Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Self-harm

Self-harm is a way of venting one's emotions. It can happen in many forms, including mutilation of the skin, hitting one's self or drug overdose. However, the term self-harm can also cover things like eating disorders, alcohol or drug addiction or even failing to look after one's self, emotionally or physically. People may self-harm for many reasons, often unbeknown to themselves.

Self-harm is often merely a way of coping with these emotions; it causes the body to release endorphins which numbs and masks painful emotions. This reduces conscious feeling - often preferable to the state beforehand. Some may injure themselves to convince themselves that they aren't vulnerable, whilst others may do it to distract from some other underlying pain. The reasons can vary drastically. Most people act self-destructively, indirectly from time to time, without realising it. This can be everyday behaviour such as smoking or working continuous long hours; these things can help people to distract themselves and avoid being alone with their thoughts and feelings.

Contrary to common belief, self-harm is not necessarily connected to suicide; often self-harm is about trying to stay alive. It is rarely an attempt to end one's life; most people don't harm themselves to an extend where it would be a risk to their lives. Also, many people regard self-harmers of being attention seeking or manipulative, however the majority of people who harm themselves attempt to hide it from others and conceal what they are doing, rather than draw attention to it.

Self-harm is a very taboo subject in society and it is believed by many to be wrong, some even believe it to be a sin. It certainly isn't a healthy way of controlling one's emotions and is associated with many risks including infection of a wound or considerable blood loss if it goes too far. The adrenaline rush caused by the release of endorphins can also be very addictive, making it a continuous problem if one wishes to stop.

However, despite this, it is a successful way of controlling and venting one's emotions. One could argue that directly harming one's self is considerably less harmful than chain smoking and substance abuse. The primary argument for self-harm is that it is the person's body and they should be able to do what they want with it. This argument has been used multiple times in debates concerning alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs, so surely the principle would be the same for this.

Do you believe purposely harming yourself is right or wrong? If you're going to be immature, don't bother posting.

Self harm is wrong because as you said its used to mask a problem.

When the problem comes back its done again and the person continually mutilates themselves while never confronting the problem and causing damage that won't go away in the long run.

Drug overdoses will kill your liver faster then alcohol and cutting can cause you to bleed to death if done improperly.

People who mask problems in this way in my opinion are weak and don't even have the strength to cope with everyday problems.

Edited by Emo_Nemo

People who mask problems in this way in my opinion are weak and don't even have the strength to cope with everyday problems.

Not necessarily. Some people suffer from far greater problems than some of us here could even imagine. I don't think people are weak for breaking down like that; a lot of people would.

I agree with your other points, however.

Unfortunately teenagers frequently self-harm now, not because of genuine problems, but in order to 'rebel' or as a part of gang culture. Many of the girls at my school have self-harmed in the past because of one of these two reasons, which is a big problem but one that the school doesn't seem to take seriously enough.

Edited by Cattius

no real point to it although in some cultures self mutilation is a tribal ritual.

Self harm is wrong because as you said its used to mask a problem.

When the problem comes back its done again and the person continually mutilates themselves while never confronting the problem and causing damage that won't go away in the long run.

I concur with all of that. Instead of wallowing and writhing in self pity, one must overcome it.

But the individual still has the right and the freedom to do unto himself as He wishes. We can never deny them that.

I'd rather be a cutter than a stoner.

But it depends on the cuts

I think that cutting is just way to get around your problems without actually fixing them. As emo nemo said, it just masks it.

So no, I don't believe in self harm. Never have, never will.

its rly bad

Very elaborate.

Thank you.

Would you rather have self harm or harm on others? Hmm?

Why not just seek help?

Why not just seek help?

That's really easy for someone to say who is not in that position.

Agreed. I think it's much easier to say "well go see a therapist and go get better" to someone who is going through things you can't even imagine. I've been through points like that in my life, and it's not fun. It's the kind of sadness that isn't even something you can cry about. You seriously just want to die. You lose all interest in everything and alienate your friends.

Granted, a therapist can help, but it's still not right to simply say that "getting help" is the answer to your problems.

EDIT: This is all pertaining to the fact that we are discussing serious self-harm and not attention-whoring "emo" things.

