Sal's RuneScape Forum

Maybe It Isn't The Community But Us?

Luftey

First off, I'd like to say that I am 19, and this thread is geared towards people in my age group, but hopefully everyone can relate to this.

Raise your keyboards in the air if you've heard something along these lines before (Can't raise your hand like in the IRL mmo :huh:):

-The RS community just stinks now days

-The RS community isn't as good as it was back in the good ol' days ('04-'05)

- Turn all your chats to "friends" to avoid the annoying twelve year olds

But perhaps, maybe, it isn't the community, but instead us and our changing perspectives. Let me explain.

Back in 2004/2005, RS was, to an extent, the fad. At the cafeteria you could always find some kids chatting about it and their latest happenings on the game.

During this same time frame, the other social networking methods hadn't become as popular as they are now.

Consider the following:

-Back in those days, none of my friends texted and most didn't have a cellphone.

-Very few, if any, were into the social networking sites. A few used MSN, but wasn't overly populer

-Getting toghether required getting our parents to chauffer us around, wasn't like it is now where we can just grab our car keys and go

Thus, RS came in. To an extent, it became our social networking. We could chat with our friends from school and just "hang out". Something fun, ask those friends who used to play what level they were when they stopped, I bet most will be in the level 40-60 range. Why? Most of our time was spent socializing and not grinding.

Thus our "community" was largely composed of real life friends.

Also, the age factor. 5-6 years ago, I was 13'ish. Pretty close to 12 :unsure: Heck, 12-13 year old's are not very immature. I like to think I was mature, but facts are, I was not. And 12 year olds talk about what 12 years olds do. We were those kids we complain about in game now. Just discovering that that cute girl doesn't have "cuties" and that sort of stuff. Furthermore, using excessive slang/mild profanity/talking about naughty deeds and being "cool" was in style. And heck, acting like that almost made you feel like those cool high schoolers (ie us 18-19 year olds now). Though facts are, it wasn't/isn't cool and is just stupidity and we don't act like that :mellow:

But anyways, we now come to the "moving away phase"

Hitting middle school, and especially 9th grade and high school saw the ranks of real life friends who played rapidly shrink. Games like Halo etc. became more appealing. People got jobs, more went to other networking sites like myspace/facebook. Or, just moved on with life, maybe even a girlfriend.

Thus, are social crowd became more and more E-friends. Now, years down the rode, only 2 of my real life friends still play, and another logs on a few times a years.

I've had/have some great "E-friends" most of whom are my same age, and they say the same thing. All my IRL friends have quit...and usually agree that many players are annoying. Heck, look at your Pm's your friends who are 18+ talk differently than friends who are -18 usually.

But back on topic, the new generation of players are the same 12 year olds we used to be, the community hasnt changed, it has never been great, just we are no longer veiwing things with the same immaturity that we once did.

Example: On the VERY first day I played (I think it was early 2004) a guy attempted to scam me, and if it hadn't been for my friend who was sitting next to me, I would have fell for it. So really, the community has always stunk, we just weren't aware of it.

Anyways, thats my thoughts. Agree/disagree?

Arr... The game doesn't grow up with you, but the community seems to replenish with the same age groups.

For me though, it's also the lack of new and exciting things to do, aside from events happening outside of my RS career (life).

Edited by DeeKay

Haha ya I agree. I was wearing my 3rd age range while at the GE yesterday and there was another in 3rd age and we got to talking, and we added each other. I could tell by his conversation he was fairly mature, and it turned out he is 20. Was really refreshing to have a normal conversation without the "lol -bathroom humor joke" or the "omg omg -5 pm long step by step litany of what he is doing :huh:

Thats actually what got me thinking about this. Also, just me, or is there a correlation between age and usage of terms such as "y" "u" 2morrow" etc.

Edited by Luftey

I usually only use those abbreviations if I'm in a hurry, injured, tired or just feeling lazy. Or if I'm talking like that on purpose.

Perhaps lower age groups use those as they have not fully developed keyboard skills? I know that when I was younger I typed around 3 words a minute. As I played RS that improved, and finally, writing a story for the RSOF made me appreciate grammar and spelling to the fullest. A few years on (almost 4 years now since I wrote that story, wow) perhaps my spellings and grammar have gone down to an average level.

