Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic

Generic Building A Computer Thread

Hi, I'm looking to build a bangin new pc and as I am visiting my dad who lives in Canada soon I want to buy the parts over there (not all, just the expensive bits) to take advantage of the lower purchasing tax/cost of electronics.

A few things I want to clear up first;

1. I dont see why they wouldnt be buy are parts from canada and britain fine together (I want to get the psu, HD and case in Britain and the GPU, CPU, Ram and mobo in Canada)

2. Will taking these potentially delicate parts in hold luggage be an issue

Here are the parts I am looking at buying:

Processor i7 930

Mobo I am less sure on, thinking of this cheapie gigabyte but if it makes move sense go for this bad mother

For ram this should do the trick, 6 gees 'o corsair

GPU I am really open for suggestions on, was going to plump for something like this 5770 but I dont really have my finger to the pulse on this matter

So yeah is this all kosher? Thanks for any help and apologies if this post comes off as at all unintelligible.

Edited by Celtic

That CPU & board are incompatible. For that specific board, grab a Core i7-860 or, for that specific processor, grab a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (very good boards those are). And don't bother spending $190 on an HD5770; you can get an HD5830 for $200.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16813128423

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16814102878

Edited by Bob-sama

Ok thanks, will probably pick both of those up instead. Really have my heart set on the 930.

I'm not sure if buying things in Canada actually works out cheaper? What's your budget, i'll see what i can do.

I was wondering that too but even if I account rather generously for exchange rate I'm still looking at a saving of £30 on the processor alone (comparing newegg price to overclockers), so overall maybe £100-150 saving I think?

As for budget I want to get it somewhere around the 6-700 pound mark, the 2 bits that bobsama suggested plus the 930 and the ram works out as around 500 pounds. I don't need to get mouse/keyboard/monitor so just need a case, psu, HD and optical drive on top of the stuff already.

If buying british turns out to be around the same price and I am just being a fool then I'll go for british :grindteeth:

An i7-860 will be as fast as an i7-930. It'll self-overclock further, too (turbo modes). Either way, the X58 chipset is more capable than the P55 chipset and, if you end up interested in higher-end bits (ie: multi-GPU setups), that's the definite top choice.

Stay away from Newegg.ca

They have horrid shipping times and are overpriced. NCIX is the best way to go.

EDIT: People here can help you with your build, that's all I have to input :grindteeth:

Edited by Xevan

I recommend the 5770. It is one of the most energy efficient cards around, and it's great for the price you pay.