Sal's RuneScape Forum
Rene

General Anime / Manga Discussion Thread

I no One Piece, but i do Naruto, and a couple of other comments.

Naruto

I absolutely love the direction it's in, I'm extremely happy with how Naruto and Sasuke have been "brothers" the whole time, albeit the fact dormantly.

A certain visual Novel.

I recently played most of Katawa Shoujo's endings. I dont know how many of you have. but if you haven't(and are over 18, as a couple things come up, but they can be turned off, which i did do, because i simply wanted a feels trip. which i did get), I highly suggest it. I became emotionally invested in almost every outplay. and I can't wait for the next path i go down, I read it's interesting. if some of you feel that I shan't discuss such a great masterwork here, I'll understand and take it else where.

Bleach

meh. I'm extremely bored. I stopped being too interested after the fullbring closing.

Attack on Titan

same as above, except after Annie was captured. I like the super action stuff, and also the super feelsy romance girly stuff. Neither of which this has anymore.

^Katawa Shoujo is bundles of fun and feels. However, I understand why (though don't support) why a lot of people hate on it. Quite frankly, some anime communities are stuffed with elitists, and it bothers them that such a Western visual novel is acclaimed by those who've never played a "real" one before. Having read some others, there are some justifications as to why some would refer to it as all "weaboo" and such, but the bigotry is cumbersome nonetheless.

Perhaps I'm biased in the fact that, as with many, it's the first one I've read, but I believe it to be well above average. Amidst the low-quality aspects such as inconsistent graphical design and lack of voice acting, the story fulfills what a VN should focus upon. Also, the music is outstanding.

Naturally, there's manifold Japanese ones of similar merit. If you prefer VNs to anime, all of Key's are generally good (Clannad, Little Busters, Rewrite). Another one of the typical layout is Hoshizora no Memoria, which I didn't find amazing, but meets standard expectations. And bear in mind that some games focus on the H-scenes to different degrees; I just today finished Wanko to Kurasou, and the sex-every-two-minutes feature was a bit repetitious. -.-

hanabro support

Edited by Guitarguy

Really? It gets a lot of hate? I'd never really expected that. I'm attempting Rin right now. I've managed to go through the other paths quite well, failed once in the shizune path, and failed once in Emi path. first one i went was Kenji. Complete accident though. I think Lilly and Hanako are my favorite two, I'ts a tie though.

Hanabro's unite

Edited by Seaconmorae

Well, it depends on the community. For example, I find /a/ notorious for their need for superiority. They tend to reject or at least isolate all KS discussion, which is ironic considering the fact that they're the ones who started making the game. For that reason, /a/ hyped it up years before its release and had plenty of fun discussing it amongst themselves, but it disseminated into the mainstream after the first few months, which meant that they were obligated to suddenly hate it.

I'm being quite critical. I apologize if anyone here frequents /a/. -.-

I frequent the dark side if the boards, /b/, though im just a casual. I'm not like the nutcases who crack me up. but all the positive feedback in the KS posts probably help to sway my mind. though this is my first VN. dont know where to start after this. If you've read many, mind giving me a top 5 favorites of yours?

I haven't read too many so my feedback might not be the best, but to give five in no particular order:

1.Katawa Shoujo

2.Rewrite

3.My Girlfriend is the President

4.Lonely Yuri

5.Analogue: A Hate Story

This is a relatively diverse selection. If you're looking for the standard setup as Katawa Shoujo has, that is, several heroines and some choices that influence whose route you take, #2 and #3 would be good choices. They also have great soundtracks.

I'm not really sure why I enjoyed #4, but I did. As the name suggests, it's deliberately sexualized, but it isn't actually explicit enough to be technically 18+. Anyway, it only takes a few hours to finish, so it's not a huge investment like others are.

#5 is Korean (sort of), and unlike the others, isn't exactly pirate-able. It's available on Steam for a fairly low price. By the fact that it's a Steam game, I suppose, it's more interactive than simply constant reading, and gives the player plenty of freedom.

The best source of information for pretty much everything is vndb.org. It tells how long a VN is, provides in-game images, has tons of incredibly specific tags, and much more.

I no One Piece, but i do Naruto, and a couple of other comments.

Naruto

I absolutely love the direction it's in, I'm extremely happy with how Naruto and Sasuke have been "brothers" the whole time, albeit the fact dormantly.

Bleach

meh. I'm extremely bored. I stopped being too interested after the fullbring closing.

Attack on Titan

same as above, except after Annie was captured. I like the super action stuff, and also the super feelsy romance girly stuff. Neither of which this has anymore.

Naruto

I feel like I'm kind of the opposite on you on this. It's just whoever can somehow acquire the most powerups, but I am interested in if it was the tree talking to Madara or if it was Kaguya, since the silhouette resembled her.

Bleach

The arc is still in build up phase, and there's a long way to go. I think last I remember there were 13 unrevealed epithets for the stern ritter. I really like Kenpachi's what I assume to be shikai.

Attack on Titan

I predict all of the politicing will come to an end pretty shortly. Lots of shizzle is about to go down, with Eren and Historia being captured by what I assume to be is Levi's dad. There's also the possibility that Mikasa is also a relative since they share a family namme.

Edited by Sand Nagger

Naruto

I feel like I'm kind of the opposite on you on this. It's just whoever can somehow acquire the most powerups, but I am interested in if it was the tree talking to Madara or if it was Kaguya, since the silhouette resembled her.

Bleach

The arc is still in build up phase, and there's a long way to go. I think last I remember there were 13 unrevealed epithets for the stern ritter. I really like Kenpachi's what I assume to be shikai.

Attack on Titan

I predict all of the politicing will come to an end pretty shortly. Lots of shizzle is about to go down, with Eren and Historia being captured by what I assume to be is Levi's dad. There's also the possibility that Mikasa is also a relative since they share a family namme.

Naruto

I guess I like it so much because I don't see it as your usual "I got knocked down, but I'll come back better than ever! Believe it!" Naruto episode. I think the tree IS Kayuga.

Bleach

Makes sense I guess. I'll have to grin and bare and have faith in the (mangaka? That's the term for the writer isn't?).

Attack on Titan

I just read the newest chapter. I quite liked. Gave it some direction. I'm now interested. Anti-human 3d gear? Interesting.

All of you need to watch Sword Art Online.

Sword Art Online was pretty swell. From what I've heard, however, they really rushed the series in comparison with the light novels, and that was quite evident in the story line. At times, they'd so randomly jump from one thing to another that I had wondered whether I skipped an episode. Perhaps it would have been better if they made it into two seasons, each with ~26 episodes; there was already an eminent split between the two halves of the series.

Edited by Guitarguy

Who watches Kuroror Kuro No Basketball

I haven't watched it, but I've read a little bit of the manga. I thought it was pretty good.

All of you need to watch Sword Art Online.

The second season never happened.

Edited by Sand Nagger

Friends talk about anime.

They read like Attack on Titan or something as well. There were a few. One friends reads some boxing manga with 1000+ chapters.

Hajime no Ippo is the boxing one. From what I've heard, it's probably okay, but I would never dedicate myself to something that long while there's so many other things on my backlist.

Friends talk about anime.

They read like Attack on Titan or something as well. There were a few. One friends reads some boxing manga with 1000+ chapters.

Attack on Titan is pretty good. Haven't tried Ippo yet.

Ippo is really good, just dragged out.

Been reading a lot of sports mangas: Koroko no Basket, Hakiyuu!, and Eye Shield 21. I just finished ES21, and that manga is worth the read. Hakiyuu! is about a short kid playing volleyball in hopes of becoming the next Smallest Ace in Japan. Really entertaining and well paced.

After being told I should read it constantly since September I finally picked up Berserk. Was holding off on because of the inconsistent release schedule, but I caved. I regret not starting it sooner, because this is really good. Currently reading Volume 16.

I just started Fate/Zero. I like it quite a lot so far. I'll probably try Berserk after Fate/Zero, it's one I've thought about trying.

Edit:

I finished SAO awhile back, just thought I'd comment on it. I didn't pay much mind to the whole "I love you but you're my cousin!" thing, but my friend was super distracted by it. Don't know why. Thoughts?