That said, I know some people who just type like that to type like that.

I once knew a 17 year old who would misspell words and abbreviate you to "u" and the like on purpose when speaking to friends. Don't ask me why, I just saw him type out his sentence and then.. "correct" it?

Yay for writing here instead of doing my overflowing homework assignments.

Agree and disagree.

We all have those moments when some guy is like trying to eat our innards out/being just a complete idiot - name calling for the fun of it, saying discard, so on and so forth.

THIS IS MY VIEW, AND I PVP LOADS. Might just be that, I realize that in PvM and you're just killing something next to a guy, then, well, he won't normally start saying discard, etc.

:huh:

Thats actually what got me thinking about this. Also, just me, or is there a correlation between age and usage of terms such as "y" "u" 2morrow" etc.

Yes, there most definitely is.

I've noticed a lot of the higher level players are the mature ones, because they're the ones who are older and still enjoy the game. Most people level 3-85 are the idiots. But yeah, I totally remember the good times at recess talking about our adventures. I also remember feeling so cool when I was 12 and playing, all like, "Mhm, you know I'm cool." Even though I wasn't at all. :huh:

It is us, the mainstream changes as we grow, our attitude on life as we grow up changes.

Runescape doesn't become the focal point of our life forever, eventually our tastes changes, our outlook on life changes.

The reason why we think the Rs community has gone south is mainly because of the fact that more and more people our age become harder and harder to find as they tend to outgrow such games.

Its not the 13 year kids that ruin it (the community) for those that are older, but more its the lack of people with the maturity level as you have, as such maturity level gets harder and harder to find as you grow older.

Its not the 13 year kids that ruin it (the community) for those that are older, but more its the lack of people with the maturity level as you have, as such maturity level gets harder and harder to find as you grow older.

I agree that it being 13 doesn't always mean immaturity, it is a common stereotype however. Though those of a lower age tend to have a decreased amount of maturity.

But yes, if only there was a server that held all people who are more or less fairly mature...would be blissful :huh:

Arr... The game doesn't grow up with you, but the community seems to replenish with the same age groups.

For me though, it's also the lack of new and exciting things to do, aside from events happening outside of my RS career (life).

I don't know.. Before you met people that actually talked to you. But nowadays that doesn't happen.

I'm going to talk about economy first before "community" it leads into it..

Like IRL economy, the RS "Middle Class" is slowly declining, so there are only the Rich and the Poor (the irony of ancient times?)

So all the rich people want to do is be rich and talk to the rich.

The poor people struggle, and hate everything in their path.

So the poor fight, struggle and eventually end their life. Not ever being able to become one of the "rich people".

I usually only use those abbreviations if I'm in a hurry, injured, tired or just feeling lazy. Or if I'm talking like that on purpose.

Perhaps lower age groups use those as they have not fully developed keyboard skills? I know that when I was younger I typed around 3 words a minute. As I played RS that improved, and finally, writing a story for the RSOF made me appreciate grammar and spelling to the fullest. A few years on (almost 4 years now since I wrote that story, wow) perhaps my spellings and grammar have gone down to an average level.

I once knew a 17 year old who would misspell words and abbreviate you to "u" and the like on purpose when speaking to friends. Don't ask me why, I just saw him type out his sentence and then.. "correct" it?

I was typing at 80 WPM at age 9. NERDDDD.

Yes, there most definitely is.

I've noticed a lot of the higher level players are the mature ones, because they're the ones who are older and still enjoy the game. Most people level 3-85 are the idiots. But yeah, I totally remember the good times at recess talking about our adventures. I also remember feeling so cool when I was 12 and playing, all like, "Mhm, you know I'm cool." Even though I wasn't at all. :huh:

On the contrary, I feel that higher levels are the ones ruining the community. The ones who are like "Hi, I'm an elitist nice doggy! and I can troll anyone I want because I have good stats."

You can just ignore the low levels pretty easily. The high levels are the ones that know how to tick you off.

When I think about the youth of today, I usually picture some punky-potukus kid with 'es pants draped around 'dem knees and the hippity-hop music and the shoob-wap-wap.

Although I don't think that's someone who would be into the game. :huh: Or maybe it would be? :mellow:

Yeah, I can relate to what you're saying. A lot of my old RL friends used to play. A while ago (about four-five years ago I think) we went to our community center on the weekends and went pking together. We all quit sometime late in middle school. I really missed those times. :/

Which makes me realize that I was too immature at one point, using "lol" and "haha gf n00b" as my pixelated enemies fell to their knees. Which also makes me realize that whenever I get/got pked, It's usually by some punk kid and his RL friends saying "lol" and "haha gf n00b" as I fall to my pixelated knees. :unsure:

Perhaps now I can be mad at myself for pissing off so many older kids that are now college graduates? :)

Yes, level of maturity is usually matched with age, the older you get, the more mature you are. But that doesn't mean we can segregate those hippity-hop kids and their shoob-wap-wap friends out of a good conversation! Sure, communication/literacy may be an issue, but they might mention something that reminds you that you were like them one day and age, and you could possibly develop a connection between those kids and your younger self. :wub:

Hopefully I made sense. :wub:

It is just me, or is this thread pointing out the obvious? (Please correct me if i missed the point).

The game is aimed at 12+. Hence that age group playing.

The game has not changed, we have. The mature age group playing (us) are just the desperate older generation holding onto a thread of our youth.

The community hasn't changed, we just out grew runescape.

More or less, I believe that is what the thread is saying.

However, what I've always found, is that Runescape would be dull if I was jsut doing it with the community. Instead, I choose to frequent a CC, so I can have nice conversations while playing. I also have IRL friends that play Runescape. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't still be playing, and therefore I'm pretty sure that the community doesn't matter.

i pretty much always use abbreviations on rs because its becoming more of a habit and its more easier to type still

I only remember the good community from classic where we always met up with random people (became friends later) and did the f2p quests. This doesn't happen anymore (except for maybe dragon slayer). I still remember doing the Black Knight quest and meeting a random person and wondering why our cabbage wasn't working (he was helping someone else too) and eventually he figured we needed the draynor one. That was a good community.

Its not the fact that kids are getting worse. This is a misconception. Its simple that as a community gets larger, its natural for the "tight-knit" community feeling to get worse because they'll be a much more diverse group of people whom it is likely a few you wouldn't naturally talk to etc. Back in 01, people were more or less the same, i.e. just wanting to play a random game that their friends told them about. That was pretty much it. Now its for varying other reasons.

i pretty much always use abbreviations on rs because its becoming more of a habit and its more easier to type still

At times it's almost necessarily, however, I try my best to correct my words. As people say, "You are as intelligent as you present yourself." This applies to this most definitely.

As for people who act immature, it really is annoying, as runescape originally wasn't made for 7 year old's to play. Years ago, it was very chill people who really didn't care about anything but chilling with others. Now, it's EXTREMELY level based. People sort of forget about the most important aspect of the game, which seems to have been forgotten. This is, COMMUNICATION!

I only remember the good community from classic where we always met up with random people (became friends later) and did the f2p quests. This doesn't happen anymore (except for maybe dragon slayer). I still remember doing the Black Knight quest and meeting a random person and wondering why our cabbage wasn't working (he was helping someone else too) and eventually he figured we needed the draynor one. That was a good community.

One reason for this, is probably the grand exchange. Before the exchange, people would have to communicate with each other to sell ones good's, or to buy another's. Now, there isn't that immediate exchange, but instead, they added a middle man to the equation. This was just one big thing. Sure they have added things over the years such as clan chat, and updated private messaging system's, however, there just is that lacking quality of communication that I just don't think can ever be brought back.

Edited by Luke1

Idk if this has already been said cause I didn't read all the comments, but one thing ive noticed that nobody uses public chat anymore. Everybody is always just talking in cc's. kinda a bummer to me, there's never interesting conversations going on at training spots etc. anymore.

Idk if this has already been said cause I didn't read all the comments, but one thing ive noticed that nobody uses public chat anymore. Everybody is always just talking in cc's. kinda a bummer to me, there's never interesting conversations going on at training spots etc. anymore.

I'd have to agree with that. Most of my daily communication takes place inside the clan chat I'm in or PM's with my friend. I rarely initiate conversations with random players, so don't really use my public chat all that much.