Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heb0

New Ban System: We Need Your Feedback!

As you may know from reading [this topic], the staff has been working on a revision of the way our Warning and Banning system works to hopefully make it a bit better. We've taken your suggestions and worked out a new system. Before we implement it, however, we'd like to see what everyone thinks.

These are the proposed changes:

1)
New Max/Min Warn levels:
Instead of the warn level system ranging from -7 to 7,
it will now range from -8 to 8

2)
New procedure for the 6th, 7th, and 8th warns:
The sixth warn will now be accompanied, in most cases, by a
one-month suspension
. Although it will be ultimately up to the judgment of the moderating team, this will be standard procedure the majority of the time. We will do this to keep people from going quickly from 6 warns to banned in a couple of days like sometimes happens now.

3)
Temporary and Permanent Bans:
Instead of a straight "once you're banned, you're gone" system, we will give a
one-year suspension along with the 7th warn
. This is a bit like a ban review system, except it eliminates the difficulties of banning members and later unbanning them.
After the 8th warn, a member will be permanently banned

4)
Ban Reviews for People Who are Currently Banned:
As you've probably realized, this system would leave out people who are banned at the moment. To account for this, we will allow ban reviews for anyone who is currently banned as long as it's been
one year
since their ban. The staff will handle each review as a group and make decisions on a case-by-case basis.

So what do you think? We'll be accepting comments for a week or so, and then, if any changes are necessary, we'll make them and officially implement the new procedure. :huh:

Thanks,
Sal's Realm of Runescape Forum Staff

Everything seems fine with these new rules and it should be at least a bit better than the current rules, don't have any objections so that's all from me :huh:

It looks good to me, I guess we'll really know when we see it in practice.

The 7th 8th ban thing is a really good idea imo, it allows people to grow up and mature but gets rid of those who are just idiots to the core :huh:

These new ideas seem good, but I have one question. How does a banned member submit an "unbanning request" if they can't log into/access the forums to make a post?

I think this is a great idea. If someone can get to 7 warns and then knowingly come back and get an 8th warn after they are clear they'll be permanently banned, then that is ample warning. On the positive side it lets people who have changed to come back and have a fresh start if they're ready for it, and I don't see any issues with this if it's manageable and not too hard to implement.

Good ideas. I support them completely, if you can't behave after 7 warnings and you've had your chance and you know where you stand you just don't belong to be here.

These new ideas seem good, but I have one question. How does a banned member submit an "unbanning request" if they can't log into/access the forums to make a post?
There is a function to send messages when you don't have access. Although you can usually see your warn log and will know how long you are banned for presumably. Edited by Fatalysm

I believe a new subforum would be created where only members in the "banned" group would have posting permissions. They would be able to submit their requests there.

I believe a new subforum would be created where only members in the "banned" group would have posting permissions. They would be able to submit their requests there.

I have an odd feeling that banned members would just rage or troll there o.O

These are all excellent ideas, however I disagree with the new eighth warn. I think seven is quite enough.

That seems fair enough. The warn rating by the mini-profile still says the min and max warns are 7.

I have an odd feeling that banned members would just rage or troll there o.O

Then we can just mute them. It won't be very hard. A simple zero-tolerance policy will be easy to implement.

It's a great idea. A lot of the ideas that were discussed in the original topic are aflow, and I think that it's a good change.

I like the 8th perma-ban. You get 6 chances, a month suspension, a year's suspension....and then you're out. You know what they say about 3 strikes....

I like how we give them second chances. I am a strong believe in them.

Suggestions....

1.) Un perma-ban after about 2 years. That way, they can come back maybe later in life, and return to the community. The same should go for IP bans and such.

2.) Ban reviews only for the 6th and 7th bans. A review for an 8th ban? Eh, I don't think you really don't need that.

3.) No minus warns until 2 months after suspensions. That will give us some idea of whether they have truly matured or whether they are simply on fake behavior.

It's very hard to be on impeccable behavior for 2 months. Not that I would know.... :huh:

Anyways....

I think that this system is a great idea. It's effective and fair. Second chances are always a big plus. :unsure:

Fantastic job, staff!

On another note:

I like how the staff are taking feedback. It's a great way to take in opinions.

Increasing max/min is pointless. Hardly anyone is in the range of more than 5 warns, why do these people deserve more chances? Just re-scale so they don't get a 4th warn or something...

I actually agree with all of this; the perma-ban appeal is great.

Full support.

That seems fair enough. The warn rating by the mini-profile still says the min and max warns are 7.

Spot the important word :unsure:

And I still think we're far too lenient but oh well, what do you guys think? :huh:

Spot the important word :unsure:

And I still think we're far too lenient but oh well, what do you guys think? :huh:

I think by far 7 warns is enough, but i don't think if gives older members a chance.

Does this mean everyone with a 7 rating gets a chance? I mean everyone who currently has 7.

Edited by Fatalysm

I feel like these changes would be good, although -8 would probably be near impossible to get. :huh:

It'll definitely give people time to mature instead of straight ban.

I feel like these changes would be good, although -8 would probably be near impossible to get. :huh:

It'll definitely give people time to mature instead of straight ban.

Dani will get it soon enough.

I like it. I was a little worried at first but after reading through it I think it sounds great.

A one-year suspension for seven warns? I'm not sure members will remember or want to come back after that time, unless they feel like flametrollwtf-ing. :huh:

+1 with Jamster. It's a good idea. Hope it turns out well....The banned users are probably still here anyways. (as guests, other accounts, etc.)

+1 with Jamster. It's a good idea. Hope it turns out well....The banned users are probably still here anyways. (as guests, other accounts, etc.)

Ya they are....

They trolling your posts

Stalking your blog

Watching you sleep

Watching the pronz you watch.

They follow us waiting for the day they get their revenge.

And They will...

Someday.....

Someday.....

A one-year suspension for seven warns? I'm not sure members will remember or want to come back after that time, unless they feel like flametrollwtf-ing. :huh:

Well 7 currently is infinite ban so I don't think people will complain about it being too long. :unsure:

Personally, I don't see much wrong with the seven warn limit. If anything, I think we should lower it to five or six since we're a bit too lenient sometimes.

However, I do like the idea behind ban reviews.