Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mystify

Oak Plank Running

---### IN PROGRESS ###---

Update:4th Sept 09 - Sorry, been on a short holiday. I shall resume writing when I get the time! =D

Written By: -_Andy_-

Special thanks to: Twist of Fate, Sr H Potter

Table of Contents

Introduction

The method

Strategies

Converting the planks

Introduction

Have you ever wanted a reliable method to obtain profits of approximately 500k per hour (depending on your speed)? Then oak plank running is for you! All you need to do is to purchase an amount of oak logs from the Grand Exchange that you would like to convert into planks (500-1K at a time is recommended) and let the guide explain the rest.

The Method

First, make sure that you have enough money to invest in your first supply of planks. Next, simply go to the Grand Exchange and buy around 500 to 1,000 Oak logs. It is highly recommended that you only purchase what you are willing to convert to planks.

28k7a1d.png

Remember to also have with you enough money to pay the Sawmill operator. You can carry 27 Oak logs plus the cash, so you will need 6,750gp for each inventory. You should bring enough so that you do not have to keep banking for cash. Just multiply the amount of logs you have times 250 and you will arrive at exactly how much money you will spend.

Strategies

Once you've gotten your inventory set up, there are a few things you should know that will make your back and forth trips go much smoother. If you have a Summoning level of 40 or above, it is highly recommended that you bring a familiar that can restore your energy. Spirit Terrorbirds at level 52 Summoning along with Tireless run scrolls, or Bull Any familiars at level 40 summoning with Unburden scrolls are a very good idea. You will have to sacrifice one inventory space, however. Alternatives to summoning familiars are the Explorer's ring from the Lumbridge Achievement Diary, and Resting at the musician along the route to recharge your energy much more quickly. Please note that you may only use the Explorer's ring for only a few trips in a 24-hour period. Here is a map of the most effective route.

rk1o92.png

Converting the planks

Now that you know the basic strategy, and have your inventory set up, you're ready to go!

*Picture of the sawmill operator here if you want*

After you've calculated your needed amount of cash corresponding to your amount of oak planks, and also have any type of energy restoring method, you're ready to make your first trip. Go to Varrock's east bank to start. With your inventory set up, withdraw oak planks so that your entire available inventory space is filled. Refer to the map above if you are not familiar with the route. Follow the road north until you've reached the Sawmill. Right click on the Sawmill operator and select "Make planks".

*Picture of that option box would be helpful*

Every Oak log in your inventory will have been converted into your item of profit! Run back to the bank, and exchange the planks for more logs. Repeat this, and restore your energy when needed. Finally, enjoy your profit!

Edited by -_Andy_-

Add this - In order to convert Oak Logs into Oak Planks you have to give the Sawmill Operator an Oak Log and 250 GP.

Dj :wizard:

There's a much better method.

Ring of Duelling needed and Enlightened Journey completed.

Withdraw your Coins, Oak Logs and 1 Willow Log from the Castle Wars bank, run to the nearby Hot Air Balloon and teleport to the sawmill, convert logs into planks, teleport back to Castle Wars using Ring of Duelling, bank and withdraw more Logs.

Edited by Poke

I might try that second method :wizard:

But this is the method that has very few requirements (other than oak logs and money)

The Hot Air Balloon method wouldnt work well since there is a weight restriction. It only allows 18 logs per trip.

Now I tried your method with a Spirit Terrorbird and here is what I got.

These are the profits even with the oak log buying and sawmill expense.

Around 9,864gp made per minute

591,840gp made per hour. Cheers :wizard:

Edit: Oh I didnt count the Terrorbird expense but I doubt it's bothering? :box:

Edited by Rivel

This does have a lot of potential. You should make it look more like a guide. :box:

Add a header, credits at the top (Written by, special thanks to), as well as a table of contents and anchor codes. If you want help, just ask me. It should be separated into categories to look more organized. I can help with both linking and formatting of the guide.

Try something like...

[b]Table of Contents[/b]
[anchor=1][b]Introduction[/anchor][/b]
[anchor=2]The method[/anchor]
[anchor=3]Strategies[/anchor]
[anchor=4]Converting the planks[/anchor]

[name=1][b]Introduction[/name][/b]
Have you ever wanted a reliable method to obtain profits of approximately 600k per hour? Then oak plank running is for you! All you need to do is to purchase an amount of oak logs from the [url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/grand_exchange.html"]Grand Exchange[/url] that you would like to convert into planks (500-1K at a time is recommended) and let the guide explain the rest.

[name=2][b]The Method[/name][/b]
First, make sure that you have enough money to invest in your first supply of planks. Next, simply go to the Grand Exchange and buy around 500 to 1,000 Oak logs.
[img=http://i27.tinypic.com/2ywzpe8.png]
Remember to also have with you enough money to pay the Sawmill operator. You can carry 27 Oak logs plus the cash, so you will need 6,750gp for each inventory. You should bring enough so that you do not have to keep banking for cash. Just multiply the amount of logs you have times 250 and you will arrive at exactly how much money you will spend. 

[name=3][b]Strategies[/name][/b]
Once you've gotten your inventory set up, there are a few things you should know that will make your back and forth trips go much smoother. If you have a [url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/summoning.html"]Summoning[/url] level of 40 or above, it is highly recommended that you bring a familiar that can restore your energy. Spirit Terrorbirds at level 52 Summoning along with Tireless run scrolls are a very good idea. You will have to sacrifice one inventory space, however. Alternatives to summoning familiars are the Explorer's ring from the [url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/diaries/lumbridge.html"]Lumbridge Achievement Diary[/url], and Resting at the musician along the route to recharge your energy much more quickly. Please note that you may only use the Explorer's ring for only a few trips in a 24-hour period. Here is a map of the most effective route. 
[img=http://i29.tinypic.com/rk1o92.png]

[name=4][b]Converting the planks[/name][/b]
Now that you know the basic strategy, and have your inventory set up, you're ready to go!
*Picture of the sawmill operator here if you want*
After you've calculated your needed amount of cash corresponding to your amount of oak planks, and also have any type of energy restoring method, you're ready to make your first trip. Go to [url="http://runescape.salmoneus.net/cities/varrock.html"]Varrock's[/url] east bank to start. With your inventory set up, withdraw oak planks so that your entire available inventory space is filled. Refer to the map above if you are not familiar with the route. Follow the road north until you've reached the Sawmill. Right click on the Sawmill operator and select "Make planks".
*Picture of that option box would be helpful*
Every Oak log in your inventory will have been converted into your item of profit! Run back to the bank, and exchange the planks for more logs. Repeat this, and restore your energy when needed. Finally, enjoy your profit!

It's not a full on guide but it's a way in which it would look better. I just wrote this in about 10 minutes and I highly recommend you use it. :wizard:

Edited by Twist of Fate

I cropped your image a little smaller, I could see a few other bars of the GE

28k7a1d.png

[img=http://i32.tinypic.com/28k7a1d.png]

Go with Twist of Fate's nice little touch up.

Edited by Sr H Potter

The Hot Air Balloon method wouldnt work well since there is a weight restriction. It only allows 18 logs per trip.

Penance Gloves/Spottier Cape/Boots of Lightness.

I don't have the gloves but I certainly get more logs than 18 per trip.

Penance Gloves/Spottier Cape/Boots of Lightness.

I don't have the gloves but I certainly get more logs than 18 per trip.

With just boots of lightness I can bring 21 logs.

Thanks so much for that, Twist of Fate! The rewrite with categories and better layout is brilliant. You've earned a well-deserved place in the "Special Thanks to" section! :box:

Shame there's not an extra-special-thanks to section :wizard:

Edited by -_Andy_-

Meh, you can just add me with the other people who've helped on this guide. :wizard: I'm very sorry but I cannot access the game currently to further help at the moment.

Could I use my house for this with a demon butler?

I'm not sure demon butlers can withdraw oak logs from your bank :box:

was bored so i got this for you

72930312.jpg

Ew, JPG. :wizard:

I'll get one if I have time.

You could bring noted oak logs, let the butler unnote and bring them to the sawmill. But that would cost about 395gp/plank which is a lot.

Edited by Roy

You could bring noted oak logs, let the butler unnote and bring them to the sawmill. But that would cost about 395gp/plank which is a lot.

I was thinking more along the lines of running from Yanille bank, since it's closer, getting the butler to make them into planks and then running back.