Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ajax

Shared Xp - A Bad Idea?

As we all (should) know, most RuneScape melee have 4 attack options - Attack xp, Strength xp, Defence xp, and Shared xp.

The first 3 only give xp toward one skill - 4 xp for every 1 damage inflicted. However, the last, shared xp, divides the xp amongst the three skills - granting 1.33 xp to each skill for every 1 damage.

1.33 * 3 = 3.99. 3.99 < 4. 0.25% difference to be exact. Yes it's miniscule, but the loss of xp is there.

So, should this be fixed with larger numbers granted to each (1.333333), or take turns spreading the xp? For example, 4 xp to attack, then Strength, then defence, and repeat?

Discuss.

No. First of all, I believe if you hit 3 damage on controlled, you get 4 exp for Att, Def and Strength. Also, it can be good for people wanting to get 3 99s exactly on the same time.

There is absolutely no difference, as shared XP means you train all your skills at the same time. So, if you want to go from 70-75 in attack, defense, strength and HP, you will see nearly no difference in the time it takes you to reach 75 in all skills, but you will level up your skills at the exact same time.

This would only be a problem if they rounded it to less than 8 digits. Look how much exp you get when inflicting 150m damage against a creature with controlled:

with Fractions: 4 / 3 * 150,000,000 = 200,000,000

2 digits: 150,000,000 * 1.33 = 299,500,000

3 digits: 150,000,000 * 1.333 = 299,950,000

8 digits: 150,000,000 * 1.33333333 = 199,999,999.5 = 200,000,000

So Jagex could've used 8 digits it's not a problem, if they didn't you probably won't notice or they used something else to solve this problem.

Edited by Roy

dont encorage jagex or else i will be very mad :wizard: how else can we lvl up 1 skill by 10 lvls in a week!! if you want shared xp it will take you months to get a skill up by 10. you will be sorry

There is absolutely no difference, as shared XP means you train all your skills at the same time. So, if you want to go from 70-75 in attack, defense, strength and HP, you will see nearly no difference in the time it takes you to reach 75 in all skills, but you will level up your skills at the exact same time.

Absolutely and nearly arent the same...

I don't like it because:

1. No one really even uses it.

2. It often ruins 1 defence pures. (like they have that on by accident and get 2 defence)

2. It often ruins 1 defence pures. (like they have that on by accident and get 2 defence)

It's there fault for not checking what combat style there training.

Good idea as over time you can lose a good deal of exp.

100 damage - non controlled - 400exp

100 damage - controlled - 399exp

So if you earn 400kexp in a non controlled combat style, the controlled combat style only gets 399k, meaning they have lost 1k.

On your way to a 99 in non contolled combat style, the controlled style will lose out on about 30k of exp.

1exp off isnt really a difference. And if you are 30k indifferent, I could get that in 25mins of Ape Atol monkeys.

OnYx :wizard:

It's there fault for not checking what combat style there training.

Really? Ever Pked? Consider this fact..not all weapons have the same xp type for a specific setting box. Do you, or do you not quickly swap weapons when Pking? Might be different now, but that's how it seemed before.

And I'm not sure how you call 30k a lot of xp in comparison to getting 99. It might be worth a bit for say, prayer, but worth bugger all in combat.

Training to 99 with controlled with a whip is equal to, if not faster than doing each seperate style. Considering strength trains slower than attack and defence as you can't use an abyssal whip to specifically train it which means you have to use slower methods such as sara sword (even though it has the same stats as the whip which it is 2 handed and can't be used with a rune defender) or dragon scimmy.

Controlled is also cool as you can get 3 or 4 99s at the exact same time with it.

This would only be a problem if they rounded it to less than 8 digits. Look how much exp you get when inflicting 150m damage against a creature with controlled:

with Fractions: 4 / 3 * 150,000,000 = 200,000,000

2 digits: 150,000,000 * 1.33 = 299,500,000

3 digits: 150,000,000 * 1.333 = 299,950,000

8 digits: 150,000,000 * 1.33333333 = 199,999,999.5 = 200,000,000

So Jagex could've used 8 digits it's not a problem, if they didn't you probably won't notice or they used something else to solve this problem.

The XP system only supports two decimal places. I'm not sure where I heard that, but I'm completely sure of it.

It's not much of a difference, and a 30k loss through 13M+ xp isn't hardly noticeable, but yeah, the loss is still there. My opinion is that the loss is too small to make shared xp a bad idea. I never use it because it seems to hit less often than other styles and is slower that way, but I'm sure others disagree with me.