5. 5. Death penalty

• For
    • Against
    • Certain circumstances

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certainly for the death penalty, its just so much cheaper to do, and makes more sense in every way possible. You know how much money it costs to support a single individual in a high security prison for a lifetime? And don't even talk about solitary confinement. On top of that the Death Penalty would really decrease prison violence because the biggest sentiment there is simply, "They going to put me in Prison for a another lifetime, I'm already serving 12."

Death Penalty costs alot more mainly because most western Judicial systems are plagued with technicalities and loopholes. the death penalty needs some reform.

Gay Marriage: No civil unions or marriage. I think marriage in general is retarded if 2 people love eachother they shouldn't need papers to show it.

I think it's to do more with the legal benefits that come with marriage (e.g. inheritance) more than proving to other people that they love each other.

Abortion: Pro-choice

Gay Marriage: Legal Gay Marriages

Marijuana: Legal

Gun Control: Legal guns with significant limits

Death Penalty: Against/Certain circumstances Not really well enough educated on the topic.

Edited by Da Scotsman

Pro - Choice - I can't see any valid points in Pro - Life. Live in todays world, not that of the future.

Civil Unions only - Marriage is something executed by the church. As much as gays want it, you can't force it on them to marry a gay couple.

Legalised or completely banned - Go the full way either side, don't keep it in the middle.

No Guns - Other than law enforcement, there is no need for guns. Hunters can keep theirs locked away in a hunting shack, not in their houses.

Against Death Penalty - However, I also feel that probation should be given out less easily.

Geez...people still believe in that overpopulation crap.

Where overpopulation is defined as more people then miles of land. I do.

Unless they go to prison when they're two and live for an unnaturally long time, death penalty costs more.

Its those damn appeals. Here is how you do the death penalty correctly, pass the sentence in the morning, carry it out by lunch.

Edited by Demutig_wind

Oh please. If we put more people in the bigger areas I think you'd find we have plenty of space. Also, we've been "overpopulated" for four centuries. The concept isn't new, it's just the number gets bigger every 50 or so years. First it was 500 million people would destroy the Earth. Now it's 10 billion. Next thing you know it will be 50 billion.

Pro-choice

Pro-Gay marriage

Legalize Marijuana

Significant limits on guns

Against death penalty

If someone deserves to die, I'd rather see them go insane in solitary confinement than die an incredibly humane death with a nice last meal to go with it.

- I'm generally against abortion but I'm willing to make exceptions with regard to the mother risking death or severe, long lasting physical or mental trauma. Also, if there is a strong chance the child will be deformed and will suffer all his life in any way. I have yet to decide on rape or consensual incest.

- I'm for gay marriage. Who am I to force my religion down someone else's throat.

- I'm against marijuana. The same way I'm against other poisons like tobacco, heroine, cocaine...etc and call for their criminalisation. Otherwise, I will consider myself a hypocrite. It's purely for medical reasons and the preservation of human life.

- I support the right to guns but to an extent. No more than a handgun and there must be strict screening imposed on those trying to get a license. There are people out there actually calling for the right to bear automatic rifles for crying out loud. Why the hell do you need that much for self defence?

- And I am against the Death Penalty. No one has the right to remove a life in that manner. An eye for an eye simply isn't good enough and that reasoning is defunct. It will also leave the word blind. The life in imprisonment system is actually cheaper to maintain.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

- I'm for gay marriage. Who am I to force my religion down someone else's throat.

Um...that's what the civil unions option is for...:wizard:

- I support the right to guns but to an extent. No more than a handgun and there must be strict screening imposed on those trying to get a license. There are people out there actually calling for the right to bear automatic rifles for crying out loud. Why the hell do you need that much for self defence?

Just because some people want automatic weapons to be made legal isn't a legitimate reason to be against gun ownership. I'm in favor of gun ownership but I would place some greater restrictions on automatic and high-powered weapons. For self-defense, a Glock 17 should suffice quite well, and it's not so lethal as other weapons (hence, police carry it...as well as the Glock models 18-26).

Abortion - Pro-life. Third banner in the spoiler in my signature should explain.

Gay Marriage - Legal. I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to marry depending on whether you're gay or straight.

Marijuana - Illegal. Although it's better than some other drugs, it still deserves to be illegal.

Gun control - Legal guns with significant limits. Legal gun ownership would cause too much violence and there is no point in making no guns when you can just have guns with significant limits.

Death Penalty - Against. I don't see whats wrong with jail.

Edited by Guitarguy

Abortion

Pro-choice

Gay Marriage

Legal gay marriage

I don't really seem anything wrong with it. It's just marriage with the same sex.

Marijuana

Illegal

Sure, it can be used as a medicine, but I think it's side effects don't really outweigh the good. Besides, it does practically the same thing as smoking, except worse (I think :wizard: ) in some aspects.

Gun Control

Legal guns with significant limits

Death Penalty

Certain circumstances

If a guys kills 10 people, yes. If a person kills 3 people, maybe. If a person kills 1 or 2, maybe one or more life sentences. That's my view. And it won't only apply to murder (rape, etc.)

