Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dad

Rock Vs Rap

Can we please just get past all this nonsense? It's obvious that the people who don't think that Rap is music are ignorant to the world of Hip-Hop and can't get past the surface, and it's also obvious that anyone who thinks Rock isn't music is completely stupid. Both qualify as music, and both can appeal to almost anyone if given the chance (and the right song). If we're talking about the lyricism of the two musical forms and Rapping is just talking, then Screaming is DEFINITELY not music. On the other side, if we are talking about "dancability", then Rock is equal to rap in that regard because there are a lot of Rap songs that are trash when it comes to being able to dance to them.

Neither is better than the other. I invite anyone who thinks otherwise to voice their opinions, and I'll gladly shoot them down. This needs to STOP.

*walks over*

*gets shot*

damn :wizard:

btw i dont listen to that much scream :3

*walks over*

*gets shot*

damn :wizard:

btw i dont listen to that much scream :3

Oh man it was nothing against you, I didn't even see your post when I posted mine :box:

Of course, people should be able to have their own preferences, but when talking about the faults of another genre, one should have applicable and true reasons as to why the genre isn't good.

This being said, I think Rock is harder to compose, play and even record (ever tried mic'ing an amp properly? have you looked at the tons of guitar gear or drum gear there is? The vast amount of strings with different tones? the pedals?) than rap, but in the end, it's down to what you like really. Rock is technically harder and sometimes (not always) lyrically richer than rap, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

But since when did difficulty = better music?

It doesn't, I'm just saying rock requires more talent, in the end I said that, like everything in arts, it's down to taste. But on the purely technical level, rock beats rap.

This is still not a concrete thing though. First of all, you have to account for hip hop groups such as The Roots or Gym Class Heroes, who use actual instruments to back up their music, and everything that rap artists do still requires talent. Sure there are tons of rock groups that are way more talented than most hip-hop artists, but there's just as many rock artists that are successful or produce good music who aren't very talented at all, and many rappers are much more talented them then. Since such a wide spectrum of talents can and does compose each genre of music, it's impossible to say one requires more talent than the other.

Unless the rapper in question uses Auto-Tune. Then there's no excuse. But then again, the rappers that use Auto-Tune usually write pretty terrible music anyway, at least IMO.

Definately rock. If you rap, your just talking into a rap with a dj just doing random stuff. With rock, all the instruments have to be synced to make a good sound.

I believe that they're are both great genres. It's not rap that makes me mad, it's usually the people who listen to it.

Unless the rapper in question uses Auto-Tune. Then there's no excuse. But then again, the rappers that use Auto-Tune usually write pretty terrible music anyway, at least IMO.

Ahh.. the 'ole auto-tune subject

People who use auto-tune to an extent but still use their natural voice to rap/sing are great. Many people gave a lot of crap to Kanye West for using a lot fo auto-tune in 808's, but I dare you look up Supernova with him and Mr. Hudson.. didn't expect him to have that range of vocals either.

vanilla_ice_vi.jpg

I personally don't like rap (or screamo), but whatever floats your boat.

Disregard my opinion, I don't know anything about music anyways.

Fixed for you. No one has successfully made music by just doing "random stuff".

I'm sick of the old "there's no good music being made these days". It just shows that you're ignorant to the excellent underground scenes.

"Hey ignorant guy complaining there is no good music, name a Rhianna song"

"Wtf Rhianna?"

"K name a Flo Rida song"

"Wtf bro rock all the way RIP dimebag darrell."

I love those conversations.

No one has successfully made music by just doing "random stuff".

Arguably...

Schoenberg, Cage, Webern, Berg, Schaeffer.

But nothing is spontaneous or anything. Even though many musicians of many genres have improvised good music, it's because they were able to quickly think of what to play next. If Duane Allman had just randomly played different frets, it would've sounded terrible. The DJ does not just do "random stuff" in rap, so I don't understand what he was talking about.

But nothing is spontaneous or anything. Even though many musicians of many genres have improvised good music, it's because they were able to quickly think of what to play next. If Duane Allman had just randomly played different frets, it would've sounded terrible. The DJ does not just do "random stuff" in rap, so I don't understand what he was talking about.

I just wanted an outlet for my limited but interesting knowledge of serialist and experimental composers. :wizard:

But people like Schoenberg did write music and then alter it randomly.

Like, they'd retrograde it or invert it depending on the roll of a dice or something, so it was, in a sense, random.

But I totally agree (as a music producer myself) that DJs do not just throw random stuff together to make a song.

I've seen a lot of these topics in the past, but somehow every time ROCK SEEMS TO HAVE THE MOST SUPPORT!

Apart from the fact that most rock is a LOAD OF EARBLEEDING shizzle, rap has a couple of gems up its sleeve... for instance:

LIL KIM - Beautiful sound, so awesome.

CHINGY - RIGHT THURRRRRRR. 'Nuff said.