Edited by LCD

I dont know whether i missed reading it on your topic but self harm is also used to change the emotional pain into physical pain. This is because if the person cannot handle or control the emotional pain they are feeling they harm themselves. THis takes away some emotional pain by letting anger out, they harm themselves rather than anyone else. Then when they have physical pain their physical system kicks in and they try and control the physical pain they are successful in controlling it so are happy.

I've been in a state where i've wanted to self harm but never actually have. It does actually feel like its the only fix when you're experiencing it. I mean if your that worked up by the thought of the problem how are you ever going to confront and fix it? The feeling you get is just trapped and when you think about solving it and what could happen by solving it it makes you feel worse. If you know theres a way to let that feeling go you would take it. It's not for the weak, its for different people who have different lives. You would however have to confront that problem later and when your more relaxed you can but when you have that feeling about something first of all you cant just simply go about fixing the problem and go about your day.

To be honest when people say it's for the weak it really pisses me off. Just try and understand the feeling :eyebrows:

Self-harm is a misnomer. It doesn't just harm yourself, it harms everyone who cares about you.

Self-harm is a misnomer. It doesn't just harm yourself, it harms everyone who cares about you.

Altruism and empathy are the chains of cruelty that bind us together. A man's life is his own, he need not be concerned with what others want him to do.

Edited by jack-nicholson

The one thing I hate is self-harmers who say they have no other option, when they obviously do. I've seen many of people with genuine problems, who turned to self harm, and then realized there were other options, and went and took them.

Also, (while I realize some don't) I hate self-harmers who do it purely for attention. I accept that some do it for their own reasons, but anyone who disagrees with me has to accept that some do it purely for attention.

Anyways, I figure people need to get over it and do something more long-term for themselves, and you know what? I don't care about people self harming. Feel free to do it, just realize that the only thing you're doing is ruining yourself. Have fun when you accidentally slice a vein.

Therapists aren't evil. :eyebrows:

The one thing I hate is self-harmers who say they have no other option, when they obviously do. I've seen many of people with genuine problems, who turned to self harm, and then realized there were other options, and went and took them.

Also, (while I realize some don't) I hate self-harmers who do it purely for attention. I accept that some do it for their own reasons, but anyone who disagrees with me has to accept that some do it purely for attention.

Anyways, I figure people need to get over it and do something more long-term for themselves, and you know what? I don't care about people self harming. Feel free to do it, just realize that the only thing you're doing is ruining yourself. Have fun when you accidentally slice a vein.

Therapists aren't evil. :eyebrows:

I agree with this one. Often when people complain about their therapists it's because they chose a wrong one or they aren't truly willing to change.

I honestly think that people who do self harm have an emotional and mental issue that needs to be addressed. If you're doing something that goes against the natural safety measures that your body put in, like inflicting pain, then you might need a change.

I agree with this one. Often when people complain about their therapists it's because they chose a wrong one or they aren't truly willing to change.

Changing therapists can be somewhat costly. And if you don't have that kind of money, and are on a health plan, it is EXTREMELY difficult to choose another therapist. Not to mention the amount of time between sessions is rather lengthy. When I was seeing one, it was often 2 or 3 weeks between each session. They are swamped with patients.

Edited by jack-nicholson

I like this subject, because it applies to me.

Self-Harm in certain forms (I'm not listing all of them obviously because there's too many) are okay and i don't think certain sorts are wrong, I've used self harm to cope in many situations over the years and I'm fine, as many of us have and are still walking around living, breathing, going about our business and leading normal lives.

Whether it comes in the form of going for long hard runs, giving myself the harmless slap on the head when i do something wrong, stomping my anger out in a rage, taking it out on the firing range, smacking a few golf balls out into the ocean, yelling, tensing up/psyching up, raging at your computer screen or xbox 360 control (yes, admit, you've all done it at least once), venting it out in the gym on a boxing bag, going out getting shizzlefaced and dancing the night away, putting it all into one hard kick of a ball, working that few extra hours at work to avoid going home, or even using it as a rage filled fuel to knock the wind out of the winger in a game of rugby, whatever helps me vent my emotions in a way that doesn't harm myself or anyone else, and without having to actually express or say them openly i don't see as being potentially harmful or wrong.

