Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cxkslei

Death Sentence

I believe that the death penalty is wrong for two reasons: 1) No matter how slight or small the odds are, there is always a chance that an innocent person will be executed, and 2) There is no need for it. Way back when, there might not have been the means to put a murderer in prison for the remainder of his/her lifetime, but we can do so much more readily now. Unless it is absolutely necesary--for the safety of others--to execute a criminal, then I will not support the death penalty (note that this case is extremely, extremely rare. I can't imagine it ever taking place in modern society).

I believe that the death penalty is wrong for two reasons: 1) No matter how slight or small the odds are, there is always a chance that an innocent person will be executed, and 2) There is no need for it. Way back when, there might not have been the means to put a murderer in prison for the remainder of his/her lifetime, but we can do so much more readily now. Unless it is absolutely necesary--for the safety of others--to execute a criminal, then I will not support the death penalty (note that this case is extremely, extremely rare. I can't imagine it ever taking place in modern society).

And theres a slim chance of being locked in prison for the rest of your life when you didn't do it. A punishment some may consider worse then death.

And the prisons are getting overcrowded. Keeping these people alive in a prison for the rest of their lives just adds to the issue.

Edited by Emo_Nemo

And theres a slim chance of being locked in prison for the rest of your life when you didn't do it. A punishment some may consider worse then death.

And the prisons are getting overcrowded. Keeping these people alive in a prison for the rest of their lives just adds to the issue.

Generally I would say someone who has killed someone else in cold blood is pretty much the definition of 'impossible to rehabilitate,' even a change of heart can't really do anything about that. Hence, keeping them in prison is a bit of a waste since the expressed goal of prisons in the US (regardless of whether or not it's what they want to do) is rehabilitation. I would argue that's sheer bollocks, but that's what they claim.

Also, your point on overcrowded prisons isn't bad. I would only support the death penalty in cases involving DNA evidence and a couple of appeals, though.

Generally I would say someone who has killed someone else in cold blood is pretty much the definition of 'impossible to rehabilitate,' even a change of heart can't really do anything about that. Hence, keeping them in prison is a bit of a waste since the expressed goal of prisons in the US (regardless of whether or not it's what they want to do) is rehabilitation. I would argue that's sheer bollocks, but that's what they claim.

Also, your point on overcrowded prisons isn't bad. I would only support the death penalty in cases involving DNA evidence and a couple of appeals, though.

Oh me too I only support the death penalty for those who commit premeditated murder. Even though it would still have an impact on prison populations.

Also, your point on overcrowded prisons isn't bad.

Isn't that like supporting abortions (and/or infanticide) by making a point of overpopulation? :huh:

Edited by Arianna

Isn't that like supporting abortions (and/or infanticide) by making a point of overpopulation? :huh:

The overcrowding of prisons in the US is vastly worse than the fairytale problem of overpopulation.

Furthermore, pregnancy is preventable whereas murder can't really be stopped beforehand unless everyone has a Jimmy Cricket right next to them.

Infants haven't committed a capital crime. Abortion is the new Godwin's Law apparently.

GFS and Emo, death penalties are so expensive that it would be cheaper to expand prisons than it would be to execute the prisoners being housed.

If they're in prison for x-many years but later proved to be innocent (which happens more than you'd think with DNA testing now testing cases from decades gone by), they can be set free and compensated. That won't happen if they're dead.

Emanick makes a great point about this.

I can see many people raising the issue about life imprisonment being worse than the death penalty.

But if you look at it this way, they killed someone (whether avenging a loved one or not). What are they expecting to happen in today's society? A get-out-of-jail card?

Life imprisonment offers an uncomfortable bed and free food.

I can see many people raising the issue about life imprisonment being worse than the death penalty.

But if you look at it this way, they killed someone (whether avenging a loved one or not). What are they expecting to happen in today's society? A get-out-of-jail card?

Life imprisonment offers an uncomfortable bed and free food.

An uncomfortable bed and terrible free food, with virtually nothing else guaranteed and no opportunity to work for anything, are a much worse reality than nearly anything else outside prisons in developed countries.

If they're in prison for x-many years but later proved to be innocent (which happens more than you'd think with DNA testing now testing cases from decades gone by), they can be set free and compensated. That won't happen if they're dead.

The problem with overcrowded prisons is irrelevant because it's an entirely different issue with our prison system. Besides, only around 3,200 inmates are on death row while there are more than 1.6 million people in prison.

The problem with overcrowded prisons is irrelevant because it's an entirely different issue with our prison system. Besides, only around 3,200 inmates are on death row while there are more than 1.6 million people in prison.

Let's also keep in mind a large amount of them are there for petty crimes.

I too only support the death penalty in murder cases (or cases of extreme torture or multiple rapes). If a person is as heartless and evil to do any of those things, I wouldn't want them existing in the world. And as long as the accused is proved 100% guilty then I'm okay with it :huh:

Infants haven't committed a capital crime. Abortion is the new Godwin's Law apparently.