50 CENT - This man is an absolute POET! His rhyming is so clean he could be a maid or some shizzle.

LIL WAYNE - A MILLI A MILLI A MILLI-ILLI-MILLI A MILLILAMILLI fudge YES THIS GUY IS AWEOME I COULD SPEND YEARS JUST LISTENING TO THAT SONG ALONE!

Then we look at the terrible music pumped out by various types of rock. Anyone playing Metallica, Slipknot, Megadeth, SOAD or Disturbed needs to die. Like, right now. I don't care that they're popular in your little preschool, WHAT THEY PRODUCE IS ON PAR TO THE SOUND OF A GIRAFFE DIEING!

Has anyone ever heard of a rockstar getting any chicks? Like ever? NO! That's because the rappers have the hos LINING UP!

Pssh, I've said what I came to say. Let's see what sal's has to say in return.

Dad out.

LilWayne_115606_08062008.jpg

allright, first of all

you are on the internet

any form of coolness you are trying to show people, will not work

nobody on the internet is cool, hence the shield we call the internet.

second of all, i used to like rap music, not that much anymore

but you cant be serious when you say 50 cent is a poet

he is a self-proclaimed lyricist

he does what everybody can do, just like any other rapper

it requires very little skill, but that alone doesnt make it terrible

i find myself listening to good rap from time to time, but i mostly focus on the beat and how it flows together

i cant stand the lyrics anymore, theyre rediculous

good beats -> dr dre.

nothing beats him when it comes to beats

now, the rest of your post, you gotta be kidding me, dude.

rap artists getting chicks?

ofcourse.

rock artists not getting chicks?

uhm, they also get chicks.

any famous dude can get chicks, girls go crazy over celebrities

but hey, if you want your musical preference to rely on weither or not the artists ''be gettin' some'', be my guest

just dont come here anymore with those arguments that you posted

(plus the title is misleading, you shouldve called it: ''RAP IS MUCH BETTER THAN ROCK'', because now you have people believe that you are in for a valid argument about what is better, rock or rap.)

he could probably get some dudes

not alot

but probably some

but this thread went from rock vs rap to perez hilton

thats how forums die, man!

I've seen a lot of these topics in the past, but somehow every time ROCK SEEMS TO HAVE THE MOST SUPPORT!

Apart from the fact that most rock is a LOAD OF EARBLEEDING shizzle, rap has a couple of gems up its sleeve... for instance:

LIL KIM - Beautiful sound, so awesome.

CHINGY - RIGHT THURRRRRRR. 'Nuff said.

50 CENT - This man is an absolute POET! His rhyming is so clean he could be a maid or some shizzle.

LIL WAYNE - A MILLI A MILLI A MILLI-ILLI-MILLI A MILLILAMILLI fudge YES THIS GUY IS AWEOME I COULD SPEND YEARS JUST LISTENING TO THAT SONG ALONE!

Then we look at the terrible music pumped out by various types of rock. Anyone playing Metallica, Slipknot, Megadeth, SOAD or Disturbed needs to die. Like, right now. I don't care that they're popular in your little preschool, WHAT THEY PRODUCE IS ON PAR TO THE SOUND OF A GIRAFFE DIEING!

Has anyone ever heard of a rockstar getting any chicks? Like ever? NO! That's because the rappers have the hos LINING UP!

Pssh, I've said what I came to say. Let's see what sal's has to say in return.

Dad out.

LilWayne_115606_08062008.jpg

allright, first of all

you are on the internet

any form of coolness you are trying to show people, will not work

nobody on the internet is cool, hence the shield we call the internet.

second of all, i used to like rap music, not that much anymore

but you cant be serious when you say 50 cent is a poet

he is a self-proclaimed lyricist

he does what everybody can do, just like any other rapper

it requires very little skill, but that alone doesnt make it terrible

i find myself listening to good rap from time to time, but i mostly focus on the beat and how it flows together

i cant stand the lyrics anymore, theyre rediculous

good beats -> dr dre.

nothing beats him when it comes to beats

now, the rest of your post, you gotta be kidding me, dude.

rap artists getting chicks?

ofcourse.

rock artists not getting chicks?

uhm, they also get chicks.

any famous dude can get chicks, girls go crazy over celebrities

but hey, if you want your musical preference to rely on weither or not the artists ''be gettin' some'', be my guest

just dont come here anymore with those arguments that you posted

(plus the title is misleading, you shouldve called it: ''RAP IS MUCH BETTER THAN ROCK'', because now you have people believe that you are in for a valid argument about what is better, rock or rap.)

Oh god..

Do you seriously think he was being serious?

And no more rappers with good lyrics? Listen to kid Cudi's new CD.

^ That's true. Even Perez Hilton can get chicks...

That's assuming he wants chicks.

I think we can all agree that both rock and rap win over this s**t thread.

You guys, I dared him on IRC to post this. I provided the rap artists and everything. No need to freak out.