Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jagneb

Flag Burning

That's when I realized flag burning is something that cannot be legal in the country of the flag's origin.

I definitely agree with this. There isn't really an excuse about burning your country's flag. The flag represents your country, and burning it disrespects your country.

If I want to disrespect my country, I will. I don't, usually, but I don't see how disrespecting something as trivial as that is such a problem. It's a flag. It's nothing important.

To be honest, most of the time I think that this concept of countries is being slowly broken down by tools such as the internet, which, in my opinion, is a great thing. It may eventually harm ancient customs, but it will stop this bickering about which country is best.

Which yes, I partake in, and have been slapped on the wrist for it on this forum itself. I'm trying not to join in with it now, though :)

That's when I realized flag burning is something that cannot be legal in the country of the flag's origin.

I definitely agree with this. There isn't really an excuse about burning your country's flag. The flag represents your country, and burning it disrespects your country.

That's the point of flag burning. -.- And why shouldn't people be allowed to disrespect their country? :)

I agree entirely. Isn't is actually worse to burn the flag of another country than your own? If it shows disrespect; maybe even racism or prejudice towards that country, isn't that a worse thing than burning your own country?

All that burning a flag says to me is that you don't have any time for the crap they say. I wouldn't burn the English flag, but I'd be tempted to burn a Labour logo (and possibly most of the political parties in England) as I think they're the ones who messed England up (apart from people like me :P), but if you're an outsider looking in you'll probably just see that we're crap. Like I have no knowledge of Irani politics, for example.

Although, to D-Jizzy, or those who feel the same way, I have a question to ask. I'd answer the question myself, but as I said, I don't really have any national pride to speak of so I can't really. Marcus Brigstocke said that "America is based on the very best of ideals, the only problem is that it's broken". I'm not sure how true you think that statement is, but it leads me to my question; "If the country to which you've pledged all of this pride and support were doing something that you thought was utterly detestable and against all of your principles, would you still feel the same amount of pride in that country?"

I do not take pride in national borders, but in national heritage. So no, I would not be as proud of America if it did something blatantly foolish (Iraq comes to mind, as well as WWI).

Why is it always America? I mean its not like taliban did anything to start the war right?

I mean they only blew up 2 buildings put hundreds of people through a horrible death. (being incinerated, burned alive by jet fuel, falling off the top of a sky scraper, getting hit by a jet liners) No biggie right?

that was Al-Qaeda

Why is it always America? I mean its not like taliban did anything to start the war right?

I mean they only blew up 2 buildings put hundreds of people through a horrible death. (being incinerated, burned alive by jet fuel, falling off the top of a sky scraper, getting hit by a jet liners) No biggie right?

that was Al-Qaeda

Fixed point still remains though.

When you burn a flag that is an attack on all the ideals, history and people the country stood for. It is the highest insult one can make to a country and if done as a statement to the government, then it is a misdirection.

It is the same as burning a pile of Bibles/Qur'ans/Torahs. It is a desecration of all those dead who fought for the ideals the country stood for. There is no insult possible which is greater then it. And for any who support the country and what it stands for that they live in, it is a personal insult to them and it is expected that they feel insulted.

It is like burning a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. on Martin Luther King day because you think the civil rights movement has gone beyond the seek for equality and is attempting to garner inequality favoring Blacks. Very inappropriate.

Edited by Demutig_wind

When you burn a flag that is an attack on all the ideals, history and people the country stood for. It is the highest insult one can make to a country and if done as a statement to the government, then it is a misdirection.

It's not the highest insult, although I think you're spot on with the first sentence. The highest insult would be to actually harm the country - who gives a crap about some poxy flag?

Seeing people burn flags only proves to me once again that there are people out there who are too lazy and idiotic to contribute anything to the national interests and arguments of a nation. Instead of spending their time and energy actual producing something to change the nation such as civil debates on the issues or pieces of legislation that can be passed, they choose to dwell in he violence and lunacy of burning something to make a point.

That is the hallmark of anarchy and mob politics. People who choose to burn and destroy things rather that propose actual solutions. If you hate the country, leave it. But staying there just to burn the flag or the place makes you look like the idiot.

I don't really see the flag as that big of a symbol either way but this ties in with that debate on democracy. It's always going to be the majority and the majority wouldn't burn a flag which represents their country but that's down to what they see the flag as. To me, it's just another bit of cotton, we don't need flags to remind people who/where we are. I think you are being a little bit to general, I would burn a flag but that doesn't mean i'm to lazy to contribute anything, just to young really -.-!

Would you burn a Bible or Quran because you can and it doesn't mean anything to you. It's just that act of respect really by refraining to do so due to your knowledge that it means something to other people. By all means, protest and voice your concerns but don't play with fire. Especially with regards to things people care about.

Would you burn a Bible or Quran because you can and it doesn't mean anything to you. It's just that act of respect really by refraining to do so due to your knowledge that it means something to other people. By all means, protest and voice your concerns but don't play with fire. Especially with regards to things people care about.

Do you care about my bible, the one I'm holding right here? Bibles are mass produced in factories. The one I have is one of 100s of millions.

I don't really value symbols that much at all.

Do you care about my bible, the one I'm holding right here? Bibles are mass produced in factories. The one I have is one of 100s of millions.

Number 1 - You own a Bible Kwinten? That's something I didn't expect TBH. -.- U must explain that to me sometime or another.

Number 2 - What does burning a religious book signify? It signifies your sheer hate, ill will and lack of respect to everything the book stands for. It's basically spitting at the religion and it's followers. Not only that, it shows the type of person the burner is because he would rather burn, an act of hate and spite, instead of calmly questioning the religion in an open forum with logical arguments.

Now you may not feel strongly about the book but many people do. They don't feel for the book itself but what it signifies which is the profession of their faith and ideals. The same thing goes for a flag. It's better not to do it than offend the people who care about the flag. That is the hallmarks of a civilisation. When we actually care about the feelings of our fellow man an instead of being disrespectful to their beliefs, we challenge them if a civilised manner that doesn't offend the bearer of said beliefs.

Number 1 - You own a Bible Kwinten? That's something I didn't expect TBH. -.- U must explain that to me sometime or another.

Number 2 - What does burning a religious book signify? It signifies your sheer hate, ill will and lack of respect to everything the book stands for. It's basically spitting at the religion and it's followers. Not only that, it shows the type of person the burner is because he would rather burn, an act of hate and spite, instead of calmly questioning the religion in an open forum with logical arguments.

1 - I was raised pretty much Catholic, my parents are agnostic or something inbetween atheist and religious, and I go to a Catholic school so we gotta have a bible.

2 - But what if I burn the book or the flag without any of those motives? Does that also mean I disrespect you? (not something I would do, I see no reason to)

Yes but why would you fully knowing full well what that symbol means to people. That's like committing a crime but with no intention of malice or good. You did it for the sake of doing it. It still hurts people regardless of your intentions.

If you burnt a Bible like that I would be greatly offended Kwinten. Number 1 because you did it for the sake of doing it hence there's no rational reason why it should have been done and 2 because you thought very little on the symbol that Bible is to many Christians, including myself and what it means. Remember that saying that somethings are best left unsaid? well they should have added some things are best left undone too.

Just on a side note, since you go to a Catholic school, how's the experience? Knowing your views, I suspect you ask the rector or priest alot of questions on the Catholic faith yes? -.- Any sufficient answers or is it just Latin to you? I'm just interested on the state of the faith and it's defence mechanisms in Europe.

It's not the highest insult, although I think you're spot on with the first sentence. The highest insult would be to actually harm the country - who gives a crap about some poxy flag?

Have you ever heard the phrase "Adding insult to injury"? Actually harming someone is different from disrespecting them. So it just might be the highest level of disrespect

I support burning the American Flag as i have acctually done it.

BURN BABY BURN!

Why would you make such an idiotic post in a serious topic... -.-

In my opinion, there are better ways to voice your opinion than burning your countries' flag, also, it's an extreme sign of disrespect.

Disrespect is fine, no one can force everyone to respect one thing. If someone disrespects a country and it's ways to go to the point of burning the flag, so be it. A law against that is a huge freedom of speech violation in my opinion.

BURN BABY BURN!

In my opinion, there are better ways to voice your opinion than burning your countries' flag, also, it's an extreme sign of disrespect.

Hmm, I hardly think that we should censor or restrict ourselves over the fact that it "disrespects" or "insults" someone. Basically, almost every one of your actions would insult one person or other on this crazy planet of ours, all I can really say is "So what?"... You find it insulting, so ignore it for heavens sake (That wasen't directed at you, btw. It was an open comment to the floor)!

Sure, there are better things one can do with their time, but those "better" things are all relative. The actions of others that don't pose a significant threat to our security or safety should be left to whom they will. It's no business of ours really... And let's face it, a flag being burnt; there are far more pressing world matters going on that deserve your attention. As Stephen Fry said, "It's idiotic how people can focus what must be 100% of all their fury over the fact that they've lost a sock or can't find their keys; yet they can ignore all of the horrific injustice that goes on all around us daily" (I may have paraphrased that quotation, It's from memory, not a piece of text so some words could be wrong)

Edited by Nihilus

BURN BABY BURN!

