Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scrum

Concentration Problems

Hey Sal's, I'm having concentration issues at the moment which basically mean I can't work for very long because I just get bored and either start being sarcastic in my work or stop working. This is a problem, as in the next month I have a load of Science exams and a very big ICT project due in.

I also figured that there were a lot of relationship threads in here and this would make a welcome break.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve my concentration?

Take regular breaks.

That's the best advice I can think of. Take a break every 30-90 minutes while studying. As far as school, I don't know what to tell you -.-

Take regular breaks.

That's the best advice I can think of. Take a break every 30-90 minutes while studying. As far as school, I don't know what to tell you -.-

The main problem is the breaks, when I go to do one I can't be bothered working again.

My other problem is procrastination, I had a load of work to do tonight and last night which I've hardly started. I'm about to do it now but yeah

Do you have a certain attention disorder? Have you already tested for them? I used to have the exact same problem, and I got help for it because I have some SERIOUS ADD.

If not, then you might just want to introduce different things into your study routine that keeps it from being so monotonous. Listening to music, which provides you with a constant change in surrounding sound environment, can help your brain stay alert.

You also might want to learn what your learning style is, whether it be Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic/Tactile. You can take a quiz here. Depending on your styles, you might be able to use habits (tapping a foot, music, etc.) to help you while you learn. For instance, I'm a Visual/Kinesthetic learner, so I learn much better while I tap a foot, use flash cards/visual cues, or dance while memorizing.

I would agree with Foxtrot. You should take breaks - but you may be doing them wrong. Taking a break longer than 15 minutes might place you in an activity that will eat up your time and cause you to procrastinate even more. Keep your breaks restricted to things like quick snacks, a walk around the house, and the like.

Do you have a planner? I have found that if I put all of my planned activities down in a hour-by-hour breakdown, then I have a much larger chance at getting things done. Also, remember your priorities. While Sal's is awesome, I would contend that you probably need to work on your homework before you get on, so you don't have the temptation to stay "just 5 more minutes".

Do you have a certain attention disorder? Have you already tested for them? I used to have the exact same problem, and I got help for it because I have some SERIOUS ADD.

If not, then you might just want to introduce different things into your study routine that keeps it from being so monotonous. Listening to music, which provides you with a constant change in surrounding sound environment, can help your brain stay alert.

You also might want to learn what your learning style is, whether it be Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic/Tactile. You can take a quiz here. Depending on your styles, you might be able to use habits (tapping a foot, music, etc.) to help you while you learn. For instance, I'm a Visual/Kinesthetic learner, so I learn much better while I tap a foot, use flash cards/visual cues, or dance while memorizing.

I would agree with Foxtrot. You should take breaks - but you may be doing them wrong. Taking a break longer than 15 minutes might place you in an activity that will eat up your time and cause you to procrastinate even more. Keep your breaks restricted to things like quick snacks, a walk around the house, and the like.

Do you have a planner? I have found that if I put all of my planned activities down in a hour-by-hour breakdown, then I have a much larger chance at getting things done. Also, remember your priorities. While Sal's is awesome, I would contend that you probably need to work on your homework before you get on, so you don't have the temptation to stay "just 5 more minutes".

I've never been told to be tested for an attention disorder, I can actually focus but when I can't be bothered I find it harder.

For example last night I was doing Biology homework for 2 hours and within the first 10 minutes my brain reverted to sarcasm mode, and my whole homework turned into a running joke. My teacher likes it (she read it today) but it's not exactly the best habit to get into with exams coming up -.-.

I know what kind of learner I am already (I'm more of a sound or visual learner), which means I can remember things by making them into little songs or poems which I sing obnoxiously sometimes. This includes the conjugation of the French verb Aller, why I don't have my P.E Kit, my German speaking exam, and stuff about Churches in Nazi Germany. They generally help but I take things in from my environment quite easily. My main problem is actually getting round to doing the work. :)

You're going through puberty. You probably have too much stuff on your mind too, so of course you have concentration problems. There's nothing you can really do about it though. I have it too, and so does every other teenager.

You're going through puberty. You probably have too much stuff on your mind too, so of course you have concentration problems. There's nothing you can really do about it though. I have it too, and so does every other teenager.

Not Justin Bieber -.-

I didn't realise that it was puberty though. It makes sense now.

Get older, it gets better. It's not something you can fight really, kind of an individual thing too. You need to find what keeps your mind on stuff.

Not Justin Bieber -.-

Eh I would see a doctor about it. I doubt its puberty i've never heard of people losing concentration do to puberty.

Not Justin Bieber -.-

Eh I would see a doctor about it. I doubt its puberty i've never heard of people losing concentration do to puberty.

I was about to say the same thing... Unless your preggers, I don't see a reason why your focus should be impeded that much by hormones.

Not Justin Bieber -.-

I have two sisters who had quite some concentration problems too at school during their puberty. They have now grown out of that and are doing just fine in college. I have some trouble concentrating too, but I know the cause. Not just puberty, but just a person that I just can't stop thinking of is probably kind of a factor too. Often the cause is just something that's on your mind or some distractions like games, etc. The only thing you can do is ive yourself some serious limits on those distractions, and taking frequent short breaks.

I have ADHD. So you should get tested for it, it'll help to find out.

Some Tips:

Don't study near a Bed, your brain will go into a sleep mode.

Study somewhere quiet with nothing that will distract you EG the Computer.

Study for 50 minutes and have a 10 minute break, your brain will then memorise the facts.

Sleep every 2 hours or so for 20 minutes. Helps memory!

Some Tips:

Study for 50 minutes and have a 10 minute break, your brain will then memorise the facts.

Sorry but that sleeping thing is the worst thing you could do. Do you feel fresh and ready to concentrate on some school stuff right after you've woken up?

Not Justin Bieber -.-

Well people prescribe ADD/ADHD medicine willy nilly at any sight of concentration problems (especially around this age) then I wouldn't doubt that it's a factor.

I am not really sure what your problem is. You might not even have one, homework is boring. -.-

Guess you can try taking some naps and doing some exercises to get some extra blood flow. Try taking some multi vitamins. I don't think you should drink energy drinks. I just stick with juice, water, silk and milk. Hope this helps you.

I think eating fish might help too.

Some Tips:

Sorry but that sleeping thing is the worst thing you could do. Do you feel fresh and ready to concentrate on some school stuff right after you've woken up?

I do, usually, if I Mathematics in the morning I feel best for it, even if I have it last I still do it well. I'm a Maths fan. -.-

Edit: another tip. :)

Refresh yourself with some hot water, as in splash some on your face after each hour.

Edited by Lord Earthy

Some Tips:

I do, usually, if I Mathematics in the morning I feel best for it, even if I have it last I still do it well. I'm a Maths fan. -.-

Refresh yourself with some hot water, as in splash some on your face after each hour.

Wouldn't that burn your face?

Some Tips:

I do, usually, if I Mathematics in the morning I feel best for it, even if I have it last I still do it well. I'm a Maths fan. :)

Wouldn't that burn your face?

Obviously not really hot, just slightly warm :P

Thanks for your tips everyone -.-

Smoke cigarettes!

+1.

Still it's not for everyone I suppose. A few cigarettes at the pub and mellows me out after a hard day at work/brothel.

I dont really get much problems about concentration, but to times i start playing games on my phone.

But i have noticed this:

When reading, turn off music, it will make you concentrate on the text.

And when reading, do not think of unrelated things like what you did yesterday or when the world is going under.

When doing homework not including much reading its ok to listen to music. To some times it may accelerate thinking.

Just so you know, this is said from someone with an average grade of 4,6 out of a scale from 1 to 6. (However its not proving my true potential like my memory and creativity and technical skills.)

This is just what i see it as, it doesnt necessarily work for others.

I had simliar problems, and I spoke to my family doctor. He prescribed me Adderall, and my mind was blown. This pill does absolute wonders, but as always, has some minor side-effects. I highly recommend it. When I am on it, I pretty much love doing everything I normally had trouble doing in the first place. I am not sure of your age, but I would wait until you are at least 18, and your body maturing rate starts to slow down.