Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Easl

Sailing Is Not Dead Yet

Sailing is a good idea in my opinion. I want to see how Jagex makes the skill work with the world of RuneScape. I thought they would never make that skill but looks like they're taking it back in for consideration.

Are people still trying to make sailing happen?

Why doesn't anyone understand, sailing wouldn't work because you would have to create loads of little islands you could visit. That would take forever to devlope. Anyway theirs a funorb game in development where you can be a pirate and sail.

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_01

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_02

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_03

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_04

But imagine a skil lwhere you sailed to randomly generated islands, it would be a huge task but every island you visit would always be different, and it fits the "new game mechanic" perfectly.

All I foresee with that random island idea is game crashing lag.

Are people still trying to make sailing happen?

Why doesn't anyone understand, sailing wouldn't work because you would have to create loads of little islands you could visit. That would take forever to devlope. Anyway theirs a funorb game in development where you can be a pirate and sail.

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_01

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_02

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_03

http://www.funorb.com/kbase/guid/pirate_empires_04

But imagine a skil lwhere you sailed to randomly generated islands, it would be a huge task but every island you visit would always be different, and it fits the "new game mechanic" perfectly.

All I foresee with that random island idea is game crashing lag.

True, lag will strike. I would think of an overworld map and little dots that resemble Islands and these dots change every week, like penguins, to represent a new island found.

Oh man..

just when u thought jagex wouldnt ruin the game any further

now that little leak makes sense? (the signpost thing)

To those who say that this should be a minigame, I beg to differ! Let's look at slayer for a moment. You have to talk to a person, receive a task, and go complete that task. Well, why isn't slayer a minigame, then? Sailing would be similar to summoning; you have to rent(and later buy) a ship from port sarim, first off. Then, based on your level, you have to hire crew to help you. The more crew you have, the more successful you're likely to be. Once you get a high enough level, oh say 60, you become a captain and no longer need to rent a boat, as you can simply purchase(or build if you're a member with high enough construction) yourship. After you do all of that, you start sailing. Along the voyage to the island, you may get attacked by a monster or another player's ship. If you get killed by the monster/player, you still have a chance of crash landing on a random island, but you loose your ship and crew, but you keep all items in your inventory. Based on your sailing level, then number of crew you have, the quality of your ship, and how you fare in the fight(how close you come to winning, and the level of the monster), you will arrive on a random island with many different resources that can only be used once such as yew/magic trees, monsters, rocks, fishing spots, ect. ect.

To those who say that this should be a minigame, I beg to differ! Let's look at slayer for a moment. You have to talk to a person, receive a task, and go complete that task. Well, why isn't slayer a minigame, then? Sailing would be similar to summoning; you have to rent(and later buy) a ship from port sarim, first off. Then, based on your level, you have to hire crew to help you. The more crew you have, the more successful you're likely to be. Once you get a high enough level, oh say 60, you become a captain and no longer need to rent a boat, as you can simply purchase(or build if you're a member with high enough construction) yourship. After you do all of that, you start sailing. Along the voyage to the island, you may get attacked by a monster or another player's ship. If you get killed by the monster/player, you still have a chance of crash landing on a random island, but you loose your ship and crew, but you keep all items in your inventory. Based on your sailing level, then number of crew you have, the quality of your ship, and how you fare in the fight(how close you come to winning, and the level of the monster), you will arrive on a random island with many different resources that can only be used once such as yew/magic trees, monsters, rocks, fishing spots, ect. ect.

Out soon: The Puzzle Pirates Invade RuneScape!

I think the idea of sailing being a skill is patently ridiculous :wizard:

The more succesful your likely to be at what? Being the captain of a ship? I don't think so. Have any of you who support this idiotic idea of a skill ever considered how you'd get xp in it? you what? sail a boat to karamja and congrats! you gain 10 xp? No. Just no.

When sailing becomes a skill, I'll quit the game.

+1 I will too.

Can anyone tell me where the idea for sailing came from anyway and how suddenly everyone is all like, "OMG! Sailing! Release it Jagex! It would make the game soooo much better!" Would it? No.

Really sailing is better off as a funorb game, that Pirate Empires thing. I dont like the idea of it in runescape :wizard: or how it could really fit in. I wouldn't train it except for total levels to make my skills look ok.

~ Hells Angel :box:

Why did Jagex have to be ambiguous, all it causes is hysteria and paranoia. They should have stuck to dropping hints! :wizard:

IF indeed, sailing does come out for some reason, it will be one of the skills I will never touch. I would rather have a sailing mini-game than build an entire skill over it. However, I do like the idea of going to new un-discovered islands with mates and exploring it. It feels like Jagex is caiving in under the community requesting it.

How did this speculation of sailing even start?

IF indeed, sailing does come out for some reason, it will be one of the skills I will never touch. I would rather have a sailing mini-game than build an entire skill over it. However, I do like the idea of going to new un-discovered islands with mates and exploring it. It feels like Jagex is caiving in under the community requesting it.

Jagex leaked an icon of a sailing boat on the highscores. Then the head banner was a magician on a boat fighting Elvarg so people said 2 + 2 = 7.

Jagex leaked an icon of a sailing boat on the highscores. Then the head banner was a magician on a boat fighting Elvarg so people said 2 + 2 = 7.

That highscores picture was a fake.

Upcoming skill will probably cover the tab because we can see that its shaded in RuneTek5 image but there's something behind it. It looks like a sail but who knows? I personally think it wont be sailing because ti also has to be f2p skill.

Upcoming skill will probably cover the tab because we can see that its shaded in RuneTek5 image but there's something behind it. It looks like a sail but who knows? I personally think it wont be sailing because ti also has to be f2p skill.

It looks like a chat bubble to me, though the recent picture has it blurred out. http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6561/runetek5hdscreen.jpg