Sign in to follow this  
jim9435

Drums Or Guitar

Instrument  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Guitar
    • Drums

I just recently decided i want to play an instrument but cant decide between guitar and drums

I have no experiance with ether of them

Which do you think would be easier to learn?

If you have no preference either way, go with guitar.

If you're uncoordinated, go with guitar. If not, go drums. They're a lot of fun.

Guitar is a lot easier to show off with (pick up any guitar and play), but I think drums would be a lot more fun. I play guitar and would like to get a drum set.

Drums are more fun, but if you want to be a prper musician i'd go with guitar and learn drums in later life.

I've been playing guitar for 4 years now, it's been good to me. I wish I could learn drums, but I'm not coordinated enough. Besides I can tremolo pick faster on guitar than my drummer friend can roll on his snare, so its not a rhythm issue.

Guitar isn't hard if you start out in the right place and practice enough, while drumming is more of a natural thing.

Edited by Just2340

If you plan on joining a band or anything like that drums are hardly noticed, while the guitarist is usual the lead man.

Guitar is easier to play and much easier to transport, but I think being able to play the drums is more impressive and "unique".

As

They're both completely different instruments. The guitar plays melodies while the drums play rhythm. Guitar will be all about learning how to make tunes whereas drumming is learning a bunch of stick patterns. Decide what sound you want to make.

Depends. If you can keep a beat, you might want to choose drums. If you prefer playing melodies and/or have good dexterity in both hands choose guitar. Guitar would be my recommendation. Easier to transport, doesn't bother the neighbors/other people in the house.

I'd personally like guitar over drums, but I must urge you to pick up piano. It's great fun, will help you learn virtually every other instrument, and can be a great show-off tool. :grindteeth:

On the idea that you want to learn the easiest one, I'd say rhythm was the easiest thing to get into considering you can work up in beats. I've played the drums once before and just looked at what my friend was doing and quite literally just copied it. I think it's really easy to do that compared to the guitar which I did for about a year but was terrible.

When i was younger i saw the guitar as the best instrument ever and my friends seemed to play bass and Guitar,

Even singing too! But a few years later they were starting the good old band and they needed a drummer.

During those few years i had progressed to like and play the drums so they were delighted for me to be a part of the band.

BTW : I set the vote to 6 for drums now it is equal :grindteeth:

EDIT : correcting the "e" in Vote.

Edited by Wolfe

I honestly prefer instrumentals, with violins and such. Not like classical much, but more along the lines of indie.

I think acoustic guitar has an amazing sound, probably my second favorite instrument, behind the piano. It calms me. It's neat :grindteeth:

Easier? Drums.

Better for you as a musician? Guitar.

If you actually take classical guitar lessons and know what you're doing, you can get a lot farther playing guitar.

If you actually take classical guitar lessons and know what you're doing, you can get a lot farther playing guitar.

This. Learn to play by reading sheet music and not just tabs. Ideally, you should be able to play by ear after a few years.

If you plan on joining a band or anything like that drums are hardly noticed, while the guitarist is usual the lead man.

Ha, Drummers basically make death metal bands and I sometimes consider them the most talented member in a band.

Basically i've been asking myself this question for ages and decided i'll learn guitar first because my mum gets pissed off when I walk heavy footed upstairs yet alone a drum set, so take that into consideration (I don't have a garage).

I decided to try and play guitar first and when I get my own place buy a drumset and go with that too, many musicians learn more than 1 instrument.

Also if you have ambitions to play drums for a punk rock band or something which isn't too technical and just requires stamina then i'd probably go for guitar, although if you want to play drums to metal then you can go really far with it, although metal isn't the only genre where playing drums is hard.

I prefer the Guitar, it's not the fact that I can play it, it's just I rather air drum.

Drums are amazing, since they make up the most important bit of a band. They're the starting beat, (apparently, drummers get all the girls/guys.)

Go and play which instrument that fits you. It's not us, it's you.

I personally play guitar, which i find very fun. Once you get into chords and improvisation it's amazing, but it depends on personal preference really.

I'd do drums. They seem a bit more fun than the guitar, though keeping the beat is a bit of a pain.

But if you can learn how to write your own scores, try guitar. To me, the guitar always looked like a cool instrument (never learned to play though).

Ha, Drummers basically make death metal bands and I sometimes consider them the most talented member in a band.

Basically i've been asking myself this question for ages and decided i'll learn guitar first because my mum gets pissed off when I walk heavy footed upstairs yet alone a drum set, so take that into consideration (I don't have a garage).

I decided to try and play guitar first and when I get my own place buy a drumset and go with that too, many musicians learn more than 1 instrument.

Also if you have ambitions to play drums for a punk rock band or something which isn't too technical and just requires stamina then i'd probably go for guitar, although if you want to play drums to metal then you can go really far with it, although metal isn't the only genre where playing drums is hard.

+1

You honestly can't say guitar is harder than drums or drums is harder. Both are demanding in very different ways and both take hard work and time to become good at.

Drums are constantly overlooked and are considered 'easy' but the amount of skill required to play even the simplest beats such as you might hear in a Paramore song or such (not dissing that band) require more practice than you might think.

And the same goes for guitar too. Honestly, it's your own preference. You might wanna look into learning both though. I am.

I'd personally like guitar over drums, but I must urge you to pick up piano. It's great fun, will help you learn virtually every other instrument, and can be a great show-off tool. :grindteeth:

I agree. I took piano lessons when I was young, but I hated it and never practiced. Now I play the drums and love it. But now I kind of wish I had payed more attention to piano cause I really wish I could play the keys.