I recently rewatched Attack on Titan. There are so many small, hidden things you think nothing of unless you have prior knowledge like

Like when Bertholdt gets caught by Annie when she first appears, and somehow tells her where Eden is, after hearing Armin's thoughts. And the looks that Bertholdt and Reiner give Eren when things are said(no things in particular.

Edited by Seaconmorae

I just started Fate/Zero. I like it quite a lot so far. I'll probably try Berserk after Fate/Zero, it's one I've thought about trying.

Edit:

I finished SAO awhile back, just thought I'd comment on it. I didn't pay much mind to the whole "I love you but you're my cousin!" thing, but my friend was super distracted by it. Don't know why. Thoughts?

I recently rewatched Attack on Titan. There are so many small, hidden things you think nothing of unless you have prior knowledge like

Like when Bertholdt gets caught by Annie when she first appears, and somehow tells her where Eden is, after hearing Armin's thoughts. And the looks that Bertholdt and Reiner give Eren when things are said(no things in particular.

The whole incest this was entirely unnecessary, and that combined with the fact that the fairy game was nowhere near as interesting as SAO was made me dislike the entire second part.

Attack on Titan

The most interesting thing about all of that to me is the conversation between Reiner and Annie about being a soldier.

Read quite a bit of stuff recently, but the stuff that stands out other than Berserk that I'd recommend for people to read is:

Claymore - Pretty close to berserk in how gory it is, and the story is really good

Shokugeki no Souma - Suprisingly really good for a cooking manga

Akame ga Kill - Manga about a corrupt government

One Punch Man - Story is from a webcomic, and the art is superb

The Breaker and its sequel New Waves - Korean Manhwa about martial arts.

Noblesse - Korean webcomic about vampires. Pretty cool

Air Gear - I liked it a lot until it deviated from cool rollerblading into generic battles with rollerblades on their feet

For stuff that's not as action packed that I've read recently and recommend:

Nisekoi - Didn't really think I'd like it, but the premise behind it all was funny so I tried it. Has some of

the funniest faces

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches - Witches are in a school and they get into hijinks with a guy named Yamada. Pretty funny

Kimi no iru Machi - I can't remember what made me start this, but it was a wild ride and even if it's not really my genre I still enjoyed it when it didn't make me angry.

Bikerbro was a bro til the end RIP Kazama

Edited by Sand Nagger

So the animes I've finished are

Sword Art Online

Death Note

Kaiji

Rurouni Kenshin

Clannad

I liked the whole 'work out how it's happening' elements in Kaiji and Death Note and liked the video game element in SAO. Any recommendations? I heard Log Horizon was good if Iiked SAO

Sword Art Online

Death Note

Kaiji

Rurouni Kenshin

Clannad

I liked the whole 'work out how it's happening' elements in Kaiji and Death Note and liked the video game element in SAO. Any recommendations? I heard Log Horizon was good if Iiked SAO

Persona 4

Kimi no iru Machi - I can't remember what made me start this, but it was a wild ride and even if it's not really my genre I still enjoyed it when it didn't make me angry.

Bikerbro was a bro til the end RIP Kazama

The feels in that manga are real. Nisekoi on the other hand just needs to end the stupid side stories. Its starting to get annoying when the main plot is decent but there is a ton of filler crap.

So I started watching/reading No Game No Life. I think I found my new favorite. I NEED MORE EPISODES :L

@LateChapter- if you liked Sword Art Online, you may like No Game No Life.

Sword Art Online

Death Note

Kaiji

Rurouni Kenshin

Clannad

I can't recommend any similar anime, but the manga Liar Game is the best of the psychological genre. I've also heard that Gosick is good for similar reasons, but I can't corroborate it.

Sword Art Online

Death Note

Kaiji

Rurouni Kenshin

Clannad

Persona 4

Would you recommend Persona 3 then too?

So I started watching/reading No Game No Life. I think I found my new favorite. I NEED MORE EPISODES :L

@LateChapter- if you liked Sword Art Online, you may like No Game No Life.

I'll give a look into it!