Not every single problem that arises in life has to be vented by talking to a therapist or a "close friend you can trust with all your itty bitty secrets" like common opinion suggests, talking does not solve everything, yes sometimes it does admittedly as i talk to my partner sometimes when the universe throws me curve balls (or when she hits me up on "lacking sensitivity" as she calls it), but it's not the absolute solution to every mental disturbance that arises in your life, and if you're someone like me who's in the army, has an immense sense of self worth and prides on his ability to be strong and reveal no weaknesses (pride being the root of all evil, yes), when it comes to talking about my problems and revealing weaknesses, it isn't an easy task for me to do, so i look for other ways to cope that are better for me, and yes, they do work, i forget half the worries on my mind most of the time and i get just get on with life, no problems and no questoins asked, so i do face my problems in the end, but in a way that works for me, not how some text book says 'I' should be living, I've tried talking, and I've tried my way, for me my way is better.

Things such as self mutilation i think are wrong, or coping with emotional problems or similar situations in a way that can be detrimental to your well being such as "bottling feelings up" i think is wrong, they need to be released, find a way reasonable way that suits you and go for it.

You can't really generalize self-harm all into one final black or white, wrong or right answer, as there is so many different ways of coping with emotional issues that come under the self-harm category.

Edited by TheBlackSuperman

Changing therapists can be somewhat costly. And if you don't have that kind of money, and are on a health plan, it is EXTREMELY difficult to choose another therapist. Not to mention the amount of time between sessions is rather lengthy. When I was seeing one, it was often 2 or 3 weeks between each session. They are swamped with patients.

If you're developing mental problems that cause you harm (and maybe suicide) then I think that money would be on the latter of your list of things needed to save...

Altruism and empathy are the chains of cruelty that bind us together. A man's life is his own, he need not be concerned with what others want him to do.

Whether or not empathy is bad or good does not change whether it exists. And the fact that it does exist means that self-harm will inevitably cause harm to others. So, if the person inflicting it upon himself is cruelly chained by empathy as well, he should stop for the sake of those he loves.

I feel that self harm is simply a ignorant thing to do in a situation of emotional pain, family stress, ect. Why should you replace psychological pain with physical pain? There are many things that can be done to avert this and this is basicallly the ignorant thing to do. Im not saying that the people who do this are ignorant i am just saying the action is ignorant. You do not need to see a therapist you can have a talk with your school councelor/fellow employee/parent/ect. I do not think that people should inflict self harm also due to the fact that many feel it is the "in" thing to do in a sence due to the "emo/goth" movement that is happening. Many resort to dark clothing and chains ect just to make sure that if they werent fitting in before that they will not fit in due to their clothing. self harm often goes with this and many "emo" kids feel this is a good way to relieve their "pains".

Simply, it isnt a matter of judgement or morals it is a matter of common sence.

Whether or not empathy is bad or good does not change whether it exists. And the fact that it does exist means that self-harm will inevitably cause harm to others. So, if the person inflicting it upon himself is cruelly chained by empathy as well, he should stop for the sake of those he loves.

Following that logic, in order to avoid hurting those who love him, a better solution might be to continue his self harm, in order to have an outlet and not simply bottle everything inside, but to be smart about it, and keep anyone from knowing. Ignorance is bliss, no matter how much you try to deny it, and if you're going to be worrying about others more than yourself, you can't ignore the fact that they won't suffer if they never find out. Yourself first or others, Evan, you can't have both ^_^

My stance on cutting is simply that it is a solution, just not the most preferable. If you could go to a therapist and talk your problems out and become all sunshine and happiness, or go to a psychiatrist and get a bunch of pills that make you all sunshine and happiness, then why the hell wouldn't you? Because, unfortunately, not everything is that simple. Addressing the crapload of problems one has in their life is not a pleasant notion. Releasing a little bit of pain in the form of physical pain every once in a while may, for some people, be the only way they can function normally. If it works, it works; it's just not always pretty.

Personally, I wouldn't do the cutting-myself-with-a-razor, burning-my-skin thing, though not for the reason you'd think.

~CQ :eyebrows: