Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scary Food Item

Mormonism

It has come to my attention that a lot of people here don't really know about what Mormons believe, and have set this thread up to answer your questions. I've been part of this church for all of my life, and my family has been part of it since it was started.

Question 1: Are Mormons Christians?

Yes, absolutely. We follow the teaching of Jesus Christ, believe he is the son of God and all that good stuff. I would recommend reading this to get a good idea of our beliefs on Christ and on the beliefs of our church in general.

Question 2: Uhhhh... idk. Ask away and maybe I can expand this FAQ into an actual FAQ.

Please try to keep discussion civil and keep it a discussion. I don't enjoy heatedly debating points of doctrine.

Mormon use a changed and edited version of the Bible.

Nuff Said.

I live in a town with a 60% mormon popualtion and there good people but their book is wrong.

How do you know its wrong?

Nuff Said.

I live in a town with a 60% mormon popualtion and there good people but their book is wrong.

The Bible has been translated many times, each time with something changed or something left out. Our version of the Bible (Which is the KJV, with a few changes included in footnotes) seeks to restore the "Plain and precious" things that have been lost out of it over thousands of years.

Nuff Said.

The Bible has been translated many times, each time with something changed or something left out. Our version of the Bible (Which is the KJV, with a few changes included in footnotes) seeks to restore the "Plain and precious" things that have been lost out of it over thousands of years.

I smell a contradiction.

Well if they were lost how were they found?

Nuff Said.

I smell a contradiction.

This will require some background info. to explain.

After Jesus's death and the death of all the apostles there was no one left on Earth with God's power, so many of the rites that require it could no longer be preformed. That mean most of the work done on translating the Bible, while there was nothing wrong with it, was done without the power and influence of God, so was susceptible to human mistakes like unclear translation. After this has gone on for thousands of years, it makes sense that certain things would be lost or changed. Our translation is done with influence of God, basically saying what was left out and what needs to be fixed after 2,000 years.

Nuff Said.

I smell a contradiction.

After Jesus's death and the death of all the apostles there was no one left on Earth with God's power, so many of the rites that require it could no longer be preformed. That mean most of the work done on translating the Bible, while there was nothing wrong with it, was done without the power and influence of God, so was susceptible to human mistakes like unclear translation. After this has gone on for thousands of years, it makes sense that certain things would be lost or changed. Our translation is done with influence of God, basically saying what was left out and what needs to be fixed after 2,000 years.

God's power, huh? Do you mean that all of the apostles were equal in power to God?

Also, if everybody with "God's power" died out, how did the Mormons acquire it?

I live a mile away from the Mormon Trail Center in Omaha, and let me tell you, it's loaded with amazing statues and has a small cemetary with over a few thousand Mormon colonials buried there. I heard that they have this heirarchy within the lay people where in order to go to visit the main church in Utah, you need to be a very devout Mormon with recommendation letters and such... Why is that?

Nuff Said.

I completely and 100% agree. If Mormons were really Christians, they would know that all they need is in the Bible, and not the teachings of modern day "prophets"

the Bible has become corrupt and needs changing. \

Really? Enlighten us all.

To say that changes haven't been made to the Bible since its inception demonstrates an ignorance of European history, and the history of the Church.

Again, I don't see a lot of explaining going on here.

Nuff Said.

I completely and 100% agree. If Mormons were really Christians, they would know that all they need is in the Bible, and not the teachings of modern day "prophets"

If someone's been touched by God or thinks they know something not in the Bible or whatever, why shouldn't they add that to religion on top of the Bible?

Edited by Fruityfed

Nuff Said.

If someone's been touched by God or thinks they know something not in the Bible or whatever, why shouldn't they add that to religion on top of the Bible?

Because Jesus himself says (and I am looking for the exact verse as we speak) That everything we need, and the rest of the world needs, is already in the bible. Nothing needs to be added and nothing WILL be added to it.

Nuff Said.

Because Jesus himself says (and I am looking for the exact verse as we speak) That everything we need, and the rest of the world needs, is already in the bible. Nothing needs to be added and nothing WILL be added to it.

Here ya go (it's even in KJV!):

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Here ya go (it's even in KJV!):

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. I've been spending the last half hour combing through my bible, and I didn't think to look in Revelation -.-

I hope lilshu reads your post.

Sorry to say, but historic fact disagrees with your Bible passage. And as much as you would like to, you can't argue with fact.

Good grief man, show me the proof! You keep saying "I'm sorry, but you're wrong" and have no way of backing it up. "You can't argue with fact" what fact?

