Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emo Nemo

Should Hijacked Aircraft Be Shot Down?

I was just thinking about 9/11 and was wondering should hijacked planes be shot down before they reach their destination.

My arguments for this is that the people on these planes are most likely to die anyways.

It lowers what the destruction could be.

Edited by Emo_Nemo

They should be shot down if there's legit proof they won't do any damage on the ground. Like if they shoot down a hijacked plane over the city, it could do so much worse damage than if it hit a single tower.

If they know what they're doing, they can shoot it down.

I don't think we should. Assuming we have the skyjackers demands or ransom and can't rescue the innocent people, I say we just admit we lost and give them their ransom or whatever as long as the hostages are safe. Then just become better prepared for next time.

I think the people on board would rather die because we failed to save them instead of choosing not to save them.

If the aircraft poses a threat to more people than those aboard, then yes, it should be shot down to ultimately save lives.

I don't think we should. Assuming we have the skyjackers demands or ransom and can't rescue the innocent people, I say we just admit we lost and give them their ransom or whatever as long as the hostages are safe. Then just become better prepared for next time.

I think the people on board would rather die because we failed to save them instead of choosing not to save them.

That's stupid because they usually don't ask for ransom, but rather the release of prisoners or withdrawal from [insert country here].

I don't understand what your saying these people have no demands for ransoms and how would they take a ransom in the air anyways. Taking the plane down would result in loss of life but could save hundreds/thousands of others.

The people involved in 9/11 didnt really demand anything straight up. Shoot it down.

I think it's better safe than sorry. Frankly, if the hijackers are planning on crashing the plane into even so much as the ground, well, if it's over a populated area, the people inside are going to die one way or another. I don't think it should be a knee-jerk reaction, but if the hijackers are not complying, business is business bro.

Not all skyjackers plan on committing suicide. Some do have demands. If the skyjackers did decide to do a suicide run, I am not so sure we would be able to shoot it down because they are not going to flat out tell us. The only ones who would admit they skyjacked, are ones who want something. To me its either we rescue the people or give in to the demands. In the case of suicide runs though, we are almost in a lose-lose unless we get enough warning time to stop the skyjackers. Even then, I am sure its not a walk in the park.

So...not all skyjacked planes need to be shot down. If we know its a suicide run and we failed to save the hostages and we are out of time, then shoot it down. I think this should be the only case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_hijacking

only a small percentage of hijackings end with the killing of the hijacked people

because mostly it is done to get media attention/force a hand in other matters etc

killing the people only makes the authorities storm the plane (when it has landed)

if a plane however is clearly flying on a suicide course by all means take it down

but as far as I know that only ever happened on 9/11

only a small percentage of hijackings end with the killing of the hijacked people

because mostly it is done to get media attention/force a hand in other matters etc

killing the people only makes the authorities storm the plane (when it has landed)

if a plane however is clearly flying on a suicide course by all means take it down

but as far as I know that only ever happened on 9/11

It was going to happen in this event, but the French GIGN were too badass to let that happen, thanks to a necessary fuel stopover.

It's a difficult judgment call, to be honest.

I wonder -- do you think the threat of a being shot down would be sufficient to cause certain hijackers to surrender?

Would the "message" sent by shooting down a hijacked plane be sufficient to make other would-be hijackers think twice about hijacking some other plane?

:)

As I recall, one of the problems with the 9-11 attacks was that the hijackers did something extra-ordinary, in that:

1. They actually seized control of the flight of the plane, itself; and

2. In so doing, they also shut off the transponder on the aircraft that could identify and locate the plane; and

3. They shut down all communication with the flight controllers et al ...

I think that, given those above criteria, with hijackers in actual control of the plane's flight, with a transponder signal shut down in an effort to hide it's progress, etc., then it is likely a better decision to bring down the aircraft than to let it proceed further.

That said -- you ALL know that, if, as and when such an incident should occur and someone shoots down the plane, there will be second guessings of that decision till the cows come home ... -.-

Just to go back to the beginning and think about this, presumably planes that are hijacked don't get found out about. Even if they did, as people have said, the majority of the time it could end up killing more anyway. I'm obviously a fan, but stopping a hijacked plane before it's destination presumably isn't child play.

Given that the government does in fact know an aircraft is hijacked and being used as an act of terrorism, the unfortunate and ensured death of 100-200 people is a decision the authorities must make when not understanding the full extent of the situation. For all the authorities know, the plane could be stocked with massive explosives, possibly endangering the lives of thousands, to tens of thousands of people. Yes, I believe the military should strategically shoot down hijacked aircraft's.

Given that the government does in fact know an aircraft is hijacked and being used as an act of terrorism, the unfortunate and ensured death of 100-200 people is a decision the authorities must make when not understanding the full extent of the situation. For all the authorities know, the plane could be stocked with massive explosives, possibly endangering the lives of thousands, to tens of thousands of people. Yes, I believe the military should strategically shoot down hijacked aircraft's.

How are you going to get massive explosives on board of a commercial airplane? You're not even allowed to bring in a bottle of water.

How are you going to get massive explosives on board of a commercial airplane? You're not even allowed to bring in a bottle of water.

This is only my value judgment speaking, but I don't believe the government should make assumptions due to it seems impossible to be done. Nothing is impossible.

It's choices like these where I choose the take the Catholic stance on the matter. In this case, the Doctrine of Double effect.

The Doctrine of Double Effect is a principle in the Catholic Church started in the writings of Doctor of the Faith and Philosopher St Thomas Aquinas (in his treatment of homicidal self-defense found in his famous work, the Summa Theologica).

This set of criteria states that an action having foreseen harmful effects practically inseparable from the good effect is justifiable if upon satisfaction of the following:

* the nature of the act is itself good, or at least morally neutral;

* the agent intends the good effect and not the bad either as a means to the good or as an end itself;

* the good effect outweighs the bad effect in circumstances sufficiently grave to justify causing the bad effect and the agent exercises due diligence to minimize the harm.

I strongly believe that if all options have been considered and there is really no way the hijackers can be negotiated with or the plane recovered then it is the moral obligation of us to shoot that plane down. If the plane is speeding towards a target with potentially deadly consequences for many more lives on the ground then what choice do we have?

Especially with regards to groups like Al Qaeda who cannot be negotiated with like that. They will try to crash the plane and cause carnage regardless of any form of dialogue and threat. The type of people who would do such a thing as hijack a civilian aircraft for terrorism are long gone and brainwashed into believing their hateful ideologies.

It's sad to contemplate but that is the facts sadly. If death and destruction is to occur despite our best actions then the best we can do is keep it to a minimum.

Guest Emanick

The planes should be shot down if, and only if, the plane approaches a city of significant size, or any other possible "target" where many lives might be lost when the plane crashes. It's not worth risking the lives of people on the ground/in a building when the people inside the plane will die anyway, but it's always possible that the people inside the plane will regain control of the aircraft before it crashes, and as much time as possible should be given to the passengers in case they're able to pull it off.

This is a really interesting question.

To me I believe it ultimately falls down to what are the intentions of the Hijackers.

If they are planning on useing the hijacked plane as a weapon, then yes, I believe it should be shot down. The people aboard are going to die, there is no need for more people to die aswell.

If they plan on landing the plane, to refuel it, thereby giving an assault by law enforcement officals a chance to take place and rescue the hostages, then no, I do not believe it should be shot down.

It also depends on other circumstances. Are there people onboard who are trained to takecare of such situations when they arise?

So yes, in certain circumstances, I believe that hijacked planes should be shot down.

~John

It completely depends on the situation - as put beautifully by John Adams.

As

I think if the hijackers are planning to crash into something, or do something that would kill more people than would die if they shot the plane down, yes.

If they just wanted money or something, no.