Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Keegan

Life On Other Planets

Feel free to come in and contribute to the current discussion or go ahead and post something new. Any theories about the universe are welcome here.

Things I'd rather not have talked about:

• Religion. The Proof of God thread would be a better place to discuss this. If it is essential to your post, you can include it.
  • I might add to this.

You don't have to read my theory if you want to post something, it's just here for anyone who wants to.

My theory:

I believe that microbial life is very common in the universe, and may have developed in our own solar system already. On earth there are perfect examples of this. They are called Extremophiles. They thrive in all kinds of environments that we would never expect life to prosper in. But complex animal life is something very rare and precious in the universe. There are countless things it needs to thrive and Earth manages to have them all.

Here are some things that based on our only knowledge of intelligent life (here on Earth of course), that a planet would need to harbor complex animal life.

Right distance from the orbit star: Allows liquid water, the right temperature.

The right mass of the orbit star: Long enough life time (intelligent life tends to evolve at a very slow pace).

Other planets having stable orbits: Planets could collide.

The right mass: Needs to be able to retain at atmosphere, but there also has to be enough heat for plate tectonics to occur.

A good Jupiter( A planet with enough mass to pull in comets and asteroids, but not to far away and not to close)

Large moon: A large moon stabilizes the tilt.

The right tilt: If the tilt is off, seasons can be very severe.

Very few giant impacts

The right amount of carbon

The right kind of galaxy: Enough metals (any element heavier then helium).

There are many other things that a planet needs to develop life, these are just a few.

I got most of this information from books, but especially Rare Earth.

Edited by Chosen

We've yet to see proof of that, but it is possible.

I just find it extremely rediculous on how we portray aliens in media nowadays---short green people who have advanced technology that looks like tin cans, "Take me to your lee-ader earthling" and the ever-present, Conqueror Distinction.

To be honest, we have no idea. They could be 2 feet tall or 30 feet tall. I don't know where to start thinking for imagining how species from other planets would look.

Edited by Chosen

Guest Emanick
Well... with literally billions of planets in the universe I think that there's no way we can be the only ones. I believe there is intelligent life on other planets.

Taking a scientific standpoint, the odds are actually against the chances of life developing on more than one planet out of quintillions, even assuming one out of ten had the same qualities Earth has and a comparable amount of time to develop life. It's not remotely the case that there's "no way" we can be the only ones.

Even if there was no God, I don't think there would be anything else out there. The numbers just don't crunch out that way.

Well... with literally billions of planets in the universe I think that there's no way we can be the only ones. I believe there is intelligent life on other planets.

Taking a scientific standpoint, the odds are actually against the chances of life developing on more than one planet out of quintillions, even assuming one out of ten had the same qualities Earth has and a comparable amount of time to develop life. It's not remotely the case that there's "no way" we can be the only ones.

Even if there was no God, I don't think there would be anything else out there. The numbers just don't crunch out that way.

How are the odds against us? And don't assume every species lives and functions the way that we do.

I think there is life on other planets. Hopefully it is intelligent.

We could always use a another partner to help us out and maybe an enemy to unite us finally.

I find it incredibly hard (and quite arrogant) to believe that those other life forms on other planets would be anything like the way we define life, let alone be humanoid. Seriously, stop the humanoid alien bullcrap.

If it hasn't contacted us yet, it's definitely intelligent. -.-

If it hasn't contacted us yet, it's definitely intelligent. :)

... or, at least, more intelligent than we are ... -.-

Edited by Blyaunte

If the universe is infinite, there is almost certainly life on other planets. If the universe is infinite, then there is also by mathematical chance an Earth just like this one far off some where (with the same people and all) and also variations of Earths. So in some Earths, Kennedy may never have been assassinated or you could have died at an early age.

That's all hypothetical because we don't know if the universe is infinite. But if it is the universe has intelligent life in it. I doubt that those intelligent people have visited Earth before though.

If the universe is infinite, there is almost certainly life on other planets. If the universe is infinite, then there is also by mathematical chance an Earth just like this one far off some where (with the same people and all) and also variations of Earths. So in some Earths, Kennedy may never have been assassinated or you could have died at an early age.

That's all hypothetical because we don't know if the universe is infinite. But if it is the universe has intelligent life in it. I doubt that those intelligent people have visited Earth before though.

Remember Earth is 4.6 Billion years old. There could have been other inhabitants.

There are a few theroies about the size of the universe:

-The universe is constantly expanding (but into what?)

-The universe has a very precise mass that doesn't fluctuate.

The universe isn't infinite, but at least according to the data we can receive from light given off billions of years ago, it has been expanding faster and faster.

This makes supporting it coming back to crash on us again unlikely.

Yes, there are other life forms on other Planets, they have to be. Some of them are good and some of them are the Evil ones. But being alone currently sucks. I want to meet an Extraterrstrial form!

Maybe the universe isn't infinite, but even if it's not then it's still really big. The chances of intelligent life in such a big area is high.

Maybe the universe isn't infinite, but even if it's not then it's still really big. The chances of intelligent life in such a big area is high.

That's kind of the approach I've taken to it also.

The Universe lives on. It has been living for billions of years! There are about 53,000,000 Galaxies, but not each one has a solar system, most do.

Like possible worlds in modal logic and the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics?

EVEN if there was no god?????

my, my...

If it hasn't contacted us yet, it's definitely intelligent. -.-

Haha, made me lol! (for real!)

anyway, i've already explained here once that it's logical that even if there are aliens, it's logical that they haven't found us yet (or they must know a way to bend space/light)

i'm certain that there is life out there, but i'm also certain that it's probably not as 'smart' as us...

Our planet is special. It is one of the very very VERY few planets with the correct conditions to even begin to support life. If there is life on other planets(it would definitly have to be from out side of the solar system or even outside the milky way)I doubt the life forms would be as complex as we are.

Our planet is special. It is one of the very very VERY few planets with the correct conditions to even begin to support life. If there is life on other planets(it would definitly have to be from out side of the solar system or even outside the milky way)I doubt the life forms would be as complex as we are.

well, if i'm not mistaken

all there was needed was hydrogen, nitrogen, oxigen and carbon atoms, and a very high heat, which isn't that rare at all, to form amino acids, which are the basics of life.

well, if i'm not mistaken

all there was needed was hydrogen, nitrogen, oxigen and carbon atoms, and a very high heat, which isn't that rare at all, to form amino acids, which are the basics of life.

aye

did it myself once at school or uni

easy as pie

but still I don't understadn why people remain so rigid as to seeing potential life only as we know it here on earth

Edited by Egghebrecht

Our planet supports life by our definitions. Earthly laws of physics and chemistry do not apply on every planet in the universe.

Our planet supports life by our definitions. Earthly laws of physics and chemistry do not apply on every planet in the universe.

So you are saying that the laws of physics we know today only apply to Earth?

So you are saying that the laws of physics we know today only apply to Earth?

Newton's law of gravity doesn't apply on Jupiter, if that's what you're asking. The physical laws that exist on earth do not exist anywhere else. They are either completely absent, or in a different form (gravity, for example, exists on the moon, but with a lower but consistent amount of force/mass pulling you to the surface).

And the lack of an atmosphere matters greatly too.

Edited by Kwinten

How do we know we havent already found it?

Although the chances are high.

Billions of galaxies holding billions of stars with billions of solar systems with billions of planets.

Why not?

We might even have one among us.