You apparently don't understand.

He only makes idiotic posts.

@TTT: Excellent point. It's disrespectful to force respect.

Yes but why would you fully knowing full well what that symbol means to people. That's like committing a crime but with no intention of malice or good. You did it for the sake of doing it. It still hurts people regardless of your intentions.

If you burnt a Bible like that I would be greatly offended Kwinten. Number 1 because you did it for the sake of doing it hence there's no rational reason why it should have been done and 2 because you thought very little on the symbol that Bible is to many Christians, including myself and what it means. Remember that saying that somethings are best left unsaid? well they should have added some things are best left undone too.

I can understand your point and I agree to some degree, but I don't think that just because you burn or break something, it means you have no respect for everything the religion ever stood for or for all the people that follow that religion.

Same applies for flags, but religion is sort of trickier. Just because you burn a flag it doesn't mean you disrespect everything the country has ever done, or all the people that live in it. Disrespect could also be because you're against the government or something.

Just on a side note, since you go to a Catholic school, how's the experience? Knowing your views, I suspect you ask the rector or priest alot of questions on the Catholic faith yes? -.- Any sufficient answers or is it just Latin to you? I'm just interested on the state of the faith and it's defence mechanisms in Europe.

Fortunately our school isn't that deeply catholic and especially not conservative and very open minded. Religion class fortunately isn't all about faith, but more like a lesson in morals (although I don't find that really necessairy).

I do ask questions when the teacher (current one is in fact a priest) starts talking about faith. The answers are very typical, and he never really gets to a good conclusion. For example, if I ask him why he has faith, he simply answers that this world could not have been possibly created by a greater entity. When I ask him why he seems to KNOW why that entity, if it exists, is the god he believes in, he just says he has faith and that is the reason. Always goes to these kinds of cycle arguments.

Another example. He says that Jesus has taught us how to be a good human in the image of our creator, then he says something that always annoys me. He claims that only through religion one can make the best moral decisions (or simply that christians make better moral decisions than non-believers). Now that is what gets me kind of angry. He doesn't even give reasons why, other than 'because they have accepted Christ in their lives'. He never wants to answer me if I ask if I'm an immoral person that has an evil look on life and can't choose for myself.

A flag in any country symbolizes the values they stand for. Burning it symbolizes that you disrespect those values. If you hate your country so much that it makes you want to burn your country's flag, then you should just leave. This is one thing that aggravates me so much about people, is when they complain about things they can change. I don't agree 100% with my country's ideas and policies, but I still respect them. However, once I am of legal age, I do plan to move to another country that matches my values more.

If you wake up every morning and you are still alive, then don't disrespect your country. Their military kept you safe throughout the night.

~~Samarkov -.-

A flag in any country symbolizes the values they stand for. Burning it symbolizes that you disrespect those values. If you hate your country so much that it makes you want to burn your country's flag, then you should just leave. This is one thing that aggravates me so much about people, is when they complain about things they can change. I don't agree 100% with my country's ideas and policies, but I still respect them. However, once I am of legal age, I do plan to move to another country that matches my values more.

If you wake up every morning and you are still alive, then don't disrespect your country. Their military kept you safe throughout the night.

~~Samarkov -.-

If you don't agree with your country's policies and ideas, still respecting them is a foolish thing to do.

~~Samarkov -.-

If you don't agree with your country's policies and ideas, still respecting them is a foolish thing to do.

What he said. People who still respect their country's policies and ideas even if they disagree with them are called sheep. What about when the US had Slavery? People had to fight that. Segregation laws? People fought that too. Strong people in society are those who fight for change, not those who 'respect them anyways'.

~~Samarkov -.-

What he said. People who still respect their country's policies and ideas even if they disagree with them are called sheep. What about when the US had Slavery? People had to fight that. Segregation laws? People fought that too. Strong people in society are those who fight for change, not those who 'respect them anyways'.

If you don't respect your country then move to another one. Your country will be happy to give you a passport and the other country will be happy to give you a citizenship. If you don't like a country enough to at least respect its flag then how dare you live on its lands.

If you don't respect your country then move to another one. Your country will be happy to give you a passport and the other country will be happy to give you a citizenship. If you don't like a country enough to at least respect its flag then how dare you live on its lands.

You don't choose where you're born. Do you think everybody has the money to move?

Who ever said you have to like a country in order to be able to live there?

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. ~George Bernard Shaw

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography. ~George Santayana

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them! ~Albert Einstein