Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blasphemy

Yeah, Well, Now I'm Pissed Off.

I have no experience but your wording of "lost to another girl" could be taken a bit offensively by some people.

I guess all I can say is keep practicing.

Edited by Emo_Nemo

How is that offensive?

Just can be because it sounds like being beat in something by a girl is bad thing either way ignore what I said lol.

How is that offensive?

It sounds sexist. Like you can't comprehend that their are girls out their who could possibly be better at something than you.

You play the clarinet, right Blasphemy? I remember you mentioning that awhile back, so assuming you haven't changed instruments, I'll give you some tips for playing low notes on the clarinet. Some may be obvious tips, but it can't hurt to go over everything.

- Make sure your reed doesn't have any chips or cracks in it. If it does, replace it. You should also replace it if you've been using that same reed for a while.

- Check to make sure the position of the reed on the mouthpiece is correct (IIRC, if you look from the other side you should be able to see a little bit of the reed at the top, but no more than a little), and that the ligature is not too tight or loose.

- Your fingers should be firmly covering the holes you need to be covering, and ensure that no keys are stuck in the wrong position. Is your instrument in good condition? I was stuck with using the school one for several years, and it wasn't unusual for some keys to get stuck in the wrong positions.

- Start with warming up your instrument by playing some notes.

- Work your way down the scale to the lower notes.

- Make sure you are breathing properly. When you breathe, you should be taking a deep breath and trying to fill the lower part of your lungs. If you're doing it correctly, your shoulders won't be rising as you breathe. This is extremely important if you're trying to play properly.

- Keep practising. You'll definitely be able to play the lower notes if you continue trying.

That's as much as I can think of. It's harder to give tips over the internet since I can't really see/hear the problem, but I hope that helped somewhat. I remember having the same problem when I was learning, and I can't think of anything else to fix it.

I think it depends on what instrument you have. If you have a clarinet I would suggest going with Xaria's idea, since I don't own a clarinet.

I have a saxophone, and I need to tighten my lips while playing high notes and loosen my lips when playing high notes. Make sure you play both high and low notes regularly. Also do clarinets have an octave key? If they do, make sure that isn't stuck or broken.

You play the clarinet, right Blasphemy? I remember you mentioning that awhile back, so assuming you haven't changed instruments, I'll give you some tips for playing low notes on the clarinet. Some may be obvious tips, but it can't hurt to go over everything.

- Make sure your reed doesn't have any chips or cracks in it. If it does, replace it. You should also replace it if you've been using that same reed for a while.

- Check to make sure the position of the reed on the mouthpiece is correct (IIRC, if you look from the other side you should be able to see a little bit of the reed at the top, but no more than a little), and that the ligature is not too tight or loose.

- Your fingers should be firmly covering the holes you need to be covering, and ensure that no keys are stuck in the wrong position. Is your instrument in good condition? I was stuck with using the school one for several years, and it wasn't unusual for some keys to get stuck in the wrong positions.

- Start with warming up your instrument by playing some notes.

- Work your way down the scale to the lower notes.

- Make sure you are breathing properly. When you breathe, you should be taking a deep breath and trying to fill the lower part of your lungs. If you're doing it correctly, your shoulders won't be rising as you breathe. This is extremely important if you're trying to play properly.

- Keep practising. You'll definitely be able to play the lower notes if you continue trying.

That's as much as I can think of. It's harder to give tips over the internet since I can't really see/hear the problem, but I hope that helped somewhat. I remember having the same problem when I was learning, and I can't think of anything else to fix it.

I'm on Tenor Saxophone now :) Good post :rolleyes:

When I played sax 4 years ago I had thr same problem. You need to breathe out slowly for the low notes. If you go too fast it'll squeak and be too high. Takes a bit of practice.

I had the same problem back in the day and for some reason aiming my mouth downward while blowing helped.

I'm on Tenor Saxophone now :) Good post :rolleyes:
Oh well, now that I think of it, most of my advice can apply to that instrument too. :)

What Xenia said was GENIUS! I don't play any woodwinds, but I have tried and I know you have to just figure out how much air to use and where to position your lips (Every wind instrument requires this.) Just experiment until you get the correct sound, if you need help, ask your band director, or even a fellow player.