Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskas

Briton To Be Executed For Smuggling Drugs

And psychiatrists and psychologists are not that hard to fool anyway, especially when they ask their patients how they feel and would rather get them to do their job than actually doing the work they are paid to do.

You've got no idea what you're talking about. You're just throwing out the same uneducated views that you always do. -.-

What do you mean, uneducated views I always do??!

Would you like to explain that before I really get annoyed? If you haven't noticed this is a RUNESCAPE forum, not a legal or medical journal so how in your inestimable arrogance can you tell people to be educated to the specific intricacies of everything debated here?

This is a debate/general discussion forum, where I am allowed to put my views across and unfortunately so are you.

If I go to a doctor and tell him that I am depressed chances are I will be given a load of pills to take, this is a lazy system and one that should be stopped. I am not medically certified to make a personal diagnosis but it seems to be a growing problem everywhere. The same situation exists with psychiatrists where any sociopath can read a book, get a list of symptoms and fool anyone and it has happened many times, most famously by Ted Bundy who told them exactly what they wanted to hear before his execution in 1989.

Take the case of the Fred West, the builder who buried women in his house, at one point he even tried to make out he was being contacted by their spirits to try to shift the blame to someone else. Would you like to hear about how the Son of Sam in NY 1979 sent letters to newspapers telling them that devil dogs made him kill people?

When are people going to simply tell criminals to cut the crap and take responsibility regardless of where it leads?

Maybe my rant has gone off on a tangent, put it is an important point to consider, did the "doctors" declare this man incompetent before or after he was arrested, and if it was before then why did they allow him to go to China?

Have you ever went to a psychiatrist for depression? Trust me its not just a I need pills doc scenario.. Its a several week process of counseling. Same for any other medical illness.

This is not the 80's anymore things change.

Right, clearly this tack is not getting us anywhere so lets try a different one.

What would you have the Chinese government, who are perfectly entitled to make and govern their own laws to do?

Would you have them simply let this man off with a slap on the wrist and open the floodgates for everyone else to make insanity their plea for innocence in the future or make it be known that if you break their laws you will not get away with it regardless of who you are?

(Maybe like that cousin of Thatcher who helped in an African coup a few years ago and got off with a fine that really means nothing to his deep pockets and a worthless 4 year suspended sentence...if any real person had done that without powerful political connections they would've been executed)

And in answer to your above comment Lilshu I do not have any particular disdain for upper class or the educated, I only have disdain for the idea that it somehow makes someone better than another.

Yup, the Chinese would do something like that. Seriously, execution? No way. I'm sure that the EU will stop it, or, if not, there is always the SAS, GSG-9 and the French Legion -.-

I seriously doubt that it is going to go through... And execution for that? Way, way, way, way, way, way overboard.

~Vincent

Right, clearly this tack is not getting us anywhere so lets try a different one.

What would you have the Chinese government, who are perfectly entitled to make and govern their own laws to do?

Would you have them simply let this man off with a slap on the wrist and open the floodgates for everyone else to make insanity their plea for innocence in the future or make it be known that if you break their laws you will not get away with it regardless of who you are?

(Maybe like that cousin of Thatcher who helped in an African coup a few years ago and got off with a fine that really means nothing to his deep pockets and a worthless 4 year suspended sentence...if any real person had done that without powerful political connections they would've been executed)

And in answer to your above comment Lilshu I do not have any particular disdain for upper class or the educated, I only have disdain for the idea that it somehow makes someone better than another.

Maybe something a little better then execution?

5 years in jail if they have too. But anything is better then killing the man.

The punishment just doesn't fit the crime.

And how exactly will this work in your perfect magical land where everyone is innocent if they simply tell a psychiatrist that they are insane to get away with carrying 4 kilo of heroin through airports?

How do you intend to punish those who actually deserve it when absolutely no one is capable of accepting any kind of responsibility for their own actions but rather blames the bogey man for everything?

If they ever catch these people who duped him will you argue that they are simply a product of their environment and their people were working and subjugated on the American railroads and are therefore somehow allowed to break laws?

What we do now is what matters, not what is past...you can use your past as a reason but never an excuse.

And how exactly will this work in your perfect magical land where everyone is innocent if they simply tell a psychiatrist that they are insane to get away with carrying 4 kilo of heroin through airports?

How do you intend to punish those who actually deserve it when absolutely no one is capable of accepting any kind of responsibility for their own actions but rather blames the bogey man for everything?

If they ever catch these people who duped him will you argue that they are simply a product of their environment and their people were working and subjugated on the American railroads and are therefore somehow allowed to break laws?

What we do now is what matters, not what is past...you can use your past as a reason but never an excuse.

You have no idea whether or not the man is insane. Have you personally talked to and observed him?

Your logic is flawed. I, too, agree that people use insanity as an excuse quite often. However, that does not mean that they always do. I cannot see how you can support a death sentence for a man simply because you choose to assume that he is a fraud. Once again: You have never met him, you do not know whether or not he is attempting to defraud the Chinese government. Most people choose to follow the principle of innocence until guilt has been proven. In this case, however, you have chosen to follow the opposite principle. And that is the principle that leads to the execution of the innocent.

If you do nothing else, please answer this question in a yes or no manner:

Do you have any proof that the man does not suffer from a mental illness that causes his judgement to be impaired to the point that he could easily be taken advantage of in a manner as described in the article?

Sparhawke I really can't wait until something happens to you in your black and white life because sure as hell I'm going to be pushing you even further into the mud the moment you slip.

Actually buddy, you're completely right. Because someone is mentally ill we should execute them on the spot. Waste of bloody tax and the gene pool. Remind me spar, how many children you have?

The fact of the matter is that he is mentally ill right now. He was mentally ill then, and he will be in the future.

So he is using his present mental illness as an excuse right now.

Sparhawke I really can't wait until something happens to you in your black and white life because sure as hell I'm going to be pushing you even further into the mud the moment you slip.

Actually buddy, you're completely right. Because someone is mentally ill we should execute them on the spot. Waste of bloody tax and the gene pool. Remind me spar, how many children you have?

Too far? Dont bring the kiddies into this.. -.-

You have no idea whether or not the man is insane. Have you personally talked to and observed him?

Your logic is flawed. I, too, agree that people use insanity as an excuse quite often. However, that does not mean that they always do. I cannot see how you can support a death sentence for a man simply because you choose to assume that he is a fraud. Once again: You have never met him, you do not know whether or not he is attempting to defraud the Chinese government. Most people choose to follow the principle of innocence until guilt has been proven. In this case, however, you have chosen to follow the opposite principle. And that is the principle that leads to the execution of the innocent.

Do you have any proof that the man does not suffer from a mental illness that causes his judgement to be impaired to the point that he could easily be taken advantage of in a manner as described in the article?

Of course I have never met him, and I assume that you haven't either yet you keep claiming that he should be let off simply because someone now claims he has a bi-polar disorder. Regardless of whether you have any disorder at all DOES NOT excuse you, if you don't like the death penalty simply lock him up for 40 years then in a hell prison. That will be much better -.-

I have done things wrong in my past just like everyone else, yet I took responsibility for those things and never make excuses. If I am raised in a really bad situation and I grow up and take it out on someone else, I have no one else to blame but myself.

I didn't mean "put them down" as to mean to execute someone that people keep wanting to go back to constantly, I meant it to mean make sure that he never does it again.

Execution, prison...it amounts to the same thing.

And why would I have to remind you of how many kids I have? I never once even told you in the first place.

Excuse, excuse, excuse...why must everything be excused?

Here is a question...

If this man was not in full control of his faculties how the hell did he manage to get hold of a trip to China in order to get hold of this bag?

Not one person has answered this question, if he truly is bi-polar then doctors should be monitoring him all the time, even if it just for check-ups...wouldn't he then have yelled from the rooftops that he was going to save the world? (Which would've got him a golden ticket to the asylum anyway)

People keep saying he is not competent, but he managed to get to China didn't he?

Edited by Sparhawke

Of course I have never met him, and I assume that you haven't either yet you keep claiming that he should be let off simply because someone now claims he has a bi-polar disorder. Regardless of whether you have any disorder at all DOES NOT excuse you, if you don't like the death penalty simply lock him up for 40 years then in a hell prison. That will be much better -.-

There's a difference between my stance and yours. If I'm wrong and things go my way, he gets off. If you're wrong and things go your way, an innocent man is executed. I'd trade another drug dealer on the streets for an innocent human life any day.

And if you'll notice, I never claimed he should be let off. I simply acknowledged the point that there is a possibility that he truly does suffer from a mental disorder (unlike you). Your statements were extremely reckless and rash, seeing as you claimed he was guilty from the start.

tl;dr version: acknowledging possibility of innocence =/= claiming he is innocent.

And are you really claiming that no mental disorder whatsoever excuses you for your actions? I'm sorry, but that sounds so disillusioned. You're honestly telling me that if I put a severely mentally handicapped man on a plan with a suitcase full of drugs it would be his fault? :)

EDIT: And I think Definition was making a joke, not a serious point. Although it was surprisingly fitting considering the statements you've been making.

Edited by heb0

I have done things wrong in my past just like everyone else, yet I took responsibility for those things and never make excuses. If I am raised in a really bad situation and I grow up and take it out on someone else, I have no one else to blame but myself.

And what mental illness do you have?

Good god you've solved the problems of prisons over filling; we'll just shoot them all on the spot - the moment the trial has finished. Same thing right?

And why would I have to remind you of how many kids I have? I never once even told you in the first place.

Sorry if that confused you sweetie pie, how many children of perfect nature have you contributed to the human race? I quote "...for the good of the human gene pool." if you are at liberty to make such comments I feel perfectly entitled to ask how much you have contributed to the continuation of the human race?

Edited by Magical

I didn't mean "put them down" as to mean to execute someone that people keep wanting to go back to constantly, I meant it to mean make sure that he never does it again.

Excuse, excuse, excuse...why must everything be excused?

Here is a question...

If this man was not in full control of his faculties how the hell did he manage to get hold of a trip to China in order to get hold of this bag?

Not one person has answered this question, if he truly is bi-polar then doctors should be monitoring him all the time, even if it just for check-ups...wouldn't he then have yelled from the rooftops that he was going to save the world? (Which would've got him a golden ticket to the asylum anyway)

People keep saying he is not competent, but he managed to get to China didn't he?

How do you know he is not monitored all the time? Or do you just assume just because he has a mental illness he is dangerous to society? He was tricked into doing this without him knowing that is the whole point of all this.

You act like were saying everyone should be able to do this.. Were not saying that but this man has a mental illness and was essentially put in the wrong place at the wrong time and used to get drugs into the country without him knowing.

And a execution is beyond extreme for a substance that technically never even got onto the streets even if it did that is way overboard. If the man gets punished fine but don't kill him.

And are you really claiming that no mental disorder whatsoever excuses you for your actions? I'm sorry, but that sounds so disillusioned. You're honestly telling me that if I put a severely mentally handicapped man on a plan with a suitcase full of drugs it would be his fault? -.-

EDIT: And I think Definition was making a joke, not a serious point. Although it was surprisingly fitting considering the statements you've been making.

*Sigh*

If you put a seriously mentally handicapped man on a plane that would be obvious.

This man took himself to China, after first meeting some random bloke in Poland...that is not the kind of thing a severely mentally handicapped man does.

http://www.reprieve.org.uk/akmalshaikh

If you read that statement you will see that they didn't even know that he had a serious mental condition, having only just uncovered it. Why are they uncovering it, shouldn't that be the job of his doctors?

Akmal has a lifelong history of very strange behaviour, and Reprieve has uncovered vital evidence that he suffers from an extremely serious mental condition.

Sorry if that confused you sweetie pie, how many children of perfect nature have you contributed to the human race? I quote "...for the good of the human gene pool." if you are at liberty to make such comments I feel perfectly entitled to ask how much you have contributed to the continuation of the human race?

I am not perfect, I know that so how could I expect any offspring to be perfect "sweetie"?

