Sign in to follow this  
Toxic Waste

Are Clue Scrolls Worth It?

Are Clue Scrolls Worth It?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Are Clue Scrolls Worth It?

• Yes
    • No

Back when Clue Scrolls were first introduced to Runescape, many users flocked around hoping for a valuable reward, killing and killing, turning down other activities to do what is known today as Treasure Trails. Players spent hours trailing back and forth, some getting lucky, some not so much. However, to this day they have been something challenging and fun to do for the Runescape Community. It's a game of chance, of course - but is getting rich quick worth all the hours spent, when you could use that same time for steady pay skilling?

Looking through a Treasure Trail Guide, I noticed a few very rare, and very expensive items. Level one has the trendy Flared Trousers, level two has cloaks and the famed Ranger Boots, and level three has 3rd Age, trimmed armour, and much more. However, the thing is - most players don't get these items very often. Some could do hundreds of clues looking for 3rd Age, but never once get any sort of it. This seems odd to me, as people can get that same value in a few days making 500k an hour continuously. I know I do.

So it seems simple, right? Let's all just forget Clue Scrolls and skill when we play Runescape! Err, wait. There's a different side to this argument. Sure, you may make a steady paycheck skilling, but you loose something that's key to the equation. It's called fun. It's the point of a video game, remember? Every day I log on and see users chugging away for their favorite 99's, making money as I was pointing out. Yet do these people really have fun playing Runescape?

I personally will continue to do Treasure Trails. While it may not be the most efficient way to make money, it's not all about getting rich. There's a challenge to go through each time I get a Clue, a rushing feeling right before I open the casket. Will I get another clue, or will this be my reward? Will the reward be great, or will I have to try again sometime later?

Who knows? And that's the point. What's your opinion? :eyebrows:

Your joking right?? You could make 3+ million in less than an hour. Would you rather that or spending 5 hours making 3+ mill?? Besides, most people I know get Clues from Slayer so they get them doing a skill, not wasting time.

As said above, I get my clues from slayer. The last clue I got, from lesser demons, gave me a saradomin blessed body and a rune kite (h5), among other stuff. It totalled just over 1m. As far as I know, that is the largest single drop I have ever recieved.

Sure rc'ing might get me 500k, but it requires that you like it. I go for fun over speed every time, hence why I got a combat 99, because I love combat, and thus clue scrolls are just a bonus for me.

But yes, they are worth it, at least to those without 92 RC, or similar :eyebrows:

Your joking right?? You could make 3+ million in less than an hour. Would you rather that or spending 5 hours making 3+ mill?? Besides, most people I know get Clues from Slayer so they get them doing a skill, not wasting time.

It would probably take over 5 hours to get a 3m+ reward on average.

I think there worth it. I do them whenever i get them, or as soon as i can as long as its not level one, it helps take your mind off some randoms problems. I htink there a good thing.

I've got a vintage clue at my bank :eyebrows: , I think it has been sitting there close to 1.5 years now. At bit higher levels there are so many other ways to make money that I haven't bothered to do clues anymore.

Chance of getting something really worthwhile is so small compared to time it takes. Additionally I do not have space in my bank account to keep stock of often required clue items (boots, armours, weapons etc.) in order to do them efficiently.

I agree with your argument regarding "fun". If you enjoy the clues then they are definitely worth it...but if it feels tedious to you, then you shouldn't guilt yourself into doing them, because as others have said the chance of making more money then you would make with a skill is slim...very slim.

I always do the clues I get from slayer, but I don't use clue scrolls as a way of making money.

I find them to be very fun and the chance of getting many millions off a clue is very addicting, no matter how slim it is

So it seems simple, right? Let's all just forget Clue Scrolls and skill when we play Runescape! Err, wait. There's a different side to this argument. Sure, you may make a steady paycheck skilling, but you loose something that's key to the equation. It's called fun.

I agree 110%. I love getting Clue Scrolls, and always do them - they're a nice break, the gamble of doing them is fun, and I usually get at least 10-50k from them.

If I'm on a Slayer task (which is where I get most of them), after the next bank run I do the scroll before going back to my task - that way I've got a chance of getting another scroll on that task. Last time I had Turoth, I got 4 scrolls. :P

And really, I don't find they take all THAT long. I've done all the quests, so I have access to/can teleport to most of the locations. And since I have a Costume Room in my POH, I do have room to keep most of the harder-to-get emote requirements in my bank - bone spear, blue mystic hat, blue DH set, etc. Anything else needed I can quickly buy on the G.E., or make.

I even like the puzzle boxes... probably because I learnt to do real ones at a very young age; Mam used to keep several in her pocketbook and give them to me to play with during the sermon in church. Kept me from being bored. :eyebrows: (Mam was really cool that way... she never expected us to "behave" and sit still doing nothing.)

The only thing I REALLY dislike about clues is when I get the one that requires going into the Duel Arena; I hate having to go on clan chat and ask someone to help, although people don't seem to mind. (Plus, after the first time, I always offer a few anti-dragon or super-strength potions as a thank-you; I make them myself & usually have plenty in the bank.)

As far as money, they at least don't lose me any, and usually make me a bit. Most level 3 scrolls give me at least 1 rune item - sometimes 4-5 of them - which sell or alch for a reasonable amount of money, and I've also gotten all three God legs - sold the Guthix, kept Zammy & Sara (the latter just because I like the way it looks). And I've gotten quite a few God Book pages from level 1 scrolls from Evil Trees.

But I don't really do them for the money aspect.

Oh yes... I like firestarters; it's fun to burn the purple and green ones at the Lumby bank and amaze newbs, and to save up the red, white, and blue ones and annoy people by burning them in the G.E. on July 4. ^_^

Edited by sionnach dhu

That's a really good idea, lighting fireworks on 4th of July. :eyebrows:

I find them to be very fun and the chance of getting many millions off a clue is very addicting, no matter how slim it is

I agree 100%. ^_^

Edited by SlashingUK
Merged your double post for you

I personally don't think it is worthwhile, but opinions vary from person to person quite significantly on Clues. The chances of getting something really substantial are pretty slim, and the average Clue reward I used to get is below what I earn per hour Runecrafting. Some people spend years doing every Clue they possibly can and get no 3rd Age, others get after their first few. I'd rather spend time getting experience with decent, guaranteed money, but if you enjoy Clues I don't see why you shouldn't do them :eyebrows:

Clue scrolls are and aren't worth it, if you get a plain clue scroll, drop it, level 2, If you wanna have some fun, do it, who knows, it might give you 200k profit, and because they take an estimated 8 minutes, 200k is pretty big. Level 3, DO IT!!! My friend does them all the time and comes out with 1 million gp profit! Level 3 clue scrolls take an estimated 25 minutes. 1m + 25 minutes = awesome. Also, you can even get 3rd age parts from level 3 clues, and they do take about 25-60 minutes, so that's awesome profit. Also, clue scrolls give you a chance to explore runescape, seeing places you have never been, and unlock new music tracks. ~Evil Pumpkin~

Clue scrolls are and aren't worth it, if you get a plain clue scroll, drop it,

Every single God Page I've gotten has been from a Level 1 scroll. Considering they take about 10 minutes to do, I figure it's worth the gamble. :-)

It depends on luck, and you could be have perhaps a hundred clues without a decent drop, or you could do one a get a third age peice. But you have the chance to make alot of money in short time! Something skilling can't provide

Its similar to Monster Hunting yet people are always doing that :eyebrows:

As long as I make back what i spend in runes teleporting, I'm happy doing them.

Edited by Arctic Wolf

As said above, I get my clues from slayer. The last clue I got, from lesser demons, gave me a saradomin blessed body and a rune kite (h5), among other stuff. It totalled just over 1m. As far as I know, that is the largest single drop I have ever recieved.

Sure rc'ing might get me 500k, but it requires that you like it. I go for fun over speed every time, hence why I got a combat 99, because I love combat, and thus clue scrolls are just a bonus for me.

But yes, they are worth it, at least to those without 92 RC, or similar :eyebrows:

Lessers don't drop Clues Lol....

I like clues. A nice break from the monotony of slayer tasks...

~L

~L

I'm sure he meant Greater Demons.

I'm not sure if anyone has said anything similar to what I'm about to say yet, as I'm too lazy to read the longer posts :eyebrows:

Anyways.. If you kill monsters JUST for clue drops, like if someone was killing hellhounds, even if they didn't have it as their task. I'd say that isn't worth the time. But if you're doing slayer and get a clue drop, then go ahead and do it. You never know ^_^

I like doing treasure trails, even though out of the 10+ I've doe, I've never made more than 500k. I think its one of those things that sorta puts a little fun in the most boring training. The scrolls don't drop enough for me to really enjoy the rewards, but they take you to some crazy places, but it all about the adventure. It's like getting a free cruise ticket the the heart of Karamja.

I enjoy doing clue-scrolls, when I get them. It provides a nice break from just normal training. If I dislike doing something, I simply do not do it. After all, this is but a game, and if it is not fun, why play it? It is always nice when I train on a monster for their drops, or their great experience, and then end up with a clue-scroll.

Also, no matter how low the drop from a clue-scroll, I still profit from it, even if it is in the form of a Rune or Adamant item, I can either keep it (saves me cash from having to buy it), alch it (gives me cash), or give it to a friend as a gift (saves them cash). No matter what drop it is, there is still a use for it.

~John

But yes, they are worth it, at least to those without 92 RC, or similar ^_^

~L

I'm sure he meant Greater Demons.

OOOPS! Yes I meant greaters :eyebrows: I just switched to duradel, so im still unsure about tasks. That was the first greater task i've had :D. Very productive as it turns out :P

Well, yes because hey if you had a lvl 3, you could possibly get 3rd age. 100m in your pocket YO!