Sal's RuneScape Forum
Rene

General Anime / Manga Discussion Thread

Anyways on to Clannad.

First season: Starts off as your typical high school comedy anime. The first few episodes though mainly revolve around getting to know all the characters and introducing them as well as involving a small amount of the first character ark. Slowly you can really notice the reason this anime is catagorised as Slice of Life since it really starts to make you think and if you're an emotional person this anime will easily affect you. The first Clannad part ends nicely and was for me the better of the two seasons because I had an easier time to relate to it and it was not as gloomy as "After Story"

However Clannad: After Story is brilliant in its own manner though as it deals more with what happens to Tomoya (the main character) after he graduates. This time it again deals a lot with some real life issues and acts realistic if you can look past some of the coincidences that happen to Tomoya. I really can't say much more without spoiling anything other than some supernatural things that happen near the end. The ending of the real Final Episode (22) is very confusing and open however you should watch episode 24 (an extra one) to fully understand what happened.

Clannad is great because unlike most of these life/high school animes it doesn't heavily relies on fanservice to generate comedy. There are 3 scenes in the whole 48 episodes of the series that can be seen as borderline perverted. Although there are still some of the occasional lines of text that can sort of ruin a moment for you temporarily but thanks to great writing and execution in the anime these moments are easily restored to the feelings they should generate with you.

One little thing that bugs me are some of the dream scenes you'll see which'll really confuse until nearly the final episode of Clannad: After Story. These scenes are seen in the first season aswell though so given that you need to wait 46 (or so, not sure on when it is revealed again) episodes means it can have you wondering.

I personally enjoyed Clannad a lot, if you're in to either Drama, Slice of Life or Romance this is definitely an Anime you'd like to see.

@ Slate: Sorry, I've never seen Blood so I can't give you any help on that. =/

Alright, so it seems I'm a brand-new anime addict/fan.

I've watched, and liked the following:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Vampire Knight(And the following season, Guilty)

About four years back, I used to be obsessed with Pokemon. However, starting from dropping cast and such, and all those fillers, bah. I don't like the themes anymore either.

A couple years back, I got pressure from my classmates to watch Yu-Gi-Oh and the GX version. I thought it was crap.

Subbed Naruto was OK until like 100 episodes of filler.

Now, I'm looking for some new anime to watch... Looking at my list, what do you guys think that I would like? Nothing mainstream like Bleach, please.

Death Note is really mainstream, but most people seem to like it.

I was going to reccommend that, but I was afraid of getting flamed, so I kept my mouth shut.

And yeah, Death Note is amazing.

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Neon Genesis Evangelion

About four years back, I used to be obsessed with Pokemon. However, starting from dropping cast and such, and all those fillers, bah. I don't like the themes anymore either.

A couple years back, I got pressure from my classmates to watch Yu-Gi-Oh and the GX version. I thought it was crap.

Now, I'm looking for some new anime to watch... Looking at my list, what do you guys think that I would like? Nothing mainstream like Bleach, please.

It seems like you enjoy Studio Ghibli films, so why not try watching some of the other ones (Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, etc.)?

But other than that, I can't really gauge what you like. What genres are you into?

Can someone reccommend me some?

I'm mostly into Horror/suspense/thrillers.

:eyebrows:

thanks.

NOT MAINSTREAM IF IT HASN'T BEEN SHOWN ON AUSTRALIAN FREETV!

I doubt there's more than a couple thousand in this country that have heard of it. :eyebrows:

thanks.

Off the top of my head:

Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror (and the spin-off Mononoke which trumps the original IMO)

Elfen Lied (contains a LOT of gore/nudity)

Red Garden

Ghost Hunt

Monster

Narutaru (the anime version doesn't have much of an ending tbh, but it's a great mindfudge regardless)

thanks.

Off the top of my head:

Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror (and the spin-off Mononoke which trumps the original IMO)

Red Garden

Ghost Hunt

Monster

Narutaru (the anime version doesn't have much of an ending tbh, but it's a great mindfudge regardless)

Alright thanks. ;)

I'll try some of those.

I heard especially good things about Elfen Lied and Monster.

thanks.

Off the top of my head:

Red Garden

Ghost Hunt

Monster

Alright thanks. ;)

I'll try some of those.

I heard especially good things about Elfen Lied and Monster.

I'll definitely second the recommendation to Elfen Lied.

I'd also like to add Chaos;Head. Despite being only 13 (I believe) episodes long it's a great anime with a good story. It's a great mindfudge as well.

Anyways, I'm leaving on a vacation now for a week, try to keep this thread alive. :ice: I'll get to work on the first post when I get back ... Maybe. Procrastination ftw.

- Naruto: watche the whole series... which was pretty pointless >_<

- Bleach: Stopped watching after the first few episodes

- Death Note: It's okay, but I haven't finished yet

- Flame of Recca: pretty nice :ice:

- Fullmetal Alchemist: Finished the full series and bought the movie. Olan on watching FMA: Brotherhood soon

- Yakitate!! Japan: Pretty funny...

