Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prinz

Need Some Cookin' Help

Well, soon my dad's flying away on business. Mom's raging at my brother, so she won't cook for me or him

And recipes (HEALTHY, PLEASE! I DON'T WANT MCDONALDS CRAP) which are simple and easy to make, and relatively taste good would be well appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows a relatively kid friendly easy to make sauce (which doesn't require a complex stove process) for noodles, would be awesome, 'cus I'll definitely be making plenty of noodles :unsure:

Thanks for you help!

:huh:

EDIT: I think I had 1 too many smileys

Edited by Matt E

What ingredients do we have to work with?

This.

It's hard to help you make food when we don't know what you have to make food with.

Taken from yours truly's blog:

Pasta "All'Amatriciana"

PREPARATION TIME: 40 minutes

DIFFICULTY: Easy

Ingredients for 4 persons:

• 400 grams pasta - preferably "short" varieties. (400 grams = 1 pound approx.)
  • 150 grams streaky bacon - possibly uncooked (150 grams = 5.25 ounces approx.)
  • 6 tomatoes
  • Half of a small onion
  • Pecorino cheese (or Parmesan)
  • Salt, pepper, olive oil
  • 1/10 liter of white wine (1/10 liters = 3.5 fl.oz approx.)

Tools needed:

• A pot such as this: pentola.jpg

• A "low" pan such as this: padella1.jpg

• A wooden spoon: s_wooden-spoon.jpg

• Two lids that must fit the high and low pans (not necessarily both at the same time)

• Any kind of draining tool, possibly a colander (not necessarily a Google one) colander.jpg

Preparation:

• Cut the half onion into as-thin-as-possible slices
  • Dice the streaky bacon - you should get dices that are not bigger than 1cm each side.
  • Wash and dry the tomatoes, then cut two to pieces.
  • Put the other four tomatoes in a mixer, in order to get a liquid sauce.
  • Set a (preferably steel) pot of water to boil.
  • Get a 'low' pan and put in the olive oil to heat.
  • When the olive oil is hot enough (it must *not* smoke), put the onion in until it gets a yellow-ish colour.
  • When it does, put the diced bacon in, and let it to heat for a very small while.
  • After a moment, put the white wine in the low pan until it is almost totally evaporated.
  • Add the tomatoes (both sauce and diced) and salt.
  • Mix everything with a wooden spoon and cover with a lid.
  • The resulting sauce must cook with a very low fire for around 30 minutes.
  • As soon as the water boils, add salt to the water and then cook the pasta. You don't know how to cook pasta? See the list at the bottom of the recipe.
  • If the sauce isn't done yet, add **SOME** butter to the pasta to prevent the pieces from sticking to each other.
  • When both the sauce and the pasta are done, add the pasta to the pan and mix it well with the sauce (the fire should still be going below the pan)
  • Serve hot, adding some grated Pecorino cheese at will.

image634732x.jpg

***HOW TO COOK PASTA for dummies

Preparation time: From 20 to 30 minutes

Difficulty: easy

• Fill a pot with water (Around 1 liter (2 pints) of water per serving) and set it to boil.
  • As soon as it boils, add one spoon of salt per serving to the water, and then throw the pasta in. An ideal serving size is about 100g (1/4 of a pound) of dry pasta per person, and slightly less if it's fresh egg-based pasta (lasagne, fettuccine, etc.)
  • Stir the water (with the pasta in) occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent the pasta pieces from sticking to each other (and to the pot).
  • About one minute before the cooking time is up, get a piece of pasta out of the water and check if it's done. (Check the cooking time on the pasta package) A "done" pasta is chewy, but not too much (which means that it's still raw) - and it isn't moldy either (which means it's been overcooked). Try splitting a piece of pasta with a fork: if it splits easily but not effortlessly, it's done.
  • As soon as it's done, drain the pasta (do it however you like).
  • Your pasta is ready - you just need toppings!

It's hard to help you make food when we don't know what you have to make food with.
It's not as if he's bound and gagged home - if he needs an ingredient, he can torrent go out and buy it. :huh: Edited by Arianna

Seeing as you live in Texas you should be able to get your hands on Bisquick. There are recipes for Southern-style biscuits and pancakes using that stuff, it's like bread magic. I've been trying to get an organic pizza recipe but the person who knows it won't cough it up :huh:

Good old sausage stirfry? Stirfry's rather easy.

Grab some sausage. Then grab some vegetables, whatever you want really. I had one recently that was red peppers, cabbage, red onions, and potatoes. Definitely a good choice.

Cut into small pieces, throw in pan. Stir, and fry. :huh: What's great with that is you don't have to have set proportions. If you want a lot of sausage, go for it. Lots of red onions? Sure. Try to keep 'em somewhat balanced though.

