Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cold Karnage

Problems With Ram

I'm really not too computer smart, but I had bought 4 gigs of RAM for my computer at Newegg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145184 ) thinking that all RAM fitted with any motherboard. Well, when I tried installing it, I noticed that my old RAM didn't match up with the new. I used crucial.com's memory scanner, but it didn't come up with any suggestions. All I want is either 2 or 4 gigs of RAM (in total) for my computer.

memory2.png

For some reason, it didn't detect my 512mb stick of RAM...

I used another memory scanner so you could see what I had in and stuff.

memoryt.png

If you could find any RAM that's being sold (I don't care where it's from), please link it here. I have a huge headache from wasting two weeks in hopes of actually being able to play games on this computer, but then I get stuck with something that doesn't even fit in the motherboard. Thanks.

Edited by Cold Karnage

According to the scan results you posted, you need DRR PC3200 RAM. You bought DDR2 RAM, which is why it didn't work.

Something like this should work with your computer I think. But bear in mind that DDR RAM is more expensive than the more standard DRR2 as there's less of it available.

I don't think you can get 2GB sticks of DDR, so as you only have 2 memory slots, you will only be able to fit 2GB of RAM (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen them available).

Edited by Cattius

If your operating system is only '32 it' like Windows XP, you do not need 4gb of RAM as it onlyr recognises upto 3.00gb of RAM.

Also, try buy the same type of RAM. You will get better results if you buy 2 DDR 256mb RAM sticks, then one DDR 256 and a DDR 512.

If your operating system is only '32 bit' like Windows XP, you do not need 4gb of RAM as it onlyr recognises upto 3.00gb of RAM.

Also, try buy the same type of RAM. You will get better results if you buy 2 DDR 256mb RAM sticks, then one DDR 256 and a DDR 512.

I'm pretty sure it can actually recognise just under 4GB. However, this amount INCLUDES the video memory on your graphics card, so if you have, say, 1 graphics card with 1GB of video memory, your system will recognise just under 3GB of your RAM. This is why 64bit is becoming so much more popular, as 32bit really limits your RAM options.

Oh and Windows XP is available in 64bit versions, like Vista and 7 after it. However, the drivers were seriously dodgy.