Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Common Sense

New Improved Game Guide Released!

Today we have released a beta version of our new Knowledge Base system, packed with hints+tips about the game and answers to your gameplay and technical questions. With over 150,000 words, hundreds of pages and thousands of images, there's lots of information to improve your RuneScape experience.

The aim of this update is to provide better support for our players, so that if you're stuck or just need some friendly advice, you can quickly get the help you need rather than asking Customer Support or hoping someone is talking about it on the forums. The Knowledge Base includes:

Statistics for armour and weapons

Quest rewards fully detailed.

XP gains listed for many activities, to help you decide the best levelling strategy.

Tips and tricks on how to train.

Hints on successfully completing minigames.

Location and transportation guides.

Basic and advanced sections for every skill.

In-depth FAQ documents.

Detailed guidelines regarding customer support, rules, forum use, reporting abuse, bans and safety and security documents.

Scamming prevention guides.

Website, billing and technical support.

Special Knowledge Base news.

Lists of the most popular articles.

... Plus all the normal "how to start playing" guides.

The RuneScape Knowledge Base also has a search function to help players find the information they want at the touch of a button.

Important Information

This is a BETA launch so that we can get your ideas and suggestions to make the Knowledge Base a better tool. It is, after all, designed to help you, so we want to know if it does!

Whilst it's packed full of info, it's very much a work in progress at the moment. We know some bits of it aren't perfect (yet), and there is still lots more we want to add, and further improvements are planned over the next few weeks. But we thought we'd let you see what we've been working on and have produced so far.

Your feedback is important to us. If you wish to discuss any of the features in the Knowledge Base, we have provided a specific forum for members to discuss the content of the pages and even on the way it is presented. If you find any bugs or mistakes in the Knowledge base, please use the category provided in our bug reporting page and be as clear as possible with your feedback or report, so we can make it a super accurate source of info.

Please remember, some articles contain suggestions and opinions on how to play the game. Your views may differ from the authors' views. Please feel free to discuss this on the forum, but do not submit it as a bug. Opinions are only opinions.

So, if you need illumination about where to find candles, seek enlightenment about the prayer skill, want to hook up with more detailed fishing information or even get technical with technical support, the KB is the place to be!

We hope you find the KB useful, and that it makes your experience in RuneScape a better one.

Visit the Knowledge Base today!

-Common Sense

First post! Wooooot!!! I'm sooooo 1337!! :tongue:

Some of these new manuals are really good! Maybe it'll render fan sites obselete... :xd:

Sounds cool, I was hoping for a game update though...

~Mole

Some of these new manuals are really good! Maybe it'll render fan sites obselete... :tongue:

With me around Jagex will never abolish fansites :P

Well, maybe this will be bad for some things, but Jagex will never release detailed Quest Guides (or I don't think they will anyway).

Hopefully the 100th Quest will be released tomorrow :xd:

Their maps are amazingly good. I'm really surprised by the quality of their guides....I think this will be quite helpful to newer players who feel lost when starting RuneScape.

-Common Sense

great update, i guess JaGex finally realised players had to go to other sites for proper information- these guides are very detailed and look great! :tongue:

Wow, I finally checked out the guides, the maps are detailed and they show depth a little bit! This is a lot better update than I thought at first!

~Mole

This is a pretty decent update. It'll help new players fresh out of the Tutorial Island find places to go and things to do besides bumming around Lumbridge and the smelly goblins for their first week or so. :tongue:

After looking at it for a while this is my conclusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall this isn't great in my opinion and there are several reasons for this.

1. The maps are not consistent. In some the way the ground rises/lowers is inverted, in others it is like normal. Also the font for the labeling is different for each map. The thing I like least about them is that they are ugly. The zoom on the maps varies. In some they are taken at 100% zoom, while others are a long way out.

2. Some of the images are fuzzy. After making guides for several months now I have learnt that if you save images as JPEG's then the quality will be fuzzy, however numerous images in the KB are JPEG's. Some are GIF's and aren't fuzzy. Why not all?

3. The consistency of detail in the guides varies. In some it explains how to do something in very high detail, however in others it just seems to be a piece of work that took no more than 5 minutes.

4. There are too many sub-menus. I tried to look for information about Shark by going from teh Misc Guides section and whenever I finally thought I was getting somewhere another sub-menu appeared.

5. The search feature doesn't work greatly. I searched for "Quests" seeing that there is a whole section about them, yet a link to that page was nowhere in view.

