Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iSummon

Mac Flaw

I've heard over and over that "Mac's can get virus's" but now they found a flaw, so big Hacker's can get your data and Mac's are now less-safer than PC. :eyebrows:

Read it HERE

Lol, people it's a FLAW not a virus!

Edited by iSummon

Where does it say less safe then windows?

Dai Zovi, a security researcher and co-author of "The Mac Hacker's Handbook," said on Wednesday that once hackers start to put substantial resources into targeting Apple's computers, they will be at least as vulnerable as Windows machines.

I doubt this could harm anyone that's as cautious as they should be when downloading something.

Dai Zovi, a security researcher and co-author of "The Mac Hacker's Handbook," said on Wednesday that once hackers start to put substantial resources into targeting Apple's computers, they will be at least as vulnerable as Windows machines.

I doubt this could harm anyone that's as cautious as they should be when downloading something.

Doesnt that mean they will be at the same level?

Wait.. Nevermind... Im retarded.

You must not understand, this is to ANYONE not just people who have viruses on their computer already. (Mac's only)

The only reason Macs haven't had as many security issues is because until now they've been by far the minority, meaning there was less to gain from creating something that abuses a security flaw in Macs compared to something that abuses a flaw in a Windows OS.

Now that Macs are starting to take a bigger portion of the market share hackers will stop seeing it as a waste of time to create a virus that can infect a Mac.

It's very funny that this was from MSN ;)

Also, the majority of Mac viruses come from pirated software. I guess that means that law-abiding people shouldn't be affected :eyebrows:.

It's very funny that this was from MSN ;)

Also, the majority of Mac viruses come from pirated software. I guess that means that law-abiding people shouldn't be affected :eyebrows:.

Good thing this is a flaw.

All I gotta say is: SUCK IT MAC USERS.

Not on such a high horse now, are ye?? :eyebrows:

As soon as macintosh started using intel processors they were under more threat, they used to have their own processors but changed to intel for speed. Eitherway, you can rest assured that you are generally safe. Obviously all computers aren't flawless but i think in terms of track records and general history you aren't going to get anything malicious. That's if your using your computer safely though :eyebrows:!

Just think about how many malicious attacks there must be available to a windows operating system, saying that OSX Leaopard has less security than windows is a massive overstatement!

Edited by Fatalysm

Just think about how many malicious attacks there must be available to a windows operating system, saying that OSX Leaopard has less security than windows is a massive overstatement!

More malicious software=/=less security.

All I gotta say is: SUCK IT MAC USERS

Sad to burst your moment of gloating, but there are still way more explots from windows. And many of the serious Mac exploits come from dumb people pirating stoffs.

So, in response:

SUCK IT WINDOWS USERS!

Sad to burst your moment of gloating, but there are still way more explots from windows. And many of the serious Mac exploits come from dumb people pirating stoffs.

So, in response:

SUCK IT WINDOWS USERS!

It's just that hackers/malware targets windows more than macs (windows = 90% market) because they can have a bigger effect.

Anyway, I know a couple of people who have macs and have pirated software and things, but they just say, they have a mac, so they're safe. Most mac users think their pretty little OS is totally secure, and that's never true.

So, in response:

SUCK IT WINDOWS USERS!

It's just that hackers/malware targets windows more than macs (windows = 90% market) because they can have a bigger effect.

Anyway, I know a couple of people who have macs and have pirated software and things, but they just say, they have a mac, so they're safe. Most mac users think their pretty little OS is totally secure, and that's never true.

Thanks for that. SUCK IT MAC USERS!

Well, I think that if all PC fanboys could afford a Mac, then they wouldn't be so quick to throw something as small as this in Mac users faces. Seriously, stop gloating and go play Crysis on your PC, since having a computer that can play games is so damn important.

No serious PC user would ever consider using a Mac. Why would you pay twice as much for half as much? Besides, the reason Macs have less viruses is because they're so unpopular, and why bother creating a virus for 9% of the market when you could create one for 90% of the market? Linux is best in that respect though. In fact, Linux is best :eyebrows:

Well, I think that if all PC fanboys could afford a Mac, then they wouldn't be so quick to throw something as small as this in Mac users faces. Seriously, stop gloating and go play Crysis on your PC, since having a computer that can play games is so damn important.

To many people it is important. And believe me, money is not an issue most of the time. The most avid defender of PC's that I know works with computers a lot, and considering that working with computers generally pays more than anything short of being a doctor or into professional sports, he has enough money for 10 macs.

To me having games on my computer is not important, but I simply like PC's better. Well, most of my family's computers have been PC's, ever since way back when you had to hit the close button on your desktop to shut down your computer and the Start button wasn't even invented yet, so I'm used to PC's, but I've had Mac's before (the first computer I ever owned myself was a Mac), and I still like PC's better.

A mac is easier to use and generally safer to use (that's changing as Mac's become more popular), but I know enough about computers and internet safety that those aren't huge issues. (Don't take that as cocky or anything, I'm paranoid about security, and I'm never secure enough.) A PC can simply do more, and that's what I need.

For the general population stock full of computer illiteracy, Mac's may be better. Many times PC's are by no means easy to use. But for those who actually know more than usual about computers, I would recommend a PC.

Costs effects everything.

That's the only deal here.

I could easily afford a mac if I wanted one. But I don't want one because they are rediculously overpriced. I can get a windows computer with a better spec for hundreds of pounds less, so why waste my money on a mac?

And macs are pcs too btw (despite the misleading statements on apple's badly written website).

As for the flaw, I think it is very funny. Hopefully now apple will be forced to stop saying 'macs don't get viruses' :eyebrows:

Edited by Cattius

Now this is public, Apple will try to fix it in Snow Leopard. Still, I've had a lot of viruses on my Macbook, so Apple are lying anyway

It's not entirely the fault of the OS, or your Anti-Virus software. It's you. What sites do you go on, and what do you download? I only use things that i trust and i think i've only ever had one trojan, and that was dealt with automatically by my Anti-Virus.

There have been Macs viruses floating around for a while... Usually only on pirated software, but there have been viruses. tbh I treat my Mac the same as my PCs, just be careful.

Edited by Fencefry

The reason why Macs don't have as many viruses isn't solely based off the fact that they're a smaller market share (although it does play a roll), it's because it's based off of UNIX which is harder to write viruses for, as compared to NT. :eyebrows:

No, as i said it's mainly because it's less popular. Why make something that could effect 9% of the market when you could make something that could effect 90% of the market?

No, as i said it's mainly because it's less popular. Why make something that could effect 9% of the market when you could make something that could effect 90% of the market?

But I've read my exact sentence in an article. :eyebrows: