Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lam

Slayer With Ranged

Question

Okay, so combat has been getting boring (not THAT boring) to the point where I want to range some slayer tasks. I want to get the not only the setup of a good ranger, but the mindset that goes along with it. What I mean by that is, do you bring ranged potions, use safe spots, etc. Here is my default setup, if there is something wrong with it, please post it.:

Slayer helm (charged)

Black dragonhide body

Black dragonhide chaps

Amulet of fury

Ring of life

Rune c'bow

Broad-tipped bolts

Dragonfire shield

Snakeskin boots

"Barrows" R.F.D gloves

So that's it, just post what you can answer. Ty in advance! :wizard:

7 answers to this question

Hmm, I've haven't done much ranged slaying myself (aside from metal dragons), but I do think it's a cool way to train range. In fact, the other day I stumbled upon this great guide to range slaying.

Check it out: RobinHoodie's Guide to Range Slaying.

Pretty sweet, goes through every task you can get from Sumona and Duradel and gives the setup, inventory, and strategy.

Good luck! :wizard:

Okay, so combat has been getting boring (not THAT boring) to the point where I want to range some slayer tasks. I want to get the not only the setup of a good ranger, but the mindset that goes along with it. What I mean by that is, do you bring ranged potions, use safe spots, etc. Here is my default setup, if there is something wrong with it, please post it.:

Slayer helm (charged)

Black dragonhide body

Black dragonhide chaps

Amulet of fury

Ring of life

Rune c'bow

Broad-tipped bolts

Dragonfire shield

Snakeskin boots

"Barrows" R.F.D gloves

So that's it, just post what you can answer. Ty in advance! :wizard:

Looks pretty ok for normal tasks ranger boots are just showing off :box: I just can't figure out why you would need ring of life. I'd replace it with either slayer ring (easier to get to slayer locations and one extra inventory slot) or archer(small range bonus).

The Slayer mask isn't needed unless you have a task which needs it, the slayer helmet only boosts melee.

Instead of the slayer helmet, wear an Archer Helmet.

For the rest... I'd wear an accumulator (not on your list, but I think you'll wear that).

For the most part, you should use Safe Spots when available. That's, like, the whole point of range :wizard:

If you're fighting a ranged monster like Daggannoths, which I don't think Sumona usually gives, you will need a bit of food, otherwise you might want to bring a couple of Range Potions, although I think they're pretty appositive.

If you're fighting dragons, you shouldn't need a lot of food, perhaps just 4 or so Monkfish in case you get hit, and you should have your Dragonfire Potion active at all times.

Remember if the monster is wider than you it's very easy to safespot it around corners. Honestly the only things you can't safespot are abyssal demons and jellies. Switch out ROL with archer ring, (i) if you can. It doesn't cost that much and it's worth it. Then use a blessed coif or ranger helm for your helm slot as the slayer helm's bonuses are for melee only. Bring a few pieces of food, a healer for jellies, and range potions. Also if you do get the hand of safespotting, sell the dfs and get full zammy book and karils top and bottom and armaydl helm.

[...] Also if you do get the hand of safespotting, sell the dfs and get full zammy book and karils top and bottom and armaydl helm.

If you're safe spotting, there's no point in wearing karils because it has the same ranged attack bonus as black dhide. The only thing that Karils offers is better melee defence, and that's not needed since he's using a safe spot. :wizard:

Edit: I'd also like to point out that only wear the wealth if you're killing something which has a valuable rare drop and you're looking to make a bit of money while training.. Otherwise try wearing the ranger ring to gain faster exp. The ring of wealth only helps with rare drops, and doesn't effect normal drops, which is why sometimes it's better to wear the ranger ring if you're looking for money from slayer.

Edited by Cheez