Sal's RuneScape Forum
Rene

General Anime / Manga Discussion Thread

it's sad that this thread turned into the nice doggy! about bleach/naruto thread

all i do with anime/manga anymore is read bleach weekly because i cant stop ;_;

I'm after some shorter shows to watch. <100 episodes, 30-70 is preferable. Currently watching Shingeki no Kyojin as it's released and about to start Samurai Champloo.

I'd specify genres but I tend to be hit or miss from show to show, genre has little to do with it. For an idea of some of what I've seen and enjoyed, off the top of my head there's...

• Naruto/Shippuden
  • One Piece (up to timeskip)
  • DB/Z/Kai
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Evangelion + Remakes
  • FMA Brotherhood (is A+)
  • Death Note
  • Monster
  • Hellsing OVAs
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Ao no Exorcist
  • Soul Eater
  • Fractale

I've been meaning to watch Another, Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online. Any ideas on what to watch first/next?

Oh, and I tried to watch Baccano! but it did that thing they do in anime, where dialogue is goes like this:

"Oh look, isn't that <person>?"

"<Person>!? Aren't they <person's life story>, <question>?"

"<Responds to question, KEY WORD>"

"<KEY WORD?> <explains everything about key word>."

and that's like 50% of the episode over. I just couldn't.

I think it was Baccano, anyway :P

Edited by Dad

it's sad that this thread turned into the nice doggy! about bleach/naruto thread

Well, when 2 major mangas are coming to a close, of course it'd be major discussion.

Anyone here read Ratman? Because holy shizzle was ch. 50 a plot twist.

I'm after some shorter shows to watch. <100 episodes, 30-70 is preferable. Currently watching Shingeki no Kyojin as it's released and about to start Samurai Champloo.

I'd specify genres but I tend to be hit or miss from show to show, genre has little to do with it. For an idea of some of what I've seen and enjoyed, off the top of my head there's...

• Naruto/Shippuden
  • DB/Z/Kai
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Evangelion + Remakes
  • Death Note
  • Monster
  • Hellsing OVAs
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Ao no Exorcist
  • Soul Eater
  • Fractale

I've been meaning to watch Another, Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online. Any ideas on what to watch first/next?

Oh, and I tried to watch Baccano! but it did that thing they do in anime, where dialogue is goes like this:

If you liked mind fudges like Evangelion, I'd suggest Darker Than Black. It's pretty action-y and very plot driven. If you want to go for more weirdish visuals/mindfudge/less action, I'd suggest The Tatami Galaxy. The rest of the list looks like standard shounen stuff so I'd suggest Phantom of Inferno and Code Geass.

Also Another is really good - very enjoyable 12 episode horror/mystery anime. I highly recommend.

Well, when 2 major mangas are coming to a close, of course it'd be major discussion.

I think you guys are all just masochists/tsunderes or something.

Edited by Ramon

Yeah it is pretty standard but you can't go too wrong shounen. :P Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't even heard of Phantom of Inferno, but it looks interesting, and I think I've had Darker Than Black stashed away on a harddrive a friend gave me since I last went through a no-anime phase, so I should try dig that up. :D

That reminds me of another show he suggested, Ghost in the Shell. Can anyone vouch for that? :P

Edited by Dad

Yeah it is pretty standard but you can't go too wrong shounen. :P Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't even heard of Phantom of Inferno, but it looks interesting, and I think I've had Darker Than Black stashed away on a harddrive a friend gave me since I last went through a no-anime phase, so I should try dig that up. :D

That reminds me of another show he suggested, Ghost in the Shell. Can anyone vouch for that? :P

You might also like Fate/Zero. I just recently started it myself and it's very interesting. It's a lot like Mirai Nikki.

• Naruto/Shippuden
  • DB/Z/Kai
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Evangelion + Remakes
  • Death Note
  • Monster
  • Hellsing OVAs
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Ao no Exorcist
  • Soul Eater
  • Fractale

If you liked mind fudges like Evangelion, I'd suggest Darker Than Black. It's pretty action-y and very plot driven. If you want to go for more weirdish visuals/mindfudge/less action, I'd suggest The Tatami Galaxy. The rest of the list looks like standard shounen stuff so I'd suggest Phantom of Inferno and Code Geass.

Also Another is really good - very enjoyable 12 episode horror/mystery anime. I highly recommend.

I think you guys are all just masochists/tsunderes or something.

Well, I don't really throw out any manga's that I've been currently reading, but sure, let's do a change up.

Lately I've been reading a bunch of school life mangas. My favorites so far have to be Hells Kitchen and Shokugeki no Soma. Cooking mangas, mmmmm... Hells Kitchen is a manga about a kid who gets selected by the Earl of Poor Eating (a devil) to become his next meal. The earl is interested in eating the souls of chefs, but wants to eat the soul of a rising and fresh chef. So he decides to force a kid through a cooking academy and teach him that any type of food can be cooked to perfection, even if its garbage or waste (i.e. One dish he makes is potato skins and the water the potatoes boiled in [a broth, if you will]).

Shokugeki no Soma is about a kid who's father runs a special-of-the-day shop, but in reality, his father is a world class chef. The kid wants to surpass his father, so his father challenges him to attend a cooking academy in which only the elite will succeed. Being a special-of-the-day shop, this kid has no way in hell to succeed in an academy aimed at chefs destined for good. However, with the limitless potential of his father teaching him there is no limits to cook and that essentially, anything put together can make a dish, the kid enrolls in the academy only hoping to surpass his own style of cooking, as well as learn new things.

Aside from that, a good series that just finished was Kurogane. It's a manga about a weak/geeky guy who's dream is to be a hero, and then one night, the spirit of a swordswoman appears before him exclaiming he is to adopt her style of the sword. Stating he does not have the physique to do sword-play, the woman spirit posses him and he swings a sword for the first time. The kid then decides to join the school's infamous kendo team, who had potential to win the kendo championships last year, but all the members left before the tournament began.

Another interesting manga, and the one I most realte to is Denpa Kyoushi: a manga about a genius otaku who only does what he wants to do (a disease, as he calls it) and will stick through it to the end. He is then recruited to teach at a branch of a school where the principal is interested in finding the interesting people in Japan via the students. The otaku finds this as a challenge as he wants to unlock everyone's potential and help them achieving what they want to truly achieve.

And then we have the Korean mangas... Some of which are really good. Tower of God is my favorite all-time manga, and its currently in its second season (second arc). Its a story about a tower in which people seek to climb in the promise of anything they desire. This kid's desire: To find his friend in the tower and climb it with her so they can see the sky (apparently, everyone lives in the tower, however, this kid we only know he lived underground somewhere, and not entirely positive if this is outside the tower). Lots of plot twists and interesting characters. The second season started off weird as they introduced more main characters, but the main protagonist shortly returns and the story only gets better. Another manga would be King of High School, which is action-packed and funny. long story short, there's a tournament to decide who's the strongest in South Korea at the age of high schoolers. The winner is promised a granted wish, The main protagonist fully believes he's the strongest in the world, so natural he decides to fight in the tournament King of High School. his wish is to find his grandpa who went missing for no reason. Then there's Girl the Wild's. A guy gets transfered to an all girls school where there is a fighting tournament held because the school has some of the toughest girls in the country.

There. That's what I've been reading lately. I hope someone here has read some of these.

Just started watching Attack on Titan, love the OST and the visuals and story. It's so compelling.

May have to pick up the manga as well though, heard anime censors a lot.

Just started watching Attack on Titan, love the OST and the visuals and story. It's so compelling.

I've been watching AoT as well, it's really good. The artwork is among my favorites out of any anime I've watched.

So next month will be the final Soul Eater chapter. Gotta say, I'm gonna miss this series. But the author is doing a spin-off series Soul Eater NOT! which is under the premise of a weapon having two meisters, and yet again, another witch has infiltrated the school.

Darker Than Black was alright. Nothing special, although some people go crazy over it.

If you read the manga you will have no motivation to watch the anime. That's what happened to me, at least.

This is one of the best amvs I have watched in my life...somewhat graphic so be warned.

Yeah once I start reading the mangas my motivation and enjoyment of animes drops heavily except for fast battle scenes

So I've discovered that The World God Only Knows is just as amazing in both anime or manga form. Been watching the anime. But the manga is great too.

Everything about Naruto just keeps getting stranger.

Beelzebub

I feel like that one chick who is in love with Himekawa is going to show up anytime now, and explain what Himekawa is doing. Also, Himekawa said he severed the link between Oga and Beel, but why did Beel just disappear?

Beelzebub

I feel like that one chick who is in love with Himekawa is going to show up anytime now, and explain what Himekawa is doing. Also, Himekawa said he severed the link between Oga and Beel, but why did Beel just disappear?

Well, we already know that Himekawa has the missing number in Oga's Crest line. Himekawa already told Oga that he was infiltrating them to get info (though he said he was joking to the enemy, his personality dictates he would do that sort of thing. Besides, Oga trusts him). Probably, Himekawa has already found a way to defeat them, but he's just waiting for the chance and for Oga to realize something.

GO LICENSELESS RIDER GO!

Beelzebub

Well, we already know that Himekawa has the missing number in Oga's Crest line. Himekawa already told Oga that he was infiltrating them to get info (though he said he was joking to the enemy, his personality dictates he would do that sort of thing. Besides, Oga trusts him). Probably, Himekawa has already found a way to defeat them, but he's just waiting for the chance and for Oga to realize something.

GO LICENSELESS RIDER GO!

I'd prefer if #3 wasn't Himekawa and was actually Natsume or Miki.

Edited by Sand Nagger

Beelzebub

GO LICENSELESS RIDER GO!

licenseless rider is my hero :crying:

Beelzebub

GO LICENSELESS RIDER GO!

licenseless rider is my hero :crying:

He's everyone's hero. Dammit, he's S rank in my books for the courage he has.

I've watched attack on titan, soo good. How does the manga stack up to it? I read that they are different. Like, a lot.

And I've caught up on D. Gray-man. Can't wait to read it again once author feels better.

Any suggestions for manga similar to the above two?

I personally think you shouldn't read the manga until the anime stops airing for a while - the chapters come out monthly.

The anime has a lot of filler, and I think the start of Shingeki no kyojin is better portrayed in the anime.

Got bored last night so rewatched some of Code Geass. People who compare that shizzle to Death Note are totally off the mark

Deadman Wonderland is over. No final aftermath scene of the final battle. I am disappoint.

They do show that Ganta and Shiro have tremendous amounts of wounds and its understood that their sin/key were removed. They play it off the fact that Shiro needed the key to live, so as long as Ganta lived through the battle, so would Shiro. And that's how it ends. Shiro wakes up in a hospital smiling.

I've made a crazy discovery: subtitles suck and should be avoided if the dub is passable.