. First many schools are not free, they cost money. How do you think that it would make sence for a parent to pay money, the school receives it, and the they give some of it back to a student for getting good grades?

Also how can the public school system support this? It doesnt make sence that while you are getting a free education from the govt. you also should get payed for getting good grades. The poster of this topic and many others do not understand that schools are meant to help a person later in life to get a better job and have a better understanding of culture, technology, life, religion, ect.

In public schools this can be taken as an unpaid internship, in tuition-based schools this can be compared to a lesson of some sort. It should be kept this way due to the fact in a paid internship you are getting paid to contribute to the organisation/company that you are getting "lessons" from.

Bascially I feel that you should not get paid to do good in school you should just do good due to the fact that it is for your own benefit.

The goverment pays tons of money so that kids can go to school and your not greatful for it? instead you ask for more cash? How does that kind of logic suppose to work?

Is generalizing fair?

You know to be honest, I think my entire high school class would have done something similar. (Except for the running away bit, that's just stupid). It's strange, the smartest, most successful kids can have the craziest night life. If they had paid me for the grades I got in High School, I would have spent it on drugs, cigarettes and alcohol. And many of my classmates would have done similar.

But this kind of system only stokes class-warfare. The "smart" kids become the rich, and the not so "smart" kids are left without power. Thus, feelings of rage and ressentiment are bound to flare up.

And we should also note, just because someone is getting good grades, does mean they are getting a good education. I've seen straight A kids with about as much intelligence as a melon.