Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Entrility

Suicide

I'm looking for specific examples of stories where a somewhat prominent character commits suicide in order to better those around him or her. Like for example, the classic scenario of someone taking the bullet in order to save others. Self-sacrifice where the one who sacrifices dies. Specific stories are what I'm looking for.

I do need a link to them, if you can provide that would be really great. Thanks~

Oh, also would help to discuss your views on whether suicide/self sacrifice is morally acceptable. Yes/no?

(not in debate room because not intended as a debate)

Edited by Entrility

As a recent movie, didn't something like that happen in a matter of sorts in Seven Pounds?

I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're looking for, though.

Suicide is a personal topic for me. My aunt shot herself in the head, and I'd rather not talk about the details.

Some people just don't understand what it puts your family through.

Edited by Morte

Guest Emanick

Suicide is morally acceptable, but only if you do so to save others. Nobody has the right to slay themselves.

Are we talking nonfiction or fiction here, or just nonfiction? Either way, these probably qualify. Not too much information there, but plenty of keywords.

Suicide is morally acceptable, but only if you do so to save others. Nobody has the right to slay themselves.

Are we talking nonfiction or fiction here, or just nonfiction? Either way, these probably qualify. Not too much information there, but plenty of keywords.

First DuBois in Starship Troopers says man has no inherent right to life, now Emanick says man has no inherent right to death by his own hand.

Actually, that's an interesting thought.

Armageddon (1998)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/

Plot spoiler below.

Main character stays on an asteroid thats flying towards the earth to blow it up because the nuke broke and has to be detonated by hand and the rest of his crew leaves and he stays to blow it up and save the world.

In terms of god, yes god led the Israelites into battle which is thus leading some into suicide for the greater good.

Edited by b0b2oo0

Since we all keep saying movies, I'm going to go for the big one:

spock1.jpg

The needs of the many.... -.-

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

But it's ok, he comes back in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock.

Hitler commited suicide, and although he did not do it directly to better the life of others, his death had a huge impact on others.

Edited by uhhh

Why kill yourself? I never will understand but people have other reasonings.

I think it's stupid & It shows what little respect you have for life.

Point Blank.

You can check out Neil Gaiman's comic "Death, the high cost of living" which is about just that

i was reading it yesterday and it is a perfect example although it's pure fiction

everyone has that right to make that choice for himself

don't tell others what to do and what to not do thank you

if you want to live by that rule, be my guest, but don't force it on others will you

if you want to live by that rule, be my guest, but don't force it on others will you

That's completely dependant upon your beliefs. If you're a Christian, you will believe that life is a gift given by God, it's sacred, and no, people don't have the right to take the life of anyone, including themselves. If you're Atheist, then life has no meaning, it's worthless, and there's really no reason to live or die besides possibly a little enjoyment while you're alive.

There's one point you have to consider, though, no matter what your religion: the effect it has on those around you. Whether or not you have the right to choose whether or not to keep your own life, do you have the right to put others through that much pain?

As far as sacrificing your own life to save others, I doubt anyone here will say that's immoral in any way. Now if there was another way to do the same thing...that depends on the situation, and there are some that really have no good answer.

Edited by Yippee

There's one point you have to consider, though, no matter what your religion: the effect it has on those around you. Whether or not you have the right to choose whether or not to keep your own life, do you have the right to put others through that much pain?

that is irrelevant

do you have the right to dump your girl/boyfriend if you don't feel good about the relation?

that hurts the other person too

and most likely a lot

i think a person should be able to make that choice for himself

weighing the pros and cons, and when he has come to the conclusion and makes his choice in thought and deed he must suffer the consequences of that decision

whatever the decision may be

i'm quite adamant on letting people make their own decisions

even big ones like death

Why kill yourself? I never will understand but people have other reasonings.

I think it's stupid & It shows what little respect you have for life.

Point Blank.

Try saying that to an extremely depressed person then see how they react.

But for an example, I'd say deep impact is quite a nice source.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647/

Similar to Armageddon

Eagle Eye.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059786/

Thomas Morgan dies so that the bombing plane that is after him and Jerry does not kill them both, and Jerry can still go off to the capitol to warn of the president's assassination, and the death of hundreds of people.

Gran Torino

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

Walt Kowalski sacrifices his life in order to save a Hmong family that is being harassed by a gang. He shows up at their house suggesting that he will kill them, waits for witnesses to come out and call the police, acts like he is going to pull out a gun, but only takes out a lighter. The gang opens much fire on him and kills him. The gang is arrested for life.

And this is NOT a debate, guys. I know it's kinda hard not to reply to those who have already brought a debate into this thread, but just try to resist.

Edited by Twist of Fate

Look up a film called Blade Runner, in the end, a character allows himself to die so that the main character would, somewhat, understand the marvel that life is.

Since we all keep saying movies, I'm going to go for the big one:

spock1.jpg

The needs of the many.... -.-

Great movie tbh.

In I Am Legend, Will Smith's character commits suicide to save New York.

That's a terrible description of what happened. He puts the woman and the child in some kind of attic, then runs towards the vampires with a frag grenade in his hand (althought the explosion after that isn't the one from a frag grenade, but whatever). New York is lost already, because there is nobody left there. He does it to save the woman and the child (and to save the cure).

A Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist monk burned himself to death at a busy Saigon road on 11 June 1963 whilst protesting against the persecution of Buddhists.

Wiki Entry