Sorry to say, but historic fact disagrees with your Bible passage. And as much as you would like to, you can't argue with fact.

Good grief man, show me the proof! You keep saying "I'm sorry, but you're wrong" and have no way of backing it up. "You can't argue with fact" what fact?

The Bible is one book in million where you can look for knowledge. The Bible has teachings of moral rights, I guess you could say, and various ancient prophecies and histories, but it does not contain everything that humans will ever need to know, especially in our understanding of nature and the universe.

By the by, I thought most Christians don't believe that the Bible is the only book humans need? I know, certainly, that there are saints and other important religious leaders that have added to their religion

By the by, I thought most Christians don't believe that the Bible is the only book humans need? I know, certainly, that there are saints and other important religious leaders that have added to their religion

the Bible is all Christians need for salvation. However, the bible does not teach us to shun all forms of literature, you are correct -.-

But, we are not like all other religions. We Christians do not add to our religion.

Nuff Said.

I smell a contradiction.

God's power, huh? Do you mean that all of the apostles were equal in power to God?

Also, if everybody with "God's power" died out, how did the Mormons acquire it?

http://mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beli...n-of-the-gospel

I live a mile away from the Mormon Trail Center in Omaha, and let me tell you, it's loaded with amazing statues and has a small cemetary with over a few thousand Mormon colonials buried there. I heard that they have this heirarchy within the lay people where in order to go to visit the main church in Utah, you need to be a very devout Mormon with recommendation letters and such... Why is that?
Perhaps the "main church" you heard about is the conference center. It's where we hold our general conference every year and a lot of other important meeting. You need to be a member to attend most of the meetings (I think, I know you have to be at least 8), but you can take a tour of it whenever you like, and I would recommend that if you're ever in Salt Lake. It's really a pretty building.

And the recommendation letters, you're thinking of temples. There are ~140 temples throughout the world, and they're where we preform our most sacred ceremonies. To get in, yes you do need a recommend signed by your leaders. Every member is expected to get one and attend regularly. Why? Simply because of the nature of what we do in the temple it's not open to everyone.

Right, let's get some cold, hard Catholic arguments now shall we?

In the Book of Mormon, Page 1 states the following...

"The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ."

How is the LDS suppose to sell this as fact despite the contradiction to The Letter of Saint Paul to the Galatians which states...

8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel to you other than that which we have preached, let him be anathema.

9 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach (to you) a gospel other than the one that we preached to you, let that one be anathema

Such a message was so important that it was re-emphasised twice by Saint Paul. No Mormon so far has managed to successfully answer this. Mormons do claim that Moroni is an angel, and we know for sure that not one of the original apostles ever preached the 'Book of Mormon'. How then, can Mormons ever reconcile this, since it is clearly evident that the very roots of Mormonism are in direct contradiction of Holy Scripture?

Wrong. A Church Jesus himself founded in God's name (whether he is God or not, we are certain he established a Church in God's name) cannot become apostate and most importantly fail in the administering of the rights and sacraments established by God. Observe...

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and behold, I am with you all days, even until the consummation of the world.

A Church in every day, in every century, until the end of time. Why then do some deny his words by saying his Church apostatized shortly after the last Apostle died? Aren't they again calling him a liar?

And I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

One of my favourite verses in the Bible. Not only does it establish the papacy but more importantly stress that the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against his universal Church. This means it will not be destroyed from within or from without. Why then, do some insist the gates did prevail by saying the Church apostatized soon after the last Apostle died? Do they call Jesus a liar by saying these things?

And I will ask the Father and He will give you another advocate to dwell with you forever.

Forever sounds like a very long time to me. Why then do some insist it is not true? Did the Holy Spirit leave the Church which Jesus Christ founded? Did the miracle of Pentacost fail? Did Jesus lie yet again?

To Him be glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus down through all the ages of time without end.

Doesn't this say that the Church which Jesus Christ founded will last forever?

Apostasy and corruption? If the LDS really preaches that said things happened to the Church then they preach either Christ's failure and/or lie. Explain please.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Using George Lucas's wise words, "I have a bad feeling about this".

Be sure to keep it civil, all of you, please.

Pft, all of you Christians, Jews and Muslims have it all wrong. The only true supreme being is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and it is sad that you don't embrace him and his noodley appendages. Maybe in the future you will embrace Him, the Flying Spaghetti Monster. We are Pastafarians... And the FSM is Great.

Though, you are entitled to your own beliefs... Even if they are not true.

~Vincent

Meh, I respect mormons. I just find it extremely annoying when they come knocking.