I reserve myself the right to make ludicrous comparisons whenever I feel like it :unsure: (also ref.: click :mellow:)

And as long as the accused is proved 100% guilty then I'm okay with it
Problem: you can (almost) never be sure 100% if one is guilty or not, unless he kills the half-time Superbowl performers with a knife or something. Edited by Arianna

To sum up my feelings, I think that a cold-blooded murderer deserves to die, but on the other hand I don't want to see my government executing people.

It doesn't make that much sense. It's not really supposed to.

I reserve myself the right to make ludicrous comparisons whenever I feel like it :unsure: (also ref.: click :/)

Problem: you can (almost) never be sure 100% if one is guilty or not, unless he kills the half-time Superbowl performers with a knife or something.

DNA, Witnesses, CCTV, Confession :mellow:

I reserve myself the right to make ludicrous comparisons whenever I feel like it :unsure: (also ref.: click :/)

Problem: you can (almost) never be sure 100% if one is guilty or not, unless he kills the half-time Superbowl performers with a knife or something.

DNA, Witnesses, CCTV, Confession :mellow:

Witnesses can be wrong. CCTV cameras can be blurry. DNA testing can be inaccurate and/or misleading. Confessions can be extracted.

There are three types of convicted murderers:

1. Serial killers. Some are completely mad, some are shockingly intelligent. All are unrepentant.

2. Normal people who made a mistake. Humans aren't perfect.

3. The innocent.

Almost all fit into category #2. These people deserve prison for a set time depending on the circumstances, but not death.

Those who fit into #3 obviously don't deserve anything, but we have to admit that the system is never going to be flaw-free, so the best we can do is not kill them.

As for those in #1? I don't know. They should at least have life in prison, but with the ability to make something of themselves within the facility. Otherwise it's just a wasted life. If they fit into the mad sub-category (to the point of chains on their hands) then they should probably be executed. That goes for all severe mental patients, too. Such people have lost any sense of reality and are beyond rehabilitation. It is barbaric to keep them alive.

I'm against the death penalty.

Don't get me wrong, if someone kills (if I had) my wife or children I'd get him myself and then accept the consequences.

That is completely hypocritical. Either you believe murderers deserve to die, or you don't. Your personal role in the situation has absolutely nothing to do with it. What makes your feelings more important than those of anybody else? Edited by dexter

Don't get me wrong, if someone kills (if I had) my wife or children I'd get him myself and then accept the consequences.

That is completely hypocritical. Either you believe murderers deserve to die, or you don't. Your personal role in the situation has absolutely nothing to do with it. What makes your feelings more important than those of anybody else?

A lot of people would do that. Perhaps even me, probably me if I wasn't raised in such a comparatively sheltered environment. When your loved ones are murdered, the last thing you care about is being a hypocrite.

You can't always reduce things like murder to logic when you're right there, in the situation. It's easy (and necessary) for society to judge from the outside what should be done, but it's sometimes barely possible to think straight when you and your loved ones have been so gravely wronged. Don't judge.

That is completely hypocritical. Either you believe murderers deserve to die, or you don't. Your personal role in the situation has absolutely nothing to do with it. What makes your feelings more important than those of anybody else?

A lot of people would do that. Perhaps even me, probably me if I wasn't raised in such a comparatively sheltered environment. When your loved ones are murdered, the last thing you care about is being a hypocrite.

You can't always reduce things like murder to logic when you're right there, in the situation. It's easy (and necessary) for society to judge from the outside what should be done, but it's sometimes barely possible to think straight when you and your loved ones have been so gravely wronged. Don't judge.

I'm not judging, didn't I myself say "Humans make mistakes" in the same post as the text you quoted? I'd just like him to clearly define his opinion, since he's already contradicted himself multiple times. Edited by dexter

I'm not judging, didn't I myself say "Humans make mistakes" in the same post as the text you quoted? I'd just like him to clearly define his opinion, since he's already contradicted himself multiple times.

He's already clearly defined his opinion. He hasn't contradicted himself, he said he would contradict himself if somebody killed a loved one of his.

And my bad on the "don't judge," I'd forgotten about the other part of your post.

I also wouldn't try to stop a man from avenging his loved ones.

I just don't want to see my government executing those people. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

I also wouldn't try to stop a man from avenging his loved ones.

I just don't want to see my government executing those people. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

So you approve of vigilante justice (which may or may not be painless and humane) but you disapprove of a government institution executing a murder by lethal injection which is largely painless if preformed correctly?

Its hard to comprehend because the logic is a bit funny.

Edited by Ruin

The Death Penalty.

Hmm.

My touch on the subject:

It is definitely a necessary punishment for the world. If someone commits murder, they should be murdered themselves. Now, the way we used to do it, was dreadful. But it was quickest. Hanging, shooting, gas room, etc, these were all previous ways of the death penalty, although some were more efficient than others, some just cruel. The electric chair for example, totally ruthless.

Anyways, the way we have it now, with a choice of lethal injection or firing squad is good.

I do think the death row needs to stop with all the appeals and get down to killing the people.