Definitely love sausage stirfry.

Any ingredients, provided it's not anything like caviar :huh:

Dad'll be flying away in 2 weeks, so a nice bit of time.

Graham: Thanks! :mellow: Maybe some Vegetable Oil or so inside (No clue, I suck at cooking) Sounds delicious though :/

Arianna: Thanks! Looks delicious; I'll probably try it... I just need to hope we'll have wine in our house, because mom doesn't normally drink wine, only dad :wub:

I'll see if I can persuade her, though!

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE!

:unsure:

Ok well you could make some noodles with sauteed chicken breasts.

Bring a large can of chopped tomatoes, along with a few herbs and spices (experimenting is fun but some good ones are basil and oregano) to a simmer and leave. Put some Olive oil on a pan, heat it up, and a half cup of chopped onions. Cook those until they are soft and brown. Then add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook those about 5-7 minutes a side, or until golden. Finally pour the tomato sauce you just made into the pan and mix well. Put the heat on the pan to low and let them sit there, stirring occasionally.

Now just cook the noodles to the desired softness. Take the chicken off the heat, plate and serve.

Does that sound good?

I just need to hope we'll have wine in our house, because mom doesn't normally drink wine, only dad
It's more for flavouring rather than anything else: you can do fine without if needed. Won't be as tasty and delicious, but it will still be a dish you can brag about. :huh:

I just need to hope we'll have wine in our house, because mom doesn't normally drink wine, only dad
It's more for flavouring rather than anything else: you can do fine without if needed. Won't be as tasty and delicious, but it will still be a dish you can brag about. :huh:

Plus you say you're young, so your mom might be a little "WTF."

Shouldn't be a big deal to go without it. :unsure:

Also, from my experiences the sheer amount of juices coming out of every damn thing I'm frying negated the need for vegetable oil, but someone can feel free to debate that with me.

Also, from my experiences the sheer amount of juices coming out of every damn thing I'm frying negated the need for vegetable oil, but someone can feel free to debate that with me.

It entirely depends on the dish! :mellow:

A low amount of fats (olive oil or butter) spread in the pan is recommendable since it helps with both spreading the heat of the pan *and* not getting the food stuck to the pan (because yes, you CAN get stuff to stick to Teflon). Of course, moderation in everything. A ministeak the size of a churchmouse doesn't need a litre of oil. :/

Ah, and regarding the 'big deal': some dishes definitely require wine (like Italian rice preparations you might know collectively as 'risotto' - not using wine should totally be considered a crime against mankind).

A low amount of fats (olive oil or butter) spread in the pan is recommendable since it helps with both spreading the heat of the pan *and* not getting the food stuck to the pan (because yes, you CAN get stuff to stick to Teflon). Of course, moderation in everything. A ministeak the size of a churchmouse doesn't need a litre of oil. :/

Ah, and regarding the 'big deal': some dishes definitely require wine (like Italian rice preparations you might know collectively as 'risotto' - not using wine should totally be considered a crime against mankind).

I meant with the sausage stirfry I had suggested him, and sausage has loads of fats in it that come out into the pan.

And you yourself said you could go without the wine.. I was just saying in reguards to your dish, the wine wasn't necessary, and since he's young, it's probably best to forego it.

Sometimes I use soup as a sauce for pasta if i feel lazy.

Also omelets are really easy to make, use up lots of random things you have lying around and are healthy too!

A little bit like beef in beer with lager. It needs proper beer, people..

But I agree about the wine. My Dad cooks a lot of Italian food and uses wine. When we don't have wine with it just tastes odd. My favourite Italian meal is chicken cacciatore, I think that's what it's called anyway. It's in some Jamie Oliver cook book :wub:.

I asked my mom last night, she was actually all right about it, I expected her to start raging :/

She said she had some white wine, so, I'll definitely make your dish Arianna! :mellow:

Sausage wise, I see what you're saying (about the fat), think I could do it with bacon? I'd love to try that.

Anyway, what's Kale? (referring to Choccy's recipe here), and I'm not even sure if our market (local H.E.B.) has it :unsure:

I asked my mom last night, she was actually all right about it, I expected her to start raging :/

She said she had some white wine, so, I'll definitely make your dish Arianna! :mellow:

Sausage wise, I see what you're saying (about the fat), think I could do it with bacon? I'd love to try that.

Anyway, what's Kale? (referring to Choccy's recipe here), and I'm not even sure if our market (local H.E.B.) has it :unsure:

Kale.

It's generally one of the chilled foods in the produce section.

Fried rice! Anyone can make it, even with a skillet!

Grilled cheese

Bread

butter

cheese

fire

______

Grilled cheese

My mom never cooks for me, she just drops me off at the grocery store with her debit card and i shop and cook for myself.