Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grazer

Guns In Australia

So apparently in the USA you dont need a clearance or anything you can actually go to any gun shop outright and buy a high powered rifle, or machine gun.

I was like wat.

Our country doesnt allow that as a certain someone gunned down 35 people a few back.

So apparently in the USA you dont need a clearance or anything you can actually go to any gun shop outright and buy a high powered rifle, or machine gun.

I was like wat.

Our country doesnt allow that as a certain someone gunned down 35 people a few back.

You still have to have a permit to go out and buy a gun, it's a lot like in the UK but over here we are tense about guns whereas in the USA tons of families have guns for protection and things like that.

I find it weird that you said Australia in your title but USA in your post. Eitherway, you still need a permit.

Edited by Fatalysm

No, I'm pretty sure Americans are required to have a license for guns. Near the southern border there are instances of people getting weapons without a license though.

I'll answer for the Americans :rolleyes:

You have to have a permit to legally carry a weapon (although that doesn't stop me since I live WAY out in the country). IF you want to buy a gun there is a LONG application process that takes usually around an hour or two to apply, then a 3 day waiting period, then you can get your gun.

Depending on the state though a permit may or may not be required, such as Alaska and Arizona. Federal laws restrict who can own a gun as well, for example criminals cannot legally purchase or carry them, regardless of whether or not they have a permit. To buy rifles and shotguns you have to be 18 and to buy handguns you must be 21.

Some states also have laws about concealed weapons. In some states you can have one in the glove box of your car, while others ban concealment at all.

And @ Xevan, private sale of weapons is totally legal in most states, except for about 10-15 of which who have banned or restricted it.

@Magic, automatic weapons are illegal for anyone who is non-military/non-police to own. It is possible to get a license to own, but it is the most expensive, and has the longest waiting period and requires extensive training to receive.

Where did you hear that? Because it's wrong.

I'm Pretty sure you can't buy a machine gun even with a permit.

I was like wat.

Eh its a bit more complicated then that.

It's a whole application and prescreening process which includes going through criminal records.

The problem with the US is guns flow in so easily from other countries such as mexico, columbia, etc so even if we banned guns then they would still get in anyways.

I was like wat.

You think that we Americans can just waltz into a shop off the street and go buy machine guns without an Id? That is a very stupid claim and you should realize that most criminals who commit mass murder do not go through the proper channels to obtain firearms.

Hahaha, because everyone knows that a machine intended for causing death should sold and made available like some over the counter generic drug or sweet? :rolleyes: Right? :)

Americans are so uninformed about the outside world supposedly and then you have comments about how in the US you can purchase a gun like it's a chocolate bar.

Americans are so uninformed about the outside world supposedly and then you have comments about how in the US you can purchase a gun like it's a chocolate bar.

This...

You're on the internet, why don't you do some research before making topics like this?

This...

You're on the internet, why don't you do some research before making topics like this?

Because he's obviously asking if what he heard is true and would like some first-hand information rather than get information - the reliability of which might be varying from deitylike to sketchy at best? :rolleyes:

you want to buy a gun there is a LONG application process that takes usually around an hour or two to apply, then a 3 day waiting period
74 hours is long? :) In most countries you have to go through various requests and a practical test (in most cases).

you want to buy a gun there is a LONG application process that takes usually around an hour or two to apply, then a 3 day waiting period
74 hours is long? :rolleyes: In most countries you have to go through various requests and a practical test (in most cases).

That's just to buy a gun Dani. To carry it you have to pay high fees and take the required courses.

74 hours is long? :) In most countries you have to go through various requests and a practical test (in most cases).

That's just the registration for a gun, and even after you've bought it you have to register it again with any local station that does that (for me, it's the city police). Here in Pa you have to take and pass a firearms safety course (or a hunter's safety course if you've already done that), fill out a bunch of forms, and wait a few weeks before you even get your license :)

Assault weapons are illegal for civilians unless you have a very rare and special permit. My neighbor up the street happens to have one. :rolleyes:

Lee beat me. :)

Edited by Morte

That's just to buy a gun Dani. To carry it you have to pay high fees and take the required courses.

We solve the problem at the head and don't let people carry loaded (or assembled, for that matter) firearms. :rolleyes:

We solve the problem at the head and don't let people carry loaded (or assembled, for that matter) firearms. :rolleyes:

speaking of loaded firearms, you have no idea how many idiots bring their guns in for inspection full loaded. And the inspection site is in the police station shared with CITY FREAKING HALL. :)

speaking of loaded firearms, you have no idea how many idiots bring their guns in for inspection full loaded. And the inspection site is in the police station shared with CITY FREAKING HALL. :)

I hope those people do not get a permit :). Or they are forced to attach "this end up" to their firearms (to the butt of the gun, so they don't shoot themselves in the face).

As to the topic poster, guns are not candy. We (Americans) cannot simply walk into a store and demand an ak-47, m60, etc. and be given it for free. In fact, assault (and fully automatic rifles) are illegal to my knowledge (for civilian use, and carrying, without a proper permit).

~John

I was like wat.

Well a rifle would have more users, since a lot of people shoot at training ranges, or go hunting as a recreational activity. Therefore it would be easier to get a rifle than a machine gun, because a machine gun is actually made to kill people, and would be more dangerous. Of course, I'm imagining that the rifle you're talking about is a bolt or lever action rifle, if it was a fully automatic rifle, it would probably be harder, so it depends on the gun. Also a machine gun is harder to maintain and much more expensive to buy ammunition, so less people might use it.

It's actually illegal to own a gun at all in chicago.

Quick search (just to be sure I remembered correctly) is showing guns have to be registered with the police, not that they actually aren't allowed at all(besides handguns). But yeah, it's the most restrictive.

Edited by Synapsi

It's actually illegal to own a gun at all in chicago.

Quick search (just to be sure I remembered correctly) is showing guns have to be registered with the police, not that they actually aren't allowed at all(besides handguns). But yeah, it's the most restrictive.

well sorry but I think by the time I get my rifle ready for defense I'm kinda already screwed.

In Texas, the only requirements to purchase a non-Class III (not short barreled rifle [barrel under 16.5"], full-auto capable, AOW, etc) firearm are that you pass an NCIS background check and be 18 years of age, or 21 for a handgun. A CHL, Concealed Handgun License, allowing you to carry a handgun concealed anywhere not prohibited (posted 30.06, 51% locations, schools, etc), can be obtained at 21 or 18 for military personnel. Texas does not permit public open carry of handguns, though open carry of long arms is legal as long as it is not done in a 'manner calculated to alarm', that being the exact wording of the Texas Penal Code. There is no minimum age for owning a gun in Texas. All my guns were given to me as a minor. Texas laws do not apply to other states. Other states' laws do not apply to Texas. To summarize - the above is the situation here, and it may (and does) differ elsewhere.

To all those who believe that all guns are mindless killing machines who deal death on their own - If guns kill people, pencils are the cause of spelling errors.

The difference between Australia and USA is that in USA guns are used frequently in battle. Australia's not so bad since everyone can't just go get a gun. Trust me it's almost impossible to get a gun that isn't a air rifle hair.

The difference between Australia and USA is that in USA guns are used frequently in battle. Australia's not so bad since everyone can't just go get a gun. Trust me it's almost impossible to get a gun that isn't a air rifle hair.

Battle? It's not like there's all out war here...

Battle? It's not like there's all out war here...

Gang wars?

And I watch Cops, I see what you Americans get up to :rolleyes: