Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Summers

Mosque To Be Built Near Ground Zero

Mosque to be built near Ground Zero  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the mosque should be built?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

If building Mosque near ground zero is okay then so is burning Qu'rans

Both are legally acceptable, but burning the Qu'ran will simply encourage western resentment, and will question western ideals in countries that may be moving to western principles of freedom of expression.

I can understand why someone may be insulted by the Mosque, but they must remember that 9/11 was by extremists, not by your typical Muslim. Infact, is it not better to moderate Muslims(to deter from extremism) than actively encourage and provoke them to extremism? Then, the mass burning of the Qu'ran is perhaps more disrespectful to the 9/11 attacks than the building of a Mosque.

Insulting? YES

Legal? YES

Some people might be insulted when they burn flags of US.

Why do they do it? it makes people feel insulted? To express their opinions? Okay, Burning Qu'ran is my way of expressing opinion, drawing cartoons of Jesus? Sure, SPEECH FREEDOM

Drawing cartoons of Muhammad? SLAY THE INFIDELS WHO INSULT ISLAM.

What has the world come to? We're being held as hostage by Muslims?

Majority of muslims will always be hypocrites.

And I will always think of you as a cabbage-lover for that one line. It's obvious, the only thing you know is what the media has portrayed it, that you either do not know any or little Muslims, and are incapable of separating two sects. You have grouped the majority of Muslims who do not agree with radicals as terrorists, and shown how insensitive you are.

Muslims today are hypocrites, but it's because we've marginalized the moderates from modern society, and they feel okay about the socially-marginalizing meanies getting hurt every now and then.

It's a normal human reaction and we're bringing it on ourselves.

I'm going to refrain from calling you a stereotypical bigot. The truth of the matter is, you probably haven't met a singly Muslim.

As for building the mosque, it's not much like burning Qu'rans. Building a mosque Vs. Burning a Qu'ran. Thinking about it.

One is designed by an imam who has been hired by the US to promote peace and teach FBI about Islam, and over and over the mosque will be used to promote peace and such. Burning a Qu'ran is only to desecrate the name of something sacred, (don't tell me Ground Zero is sacred, because the very meaning of sacred requires religion, and Ground Zero is neither religious nor named correctly), and to purposely inflame Muslims around the world.

Think about it again. The Muslims that do throw threats live in 3rd world countries that have been ravaged for centuries now. Can you honestly expect them to be civil compared to a developed country? It doesn't even have to do with Islam, it's about the place they live in. If they were Christians or Jews (Israel is a good example) they would be just as mad at everything. Without Islam, these people would still find a reason to be extremists, blaming a religion for the acts of uncivilized men is only showing you in a bad light. I encourage you to research before making such statements.

Explain to me how they are hypocrites.

Every Muslim I know, is looking for peace.

They look for peace, and are met with bigotry. Is it any wonder that, after being bullied around, they figure maybe the radicals have a point? If I were in the same position, I'd probably feel the same way too.

I'm going to refrain from calling you a stereotypical bigot. The truth of the matter is, you probably haven't met a singly Muslim.

Don't suppose you've noticed my location…in fact I just went around with my dad visiting people for Eid today.

As for building the mosque, it's not much like burning Qu'rans. Building a mosque Vs. Burning a Qu'ran. Thinking about it.

I didn't say building the mosque = burning Qu'rans.

One is designed by an imam who has been hired by the US to promote peace and teach FBI about Islam, and over and over the mosque will be used to promote peace and such. Burning a Qu'ran is only to desecrate the name of something sacred, (don't tell me Ground Zero is sacred, because the very meaning of sacred requires religion, and Ground Zero is neither religious nor named correctly), and to purposely inflame Muslims around the world.

Duh.

Think about it again. The Muslims that do throw threats live in 3rd world countries that have been ravaged for centuries now. Can you honestly expect them to be civil compared to a developed country? It doesn't even have to do with Islam, it's about the place they live in. If they were Christians or Jews (Israel is a good example) they would be just as mad at everything. Without Islam, these people would still find a reason to be extremists, blaming a religion for the acts of uncivilized men is only showing you in a bad light. I encourage you to research before making such statements.

Probably. Like Clarkson said, people in the West are civilized because they've got Grand Theft Auto. In the Third World, if you get upset, you blow up a hotel or cut your neighbor's arms off. It's very different because in places like this there are few safe ways to relieve stresses and tension surrounding livelihoods. Many people turn to sex for this release, which then leads to kids…and more stress.

It's a vicious cycle and nothing's being done to counteract it. We can send expertise. There are people who have the drive to succeed.

Insulting? YES

Legal? YES

Some people might be insulted when they burn flags of US.

Why do they do it? it makes people feel insulted? To express their opinions? Okay, Burning Qu'ran is my way of expressing opinion, drawing cartoons of Jesus? Sure, SPEECH FREEDOM

Drawing cartoons of Muhammad? SLAY THE INFIDELS WHO INSULT ISLAM.

What has the world come to? We're being held as hostage by Muslims?

Majority of muslims will always be hypocrites.

Explain to me how they are hypocrites.

Every Muslim I know, is looking for peace.

Excatly. The Qu'ran is an extremely beautifully written and peaceful piece of literature. The vast majority of Muslims are very peaceful. It's the radical peoples that are associated with the Muslim faith that make you group together the two sects. I think you're forgetting there are radical thinkers in EVERY form of religion. Are you forgetting the pastor in Florida who was made public by saying he was going to burn the Qu'ran? Does that not seem crazy or radical?

Thus, how can the Muslim peoples be deemed hypocritical? Your argument is missing lack of knowledge and gives me the impression you don't know what you are talking about..

Flame, I agree with pretty much everything you said, except what you said to GFS about not having met a single Muslim. He's lived for years (I think... perhaps only months?) in Indonesia, the largest Muslim nation in the world IIRC, and he's planning a long-term service project there right now. I'm guessing he knows Islam better than you do. Trust me, he knows what he's talking about.

Nearly everyone's a hypocrite in some way. I'm sure the majority of Muslims don't buck the trend.

GFS, could you better explain what you meant by saying the majority of Muslims are hypocrites? I didn't really understand you the first time.

Probably. Like Clarkson said, people in the West are civilized because they've got Grand Theft Auto. In the Third World, if you get upset, you blow up a hotel or cut your neighbor's arms off. It's very different because in places like this there are few safe ways to relieve stresses and tension surrounding livelihoods. Many people turn to sex for this release, which then leads to kids…and more stress.

It's a vicious cycle and nothing's being done to counteract it. We can send expertise. There are people who have the drive to succeed.

It's not stress that they're trying to relieve. As far as I, the Taliban which is prevalent within countries with large amounts of terrorism harbors in uneducated teens who don't really understand anything but are promised rewards if they "follow the leader," so to speak. They're tired of living in an area where they have no real good things happening, so in the end they are easily manipulated. The only thing you can do to counteract it is truly educating them, which can't really happen when violence ruins any possibility of it (not to mention that Israel's blockade doesn't even allow paper inside Palestine).

I'm guessing he knows Islam better than you do.

I wouldn't go that far. I am from Egypt and have lived there and go there every summer. I haven't met a single Egyptian who wasn't Muslim and a family friend of mine has a father (who I've met) in the Muslim Brotherhood. I also go to mosques weekly despite school and sometimes I still do read up about my religion. I'm sure I know more about my religion than he does.

I'm guessing he knows Islam better than you do.

I wouldn't go that far. I am from Egypt and have lived there and go there every summer. I haven't met a single Egyptian who wasn't Muslim and a family friend of mine has a father (who I've met) in the Muslim Brotherhood. I also go to mosques weekly despite school and sometimes I still do read up about my religion. I'm sure I know more about my religion than he does.

My bad then, I'd forgotten that you were Muslim. I haven't seen you in forever! :huh:

^I assumed that people from back then hadn't forgotten about my immature, over enthusiastic blind faith arguments back in the day :huh:

Excatly. The Qu'ran is an extremely beautifully written and peaceful piece of literature. The vast majority of Muslims are very peaceful. It's the radical peoples that are associated with the Muslim faith that make you group together the two sects. I think you're forgetting there are radical thinkers in EVERY form of religion. Are you forgetting the pastor in Florida who was made public by saying he was going to burn the Qu'ran? Does that not seem crazy or radical?

Thus, how can the Muslim peoples be deemed hypocritical? Your argument is missing lack of knowledge and gives me the impression you don't know what you are talking about..

http://www.mediafire.com/?aki33wkn2ohbbci

That PowerPoint was written by a man who memorized the Qu'ran in its entirety at the age of nine, met Ayatollah Khomeini on his request, and in spite of his disdain for radical Islam from birth, learned in his time as a Muslim theologian all of the things you will read in that PowerPoint.

Suffice it to say he is no longer a Muslim.

Also, that's just about the Qu'ran, and no, it's not 'beautiful literature,' it is self-contradictory, self-abrogating, and chock full of logical fallacies.

GFS, could you better explain what you meant by saying the majority of Muslims are hypocrites? I didn't really understand you the first time.

Most moderates feel boxed in living in the west because they feel marginalized. Most Americans and Europeans despise Muslims regardless, and are unwilling to accept them. Some, like me, see their point, but don't see it as a reason to hate them. I see their religion as being very flawed, logically speaking, but just because someone is misguided is no reason to hate them.

Edited by Golf Foxtrot Sierra

Guest B Sagitarius

I see nothing wrong with it being built, and stopping it being built with be the opposite of freedom of religion.

And Muslims had no involvement in 9/11, other than being framed by the US government.

I saw a discovery channel episode about the Qu'ran once. The problem with the story is the context. It is a very aggressive and xenophobic book, when seen from the wrong perspective. The time it was written the muslims were being sieged or attacked in some way and thus it is pretty extreme on strangers

I cannot remember how they explained a lot of the paragraphs but it seemed to me that it is not a hateful book despite there being aggressive sections in it when viewed from the wrong point.

~Razorlike

I saw a discovery channel episode about the Qu'ran once. The problem with the story is the context. It is a very aggressive and xenophobic book, when seen from the wrong perspective. The time it was written the muslims were being sieged or attacked in some way and thus it is pretty extreme on strangers

I cannot remember how they explained a lot of the paragraphs but it seemed to me that it is not a hateful book despite there being aggressive sections in it when viewed from the wrong point.

~Razorlike

It's about as aggressive and xenophobic as the Bible and Old Testament out of context, but I bet you I could find quite a few aggressive things in a lot of books that include war in it if I quoted them out of context.

I see nothing wrong with it being built, and stopping it being built with be the opposite of freedom of religion.

And Muslims had no involvement in 9/11, other than being framed by the US government.

Muslims were "framed" by the US government?

Oh, I heard they were building it on Ground Zero.

I thought that that was stupid, to even build anything on it.

I'm saying that I know they aren't building it on Ground Zero.

I don't see an issue with this.

Edited by Indie

Explain to me why you think it would be feasibly possible to build on ground zero in it's current state. It's still a mess.

Explain to me why you think it would be feasibly possible to build on ground zero in it's current state. It's still a mess.

I don't know what to say.

Exuberance.

I don't know if I should take offence to this either.

/offtopic

Exuberance.

I don't know if I should take offence to this either.

/offtopic

No, not at all, it wasn't directed at you and it wasn't meant as an offence either.

Well he's right. The people in charge of that zone have done a terrible job of bringing up any structures there. Along with budget cuts, shizzle is really messed.

Well he's right. The people in charge of that zone have done a terrible job of bringing up any structures there. Along with budget cuts, shizzle is really messed.

I'm going to admit, I had no idea what the state of ground zero was. I wouldn't have been able to tell you if you asked me.

I'm going to admit, I had no idea what the state of ground zero was. I wouldn't have been able to tell you if you asked me.

Pretty much a fenced off zone with a large "dig" in process from when I last looked around at it. I think they have some sort of a foundation up now. Nothing much.

I walked past it a few months ago. I think construction has started now. They may not have anything much up yet, but it's true - they could build something there by this point. It's a mess, but a solid mess.

I walked past it a few months ago. I think construction has started now. They may not have anything much up yet, but it's true - they could build something there by this point. It's a mess, but a solid mess.

So I wasn't totally out of line?

Huzzah.