There are more, but these are the first problems I noticed when looking at it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have also posted this on the Official RS Forums. If you want to know where to find the thread it can be found on the Official RS Forums in the "Knowledge Base Feedback" section. The thread is called "Consistency Needs Improving ".

After looking at it for a while this is my conclusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall this isn't great in my opinion and there are several reasons for this.

1. The maps are not consistent. In some the way the ground rises/lowers is inverted, in others it is like normal. Also the font for the labeling is different for each map. The thing I like least about them is that they are ugly. The zoom on the maps varies. In some they are taken at 100% zoom, while others are a long way out.

2. Some of the images are fuzzy. After making guides for several months now I have learnt that if you save images as JPEG's then the quality will be fuzzy, however numerous images in the KB are JPEG's. Some are GIF's and aren't fuzzy. Why not all?

3. The consistency of detail in the guides varies. In some it explains how to do something in very high detail, however in others it just seems to be a piece of work that took no more than 5 minutes.

4. There are too many sub-menus. I tried to look for information about Shark by going from teh Misc Guides section and whenever I finally thought I was getting somewhere another sub-menu appeared.

5. The search feature doesn't work greatly. I searched for "Quests" seeing that there is a whole section about them, yet a link to that page was nowhere in view.

There are more, but these are the first problems I noticed when looking at it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have also posted this on the Official RS Forums. If you want to know where to find the thread it can be found on the Official RS Forums in the "Knowledge Base Feedback" section. The thread is called "Consistency Needs Improving ".

yeah i did notice that, they have made their own maps, while others are just snapshots :tongue:

... SWEEET! the guides are so handy now no longer looking up google for how much magic spells xp gives ect. but surely this is gona kill every guide on sal's?

... SWEEET! the guides are so handy now no longer looking up google for how much magic spells xp gives ect. but surely this is gona kill every guide on sal's?

No it wont, as they dont have all the smaller guides that Sal's has. Also they dont have detailed quest guides like Sal's. So no, it wont kill every guide!

~Mole

Phew, late post- I pmed three admins/mods to post this, nobody did it. :tongue:

Anyways, I think it's pretty nice. It's helpfull for the new ones on Runescape, and the new ones on membership.

Hmm I was looking at the section about player mods, it seems JaGex has opened up a bit about how the whole process of choosing player mods is gone about. Anyway I was reading this and I read:

We keep track of potential Player Moderators through a variety of methods.

We review their behaviour in the forums, the number and quality of abuse reports sent in, how useful and friendly they have been to other players and any messages sent into us from other players about their behaviour in the game.

So reading this I have now learnt that you can actually recommend someone to be a player moderator, if you think they are doing a good job.....(thats new) Anyway I read further on:

We do not accept recommendations from players for possible Player Moderators

So I was wondering is this a mistake in the guide or can you actually recommend someone to be a player mod? This may confuse new players if this is found to be untrue. :tongue:

I was looking at the guide and i noticed a mistake...

In the quests section in says Black Knights fortress (members)

Though in the actual guide itself it says it isn't and it isnt on rs

Was it just me that noticed this? :tongue:

Just checked it out. It has everything ! I could spend hours reading it all. Cant wait to check it out again :tongue:

Aww. This is pretty disapointing. I was hoping for a game update, but whatcha gonna' do? The knowledge base looks like it has a ton in it. I'll have to check it out.

Well, it seems cool, but I dislike how there are tons of sub menus to choose from, it makes it hard to find stuff easily. And the search engine doesn't seem to work well, but overall it's a decent update. :closedeyes:

It just makes me wonder... if they've put this much effort into a database type thing, do they have some kind of motive (besides helping the new members). They've expressed their dislike in fansites before by putting warnings about them in their past news and in their manual, and it just seems like they're trying to shut us down. :santa:

Sal, i am Agent F of RSCB and i feel horrible about this updated manual. Many months ago, Jagex talked about making some rs help sites into official help sites. Then jagex adds a manual to the site. Then a big hit, the official forum. Now this massive update to the manual. They are killing us. It really hurts.

P.S. I am not here to advertise RSCB, i'm just posting my sad sad thoughts. Sal does have a great website.

edit: something needs to be done so we have a chance to exist. we are fighting from extinction. we are fighting to survive.

Edited by Agent F

Remind everyone here... This is only a beta. They're going to improve their guides and maps, so this is only for testing.

I like how they show you the stats of the items. :closedeyes: