Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eye

R3m0v3 T3h F1lt3r

Remove the Filter. Except not really.

I have a simple proposition that if two people had eachother added for the past month, in Private Chats between them the filter was eliminated. Those who wish to swear can, those who do not don't have to, and since you both added eachother, "insulting comments" won't really exist.

Yeah? :rolleyes:

Of course you would be able to set it to perma filter, and for kids under 13 or whatever, there would be some sort of parental control I imagine. Otherwise Jagex would never allow it.

But really, I support.

What about extremely offensive words, like the "N" word for example? What if a troll added you and started saying extremely offensive words at you?

What about reading the suggestion?

two people had eachother added for the past month

Don't add trolls, simples.

What about reading the suggestion?

two people had eachother added for the past month

Don't add trolls, simples.

*simples noise*

--

Yes, it does sound like a reasonable idea. It could do with a few tweaks though. (Maybe not removing the filter totally, just relaxing it? :rolleyes: )

anyway, yes, looks good.

Support

I'm just wondering why you feel the need to be able to swear :rolleyes:

To make it very simple, No. The runescape user base has proven time and time again that any ounce of responsibility they are given they cannot take. "what do you mean?" you may ask... I shall elaborate. Free trade, ruined by players who couldn't actually play the game and chose to cheat. Wilderness, ruined by players who couldn't actually play the game and chose to cheat. We have had multiple bugs in runescape, all of them, ALL OF THEM, have been abused until jagex fixed them. The runescape community *though not all of us* is too immature to realize that jagex isn't ever going to respect us if we all keep acting like children and abusing every possible chink in the system.

If you were to remove the chat filters, you would be inviting the immature runescape user base to abuse the hell out of it, until all of the long term players leave, or jagex fixes it.

Edit: I really should proof read my posts before hand T_T

Edited by Mr Harmony

To make it very simple, No. The runescape user base has proven time and time again that any ounce of responsibility they are given they cannot take. "what do you mean?" you may ask... I shall elaborate. Free trade, ruined by players who couldn't actually play the game and chose to cheat. Wilderness, ruined by players who couldn't actually play the game and chose to cheat. We have had multiple bugs in runescape, all of them, ALL OF THEM, have been abused until jagex fixed them. The runescape community *though not all of us* is too immature to realize that jagex isn't ever going to respect us if we all keep acting like children and abusing every possible chink in the system.

If you were to remove the chat filters, you would be inviting the immature runescape user base to abuse the hell out of it, until all of the long term players leave, or jagex fixes it.

Did you by any chance read my original post, or just the title?

Read it, cannot promote swearing in runescape, thats against the rules /thread. Even with people added to your friends list this would be heavily abused, get into an argument get flamed by people you think were you're friends, and then they can swear as much as they want... Not to mention it would make the abuse system a whole lot more complicated for jamflex.

It's supposed to be a 13+ game anyway, I think nearly all games with swearing in them are 15+..?

It's supposed to be a 13+ game anyway, I think nearly all games with swearing in them are 15+..?

Depends, US it's PG13 I think, I think for Europe it's 15+

Also people understand what I'm saying with the censor so I don't get it.

Edited by Cxkslei

Sounds like a great idea.

RuneScape is the only game i play that filters out swear words. And i'm getting quite annoyed by the filter lately, due to it filtering out swear words in sentences that shouldn't even offend anyone.

This is the internet. If you can't stand a swear word or two, don't use it.

Tree: I'd go the opposite way and say if you don't like the fact that you can't swear, don't use the Runescape Chat. Talk to your friends on some other chat system, there are plenty out there. It seems that Jagex are fairly adamant on having swear words blocked, they've relaxed the censors a little for some words, but I don't think they'll go as far as something like this.

Read it, cannot promote swearing in runescape, thats against the rules /thread. Even with people added to your friends list this would be heavily abused, get into an argument get flamed by people you think were you're friends, and then they can swear as much as they want... Not to mention it would make the abuse system a whole lot more complicated for jamflex.

Then if they start flaming you, you can add them to ignore. Simple.

I support.

Just because people are longtime friends doesn't mean they wont get into fights, so this "two-month" system really wont work to prevent that. Plus, just because you have someone added for two months doesn't mean you'll end up knowing them well after that time period.

You state that in swearing between "friends", insults "wont exist." How is Jagex to moderate, then, if that's the case? If I PM someone with extremely offensive language and they report me, it's not like Jagex is going to be able to distinguish between flaming and joking.

And really, what's the big deal about asterisks anyway? You already have the option to use third-party chat services if you really can't stand being censored and, as previous posters have stated, it's not like you can't reason out what the person you're talking to is saying even with all the stars (and, to be honest, if you can't you're probably not having a conversation of much substance anyway :rolleyes:).

Edited by heb0

That's blocked. Did you intend it to be offensive? I think not.

This is a great idea. I hate talking with a friend, trying to say something perfectly innocent, and having it blocked. Support.

If anyone has played frugooscape or Unrealscape, you'd know what i'm talking about

Cencor on\off button next to report abuse, when you log in it starts on

Support, but maybe make it so you cant swear but everything else is allowed.

No support. Why do we need the need to swear. Who cares? Just talk to your friends without swearing. You can always use MSN and other Messenger softwares.

This, and I don't feel that it's necessary at all.

I find it funny that mage is saying that ;d

I see no reason not to just use third party software.

Edited by Toto

This, and I don't feel that it's necessary at all.

I find it funny that mage is saying that ;d

I see no reason not to just use third party software.

We have skype, that's why I say it :).

Once you make an exception in a rule, people want more freedom until the point of the rule becomes unused and pointless. Basically, if you do that then why should there even be a filter? It shouldn't matter that you have been friends for 'x' amount of time, they obviously want to keep the game fairly clean and as I was saying, once people had that ability people would start begging for more.

If anyone has played frugooscape or Unrealscape, you'd know what i'm talking about

Cencor on\off button next to report abuse, when you log in it starts on

I support the idea of adding an on/off button to the chat to turn off the filter if the individual player wants to. This would be set as on for the default, and would also be on for any players under 13 or 15 (or whatever the age is in the U.S. and the U.K.).

Edited by Orchdork19

support, I hate it when I say to someone "Im coming" and it comes out ***ing.