Sal's RuneScape Forum
Jose0

Football

I don't think you can judge that just because teams have expensive players means they simply buy the title. When Ferguson took over Man United, his first few seasons were appalling, he pretty much got fired. But he managed to improve the team without spending a lot of money, leading to successes, and that success allowed them to spend more and more money on players creating a very strong squad. Manchester City have done it the other way around, they spent loads of money buying experienced players who are already brilliant, and then became successful. Same with Chelsea, although they were closer to the top to begin with.

It is maybe a flaw of the league that teams like United and Arsenal who become dominant stay there for so long, but the only way I can see that changing is if there is a drastic reshuffle, with a system more like the NFL, where teams that do badly get advantages for the next season, and that isn't happening soon. The FA like their money.

Just like Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Blackburn have

i stopped reading at arsenal

Arsenal have never once in their history bought the title!

Because yes, Wenger didn't buy Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Sylvain Wiltord, Dennis Bergkamp, Freddy Ljumberg, Jose Antonio Reyes, Nwankwo Kanu, Sol Campbell, and so on. I guess Gio van Bronckhorst and Junichi Inamoto don't count either. I'll even admit to actually quite liking Arsenal above the rest of the Premier League, but even though Wenger has developed a lot of players careers (and definitely since the collapse of the Invincibles). However, just like any top team, Arsenal have bought success, just like any team.

Even Cesc Fabregas, who Wenger nurtured, was brought in to Arsenal from Barcelona - another (bigger) club.

What you say is unfair. Every team buys.

But when you compare Arsenal's signings to the 30-million, 40-million offers that clubs like City, Real Madrid, and PSG make, there's a clear difference.

I don't see a problem in spending at most £15m for someone who's resale value is £35m+ or someone who potentially could win you £35m in rewards

That's just a good business strategy

I'd say all clubs buy success, that was my point. If Arsenal haven't bought success, then I don't think Real Madrid have - yes, they've spent a lot more money, but historically they've been one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world.

Still, I can see all of your points. But what City are doing now is no different to what other teams have done in the past.

I'd still argue that United's spending power was born out of success, not purely an investor coming in at random to a half-decent club and making it a superstar club.

Benfica 4-1 Vitória Setúbal (Nolito 24', Cardozo 33' 45', Matic 71'; Luisão 6' og)

Fourth match in a row Benfica scores 4 or more goals. cool.gif

Portuguese League Cup

Benfica 2-0 Santa Clara (Nélson Oliveira 68', Witsel 75')

sad.png

Kinda disappointed we didn't score 4 goals, but at least we won so I guess I should be happy. :(

Oh and ffs Barcelona beat R. Madrid again. dry.png

Swindon had an offer accepted for Oxford's Constable, their fans were abusing him endlessly and then he stayed put because he wanted to stay

Awkward!

I'm not too bothered because while he's a good player, I believe other players on our books are better. However symbolically it'd have been absolutely hilarious.

I don't think you can judge that just because teams have expensive players means they simply buy the title. When Ferguson took over Man United, his first few seasons were appalling, he pretty much got fired. But he managed to improve the team without spending a lot of money, leading to successes, and that success allowed them to spend more and more money on players creating a very strong squad. Manchester City have done it the other way around, they spent loads of money buying experienced players who are already brilliant, and then became successful. Same with Chelsea, although they were closer to the top to begin with.

It is maybe a flaw of the league that teams like United and Arsenal who become dominant stay there for so long, but the only way I can see that changing is if there is a drastic reshuffle, with a system more like the NFL, where teams that do badly get advantages for the next season, and that isn't happening soon. The FA like their money.

I think adopting an NFL-like system is difficult when you don't have anything like the Draft, but I wouldn't mind seeing a club salary cap being introduced.

Pele basically said today that Messi isn't good enough to be compared to him - slightly full of himself?

I've kind of forgotten about football while the NFL playoffs are on, but it seems Atletico are doing alright under Simeone. Beat Villareal last weekend, and a reasonably easy game against Real Sociedad tomorrow.

What's going in with Villareal, they're doing pretty poor for the standard of players they have :(

City vs Tottenham and Arsenal vs United this weekend, and tbh the tides have turned. North London are on form whilst Manchester isn't playing bad, but neither playing great. so yah

interesting however it seems van persie is losing his form slightly so we could have a good chance. Then again, away at Arsenal is always an ass.

What's going in with Villareal, they're doing pretty poor for the standard of players they have slanty.gif

I always think of them and Zaragoza as being really good but they're both terrible this season.

Although Villareal did very well last season, Guiseppe Rossi has been out since October, Nilmar hasn't played well, and they've struggled to score many goals.

They've hardly been brilliant defensively, despite having Zapata who I always bought in FM.

Pepe is and will always be a nice doggy! I'd spit in that guy's face if I had the chance

I wouldn't mind seeing a club salary cap being introduced.

Pele basically said today that Messi isn't good enough to be compared to him - slightly full of himself?

There is a salary cap in League 2 :(

And he's right. Messi isn't as good as Pele yet - Messi hasn't set a World Cup alight, or played quite as well as Pele did for as long.

And he's right. Messi isn't as good as Pele yet - Messi hasn't set a World Cup alight, or played quite as well as Pele did for as long.

Don't forget, Pele did play in an era where the players he played against weren't as good, but by the same merit his team mates weren't as good as Xavi, Iniesta and the rest. One other crucial point, Pele played his best football (And the majority of his career) at Santos, a team in an easier league than Barca are in; when he did play for the Cosmos for the last few years, his goalscoring record wasn't nearly as good, but some could argue it was because of him ageing

In my opinion, for Messi to go down as 'the best player in history' he needs to perform at international level, playing for a team that isn't built around him, the same applies for Ronaldo.

Swindon win 1-0 against Macclesfield with Crawley drawing, Cheltenham and Southend losing! Closed in the gap on the top 3, only 3 points from the top now

Don't forget, Pele did play in an era where the players he played against weren't as good, but by the same merit his team mates weren't as good as Xavi, Iniesta and the rest. One other crucial point, Pele played his best football (And the majority of his career) at Santos, a team in an easier league than Barca are in; when he did play for the Cosmos for the last few years, his goalscoring record wasn't nearly as good, but some could argue it was because of him ageing

In my opinion, for Messi to go down as 'the best player in history' he needs to perform at international level, playing for a team that isn't built around him, the same applies for Ronaldo.

1200 goals at any level is good

I have no doubts Messi can be as good, but I wouldn't judge him until his career ends. If he doesn't win a World Cup then he can't be an international legend like Pele, but will be known as one of the best players of a generation.

Atletico win again, 4-0 this time, and Falcao's hatrick means he is equal-third top goalscorer. Diego Simeone has gotten off to a better start than I expected.

Swindon win 1-0 against Macclesfield with Crawley drawing, Cheltenham and Southend losing! Closed in the gap on the top 3, only 3 points from the top now

I have no doubts Messi can be as good, but I wouldn't judge him until his career ends. If he doesn't win a World Cup then he can't be an international legend like Pele, but will be known as one of the best players of a generation.

His problem is that Argentina's players aren't Barça level. :(

His problem is that Argentina's players aren't Barça level. tongue.png

Exactly, but if he's the world's best player, he could do a lot more than he's done at internationally. For example in World Cup 2010, when he did nothing of real note. 2006 would be hard to judge since he was a lot younger and didn't play much

City vs Tottenham and Arsenal vs United this weekend, and tbh the tides have turned. North London are on form whilst Manchester isn't playing bad, but neither playing great. so yah

Well, if any tides had done any turning, they've turned right back around today. cute.png

But the City match was infuriating...

s9uRW.jpg

Rooney's having some fun

Edited by Topdog

bro spoiler that this is a family forum!!!

but its still GOLD

Anyway as it would seem Nilmar is staying in Villareal. YES

Edited by Uther

WAT+_0cc040c84642992f18437f2720d252c5.gif

How did Man City win. :(

Surprised that Liverpool went through to the final, come on Cardiff!