Since you seem to be so interested in my personal life I have no kids, simply because of personal choice.

This is all academic anyway, China is allowed to make its own laws and when you enter the country you are subject to those laws. You cannot turn around and say "sorry love, I don't speak Chinese" and expect them to let you go. And you cannot expect to get any help from your own country in these matters.

Edited by Sparhawke

And are you really claiming that no mental disorder whatsoever excuses you for your actions? I'm sorry, but that sounds so disillusioned. You're honestly telling me that if I put a severely mentally handicapped man on a plan with a suitcase full of drugs it would be his fault? -.-

*Sigh*

If you put a seriously mentally handicapped man on a plane that would be obvious.

This man took himself to China, after first meeting some random bloke in Poland...that is not the kind of thing a severely mentally handicapped man does.

If you read that statement you will see that they didn't even know that he had a serious mental condition, having only just uncovered it. Why are they uncovering it, shouldn't that be the job of his doctors?

Akmal has a lifelong history of very strange behaviour, and Reprieve has uncovered vital evidence that he suffers from an extremely serious mental condition.

Shouldn't that tell you something that this was a preexisting condition?

From BBC News:

Apparently - he is a diagnosed bipolar ...

-.-

There's more to this story than meets the eye.

Edited by Blyaunte

*Sigh*

You were the one that made the statement, not I. I was simply giving an example to argue against the statement you made that read:

Regardless of whether you have any disorder at all DOES NOT excuse you

I read the article, and from the looks of things, they have more evidence to prove that he does suffer from a mental condition than you have to prove he doesn't. That's enough to instill reasonable doubt in me, because I'm not so hasty to dismiss what could potentially be a justifiable claim as a fraud attempt.

I am not perfect, I know that so how could I expect any offspring to be perfect "sweetie"?

Since you seem to be so interested in my personal life I have no kids, simply because of personal choice.

Well honey, that only proves two things, you are monumentally stupid and should be put down for the good of the human gene pool.

He was given a half-hour trial -- and was sentenced to death on the same day ...

Hell - did they even have time to put on the Kangaroo suits? -.-

He was given a half-hour trial -- and was sentenced to death on the same day ...

The turn around time of being arrested to being executed is very small in China. Efficient you might say.

Exactly my thoughts this whole thing was a joke. Nothing more then to make an example out of foreigners.

From BBC News:

-.-

Being diagnosed is quite different from "suffering from" which are the words that report actually uses :)

In all this time not a single doctor in the world who actually diagnosed him before he went to China has been found, which is what I have issue with at the end of the day.

With a claim of mental illness you have at least to be able to say you have it before you need to use it as a reason for carrying a load of class A drugs on a plane. Where are the psychiatrists that supposedly said he had it?

The reason why drug barons use vulnerable people of all types is because they can easily be thrown away...they don't care whether one man is caught and executed. And the way they convince you is to get you to be trusting.

Edited by Sparhawke

If there is a viable possibility a man might be innocent you spend more than a half hour trial on it.

From BBC News:

-.-

Being diagnosed is quite different from "suffering from" which are the words that report actually uses :)

In all this time not a single doctor in the world who actually diagnosed him before he went to China has been found, which is what I have issue with at the end of the day.

With a claim of mental illness you have at least to be able to say you have it before you need to use it as a reason for carrying a load of class A drugs on a plane. Where are the psychiatrists that supposedly said he had it?

It could be argued that no sane man would literally walk onto a plane with 4kilos of Class A drugs with no attempt at even disguising the drugs; at least, I didn't see any reference to them being disguised, didn't read it accurately.

From BBC News:

-.-

It could be argued that no sane man would literally walk onto a plane with 4kilos of Class A drugs with no attempt at even disguising the drugs; at least, I didn't see any reference to them being disguised, didn't read it accurately.

It is a little awkward to hide 4 kilos of heroin anywhere in a bag and by trying you simply make it even more obvious that you are carrying as you cannot easily hide it in the stitching or encase it in lead line briefcases...it is also quite possible that this man was a decoy...throw away 4 kilo of product and while everyone is making a big noise about this guy slip through 10 others carrying.