Animes I've been watching:

- Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn!

- Shakugan no Shana

- Code Geass

- Hayate no Gotoku!!

Anyone got anime to suggest? :eyebrows:

Im into fantasy and comedy animes ;).

Edited by Gee

I see; many people in the roleplay room do. I'll have to do my research.

I was going to reccommend that, but I was afraid of getting flamed, so I kept my mouth shut.

And yeah, Death Note is amazing.

I'm not the type to flame.

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Neon Genesis Evangelion

It seems like you enjoy Studio Ghibli films, so why not try watching some of the other ones (Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, etc.)?

But other than that, I can't really gauge what you like. What genres are you into?

Hell yea, I like their films! :eyebrows:

I've heard of the first; I've never gotten around to look for it though. I'll take a look at the other ones you reccomended.

The genres I like are adventure, fantasy, and the decent romances. Perhaps some others.

I've heard about a Fire Emblem anime, but it supposedly stopped after the first few episodes because it was crap. Anybody know if it's good?

Well, if it's crap I'd imagine it's crap. xD

But ehh, I really don't know.

And thanks for the reccommendations guys, I'll get on those straight away! :eyebrows:

I'm going to take a look at Kiki's Delivery Service, Spice and Wolf, and Flame of Recca. They all seem good.

I just watched the latest episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

They're still stuck in the time recursion. ._. This makes it the 4th episode. I really want to punch whoever thought it was a good idea to have basically the same episode for four weeks straight.

I watch Naruto and Bleach. Naruto is cool, but the 90 episode filler sucked too hard. But it's pretty good at the moment, Sasuke is recruiting Juugo right now. :o Bleach is cool but the plot is really annoying, two rescue "girl" arcs out of 3 completed Canon ones. I read the manga for them as well. Each week there's a new twist. :ph34r:

Naruto Spoilers.

One week Nagato revives everyone

Next week Danzo's hokage

Next week Danzo orders Sasuke's death

Next week Sai has a cursed mark seal.

Next week Mizukage is girl when it's the bloody mist and there all friendly.

This week Danzo has Sharingan.

Also I watch Pokemon. :wizard:

I started watching Chaos;Head today, and it's absolutely amazing. I'm currently about to start episode 4 and I'm loving every minute of it.

Definite mindfudge. :eyebrows:

thanks.

Paranoia Agent!!!!!! only 13 episodes like Chaos;head

thanks.

Paranoia Agent!!!!!! only 13 episodes like Chaos;head

Alright thanks. I might check it out.

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I've heard of the first; I've never gotten around to look for it though. I'll take a look at the other ones you reccomended.

The genres I like are adventure, fantasy, and the decent romances. Perhaps some others.

I've heard about a Fire Emblem anime, but it supposedly stopped after the first few episodes because it was crap. Anybody know if it's good?

You might like:

Fullmetal Alchemist

Rental Magica

Seirei no Moribito

Twelve Kingdoms

Utawarerumono

All solid shows of the 'fantasy' genre. I think you should watch FMA first if you haven't tried it already. It's a staple anime really. ;)

Just a note: Both FMA and Twelve Kingdoms are some of the longer series (~45-50 episodes).

Naruto Spoilers.

Next week Sai has a cursed mark seal.

That just keeps him from talking about Danzo its not really a cursed seal.

Next week Mizukage is girl when it's the bloody mist and there all friendly.

She didn't seem to friendly too me

One week Nagato revives everyone

DRAGON DRAGON BALL! DRAGON BALL Z!!!!!!

I didn't know there was actually so many Subbed Anime availible in the U.S/Europe i always thought they didn't bother subbing anything but semi-mainstreamish stuff. Kinda Suprising.

Bleach is cool but the plot is really annoying, two rescue "girl" arcs out of 3 completed Canon ones. I read the manga for them as well. Each week there's a new twist.

2 out of 2 really the bount arc was just a slightly more interesting way of pulling the same crap naruto pulled.

But in all honesty The current arc is less about the rescue and more about Ichigo vs random Arrancar and Espada.

Edited by Meidou

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Neon Genesis Evangelion

You might like:

Fullmetal Alchemist

Rental Magica

Seirei no Moribito

Twelve Kingdoms

Utawarerumono

All solid shows of the 'fantasy' genre. I think you should watch FMA first if you haven't tried it already. It's a staple anime really. ;)

Just a note: Both FMA and Twelve Kingdoms are some of the longer series (~45-50 episodes).

Nah, I don't think I'll like the former. I'll do a bit of research on the latter, though.

Is Cyborg 009 (2001 run) any good? I recall watching it as a child, but I don't know how good it really is.

Queen's Blade is really well-done and a great show but is NSFW. :eyebrows:

Queen's Blade is really well-done and a great show but is NSFW. :eyebrows:

A few shows I watch are NSFW. I'll consider it, sounds good.

Gunnerkrigg Court is best anime.