I am certainly for the death penalty, its just so much cheaper to do, and makes more sense in every way possible. You know how much money it costs to support a single individual in a high security prison for a lifetime? And don't even talk about solitary confinement. On top of that the Death Penalty would really decrease prison violence because the biggest sentiment there is simply, "They going to put me in Prison for a another lifetime, I'm already serving 12."

Capital Punishment is not cheap.

the court cases for capital punishment are super lengthy and they have to go through many expensive mandatory appeals. In the end average cost for captial punishment is 13 million (differing by state)

They have to have so many court appeals because they want to make certain they're not killing an innocent live.

it's not like the middle ages where all they had to do was chop their head off. :wizard:

Oh please. If we put more people in the bigger areas I think you'd find we have plenty of space. Also, we've been "overpopulated" for four centuries. The concept isn't new, it's just the number gets bigger every 50 or so years. First it was 500 million people would destroy the Earth. Now it's 10 billion. Next thing you know it will be 50 billion.

Who said anything about destroy the world? Its just two uncomfortable, especially if you consider being close enough to your neighbor to hear his gun when he hunts as being too close. People always crowd in the nice areas.

Capital Punishment is not cheap.

the court cases for capital punishment are super lengthy and they have to go through many expensive mandatory appeals. In the end average cost for captial punishment is 13 million (differing by state)

They have to have so many court appeals because they want to make certain they're not killing an innocent live.

it's not like the middle ages where all they had to do was chop their head off. huh.gif

An appeal without new evidence to back it up is a pure waste of money. Set the execution for a week and give them that long to appeal it. I would actually back life imprisonment if we had the inmates working hard labor to pay for their own up-keep, or were allowed to use them as human guinea pigs, basically the complete removal of human rights suits me so we can make some use out of them. That would be fine then.

And look on the other side of things, if being guilty of killing someone almost certainly assured a person that they would be executed, think how much money in court fees would be saved by

1. People actually considering murder too risky. (I'm looking at gang members and prison violence, in fact prosecutes when prosecuting prison murder fight to get perpetrators tried in a death penalty state just so they have a real penalty to give.)

2. People committing suicide due to depression.

And thats another thing, when a guy in prison tries to off-himself why the hell do we stop him, in fact why do we go through the trouble of preventing their suicide, when they are dead its less money being wasted. Depression is a sign of prison working.

Sometimes I feel our judicial system is engineered to simply be expensive and utterly ineffective. Too much politics. Too much delay. J

Justice must be swift else it is surely worthless.

Edited by Demutig_wind

An appeal without new evidence to back it up is a pure waste of money. Set the execution for a week and give them that long to appeal it. I would actually back life imprisonment if we had the inmates working hard labor to pay for their own up-keep, or were allowed to use them as human guinea pigs, basically the complete removal of human rights suits me so we can make some use out of them. That would be fine then.

To you, it's a good thing to kill someone a week after the sentence, and if not, to remove his rights and make him a lab rat? This is a hypocritical way to deal with murderers and this revenge mentality cripples society.

To you, it's a good thing to kill someone a week after the sentence, and if not, to remove his rights and make him a lab rat? This is a hypocritical way to deal with murderers and this revenge mentality cripples society.

A week is long enough to write a will I think. And its not about revenge, its just a total waste of space and money to put them in life imprisonment. Not like they have any value whatsoever after they go to prison.

A week is long enough to write a will I think. And its not about revenge, its just a total waste of space and money to put them in life imprisonment. Not like they have any value whatsoever after they go to prison.

And what if, on the day after they're dead, the prosecutor says "oh yeah, we screwed that up...turns out he's innocent."

I support it, but only in the case of ruthless and vicious murderers, I.E Ted Bundy.

Why don't we just incinerate a person as soon as they get a terminal illness as well? After all, they're just wasting space and money in the health service.

And what if, on the day after they're dead, the prosecutor says "oh yeah, we screwed that up...turns out he's innocent."

I support it, but only in the case of ruthless and vicious murderers, I.E Ted Bundy.

That argument works no matter how long you wait, 30 years after execution and then they go "Whoops! We should have waited 30 more years."

Why don't we just incinerate a person as soon as they get a terminal illness as well? After all, they're just wasting space and money in the health service.

Politics is why, I doubt most people would be able to swallow that, especially since there are always, "New treatments" to try. Even without new treatments its just bad politics.

The concept isn't new, it's just the number gets bigger every 50 or so years.

Demon Jelly, the global population doubles about every 50 years.

It does now. It wasn't in the late 18th century, however (when the concept of overpopulation was first beginning to take root).

1- Only in case of rape. Theres birth control out there if you really cant have a kid in your life.

2- No legal gay marriage.

3- Legalize. Obviously though, people must be responsible their behaviour while under the influence- just like alcohol.

4- Legalize with limits.

5- Against. Just to many people who are executed are later found to be innocent. It also costs much more to sentence someone to death than to imprison them for life in most cases.