Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Skiller

80's, 90's Rap Is 10x Better Than Todays.

So, i was having this discussion with some friends. I was on the side that said, all the rap and hip-hop/hyphy music from the 80s and 90s would absolutely destroy most of today's artists. Of course, there were some exceptions that i said, such as Jay-Z(i think hes awesome). But, guys like Lil Wayne, Eminem(bad ass), and others are nothing compared to Run Dmc, Tupac, Biggie Smalls.

So, i was your opinions. Here are the questions.

Do you believe the rap/hiphop/hyphy songs from the 80s and 90s is better than present day songs of the same genre?

If so, why? If not, why?

If you can, go in depth,don't just say: 80's and 90's, because it just is.

Thats boring, explain your opinion.

My opinion: 80's and 90's music would roll over todays music. Mainly because they had more flow back then and actually put good words together and got into the songs.

If you don't know any 80s 90s songs here are some examples:

Those are 80s and 90s music, and imo, some of the more well known songs. ^ ^ ^ ^

Present day music

Jay-Z: Empire state of mind(featuring Alicia Keys)

Bob Brackins-143(featuring Ray-J)

Thanks

I never understood rap...seems like a load of swearing, hoes, guns etc.... And it sounds flat. Though I probably think that way partly because It's hardly popular here...Saying that, I'm impressed by some of the lyrics I've heard from 90s rap, but maybe it's just I heard the best one's. :rolleyes:

Ah, yes, the usual "OMFG IT WAS BETTER BACK THEN".

Realise this: here and now, in 2010, you have as examples of '80s and '90s music only what has been deemed decent enough to remember, whereas now you listen to everything that comes out, which may or may not suck.

So, between a selection of the best songs of the past and the sum of today's songs, of course the past appears to be of higher quality. But that's just because lots of horrible, horrible music that came out in the past has been thankfully forgotten. If you took the Top 40 list of every month in a decade and listened to most of those songs, you'd find yourself saying "what the hell is this I don't even".

"It was better back then" is an illusion, almost always. People tend to forget the bad things and emphasise the good ones.

You know what is truly interesting is 20 years from now people are going to say the same damn thing.

oh 10' and 20s' rap was so much better then todays.

eminem is one of the best ever he isnt all about guns and ho's yes alot of them like lil wayne arnt great but still everyone has there good and bad times.

Realise this: here and now, in 2010, you have as examples of '80s and '90s music only what has been deemed decent enough to remember, whereas now you listen to everything that comes out, which may or may not suck.

So, between a selection of the best songs of the past and the sum of today's songs, of course the past appears to be of higher quality. But that's just because lots of horrible, horrible music that came out in the past has been thankfully forgotten. If you took the Top 40 list of every month in a decade and listened to most of those songs, you'd find yourself saying "what the hell is this I don't even".

"It was better back then" is an illusion, almost always. People tend to forget the bad things and emphasise the good ones.

I believe we had a brief discussion about this in my blog a few months back. :rolleyes: I agree to an extent that music of the past seems better because we don't know the worst music from back then, but at the same time we have to compare the best of each time period to eachother. Who were considered to be "the best" artists of the 80's and 90's? Who are now "the best" artists? If you think the best of back then trumps the best of today, then you probably would like former. If you think the best of back then is worse than the best of today, then you would probably enjoy the latter.

For the most part, I do not enjoy rap of any kind; instrumentals are almost virtually ruled out (I understand that this isn't the case for some older versions of it), and good vocals are nonexistant. It seems more like fast-paced poetry: it has a beat, it rhymes, but there's no musical connotation to it.

Well, i've seen the top 40, actually top 100, according to Vh1, and other sites. Most of the songs i knew, and enjoyed as did the like...100,000 fans that voted for the songs, possibly more. So, yes if you took ALL the songs from back in the 80s and 90s you would have some bad ones, but there are "bad" ones nowadays too.

Music today has taken so much from previous generations I'm not so sure there is much of a difference. Previous generations of music can't roll over today's music because if people wanted to make music that way and people wanted to listen to music like that we would of made it happen either way. I love ballads but the majority holds it and you make what sells, even if you or me think it's bullshizzle it's still what people want to hear more of.

I never understood rap...seems like a load of swearing, hoes, guns etc....
To be honest, that just about sums up every song in every genre. With some exceptions, but most of it has a stupid theme it plays into. For instance if I were to say RAWR RAWR, DEATH DEATH, SLIT MY WRISTS AND SUCK MY BLOOD. There are already songs pouring into my head.

Well, i've seen the top 40, actually top 100, according to Vh1, and other sites. Most of the songs i knew, and enjoyed as did the like...100,000 fans that voted for the songs, possibly more. So, yes if you took ALL the songs from back in the 80s and 90s you would have some bad ones, but there are "bad" ones nowadays too.

Best songs definitely does not mean the most popular songs.

Best songs definitely does not mean the most popular songs

Best is most popular?

The fans voted for which ones they found the best, or the most popular. The best songs of the 90's are probably the most popular

I wrote a Persuasive Essay on how 2Pac was better than today's Rappers, haha.

This was recently too. I agree though, I think Old School Rap is better. Even though I still like songs/artists from Today's Rap.

But really the only songs that really get really popular are not the best ones imo, like Lollipop by Lil Wayne. I hate that song because there are much other better songs by him.

back then the beats were good, the rapping was flow, and you understood what they said.

take The Chronic by Dr Dre for example. The beats were good, good flow and you understood him. Theres a song from the album called Deeez Nuuuts, but the

is awesome

Now rappers use their beats from other songs....other songs otherpeople made.

like lil john, soulja boy and all those other rappers just talk about money, girls, money, girls and talking about how cool they are.

yeah girls are cool and all but comon, after a whole album of that gets old.

yeah the 80-90s talked about all that, but they didnt do it as much. plus they made it up with the sick beats.

but yeah, there are some good rap songs out there now, but its about 50 out of every other song.

Edited by Rude Rocko

All music is art.

Trying to say that 90's rap is better than modern rap is like trying to say that the Baroque period was better than the Romantic period. They aren't comparable like that. They are entirely separate. Now some people might prefer one type over the other, but intrinsically, they are equal.

"Forsooth, stop, collaborateth and listen!"

I listen to both new and old rap... I enjoy both, but there's nothing like Public Enemy and Run DMC. Any of those, I'll listen to all day! I do enjoy some new rap artists: Jay-Z, Eminem, Usher, and Timbaland...

Yes, I know some of these artists are repetative like one of the first posters mentioned, but I still like them.

Old School Owns!!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by -D0m1n4tr1x-

Run DMC is pretty cool. You be I'llin!

2pac not really.

Biggie, Ya but Mac Dre had some pretty sick song so did N.W.A and a few others

I do enjoy some new rap artists: Jay-Z, Eminem, Usher, and Timbaland..

Wait, did you just call Timbaland and Usher rap artists???

/facepalm

Anyways I personally can't stand new rap because it's far to soft for my taste but it doesn't make it any worse everyone has there own opinion and obviously in lots of peoples opinions Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne are good "Rappers" because they sure sell alot of records and unless your severely retarded or have a very specific reason, you wouldn't buy a product that you didn't like.

Note: Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy aren't rappers they're like some retarded BET disco pop crap but i couldn't think of any other examples.

Sadly, now days Music isn't even music, it has LOST it's meaning. Well... Most artists from the 50's till today are good. Rap is flat, it's stupid and it's something I don't get how people "listen" to it. Real music= From Rock-Death Metal. (All Rock & Metal as well). I'd rather listen to Queen or the Beatles, or some Indie Rock/Pop. :rolleyes: Kate Nash & Kimya Dawson. :)

^ You best be joking because I can't comprehend how it's flat. I can see why you wouldn't like it, but then you brought up how you can't believe people actually like it. That crosses the line from "Opinion" to "Elitist" or self-proclaimed music god.

Isn't it a bit ridiculous? I can't stand the way certain new rap sounds, but I don't dismiss it as garbage. I simply do not like it for myself.

On the other hand, I love old rap but I don't have an elitist sense of what is "really music" or what is not "true music". And neither should any of us. I understand there are a lot of kids and teens on this site still in high school where the tendency to want to be a part of a group almost to the point of militancy is prevalent, but it does no one any good and when you get older, more likely than not, you'll realize how petty and pointless it all was. The same with any of our differences. They should not divide, only unite. Why argue when we can learn from each other?

I like both generations. For the 80s and 90s, I'm a fan of N.W.A., Biggie, and Pac.

yerp dey ain't makin music like they usta.

walt-kowalski-picture_481x320.jpg

Edited by Twist of Fate

You are forgetting also that the big names you are talking about are getting on a bit now in most cases. Most of them don't make music anymore, come back in 10-20 years time and it will probably be the same. Someone will think that the music of the future isn't as good as what we have here. Other than that, there aren't many people who actually solidly rap anymore. Most of them release their songs with them singing differently with a verse of two of rapping.

Sadly, now days Music isn't even music, it has LOST it's meaning. Well... Most artists from the 50's till today are good. Rap is flat, it's stupid and it's something I don't get how people "listen" to it. Real music= From Rock-Death Metal.
You claim to understand meaning, what is meaning. Personally, I like to think that most music is supposed to make you feel good and most of it does that for me. Your opinion on rap is incredibly biased, I could say outright that rock-death metal is nothing but screaming down a microphone. That would make us both wrong though, wouldn't it :rolleyes:?

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME.

woops, caps button.

Rap...flat...stupid...=poor, uneducated, non researched opinion.

rap...meaningful...moving...motivating...true=Good, dictionary example. :rolleyes:

And someone just hit a homerun.

But we all know people love to complain.

Rap was better back then, for sure. All the decent rappers now are just washed up, they were in their prime in the 90's. Back then a decent amount of the music was made for the person to express their emotions, now it's all about the money. Which, obviously, makes it worse.

Eminem is the shizzle, he always has been. All other rappers around today beside him, dmx, xzibit and 50 cent are trash in my opinion.

Also, I can't see why everyone thinks big and pac were so good. It started with Eazy E and big and pac followed it up. Sure they were famous but neither of them had decent rhymes and they couldn't freestyle for shizzle.

I wouldn't say modern rap is worse than Old rap. Its just The style Older rap was done in and what some of the songs where about, don't make it quite into charts as much anymore. Chart music dominates the scene now and sadly most of it is influenced by Children.

If you look around Spotify you can find some pretty good new rap artists lieing about the place that do make good songs.

Also songs about nice doggy!es and having more than someone else are now frowned upon ;_;