Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HI ITS ME

3 Hours Sleep?!

Is sleeping 30 minutes every 4 hours really one of the best ways to sleep? If so, can you please provide some proof?

Thank you very much for any help.

I doubt it, seeing as you enter different stages of sleep depending on how long you've been unconscious. I don't think you enter rem sleep untill about 40 mins (i could be wrong there).

So only sleeping for 30 mins wouldnt allow your body to recharge properly. Im probably making this up bit im pretty damn sure it 'ent a healthy thing to do.

Tabtie the Evil Dentist's Accomplice speaks. Nice smile Sarah, but it doesn't fool me! :wizard:

I could never sleep for 30 minutes only, as it would probably take me longer to sleep. Powernapping just ain't mah thing! I prefer a nice, longgg sleep: )

Check out these links, it's basically what you're talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep#Bloggers

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720

Apparently, it really works. When you get adjusted to the schedule, your body enters REM sleep more quickly than it would normally, and you end up getting a better sleep in a shorter amount of time. I've always wanted to try it, but I've never gotten around to it (it's too inconvenient to find a place to sleep every four hours).

From what I've read, you're getting the most important stage of sleep, but you're still skipping important steps. I can't imagine it being very good for a teenager that is still developing.

Of course, my knowledge of it comes from a Cracked article, so this is all guesswork.

Edited by Scary Food Item

It's a pretty interesting idea that I never heard of before reading this thread. There is no way I could do it though, when I sleep I hibernate. I get into such a deep sleep, not even an alarm clock wakes me, my dad has to come in and wake me up every morning. :wizard:

As for not being healthy, I don't see why. Sure it's different but that doesn't mean it's bad. I know some really light sleepers that could probably live on that schedule. It would probably work good for someone who works 3rd shift (at night).

Interesting articles about a guy who slept 2 hours a day for 5.5 months (6 20 minute naps every 24 hours).

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/03/p...one-year-later/

It takes huge dedication and you must have a lifestyle that can handle it. Being in school or having a regular job could definitely NOT handle it.

Yup. Most people probably can't do this kind of sleep. Best way or not.

Hmm...I'd still rather sleep continuously for a long time than just take 20 minute naps. It takes me just about that time to get to sleep :wizard:

Yeah it's supposed to be all sorts of inconvenient. If you miss a single nap you'll be exhausted until the next one, and you're sleeping so often you can barely have any sort of social life or anything, unless it's really flexible.

It's interesting that it's possible, but overall I don't think it's worth trying.

I'm going to stick to sleeping 12 hours, I mean it takes 10 minuets for me to go to sleep and another 10 to get up. That and I can only sleep if I'm comfortable in my bed, So I'd have to get my pants on and everything. This ends up with me failing. Also, if I go to school I can't just say something to my teacher like: "I'm suppose to sleep right now!! Now I HAVE to wait another 4 hours! :wizard:"

This won't work.

My friend keeps saying to me that the japanese powernap a lot, hence the shape of their eyes.

Solo Sailers often learn how to sleep like this. So that while on a long trip they can rest without risking death.

I've read about sleeping to a precise number of 90 minute sleep cycles are hugely beneficial. Apparently, it's better to wake up at the end of a cycle than in the middle during REM. So you should sleep for a multiple of 1.5 hours. I've had precisely 7.5 hours sleep for the past couple of days, and it has made a huge difference to me personally. Even though I'm getting an hour less sleep than I used to, I'm feeling alot more awake and alert through the day. Getting up is easier too, I feel fully awake straight away.

Solo Sailers often learn how to sleep like this. So that while on a long trip they can rest without risking death.

Oooh.. clever... :wizard:

I wouldnt handle that too well.

Including that i go to school, which is around 7 hours, with 2 breaks which are 15 mins and 1 hour.

I wouldnt want to try that if i finished school either...

I want to have a long period awake and long sleep. (Though my sleep is around 8-9 hours every day, sometimes only 7 hours..)

(Oooh.. every sentence starts with either I or O.. :box: )

This and flying around the world non-stop are the only reasons why a person would want to sleep like this. It's probably possible, but a person's schedule is usually too full to try it.

This and flying around the world non-stop are the only reasons why a person would want to sleep like this. It's probably possible, but a person's schedule is usually too full to try it.

Or there are the people like me who are just straight up insomniacs :wizard:.