Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
-Propellent-

Weird Experience --- Does Anyone Know What It's Called?

So it was 10 pm and I'm in my bed almost falling to sleep when all of a sudden I feel like I'm falling or something and it wasn't a dream. I can sense that it wasn't a dream. So then I'm falling and I feel like I landed on something and my body started to shake (no, I am not having a seizure) OK so I started shaking and that woke me up but then I realize that I'm in my bed and nothing atually happened....at least I think it is that way. Has anyone experience this before? What is it???

It happens to me too, but rarely, without the shaking. I'm just about to go to sleep when I feel like I'm falling or some weird feeling that you're not on anything, which lasts for a little less than a second and I wake up.

That happens to me from time to time when falling asleep, although not as violently as you described. I'd heard something about myoclonic jerks similar to what the Wikipedia article that beatyourfish posted said, though I had thought it was something to do with your brain interpreting your slowed heartbeat and breathing as dying.

Was it more like a jerk or was it actually prolonged shaking?

Edited by heb0

In the middle of my sleep, sometimes, when I'm dreaming about something and I happen to fall I always end up shaking my leg to try to, "catch myself from falling."

I don't think its anything to worry about.

So it was 10 pm and I'm in my bed almost falling to sleep when all of a sudden I feel like I'm falling or something and it wasn't a dream. I can sense that it wasn't a dream. So then I'm falling and I feel like I landed on something and my body started to shake (no, I am not having a seizure) OK so I started shaking and that woke me up but then I realize that I'm in my bed and nothing atually happened....at least I think it is that way. Has anyone experience this before? What is it???

Love the RS Name -- btw.

I get the falling sensation from time to time but never accompanied by shaking. Are you sure it wasn't a pre-REM occurrence?

I get that feeling, too. Personally, I think it's the coolest feeling ever and always say, "Woah!" afterward. I always clench my pillow when it happens, too. I've never shaken like you have though. It feels like a mix between skydiving and getting a ton of water washed over you.

That happens to me from time to time when falling asleep, although not as violently as you described. I'd heard something about myoclonic jerks similar to what the Wikipedia article that beatyourfish posted said, though I had thought it was something to do with your brain interpreting your slowed heartbeat and breathing as dying.

Was it more like a jerk or was it actually prolonged shaking?

Your exactly right there... The brain can and often does interpret sleep as death and shakes something to make sure your still there... :rolleyes: That was probably what the OP was experiencing.

Happened to me a few times before... but without the shaking. I get that kind of queezy feeling like when I'm falling then I wake up I tought I was falling off my bed the first time it happened to me then ended up infact, falling off my bed. Rather scary the first couple of times it happened to you.

I get it a lot. Awake, not sleeping, but you start falling asleep and feel like you are falling, then a few seconds later you tremor for a second or two and it's done. It's crazy.

lol i love those kind of dreams well it depends.

one dream i always seem to have is me riding on a bike and for some reason the front tire stops nd i fall head first.

lolwtf.

Sometimes when I'm dozing off, I suddenly wake up. It's a similar feeling to accidently missing a step on a staircase.

Is this what you mean?

The hypnic sleep jerk, I think it's called. I think it happens because the feeling your muscles relaxing as you fall asleep is similar to the sensation of weightlessness you get when you fall.

I most recently got it on a bus full of basketball team mates. Only one of them saw it. :rolleyes:

It's strange feeling and I've had many, lol

here's more on what they are.

thanks to wiki,

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, or night start is an involuntary myoclonic twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as the subject is beginning to fall asleep. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" made when a person is startled,[1] often accompanied by a falling sensation.[2] It is commonly caused by irregular sleep schedules.[3]

[edit] Origins

The neurological reason for hypnic jerks is not fully understood, although the two dominant theories suggest that as a subject's heartbeat and breathing slow down, hypnic jerks occur as a natural part of muscular transition;[4] or that as a subject falls asleep, their muscles begin to relax and cease working, causing the brain to believe that the body must be falling through air. It is thought that this causes people to thrash their limbs in an attempt to catch something or turn oneself upright.[4]

[edit] Occurrence

Hypnic jerks are usually felt once or twice per night. More regular, and usually less intense, hypnic jerks often occur during normal sleep. In extreme cases, however, this is classified as a disorder called periodic limb movement. People with the disorder usually sleep through these events.

When a subject is deprived of sleep and is trying to fight sleep, hypnic jerks can sometimes occur more frequently. This normally happens to subjects who have deprived themselves of sleep for longer than 24 hours, or to those who have recently awakened after insufficient sleep.

---

hope that helps :rolleyes: